Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Pm1e wrote: »
    I was on the outside, the inside (left side) on this bit of road is impassable with parked cars, and the traffic was at a stand still so I was going up the drivers right hand side, same as you see motor bikes doing.

Oh oh...<puts hands over ears and waits for backlash from people who would genuinely have waited several miles back in the queue of cars because that's what the law says>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I was on the outside, the inside (left side) on this bit of road is impassable with parked cars, and the traffic was at a stand still so I was going up the drivers right hand side, same as you see motor bikes doing.

Yeah, I do it regularly myself. I try to watch out for drivers turning right, or darting into free parking spaces. I'm not sure you could ever predict some eejit pulling out to do a u-turn without checking his mirror.

Again, just for curiosity - were you on your own side of the road, or had you crossed over to the far side to overtake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

RainyDay wrote: »
    Yeah, I do it regularly myself. I try to watch out for drivers turning right, or darting into free parking spaces. I'm not sure you could ever predict some eejit pulling out to do a u-turn without checking his mirror.

Again, just for curiosity - were you on your own side of the road, or had you crossed over to the far side to overtake?

this is it, I was on the right hand side of the cars in front of me. All of the cyclists on this stretch of road do it as the inside is just lined with cars, you couldn't get a ruler down it. not travelling at any great speed as its residential. (what cyclist honestly hangs on behind a 20+ line of cars not moving). Was coming down, and he decided to do a u turn (presumably to try another route) and this is when he clipped me

I know these are fairly dated but they follow my way of thinking, I always remember someone saying the right was always safer than inside on the left. The right is where all car drivers are usually looking.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bikes-overtaking-cars-stationary-traffic
    http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/7-mistakes-you-are-making-with-your-cycling-and-how-you-can-correct-them/

What do people think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I know these are fairly dated but they follow my way of thinking, I always remember someone saying the right was always safer than inside on the left. The right is where all car drivers are usually looking.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bikes-overtaking-cars-stationary-traffic
    http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/7-mistakes-you-are-making-with-your-cycling-and-how-you-can-correct-them/

What do people think?

It depends on the traffic coming the other way - if there's a steady stream, I'll go up the LHS. If there's no traffic, I go up the RHS.

I always try and stay close enough to the line of traffic so I'm visible in their mirror, but far enough out so I won't get doored.

• Advertisement

It depends on the traffic coming the other way - if there's a steady stream, I'll go up the LHS. If there's no traffic, I go up the RHS.

I always try and stay close enough to the line of traffic so I'm visible in their mirror, but far enough out so I won't get doored.

Sounds about right, some fine lines there. Never any traffic coming that way as its all city centre bound. Either way, nasty experience. My first crash in about 7 years of road cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Had a very enjoyable commute home on my usual route tonight. 31km with 20km in pitch black darkness, well ... apart from 1100 lumens of light! Going through the Moycullen bog there was a blanket of thick fog making things hard to see from more than 10 metres, but a perfectly clear sky above.

Met a cyclist coming the other way with an equally bright front light. Despite being only metres apart on the other side of the road, I could only see his light and hear him say hello!

Average 29.8km/h :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/218209108

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

Missed the club spin on Sunday, so decided to head out and do a lap of the Blessington lakes this morning.

All was well leaving Clonsilla, it was showery in Saggart, by the time I hit Manor Kilbride it was lashing down!

Headed through Lacken & Valleymount in a downpour, and back home through Blessington,..
    No coffee stop, I decided to keep going as my legs were already wet through. (Happy I brought the rain cape, enough fluids & fig rolls).

Totally soaked getting home.!
    Probably wasn't my brightest idea ever but an enjoyable spin all the same..:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

quinnp wrote: »
    Totally soaked getting home.!
    Probably wasn't my brightest idea ever but an enjoyable spin all the same..:o

So it was a bright idea ;)

Theme of following post: Patience is a virtue.

Commuting to work this morning, through Ranelagh heading towards Clonskeagh, lots of other commuter cyclists, wet weather and heavy car traffic making it all understandably slow.
    Muppet cycilst ahead is being all jerky, erratic and impatient, he doesn't have time for all this slow, busy nonsense and tries to squeeze in through a teeny tiny space which exists between another cyclist in the cycle lane and a car slowly moving with the other traffic to the right of the cycle lane.
    Erratic cyclist discovers too late that there isn't (and never was) enough room for his impatient overtake and bumps into side of car nearly making him fall on top of cyclist to his left.
    Erratic cyclist hits the side of the car aggressively, continues his squeeze through, despite forcing other cyclist into gutter and flicks the finger at the car driver who had done nothing wrong.

What a dingbat.
    He continues on, having to stop at the red lights anyway a few metres ahead.

Impatience leads to needless aggro and dangerous moves.

MB Lacey wrote: »

Commuting to work this morning, through Ranelagh heading towards Clonskeagh, lots of other commuter cyclists, wet weather and heavy car traffic making it all understandably slow.
    Muppet cycilst ahead is being all jerky, erratic and impatient, he doesn't have time for all this slow, busy nonsense and tries to squeeze in through a teeny tiny space which exists between another cyclist in the cycle lane and a car slowly moving with the other traffic to the right of the cycle lane.
    Erratic cyclist discovers too late that there isn't (and never was) enough room for his impatient overtake and bumps into side of car nearly making him fall on top of cyclist to his left.
    Erratic cyclist hits the side of the car aggressively, continues his squeeze through, despite forcing other cyclist into gutter and flicks the finger at the car driver who had done nothing wrong.

What a dingbat.

Impatience leads to needless aggro and dangerous moves.

Don't forget making cyclists in general look like dicks, just like the 'red light crew'..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

cycling in, catch with fellow cyclist/commuter I happen to know at red lights. Lights go green, we continue on having a wee chat whilst a very impatient taxi driver beeps the horn in his mad hurry to get to the next set of stopped cars, clearly visible 80m up the road. Tosser.
    Red lights. We all stop. The taxi driver tells me I was in his way and should have been over to the left. I ask him where did he think he was going and aren't we all stopped now anyway but ruined it by following by my telling him he would likely die young of stress and a stress related ulcer. He drove off.
    I then felt stressed for the remainder of my commute.
    Lesson. Ignore impatient taxi drivers. As the lad I was originally talking to did!

MB Lacey wrote: »

What a dingbat.
    I don't believe this story at all. You say he stopped at the red light?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Some days I wish I had a turbo!

I got a slow 40km this morning. Had the wind in sections but when I didnt it was slow and wet. Still a few more km done. ALmost at 10k km for the year

back on the bike this morning, thought I'd have been a bit more shakey after Mondays crash, loved the journey in even in that horrible weather. Anything to get away from the dart, plenty of puddles along the rock road though, expect it to be worse by this eve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I don't believe this story at all. You say he stopped at the red light?

Only because he had to, he was turning right at a busy cross roads.

Cycle in this morning was pretty uneventful.

Was happy to see proper full on rain before setting off, but then it eased off to random drops.
    When I was expecting and ready to do battle with apocalyptic weather, random drops were quite disappointing and a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Went out along Clontarf for an hour this afternoon in the lashing rain purely to try out my new rain jacket:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-membrane-waterproof-cycling-jacket-red-white-id_8221264.html

Nice to have the cycle lane more or less to myself. The jacket did the business too and the sun came out for the last 15 mins :)

Just need good gloves, overshoes and bib tights now !!

Thinking of ordering one of these today, Just wondered your opinion on it after some use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A day late, sorry.. Torrential rainfall as we all know, lost the front wheel and came down heavy on my left (but hey don't I fall for laughs in Judo lol ~ I wish).. Got up and brushed myself off, clipped in and carried on my merry way.

Going through the fruit markets area (off Caple St, Dublin) and I pick up my fifth puncture in two weeks (hence the Schwalbe tyres thread last night).. Replaced the tube and thanked my Blackburn SL Mini pump once again (a seriously good pump) and off again..

328296.jpg

Into work for a shower ~ the water is freezing.. In a temper I put on my jacket and burst the zipper ~ I've to cycle home in this jacket later!!.

Overall a very frustrating cycle to, post cycle & home yesterday ~ I've taken today off lol

A day late, sorry.. Torrential rainfall as we all know, lost the front wheel and came down heavy on my left (but hey don't I fall for laughs in Judo lol ~ I wish).. Got up and brushed myself off, clipped in and carried on my merry way.

Going through the fruit markets area (off Caple St, Dublin) and I pick up my fifth puncture in two weeks (hence the Schwalbe tyres thread last night).. Replaced the tube and thanked my Blackburn SL Mini pump once again (a seriously good pump) and off again..

328296.jpg

Into work for a shower ~ the water is freezing.. In a temper I put on my jacket and burst the zipper ~ I've to cycle home in this jacket later!!.

Overall a very frustrating cycle to, post cycle & home yesterday ~ I've taken today off lol

It never rains it pours, never more appropriate than now. Got a flat myself on the way home yesterday, had 3km left and no spare so jogged the remainder, incident free ride in this morning so lets see whats in store at 6pm. Must check out that pump you mentioned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Going through the fruit markets area (off Caple St, Dublin) and I pick up my fifth puncture in two weeks (hence the Schwalbe tyres thread last night)..

Out yesterday evening myself on a short enough trip and picked up my first puncture of the year. I was on the hybrid, and had swapped out my bullet proof Marathon Supremes for Schwalbe CX tyres to do the canals, and forget to change them back. Lot of broken glass around Marlay park caught me, though my own fault for using the cycle path rather than the road. (I know, cycling on the cyle path, c'mon now Ted).

FWIW, the Durano plus and Marathon supremes are largely bullet proof, and both hold the road very well. One puncture each over two year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Road at Lambs Cross completely blocked. One car being pulled out by a JCB.

I made it through with wet feet :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

... SNIP ...
    ... Replaced the tube and thanked my Blackburn SL Mini pump once again (a seriously good pump) and off again..
    ... SNIP ...

I have the Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini Pump (review here). This is about the same length as the Blackburn SL, but has the big advantage of having a separate hose that connects to the valve, minimising any risk of snapping it off.

I was very happy with it 2 weeks ago when I got a puncture: link :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

route66 wrote: »
    I have the Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini Pump (review here). This is about the same length as the Blackburn SL, but has the big advantage of having a separate hose that connects to the valve, minimising any risk of snapping it off.
    Until you lose the hose. Which we did.
    In tell us about your cycle news my poor cycling shoes have been both wet and dry twice now for 4.5 days in a row.

Road at Lambs Cross completely blocked. One car being pulled out by a JCB.

I made it through with wet feet :-)

Whereabouts was this? I came down from Lamb Doyles and turned left down by the Central Bank unscathed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Weepsie wrote: »
    Day off so went out for a lap of Howth (Sutton Side) from Navan road and Back via Glasnevin. Nice enough day but started raining as I was approaching the Summit (very slowly too) and I nearly bought myself a Gabba in Bike Hub as a result. Did 49 km anyway in a little under 2 hours moving time. Still useless at hills

We were out in Howth at the same time so!.

The lads in the Bike Hub are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Weepsie wrote: »
    Day off so went out for a lap of Howth (Sutton Side) from Navan road and Back via Glasnevin. Nice enough day but started raining as I was approaching the Summit (very slowly too) and I nearly bought myself a Gabba in Bike Hub as a result. Did 49 km anyway in a little under 2 hours moving time. Still useless at hills

Where you in a new boards jersey ? I was around Howth during lunch.

Its amazing how many man hours are being milked from repairing the surface in the village. I'm defo in the wrong line of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got out today for 23km. First spin in about 6 weeks or so because of time off due to knee pain.
    Knee still hurt today at about the midpoint of the cycle but went away again after 3 or 4 km.
    It'll be a slow road back to fitness. Physio can't see anything wrong with knee. Bike fit and cleats double checked before I started back too.

Did a lap of Howth in the torrential rain just before lunch. Good to see a few people out on the bikes.

First time on the bike in two weeks so slower than usual! Need a new rain jacket. My cheap pennys rain jacket flaps around way too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

rtmie wrote: »
    Thinking of ordering one of these today, Just wondered your opinion on it after some use.

I've just had it out the once, so too early to say it's a brilliant jacket.

It doesn't keep much heat in, that's one thing.
    I didn't have enough layers and so was cold. Had short sleeve jersey with lightweight arm warmers.
    My arms felt damp at times but I think that was just cold rain pressing against jacket pressing against arm warmers.
    Checked gear when home and pretty sure no water penetrated.

Bottom line is I was out for 1 hr+ in cold heavy rain and stayed dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... had 3km left and no spare so jogged the remainder...
    Why no spare and did you jog in cycling shoes? :eek:
    route66 wrote: »

I was very happy with it 2 weeks ago when I got a puncture: link :)
    I have one myself - great product.
    Peterx wrote: »
    Until you lose the hose. Which we did..
    How did you lose it? It screws into the other side of the pump when not in use. :confused:
    ...The lads in the Bike Hub are great.
    ... but they certainly know how to charge - €55 to fit their cheapest chain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

G1032 wrote: »
    Got out today for 23km. First spin in about 6 weeks or so because of time off due to knee pain.
    Knee still hurt today at about the midpoint of the cycle but went away again after 3 or 4 km.
    It'll be a slow road back to fitness. Physio can't see anything wrong with knee. Bike fit and cleats double checked before I started back too.
    Maybe a doctor/scan is required to diagnose the cause so it can be treated effectively. Just because they don't know what the problem is doesn't mean there isn't one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement