Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Maybe a doctor/scan is required to diagnose the cause so it can be treated effectively. Just because they don't know what the problem is doesn't mean there isn't one.

Ya. Totally agree. If there is no improvement over the coming weeks I'll go to doctor

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

135km down to Athlone. Just under 30km/h average but should have been better. Exploded over the last 20km. Happy out thought ast big one before junior comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

G1032 wrote: »
    Got out today for 23km. First spin in about 6 weeks or so because of time off due to knee pain.
    Knee still hurt today at about the midpoint of the cycle but went away again after 3 or 4 km.
    It'll be a slow road back to fitness. Physio can't see anything wrong with knee. Bike fit and cleats double checked before I started back too.

Like yourself with knee trouble physio said it was fine but pain persisted bit the bullet got a scan done I have a torn cartilage and bone fragment behind the patella, Im waiting to see a surgeon to get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Nice spin today, a bit chilly at times but the new winter gear was the business. Longwood - Enfield - Kilcock - Maynooth - Dunboyne - Batterstown - Trim - Longwood, 83.4k in 3:04:55 @ 27.1 kmh. Took it easy tbh, was trying to stay in control of the heart rate
    Just coming up to the front door of the house, the kids were out playing with the neighbours and the missus and a few other parents were chatting away. I turned to say hello to them, forgot to unclip and keeled right over in front of my door. Busted my knee and put a hole in the new Bib shorts. First time to fall off the bike since getting the clips apart from when I was trying them out for the first time in the garden and I do it in front of an audience. Disgusted. Bike is fine though :o

http://www.strava.com/activities/219836317

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

macadam wrote: »
    Like yourself with knee trouble physio said it was fine but pain persisted bit the bullet got a scan done I have a torn cartilage and bone fragment behind the patella, Im waiting to see a surgeon to get it sorted.

Ouch. Don't like the sound of that.
    Did you twist your knee badly or something?? I've one last appointment with physio and if problem persists after that I'll have to get a scan done too.
    What kind of recovery time you looking at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Did you twist your knee badly or something?? I've one last appointment with physio and if problem persists after that I'll have to get a scan done too.
    Yeah twisted it, I had a good physio who was spot on with the patella catching a bit of bone but the cartilage is the real worry not sure how long meeting the surgeon mid Dec and if keyhole is needed itll be mid to late Jan, should be back on the bike within a month I presume ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Maybe a doctor/scan is required to diagnose the cause so it can be treated effectively. Just because they don't know what the problem is doesn't mean there isn't one.

I can 1000% endorse this. Was getting some slight knee pain after runs back in March /April including slight stiffness which went away after 20 minutes or so so I ignored it. HUGE mistake. I was doing an easy treadmill run Good Friday morning and my knee suddenly collapsed. Long story short is I ended up having to have knee surgery in August followed by two months on two crutches with no weight bearing whatsoever allowed on my operated knee. My running days are now permanently over but I'm fine to cycle (so I bought a road bike and now love it!!) but despite being able to get out for two hour spins as I did both yesterday and today I'm struggling to walk without pain and there's a 50% chance I'll have to get a partial knee replacement in a few months unless the daily exercise and weights regime I'm on changes my walking dynamic so the damaged part of the knee no longer takes my weight as I walk. I basically have no cartilage or lining left in the most used area of my knee. Golf is almost 100% over which is depressing as I'm a member of a club and love playing.

Not cool given I'm only 46!!!

Moral of the story - don't ignore knee pain. If it doesn't go away with some physio get your GP to refer you for an MRI. The damage I did to my knee AFTER I got the initial symptoms are what did most of the damage for me :(

I don't want to sound like the grim reaper but in my case my GP diagnosed runners knee (chromaggia patella) and sent me for Physio. 8 weeks and €500 later the physio threw in the towel and I went for an MRI. The additional damage I did during the 8 weeks going to physio (just walking around, no sport) was significant.

Hindsight and all that :rolleyes: See 2:15 in the video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My spins are getting few and far between recently due to family stuff and the deteriorating weather. Thankfully I got out today and headed up Cruagh that I'd been avoiding. I got up it no bother. The last km before the Glencullen turn off is steep as fook but doable. I went from there to Glencree and down to Enniskerry. At times I'd have been glad of an oar or two. There was some amount of water coming down those hills. I went from there to Enniskerry and Bray.

The hill up Killiney from the south is tough enough but at least it's short.

A slow day but 66km @22.2km/h up 800m and home in time for the rugby and hearty beef stew served up in front the TV by Mrs. crosstownk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Got out on Saturday morning, really fresh weather and still building up the distance and time since my back injury. Felt good on the run into home and pushed the pace.

http://app.strava.com/activities/219371110

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Today I got back on a bike outside for the first time since crashing in August and it was AWESOME. I did 3 laps of the carpark before the shoulder said no more but it was deadly. I can reach the brakes now with both arms-won't be long before I can use them with both hands yeahie!

This is my face now: :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Left home today in a hurry to do some training in Phoenix Park - tried to clip the right foot and woooo! - almost fell on the road.

Forgot to put the chain on.

D'oh.

The rest of the spin was pretty unremarkable except for a few top ten places in Phoeno ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My puncture woes continue!!.. Two today!.

After seven punctures in just short of three weeks I've no confidence in getting in to work or home now, but I'm stuck for money atm so no new tyres yet :(

Oh, headphone cable broke (after two punctures) so no music ~ and I hate cycling without music.

Got home, showered, lay down and licked my wounds.. I'm fighting in three more weeks so trying to concentrate on training for that and forgetting about my cycling woes ~ but its hard :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Does 3:30am count as "Today"

Dark.. Crisp .. No wind .. No traffic (1 car), a set of cheapo BBB lights and my trusty 531pro Peugeot under me .. Felt really alive

Came from work to the house which is 7 miles in around 18 mins. Past Dunnes in Terryland and swore blind that I could hear the roar of the crowd.. On to the Quninny Bridge and really opened the jets .. 52/16 and spinning it.. Seamus Quirke road lights for me all the way. The hill at the Glenoaks and I just bit the handle bars and forgot the pain - Just kept the rate up.. heart was in my throat

Down through Knocknacarra going faster than I have ever pushed before - All roundabouts were racing line stuff .. Bike was there all the way.

Back 1 gear and stood on her up past the Clybaun.. I was most of the way to being in a heap but just kept focussed on the top. One last push down the Western Distributor.

Got to the house in an absolute mess..... I usually wouldnt dream of such a Banzai session but the conditions were perfect and I took full advantage....

I never appreciated just how good the Puggy handles until now.. As I said I really got a buzz out of that - Great feeling to be really pushing it on and me I was on the absolute limit of my fitness and skill....

Roll on tonight....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My puncture woes continue!!.. Two today!.

After seven punctures in just short of three weeks I've no confidence in getting in to work or home now,...
    Ryder Hallowed Cheddar - are you sure it's your tyres that are at fault - particularly considering you are using tyres which would be considered puncture resistant.

Are the punctures on one wheel only?
    Have you swapped the tyres from front to rear and vice versa?
    Have you thoroughly checked the rim tape?
    Are the punctures on the outside (tyre side) of the tube or on the inside (wheel side)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

From my own experience of punctures starting out was poor rim tape placement. Kept slipping and I'd get pinch flats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

A very pleasant and easy 10km in this morning enlivened for a few seconds by a near collison with a garage forecourt departing car and then a brief chat with the perfect ego killer - a woman, dressed in normal clothes, on a slow looking bike - who was happily and easily zipping past many a hapless man.
    Today was also one of those daze where I passed seven gazillion cars all going nowhere. And it was slightly eerie with the mist. All in all, quite the pleasant experience. And much easier on the good bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Traffic incident on Crumlin road this morning meant that a long section of Crumlin Rd was closed off with garda diverting traffic down a side street (hope anyone involved in the crash was ok).
    As a main vein into the city, the result was traffic chaos as cars, buses, lorries all tried their best to push and nudge their noses down tiny Crumlin roads.
    I was so grateful to be able to zip through it all on my bike.

Reached some red lights on the canal, stopped. A guy in clipless pedals pulls up level with me and unclips. He looked the biz, nice road bike, padded lycra tights, cycling jersey, full drinks bottle in his holder, better let him on ahead of me when the lights change, save him the trouble of over taking me.

Lights change, instead of the expected surge from himself which I was ready to follow, there was a pause whilst he took his time and finally set off.
    For what seem the longest time I remained stuck behind my not so fast cyclist friend as he pedalled a few rotations, slowed up to freewheel, pedalled a few rotations, slowed to freewheel, pedalled a few more rotations before slowing to freewheel.
    The cycle lane in front was for once beautifully empty and stretching out in a long straight empty line ahead of us.
    There was no one in front of him.
    He was in front of me :(

'What are you doing? Why do you keep slowing to freewheel? Just keep pedalling, keep a steady pace, I thought you were going to be fast!'
    I was patient and stayed behind until a break in the canal traffic finally allowed a safe overtake which I readily took.

Has anyone ever actually verbalised their internal mental 'advice' for fellow cyclist commuters?
    I haven't and don't think I ever would for fear of a box or sounding patronising.
    Actually that's a lie, I did once cycle alongside a schoolboy who I saw cycling way too close to the kerb every morning and suggested he cycled more in the middle of the cycle lane to avoid hitting the kerb/ drain covers etc.
    But that seemed ok to say.
    Anyway - theme of the post is don't judge a cyclist by its cover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

So i popped my cherrry last weekedn.Did my first 100KM cycle.Only cycling a few weeks and loving it.

Details attached.Not sure why my speed is listed as 4 but must be something to do with the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Lights change, instead of the expected surge from himself which I was ready to follow, there was a pause whilst he took his time and finally set off.
    For what seem the longest time I remained stuck behind my not so fast cyclist friend as he pedalled a few rotations, slowed up to freewheel, pedalled a few rotations, slowed to freewheel, pedalled a few more rotations before slowing to freewheel.

Killer combo! I've encountered the looks-fit-all-the-gear types who are startlingly slow, and the up-out-of-the-saddle-pedalling-then-rest-for-ages, but never yet combined in one neat package. The pedal / freewheel thing bugs me where someone's speed is erratic. Makes them unpredictably awkward to overtake.

I only verbalise advice if someone's directly endangering themselves or me. I've been known to verbalise loudly :o.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Traffic incident on Crumlin road this morning meant that a long section of Crumlin Rd was closed off with garda diverting traffic down a side street (hope anyone involved in the crash was ok).
    As a main vein into the city, the result was traffic chaos as cars, buses, lorries all tried their best to push and nudge their noses down tiny Crumlin roads.
    I was so grateful to be able to zip through it all on my bike.

I was wondering what was going on this morning. Clogher Rd was at a standstill, I thought it was just the fog. I bailed out and wend down the Harolds Cross Rd instead which wasn't much better but I always feels there's less chance of a car swerving in front on me on that road because there's no speed ramps to avoid.

Quite a nice ride into work all the same but it's hella foggy out there now. Might take the cycle lane up the canal on the way home, I'd normally stick to the road.

Makikomi - are you sure it's your tyres that are at fault - particularly considering you are using tyres which would be considered puncture resistant.

Are the punctures on one wheel only?
    Have you swapped the tyres from front to rear and vice versa?
    Have you thoroughly checked the rim tape?
    Are the punctures on the outside (tyre side) of the tube or on the inside (wheel side)?

Checked it all.. What I did was I took account of my route, until recently I traveled up Parnell St (from the Summerhill direction) and used to go to the lights at Bolton St DIT before taking a left towards Stoneybatter.. Well about two weeks ago I changed route and cut out the DIT lights to go through the Fruit Markets off Caple St.. I'm wondering now if I was picking up staples from packaging there (although I never found anything embedded in the tyre).

My next course of action was to change the tyres front to back.

My cycle today was, thankfully uneventful ~ I didn't go near the fruit markets area :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Has anyone ever actually verbalised their internal mental 'advice' for fellow cyclist commuters?
    I've had 'chats' with other cyclists about shoaling, breaking red lights, RLJ-ing, undertaking. Responses vary from laughs, jokes, sensible replies to death threats.

A very slow 50km this morning. It's very windy and it just saps the legs.

No bother though. Eating my coco pops so happy out

godtabh wrote: »
    A very slow 50km this morning. It's very windy and it just saps the legs.

No bother though. Eating my coco pops so happy out

Ha just realised my wife has he bags packed for the hospital. She's 9 months pregnant!

That's scare may put an end to cycling for a while

Ha just realised my wife has he bags packed for the hospital. She's 9 months pregnant!

That's scare may put an end to cycling for a while

Congrats. Is it your first?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

BenEadir wrote: »

prefect amount of kid is n=>0

RainyDay wrote: »
    I've had 'chats' with other cyclists about shoaling, breaking red lights, RLJ-ing, undertaking. Responses vary from laughs, jokes, sensible replies to death threats.

You must be a politician :p

BenEadir wrote: »

It was a false alarm. This will be no.2

• Advertisement

It was a false alarm. This will be no.2

Ah sure you're an old hand so. If you can get out for spins with one baba in the house two won't make any difference ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement