Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The fog yesterday morning was quite scary. :o

I had a bit of a debate with myself during the journey whether to cycle the walkinstown roundie or get off and walk around it. I was kind of terrified tbh. Very poor visibility, even though I was so well lit up that I was expecting a call from the DAA about planes wanting to land on me.

My sensible self lost the debate (as usual) but luckily there were no nutters driving on it at the time so I made it around alive.

I, like many others here was shocked by the lack of lights/visibility of fellow "cycling commuters". The weirdest being the ones with really good front light and no rear ones, while wearing dark clothing.

I don't get that.

I also passed the 7000 km mark this week, which I am chuffed with considering its my first full year of cycling.

Ridewithgps reckon about 13 days and 5 hours in the saddle with 250,000 calories burned off. That's a lot of beer and pie tbh.

I love useless stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My puncture woes continue!!.. Two today!.

After seven punctures in just short of three weeks I've no confidence in getting in to work or home now, but I'm stuck for money atm so no new tyres yet :(

Oh, headphone cable broke (after two punctures) so no music ~ and I hate cycling without music.

Got home, showered, lay down and licked my wounds.. I'm fighting in three more weeks so trying to concentrate on training for that and forgetting about my cycling woes ~ but its hard :mad:

We need a volunteer to change his/her next puncture and fund the root cause of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Ok, first spin on my brand new giant defy 1 after 5 weeks off because my previous bike was robbed! 30km around Greystones and Bray. Love the bike! Was only 5 weeks but jesus it felt like 5 months, good to be back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Ok, first spin on my brand new giant defy 1 after 5 weeks off because my previous bike was robbed! 30km around Greystones and Bray. Love the bike! Was only 5 weeks but jesus it felt like 5 months, good to be back!

Great bike enjoy..

What did you have before.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

52km spin around the slightly flooded roads of NCD this morning. Lovely morning too. Should be quite a few contributions to this forum given the decent weather today.

• Advertisement

40k Dunboyne, strawberry beds, around the Park and home. Started out well wrapped up, most of it was off by the time I got home.

Steaming bowl of coddle, the rugby on the box and feet up, gotta love weekends...

not yet wrote: »
    Great bike enjoy..

What did you have before.

Giant ocr was about 12/13 years old.

Giant ocr was about 12/13 years old.

Horrible having a bike stolen, I'd say you'll not let the defy out of your sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Went out on the CX bike around Bull Island, looking for a sandy spin, and found it! :D
    wk1rhi.jpg

not yet wrote: »
    Horrible having a bike stolen, I'd say you'll not let the defy out of your sight.

Haha! Absolutely, actually had 3 taken, road fixie and mtb. Had them stored in bin shed for the apartment block and bolted to the wall. They got 11 bikes in all. This one is in bed beside me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd a grand spin today out the N81 to Brittas and then I went via Ballysmuttan for the first time. It's a short nasty 100m climb at about 7%. I went from there over Blackrock Hill and then back into Blessington, Manor Kilbride and home.

A nice day for a spin despite the fact that my feet were frozen. Plenty of water on the roads which didn't help.

No records set today but I'm happy with 65km and 500m @ 25km/h.

I might get a quick spin in tomorrow before family takes first place.

Haha! Absolutely, actually had 3 taken, road fixie and mtb. Had them stored in bin shed for the apartment block and bolted to the wall. They got 11 bikes in all. This one is in bed beside me!

Don't blame ya, I put my bike in the attic this year going on holidays..

The amount of bikes stolen in Dublin is incredible, I don't think there is a lock out there that cannot be broken..

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Continuing my return from a cold, I rode around Howth head twice today.

http://www.strava.com/activities/221934213

Summary: 66.7km - 2:50:06 - 23.5km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Continuing my return from a cold, I rode around Howth head twice today.

http://www.strava.com/activities/221934213

Summary: 66.7km - 2:50:06 - 23.5km/h

Was up howth head myself today. First long spin in nearly a year and probably hardest hill I've ever done. You probably past me on it if it was around 2 or 3

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

First Century ride completed at the weekend. There were two options; 100km or 100 miles... I thought it was time to do the 100 miles, having completed 2 Gran Fondos in recent months.

http://www.strava.com/activities/221536829

I was hoping to average 30kph for the distance, but just fell shy of it. Lovely day out on the bike with some great people. Happy days.

Summary: 161.8km - 5:27:47 - 29.6kph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Finally managed to find some find a somewhat flat route over here. Surface is rubbish but it's as good as I've found since moving here. There is fairly tough climb before reaching reaching the flat section unfortunately. 1.1km long with an average gradient of 11% and max's out at about 25%. Not terrible but still tough all the same. Managed 58km to bring the weekly total to 225km. Happy enough. Just need to keep it up through the winter. Easier said than done.

Link to the ride

Link to the climb on Strava

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Just back in from about 12k on MTB around the back roads of donabate/portrane. Frost is starting to set in, icy patches are in the post before morning I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Fairly cold this morning but got out to do 43km. Bit boring as I was just repeating a 2.5km long stretch which was 5k up and Down.basically the stretch is a long drag one side and a slight downhill the other.
    Had some fun running over a small dog that always chases me.:-), he was fine tho and continued chasing me. Im really getting annoyed with me strava, last week it didn't record my ride at all and today it only recorded the last 16k. All in alll it was a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Glorious sunshine this morning but the frosty air made my asthma play up and I'm still trying to shake the tail end of a dirty cough so I found it hard to catch my breath properly for the first hour of the cycle. I suppose that combined with a slight headwind for the will stand to me, it felt like I was climbing for about 20 k. I wore a light pair of gloves this morning, first time in ages. They did the trick, fingers never got cold at all. Ears on the otherhand were perished. I remember watching a documentary that showed how the Arctic fox had small ears to help it maintain heat. I would be more like the Desert fox.
    Anyway, it was great to get out and I'd rather be cycling in the cold than the rain.
    Longwood- Kinnegad- Milltownpass- Rochfortbridge and back.
    60.4k in 2;04;58 @28.3 kmh
    http://www.strava.com/activities/222318976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Didn't realise it would be soo cold. Bit of ice about and the Garmin gives an average temp of 1C in NCD from 8am to midday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

133k from Wexford up to the mast on Mt Leinster and back. Should have been 120k but decided to tack on a few extra k to complete the Nov Gran Fondo challenge. Had to stop and let my heart rate recover 3 times on the climb to the mast and on the 3rd occasion where I stopped was a little too steep to get going again, which I discovered when I tried to get going again and ended up falling to the clipped in side! No harm done to me or the bike, except I landed on that little plastic logo Assos put in the arse of their bibs and I feel like I've had 20 injections in me butt cheek!:eek:

All in all a brilliant day for it. Still managing with just two layers (nike base layer and a gabba shortsleeve with lidl arm and leg warmers and the aforementioned bibs). I've committed to the Marmotte next July and my goal for today was to climb Mt. Leinster without letting my heart rate out of zone 3 to practice pacing. The decision to head up to the mast was a spur of the moment one but what the heck, don't think there'll be too many more opportunities before Spring. The descent still scares the bejesus out of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

a very very cold 70km this morning. left home at 8.30 for a flatish route. took a coffee stop after 30km but it was so cold I didn't stop for long. First time in full winter gear this year and unfortunately had a seam in the wrong place - ouch:(

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

My Sunday ride: Dundrum, Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride, Tallaght, laps in Corkagh Park & back to Dundrum.
    Summary: 84.6km - 3:38:41 - 995m

My rear wheel was skidding, when I was out of the saddle going up to the Stocking Lane Viewing Point.
    There was Freezing Fog at the Sally Gap crossroads.
    Seemed like everyone was in Manor Kilbride yesterday.
    I got engulfed in Clontarf CC's group on the way into Tallaght, which also included two Orwell lads. Nice group.

http://www.strava.com/activities/222333504

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

My Sunday ride: Dundrum, Sally Gap, Manor Kilbride, Tallaght, laps in Corkagh Park & back to Dundrum.
    Summary: 84.6km - 3:38:41 - 995m

My rear wheel was skidding, when I was out of the saddle going up to the Stocking Lane Viewing Point.
    There was Freezing Fog at the Sally Gap crossroads.
    Seemed like everyone was in Manor Kilbride yesterday.
    I got engulfed in Clontarf CC's group on the way into Tallaght, which also included two Orwell lads. Nice group.

http://www.strava.com/activities/222333504

Think I get caught up in that Clontarf CCgroup too- would have been around 12:30? I was on a green genesis, red jersey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Red Belly wrote: »
    133k from Wexford up to the mast on Mt Leinster and back. Should have been 120k but decided to tack on a few extra k to complete the Nov Gran Fondo challenge. Had to stop and let my heart rate recover 3 times on the climb to the mast and on the 3rd occasion where I stopped was a little too steep to get going again, which I discovered when I tried to get going again and ended up falling to the clipped in side! No harm done to me or the bike, except I landed on that little plastic logo Assos put in the arse of their bibs and I feel like I've had 20 injections in me butt cheek!:eek:

All in all a brilliant day for it. Still managing with just two layers (nike base layer and a gabba shortsleeve with lidl arm and leg warmers and the aforementioned bibs). I've committed to the Marmotte next July and my goal for today was to climb Mt. Leinster without letting my heart rate out of zone 3 to practice pacing. The decision to head up to the mast was a spur of the moment one but what the heck, don't think there'll be too many more opportunities before Spring. The descent still scares the bejesus out of me!

Welcome to the club everyone should try that climb its pure pain :D
    In fact i am making it law from now on :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Strange, no ice at all at 7am, coming to Military Road from Glassamucky. We were expecting some as temperature was around 0C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    Strange...
    It can happen when one gets out of the saddle when the surface is wet/greasy and it's very steep (although I wouldn't have though Stocking Lane was steep enough for that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Alek wrote: »
    Strange, no ice at all at 7am, coming to Military Road from Glassamucky. We were expecting some as temperature was around 0C.

Obviously he was laying out too many watts when out of the saddle :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It can happen when one gets out of the saddle when the surface is wet/greasy

True. Or leafy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was trying to tackle the top of Horan's Lane in Tallaght a few years ago (20%+) on a wet morning and the rear wheel kept slipping from under me forcing me to remain seated. (Ended up doing the walk of shame after falling over because I couldn't get unclipped in time).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement