Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Ride with few boards members run by bikerbhoy this weekend out past Greystones, I have only being that way once on bike pre garmin so will have to head back and go strava mad

http://www.strava.com/activities/222393984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Turbo last night as I didn't fancy the dark and the fog combo. Still was nice. Did a quick 40 km while watching tv.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Great plast around the usual route this morning. The majority of the ride was dead calm.

Putting some time on a few segements and getting closer to KOM on 2. In 2nd and 3rd spot on two. Keep plugging away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Dunboyne to Ballyfermot this morning, damp and slow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Headed out at 8.30 last night. Pretty damp and a little foggy but calm and not too cold. 55km @ 25kph out from Ennis to Shannon/Bunratty and back. Quiet out on the roads. Lovely evening overall. Slower than I thought. Tired when I got in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

colm18 wrote: »
    Think I get caught up in that Clontarf CCgroup too- would have been around 12:30? I was on a green genesis, red jersey?

Everyone, except the two Orwell guys was wearing a red jersey of sorts, including me. I just presumed that everyone was in the same group, didn't really look at the bikes.

I was on the path when I was passed, to stop cars running me over while there was no witnesses around, so I jumped onto the train. Then I took off at the road work lights, only to be consumed again at the next lights, and turned off at Cheeverstown road.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Alek wrote: »
    Strange, no ice at all at 7am, coming to Military Road from Glassamucky. We were expecting some as temperature was around 0C.

I was the wetness, I discovered that it was dry a few centimeters out from the road's edge.
    It can happen when one gets out of the saddle when the surface is wet/greasy and it's very steep (although I wouldn't have though Stocking Lane was steep enough for that).

Just at that corner up to the mini carpark, when you go past the wind turbine in the field with the horses.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    Obviously he was laying out too many watts when out of the saddle :P

212 Watts to be precise, my FTP. So it was just too much PSI/BAR in the wheel, plus some wetness. Plus I'm not very smooth, pedal stroke-wise when out of the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Put in 51km this morning @27.5 kmph from Dunshaughlin to Dunboyne to Maynooth to Kilcock and onto home. Weather was great, got a castelli feroce ls base layer and it worked great with the gabba over it. Sunshine by the end of the spin. Working 3 to 11 now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

1st 100k
    I've done my 100k today! It wasn't a good experience: sunny and cold with plenty wet surface. I was sweating like a pregnant nun (have a Lidl bike jacket, long sleeve t-shirt, compression t-shirt, bib, compression tights plus shorts). It had been all well until hit 50k. Then the real struggle started around 80k. Ended up in state of being drunk, felt like that, no power in my legs, cold sweat everywhere, head spinning. Tried to walk wasn't able for it. I had to get off the bike few times and when I was on the roll again prayed for not knocked down by a car. I think I've have to plan the next 100k more wisely next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ended up in state of being drunk, felt like that, no power in my legs, cold sweat everywhere, head spinning.

Have you eaten anything during the ride? Looks like a bonk case to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

padyjoe wrote: »
    1st 100k
    I've done my 100k today! It wasn't a good experience: sunny and cold with plenty wet surface. I was sweating like a pregnant nun (have a Lidl bike jacket, long sleeve t-shirt, compression t-shirt, bib, compression tights plus shorts). It had been all well until hit 50k. Then the real struggle started around 80k. Ended up in state of being drunk, felt like that, no power in my legs, cold sweat everywhere, head spinning. Tried to walk wasn't able for it. I had to get off the bike few times and when I was on the roll again prayed for not knocked down by a car. I think I've have to plan the next 100k more wisely next time!

Congrats on your first solo 100km.
    Sounds like you didn't eat/ drink properly though beforehand?
    Also were you ready for a 100k? Does sound like you struggled. Was your long sleeved tshirt cotton? That would give you cold, uncomfortable sweat to deal with next to your skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I struggled after 85 km on my first 100 km cycle. Lack of food with me. Next time I do it I'll plan in a proper stop somewhere for a cup of coffee and a sambo or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I had 3 muesli bars and 750 ml water with me. Bowl of porridge in the morning. I did 90something kms 2-3 times before. I had not eaten much a night before either. I did my maths only around 800 calories went in before and during and the total burnt one gone up to 2200. That's 1400 deficit. Even when on a diet shouldn't lower your intake more than 1000 calories and that doesn't involve serious exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

Made record time on the morning commute, got the green wave from every light on the way, 8 km @ 27.2 kph. Then realized I forgot my keys for the bike lock.

Down to City Cycles in Blackhall place, new lock + nice chat about restoring vintage bikes with owner. Wouldn't get that online :-)

3 muesli bars are in my opinion not enough for 100k spin if you are not used to cycling for that long/far. You can train your body to run on internal storage in time, but until then take a bit more food with you that you are planning to eat, just in case. Also, an emergency simple sugar source (i.e. jelly beans, barley drops) might be handy should you experience the bonk again.

Also, 1 bottle of water might be fine in this weather, but if you go hard and its sunnier/warmer, take at least 2 and / or refill them on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

padyjoe wrote: »
    I had 3 muesli bars and 750 ml water with me. Bowl of porridge in the morning. I did 90something kms 2-3 times before. I had not eaten much a night before either. I did my maths only around 800 calories went in before and during and the total burnt one gone up to 2200. That's 1400 deficit. Even when on a diet shouldn't lower your intake more than 1000 calories and that doesn't involve serious exercise.

Don't worry about eating too much when trying to cycle your longest cycle.

When 100km is not a very long cycle for you, start experimenting with food/drink if you like. until then eat and drink enough to make sure you feel strong on bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Community policing at it's best this morning as I had a brief chat with a Gardá on his GardáBike. Man they are slow and heavy (The bikes!) but as he said even a heavy ould bike is quicker than most miscreants on foot.
    He had done most of a beat and was coming back in from UCD area for a well deserved cuppa. Seemed a happy chap, great to see someone happy in their work.
    Last night had my first night off classes in about 10 weeks and tagged on to the CX training group. Thanks to Evan for a very informative session and some good training drills. Self selecting into the "not the best group" was good for the ego too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

Day off work yesterday so took the opportunity to get out for a spin . Headed out to the Naul, through Ballyboughal to Swords , Rush , Skerries and back to Balbriggan . 52.5km in total .Bit chilly but only really my feet that were cold. Anybody recommend a good pair of socks? I can't seem to keep the heat in , even with two pairs and overshoes .

maybe you need less socks and more air in your feet area?

If I compress my feet too much, like with extra socks or tight lacing, they get cold... Try one pair of socks + overshoes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

I'll give that a go ,cheers, the socks were fairly light so I thought I would be ok .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It might be enough to not tie your laces/ratchets as tight.

On nighttime audax rides I use mycoal foot warmers. Just pop one on top of the socks above the toes and they feed just enough warmth to stay comfy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Peterx wrote: »
    but as he said even a heavy ould bike is quicker than most miscreants on foot.

Something strangely authentic about a Garda saying "ould bike" and "miscreants" in the one sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

It was cold. That is all.

Something strangely authentic about a Garda saying "ould bike" and "miscreants" in the one sentence.

Ahh yes...........artistic licence there......his actual words may have been more along the lines of "it's great for catching up with junkies"..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed 500 for the month today. First frost this month and serious fog around walkinstown/parkwest :/

Had my first full on race while commuting yesterday.

Was going past corkagh park yesterday evening (on my left) and could here some bloke shouting.

I look over the wall/fence into the park and I see a little dog running along the fence and glancing over at me every now and then. (I was sure it was "looking" at me.

I ponder and think, are you chasing/racing me? (I may have actually spoke to the doggie) So I slow down and the ickle dog does too.

I had no other choice but to smile and put the hammer down, as much as I could on my hybrid, which isn't a lot tbh.

You'd want to have seen the little dog go. He/she gave it socks! The little size of it and it's legs going like bejaysus!

I won though.

The end of the park impeded said dog and my birthday was made by one of those "little" things in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

4 days since I last cycled - did a beautiful 135km on Saturday out to west Connemara, out of an intended 180km. I was on track for 2000km for the month but have been housebound since that cycle trying to recover from a bug. The 2,000km will have to wait :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

4 days since I last cycled - did a beautiful 135km on Saturday out to west Connemara, out of an intended 180km. I was on track for 2000km for the month but have been housebound since that cycle trying to recover from a bug. The 2,000km will have to wait :-(

Did I meet you between Roundstone and Ballyconneely on Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Maidhci wrote: »
    Did I meet you between Roundstone and Ballyconneely on Saturday?

That was probably me, around 2-3pm?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

my god its cold. Should get the feeling back in my toes next summer. -2 degrees for most of the 53km this morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement