Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I have rested my inner thigh on the top tube today (like I always do standing at lights) and immediately got a massive cramp - feck that hurts! Watch out for this in low temperatures.

Carbon bike owners may ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Freezing in Portmarnock this morning - the marshy area near the turn to Baldoyle looked amazing int the frost /mist. A bit of frost on the road and Clontarf cycle track but I found it ok. Very glad of a hot shower when I got to work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Forgot my pump this morning and had to nurse a slow flat home for about 5km. Still got what I needed done to get over the 10,000km mark for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

First full club run today since I broke my collarbone in early August. Felt good all the way. 90km around NCD. Great to be back.Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

90k this morning from Swords over to Firhouse and up Bohernabreena to Kippure. Beautiful as far as the gates at Kippure and then the fog came down. Got to the top and couldn't see the mast from the fence.
    Took it handy on the way down and stopped for a coffee in the Armoury.
    Across the Featherbeds and down to city centre came home via Malahide to make sure I made up the 90k.

Great morning for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did a repeat of a spin I did last weekend that I wasn't happy with. I went out the N81 and then the R759 to Ballysmuttan and then on up Blackrock Hill. They are short enough climbs but I PB'd them all today so I'm happy out.

My rear wheel is still giving me hassle - some sort of tick-tick noise as I applied the brakes on the downhills. I couldn't see anything obvious and, typically, the noise disappeared before I got home. But I don't care because I ordered a pair of Zondas on Thursday :D

60km & 500m @ 25.4km/h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Rough spin today. I don't think people in Lancaster like cyclists at all. Got a mcdonalds coke thrown at me while waiting at a set of lights. Then on multiple occasions cars just pulled out right in front of me or into the side of me. Got just over 100km done. Wanted to do more but didn't think it wise to continue on through Lancaster and have to deal with more motorists.

http://www.strava.com/activities/224412499

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did 135km today at 27.0km/h avg. speed. Too fast for winter training but fcek it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Peterx wrote: »
    Community policing at it's best this morning as I had a brief chat with a Gardá on his GardáBike. Man they are slow and heavy (The bikes!) but as he said even a heavy ould bike is quicker than most miscreants on foot.
    He had done most of a beat and was coming back in from UCD area for a well deserved cuppa. Seemed a happy chap, great to see someone happy in their work.
    Last night had my first night off classes in about 10 weeks and tagged on to the CX training group. Thanks to Evan for a very informative session and some good training drills. Self selecting into the "not the best group" was good for the ego too :)

for all the allowances guards get for different things I don't think they get one for cycling there bike, I find most of the bike guards great , bike riding is as they say is good for the mind

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

tallaght , Newcastle , athgoe , punchestown , kilteel , balnascorney and home

roads were a lot damper than I was expecting
    first proper spin in a couple of weeks ,huffed and puffed up some of the bumps along the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Was in work this morning in Skerries so went for a spin after over to Portrane and back via Rush then up around Ardgillen. First time cycling around that area, really enjoyed it. Beautiful day for it, so mild! 56kms altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Out by Oldtown and Stamullin to Bettystown and back by Bellewstown and Garristown. Had hoped the detour on the way home would have pushed the distance up to the 100k but it ended up being 94. Averaged 27.5 on the way there but coming back was a bit slower - don't think I can blame the wind as there really wasn't any.
    One of those day where you think we should have more words for the weather (like the Inuit and snow). It was too dry for mist, to bright for overcast, too clear for foggy and not sunny enough for haze. Maybe grey sums it up? Still, it was good to get back out NCD again and to keep clear of the horrible R132.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Managed to get out at 4pm for a quick spin. Hoped to do 10km but ended up doing 20km. Spent most of my time "concentrating" as I was on cycle paths and lanes, just to be safe as it was getting dark, foggy and starting to rain.

A lot of bleedin' obstacles on said cycling paths/lanes!

Only 16 km off 600 for November.

Cue possible spin tomorrow morning to peoples park, dun laoghaire for one of Dave's wood fired Pizzas for breakfast.

You just have to love cycling. ;)

I do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

1st time back on road bike in two months, I usually just potter about on MTB but went for the more cruising option today. The one thing you notice on a road bike is how ****e the road surfaces are or maybe that's just my ol' bones feeling every bump.
    Anyway a casual 25km towards balbriggan and back to donabate.
    Should really do this more often!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Got swallowed up this morning by a big friendly group of Dublin Wheeler's out around Rathfeigh this morning, tucked in at the back to Duleek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Just out for an hour today will go out at 9am tomorrow for three hours. Quick spin out with a mate today that has some stitches in his foot so took it handy on him :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

urgh. first time out in a month, and i was home in half an hour. already had blocked sinuses before leaving this morning, and now i'm a phlegm factory. 13km done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

Just out at the minute, prrsently stopped , trying to decide a route ! Only 18 km up so far......
    Arklow or back the coast through courtown, kilmuckridge and home ?

Just out at the minute, prrsently stopped , trying to decide a route ! Only 18 km up so far......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Yesterday did 30k while the sun was setting and into the night, stopping for DVD's ans B&J ice cream. It was all dandy until I got home and realised I'd left my key in the bike lock and it had fallen out while cycling. Now what to do with a 70 euro kryptonite u-lock with no key... Any suggestions?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

urgh. first time out in a month, and i was home in half an hour. already had blocked sinuses before leaving this morning, and now i'm a phlegm factory. 13km done.

I got Dymista from my doc and it worked wonders for me

Out with Ratoath today and felt great, nearly back up to previous strength before back injury

http://www.strava.com/activities/224746046

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was out this morning giving a dig out with the Club's intermediate group. There were approx 15 of us. I dropped back to support a chap who was struggling and had dropped way off the bunch. I stayed with him for a couple of km's giving encouragement. After a while it dawned on me that he wasn't part of our group at all. Had to pace myself back to the main bunch. :D

So there's someone out there who was enjoying their normal solo spin on the back roads of Co Meath wondering who the oddball was in the McNally Swords CC kit. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I was out this morning giving a dig out with the Club's intermediate group. There were approx 15 of us. I dropped back to support a chap who was struggling and had dropped way off the bunch. I stayed with him for a couple of km's giving encouragement. After a while it dawned on me that he wasn't part of our group at all. Had to pace myself back to the main bunch. :D

So there's someone out there who was enjoying their normal solo spin on the back roads of Co Meath wondering who the oddball was in the McNally Swords CC kit. :o

Thats a Classic, have you the hair dyed blonde?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

@Border fox- I think I met you up on Tara. I'd just come up from the easy side.

Had a nice spin today. Didn't break my balls, just trundling along enjoying the spin apart from one lung burster on a short but very sharp hill near Moynalvey. Pushed hard on the big ring all the way to the top and then spent the next few minutes trying not to puke:rolleyes:
    Halfway down the Tara descent I heard something hit the road. Got to the bottom and saw my back light had fallen off so I went back up to see if it was worth saving. Found it in 2 halves and the batteries about 30 yards away from the body of it. Popped the batteries back in and it started flashing straight away. Kudos to Cateye- ye make hardy wee lights!!

Longwood-Rathmolyon-Summerhill-Dunsany-Tara-Kilmessan-Bective-Trim-Longwood.
    68.8km in 2;36;44 @26.3 kmh
    http://www.strava.com/activities/224740365

secman wrote: »

Ended up doing coast road .almost 50 km, same as yesterday but different route .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

My first 100K today. Bloody GPS packed up so 3/4 of the way through. Grrrr. Must right a letter to Mr Claus for a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Are you me? Between blocked sinuses and now a heavy cold the bike has seen very little use.I actually felt guilty driving to Wexford yesterday and passing loads of cyclists who were making the most of the decent weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did an easy enough spin today through the city and out by Dublin Airport.

I was stopped at lights heading into town at New St and heard the ring-ding-ding of a two stroke engine. I looked around for a moped but it turns out it was a bike (maybe a MTB or hybrid) in front of me with a 2 stroke engine attached. He headed off up Patrick's Street ahead of me but wasn't gaining any ground. I ploughed on behind and got a PB up the hill trying to reel him in. I turned right at Christchurch Place and he went down St. Michael's Hill which ended that commuter race.

I've seen plenty of hybrids with electric motors but today was the first time I encountered a 2 stroke petrol engine on a bike. Have I been living under a toadstool for too long?

50km & 160m @ 24.4km/h. The average was actually better but I called in to my sister in law's shop on South Richmond Street on the way home and the autopause wasn't recognised. This is becoming more regular. The Garimin is probably hinting at Rule 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭alentejo

Shame on me! Too hungover to go out today:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Today I went on a very rare club spin. Stopped in the Pigeon House Delgany for coffee.
    Salt caramel doughnut.

The place is fuppin amazing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement