Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Cue possible spin tomorrow morning to peoples park, dun laoghaire for one of Dave's wood fired Pizzas for breakfast.

Job done. 46km today means 630 Km for November.

Kind of knackered though :/

Very close to clocking up 3,500 on lpb's boardman bike too, which is kind of cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Job done. 46km today means 630 Km for November...
    Well done.

I was just looking back over my year to date. I covered the same distance in November as in July which seems weird given the shorter days, worse weather etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Planned a nice ride out via Enniskerry, Roundwood, Laragh, Sally Gap and home today. My first puncture in roughly 4000km at Dundrum did little to dissuade the positive mood on a beautiful day. The blown out tyre going up the wall in Enniskerry did! Broom wagon required for the first time. Pops kept going and got the km in. By all accounts it was a lovely spin :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

69,6km before work :) Started at 5:20, went Rathfarnham > around Bohernabreena reservoirs > Military Road > Glencree > Devils Elbow > Stepaside > Harold's Cross > Santry.

Two hours in solid darkness was great, only faint silhouette of hills, stars and my breath appearing in the front light beam... I could swear I am cycling Featherbeds for the first time ;)

Descending in Glencree was hairy enough, too many blind corners I had to almost stop at.... Helmet light would help I assume. Devils Elbow took me by surprise, I've completely forgotten it is there ;)

24,2kmh, not too bad for the conditions.

http://app.strava.com/activities/225430006

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Been off the bike for awhile so took a short spin over lunch, Rathfarnham, Burrow road, Johnnie Foxes, Cruagh road and back. New prescription sun glasses totally fogged up while climbing, and chain seemed to skip and grind under any pressure in certain gears so not a great spin. Fantastic weather though, and the new glasses make descended at speed way more fun, so still enjoyable enough. 23k @ 20kph, slowest I've been all year, will try to get out again tomorrow to rectify.

• Advertisement

New prescription sun glasses totally fogged up while climbing

Same with mine, I hate this. Had to climb with my (normal) glasses half way down.

Contact lenses arrived today, managed to put them on after half an hour of wrestling with my eyelids, lets see how they work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

30k back roads of Dunboyne, just in the door not to comfortable cycling in the dark..

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I completed the December Gran Fondo on Strava around Galway today.

131km @ 25.5km/h, more than 5 hours pedaling.

Had a crash at 62km, tried to mount a kerb to get out of the way of traffic and hit the deck, hip has a decent bit of road rash.
    But I "Proved it" by deciding to be a tank, and tanks keep rolling (when they have antifreeze).

http://app.strava.com/activities/225524416

131km @ 25.5km/h, more than 5 hours pedaling.

Had a crash at 62km, tried to mount a kerb to get out of the way of traffic and hit the deck, hip has a decent bit of road rash.
    But I "Proved it" by deciding to be a tank, and tanks keep rolling (when they have antifreeze).

http://app.strava.com/activities/225524416

Saw that on Strava earlier and was wondering what the "crash" bit was about.

Well done. Hard enough to do a GF nevermind the current weather!

You're bit in hurry, aren't you? ;-) Well done, crashes only build your character :D

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    .....crashes only build your character :D
    You must be hoping to build more character yourself Alek what with heading to the mountains at 5am on a frosty morning! :eek: :D

I have crashed maybe twice in my life, got as much character as a boneless chicken. Have to improve somehow! :D

The canal from parkwest to the grange is getting a bit dangerous. Bloody miscreants running amok :/

Was waved down by another cyclist yesterday to tell me there were some sh1t heads further on down the canal who'd just hit another cyclist over the head with a crutch.

Luckily I had already been past the place where the cyclist was assaulted and was only coming back that direction as I was doing a little extra cycling and was taking the next right off the canal.

I came across the guy who was attacked at the grange road exit but he was on the phone to the police, as far as I could tell.

You don't need this kind of crap when commuting or out cycling.

Anyways... managed to kill of the Strava 20 Hours of cycling in 14 days Challenge. Today was rough though as my legs are pretty dead for some reason. I don't think my legs are suited to the hybrid anymore.

I miss using my road bike.

Commuter race for 9km through the city centre, against a young chap on a carbon Lapierre. He was was blatantly jumping reds, so I have won it twice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

nuff said about my commute today - apologies for the profanity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zndlRAYgqPQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

00sully wrote: »

nail on the head though. What a Fupping idiot! Drove over the roundabout too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

00sully wrote: »

Did you chase him? You seemed to be lining yourself up for a chase there at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Did you chase? You seemed to be lining yourself up for a chase there at the end?

The park was pretty empty so no way I could but I tried to just calm down was fairly rattled after it :o If I had of passed I might have said something alright. she looked right at me when she was already past the point of no return smiling obliviously :eek:

idiot.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Did 57k today. The lower back was awfully cold :-( (underwear, compression long yolks, cycling shorts, running shorts). Still cold. Should get a nice warm winter bibs now! I've bought xl cycling trousers in Aldi last winter they're too big now the padding moving around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

padyjoe wrote: »
    Did 57k today. The lower back was awfully cold :-( (underwear, compression long yolks, cycling shorts, running shorts). Still cold. Should get a nice warm winter bibs now! I've bought xl cycling trousers in Aldi last winter they're too big now the padding moving around.

Wiggle dhb or altura on swimcyclerun are decent at an ok price.

Mudguards help the lower back more than any jacket once road is wet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Cheers! I have the mudguards on all the time they were the first to be put on the bike I won't go for a spin without them. My clothing gear needs to be improved.

Bloody cold out there today. Set out to do a 200k but threw in the towel at 172k. I just couldn't really get warm or get the legs going and my toes remained cold for the entire ride. I need to HTFU!

2 punctures didn't help either (one on the front and one on the rear). There's little fun to be had dealing with a rear puncture in the dark and bitter cold.

http://app.strava.com/activities/226484489

There's little fun to be had dealing with a rear puncture in the dark and bitter cold.

I gave up and added some Bontrager TLR sealant to my tubes. Maybe 60g extra, so far so good. Apparently this one is the best for butyl tubes:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html

I have plenty left, if you want I can give you some if you want to give this idea a try.

Alek wrote: »
    I gave up and added some Bontrager TLR sealant to my tubes. Maybe 60g extra, so far so good. Apparently this one is the best for butyl tubes:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-_Part_2_4155.html

I have plenty left, if you want I can give you some if you want to give this idea a try.
    Thanks Alex but in fairness I rarely puncture - usually one per 5,000kms or so. It's a long time since I got 2 on the same ride but there's loads of crap out there particularly on the hard shoulders. I even had puncture resistant tyres - a Gatorskin on the front and a Panaracer Ribmo on the rear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Been sick all week. Reading this thread makes me sicker. I just want to ride my bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

Wanted to finish out the 20hr short days/long nights challenge on Strava and needed a 1hr 45min spin to do that so took off after lunch, it's bloody hard to cycle to a countdown clock......

Finished up doing 55km in 2hrs or so, glorious afternoon for the job, a bit of a chilly breeze out OK but I'm getting the hang of layering up for the conditions again now so was nice and toasty touring around East Offaly/West Kildare.

Some folk would say spins like that are nothing miles, not hard enough to be proper training but not easy enough to be recovery but I always enjoy them, there's time to enjoy the countryside and look over the neighbours hedges....

nilhg wrote: »
    ....Some folk would say spins like that are nothing miles, not hard enough to be proper training but not easy enough to be recovery but I always enjoy them....
    I hear that occasionally - "there're just junk miles" but I have no interest in the more technical aspects of cycling - HR rate, cadence, lactate levels, VO2 max, Zone this, Zone that etc.

I just like to ride my bikes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I hear that occasionally - "there're just junk miles" but I have no interest in the more technical aspects of cycling - HR rate, cadence, lactate levels, VO2 max, Zone this, Zone that etc.

I just like to ride my bikes. :)

..your santa list for a new Garmin 1000 with HR and cadence sensors says otherwise ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Road race, yesterday... http://www.strava.com/activities/226370532

An extremely windy morning gave this large cyclist a lot of hassle (I'm basically a sail unless I'm in a super-aero position), but the tailwinds, when i had them, were fun. The average speed of the winner was 35.1kph, and the podium was basically chaps under 65kg :(

For perspective, the "Elites" race was twice the length and they finished with an average of 40kph...! I've some work to do!

Summary:
    48.4km in 1:37:15 @ 29.9kph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Only had an hour today after work. 27km @ 29.4kmh put in some hard efforts. Wind was westerly 34km gusting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement