Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Bloody cold out there today. Set out to do a 200k but threw in the towel at 172k. I just couldn't really get warm or get the legs going and my toes remained cold for the entire ride. I need to HTFU!

There are few things worse on a bike that not warming up on a long spin. To keep going for 172k despite this is about as H as I can imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It was cold enough to today with a nasty moderate headwind on the way out. My mate punctured 7km into the spin and it transpired that the valve in his spare tube was fooked and wouldn't allow any air in. I gave him my spare and we detoured to the Cycle Superstore on the Greenhills Road for a new tube and the lend of a track pump. Kudos to the staff - sound blokes.

We battled the wind out to Blessington and returned on a slightly different route. The wind was firmly at our backs as we headed for home on the Tallaght Bypass.

It was my first time to use my new BBB HardWear overshoes and they made a real difference. My feet weren't completely warm after 40km but nor were they the blocks of ice they have been of late. I reckon being stopped faffing around while we replaced my mates tube didn't help.

57km, 345m @ 24.1km/h.

In other news, my new Campy Zondas are sitting in An Post's Laois parcel centre since Thursday :mad: My other package which was part of the same order was delivered on Friday. Both packages were scanned into Laois at the same time but only one has made it out..........so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There are few things worse on a bike that not warming up on a long spin. To keep going for 172k despite this is about as H as I can imagine.
    I kept thinking that things would get better! Starting a hour earlier would have helped psychologically also instead of drinking too much the night before and setting out with a hangover. :)

During times like these I think of Hinault in Leige-Baston-Leige in 1980 - a race that even saw the ultimate hard man Sean Kelly abandon 20kms from the finish saying he could not take the suffering any longer.
    174 riders came to Liege on April 20, 1980 for the 66 th edition of La Doyenne . The riders arrived at the start line in a raging snow storm. Many in the media called it the worst Ardennes weather in the history of L-B-L. After one hour of racing more than half of the 174 starters had abandoned the race. It was merely survival for the remaining riders as the race passed through Bastogne and turned back towards Liege .

Two riders, Rudy Pevenage (Ger) and Ludo Peeters (Bel), broke away from the frigid and shattering peloton and gained a 2'15” lead over the famed Stockeu climb. Always a front runner, Bernard Hinault (Fra) began to increase the pace on the Stockeu and broke clear with Silvano Contini (Ita) and Henk Lubberding (Bel). After a 20 km chase the Hinault group caught the leaders on the Haute Levee climb. With 80 snow covered kilometers on the road to Liege , Hinault rode straight through the leaders to plough a lonely path to the finish.

The biting cold and pelting snow increased the pain of the difficult terrain on the roads back to Liege . Hinault's exposed face was stinging from the snow as he steadily increased his advantage on the peloton. The frozen Frenchman dismissed thoughts of abandoning while in the lead. Driven by immense pride and a potentially colossal moment in cycling history, Hinault ignored the pain and flew towards Liege .

His Renault-Gitane teammates, long since abandoned, welcomed a near frostbitten Hinault from the warm confines of a Hotel along the finish straight in Liege . Across the finish line Bernard Hinault claimed his second Liege-Bastogne-Liege victory, a devastating 9'24” ahead of second placed Hennie Kuiper (Hol).

True champions have an innate ability to suffer during a race. On April 20, 1980 Bernard Hinault suffered above and beyond normal limits to claim one of the greatest classics victories of ALL TIMES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Just over 200km today through counties Cavan, Roscommon, Sligo and Leitrim. Cold, wet and windy throughout. I got my first use of a coat bought here from a boardsie about a month ago, Endura Venturi ii. Kept me warm throughout and dry despite 5 hours of rain. Anything not covered by the coat was drenched, but stayed warmish as my centre was warm. Best days cycling in awhile. Knackered now.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/226784270

darkvalley wrote: »
    Just over 200km today through counties Cavan, Roscommon, Sligo and Leitrim. Cold, wet and windy throughout. I got my first use of a coat bought here from a boardsie about a month ago, Endura Venturi ii. Kept me warm throughout and dry despite 5 hours of rain. Anything not covered by the coat was drenched, but stayed warmish as my centre was warm. Best days cycling in awhile. Knackered now.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/226784270

:eek:

Rule 5 applied. Epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Just a quick spin this morning, Longwood - Kinnegad and back. Reclaimed a KOM by one second. Yaaa. http://www.strava.com/activities/227054895

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Enjoyable 50km around NCD this afternoon. I was well wrapped up too. Total of 3428km ytd so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Enjoyable 50km around NCD this afternoon. I was well wrapped up too. Total of 3428km ytd so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First couple of days back on the bike commuting after a 7 week break for a work course. Cold, damp and dark and only 8Km either direction, but glad to be back on the bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Good day for rule 5 applications today.

My normal commute time is about 30-32 mins. Today was 49 minutes and I was in the red all the way :(

PS All those smiling b*****ds that I passed going the other way will get their comeuppance this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Sunday board spin, it was bloody cold abandoned plan to go from kilternan to foxes and onto viewing point due to the strong head wind,

63km in all nearly at 5,000km for the year, should probably nearer as I have forgotten the garmin on a few commutes

http://www.strava.com/activities/227086224

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sat on the turbo for 40 minutes hard riding before breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Three bouts of turbo in the last week. About an hour each. Still not sure on a training plan of any sort. Just getting to the point where I'm starting to struggle and try to maintain that for 10 minute intervals with a 5 minute rest between intervals. Ordered a heart rate monitor today so I can try some heart rate zone training over the Christmas. I love my gadgets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Planned 60k this morning around by Kilcock but punctured about 13k in. Thinking a tyre change might reduce the number of punctures. Might look around for some gators. Turned around as could not risk another puncture as had no air support so all in all a nice easy 30k recovery spin☺️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Got my new bike on Saturday morning, Cube Peleton Race. Went on a 52Km ride from Blackrock to Howth, attacked the summit which wasn't as difficult as I thought. The course was quite flat. I lost a light (which I bought about an hour previously) so on the way back I took it really slow, put a bit of a downer on my cycle :(

Talked to the lads in Fitzcycles in stillorgan who replaced the light as the clip was faulty. Headed on out to Greystones after that. 56km in under 3 hours, I was happy enough with that :) There was an awful headwind which made some parts really tough. Kiliney hill inbound I found to be quite a challenge.

I am absolutely loving the new bike and the "long" cycles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

If you cycle through Bayside, D13 and lost your Fizik saddlebag this week, then, have a seat, I'm afraid it is no more. It landed in the middle of the road and due to the narrowness there, both directions hammered it into the concrete... and this is what remained in the gutters. Sorry for your loss. :(

KP7lXWwl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

This evening, one word - Nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Got out today for a pre breakfast hour, went grand and got a kom, first one for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You're all making me envious.. I lost my jacket the week before last and haven't had the money to replace it.

Tried going out without, but I was frozen.. Happy cycling people.

Dear Santa.......

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

You're all making me envious.. I lost my jacket the week before last and haven't had the money to replace it.

Dear Santa.......

cyclesuperstore have one on the advent calender tomorrow if you've a spare €65 this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I would have posted this yesterday, but my hands have only just thawed out. I can't think of any spin I've ever done that was quite as miserable as yesterday. Three hours on the mountain bike mostly along the canal & some sh*tty back roads between Newbridge and UCD. No doubt about it, there's nothing quite like cycling for suffering.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Dear Santa.......

If you're around the Ballyboden area, I've a spare Aldi jacket bought on a whim and never really used, size large. Very warm, and grand for colder days, but too warm otherwise. Welcome to borrow it until Santa arrives.

smacl wrote: »
    If you're around the Ballyboden area, I've a spare Aldi jacket bought on a whim and never really used, size large. Very warm, and grand for colder days, but too warm otherwise. Welcome to borrow it until Santa arrives.

Thanks, I do appreciate the offer but I'm XL/XXL.

I wouldn't mind but when I don't need to buy cheap Aldi have cycling gear on the cheap almost every second week lol.

Not to worry, and thanks again it was very kind of you to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

70km Drogheda to Kilmessan and back. Slow and steady both by choice and necessity. Quite a stressful cycle the roads from around Navan around by kilmessan to Dunsany were quite slippy. Even walked up the hill to the entrance to Killsarren as there was no traction at all. Thank God for winter tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Thanks, I do appreciate the offer but I'm XL/XXL.

I wouldn't mind but when I don't need to buy cheap Aldi have cycling gear on the cheap almost every second week lol.

Not to worry, and thanks again it was very kind of you to offer.

Their current non pro winter jacket is lovely. I'm wearing that, a base layer and an Aldi or Lidl waterproof running jacket (non-boil in the bag type) at the mo and I haven't felt the cold/wet so far this December.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/hurry-while-stocks-last/hurry-while-stocks-last/ps/p/winter-cycling-jacket-1/

Think they are about 15e at the mo. Lots in the Aldi on the Belgard road.

The mostly white one screams out "please don't run me over", which is nice.

Their current non pro winter jacket is lovely. I'm wearing that, a base layer and an Aldi or Lidl waterproof running jacket (non-boil in the bag type) at the mo and I haven't felt the cold/wet so far this December.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/hurry-while-stocks-last/hurry-while-stocks-last/ps/p/winter-cycling-jacket-1/

Think they are about 15e at the mo. Lots in the Aldi on the Belgard road.

The mostly white one screams out "please don't run me over", which is nice.

Dammit, I'm living over in Portmarnock and working a shift at the weekend.. But I'll defo look local.. Appreciate that heads up, thanks :D

**Sorry for being off topic**

I'm back on the road in relative comfort, thanks guys!..

A visit to Aldi in Coolock and I walked out with a few sets of base layers, I think the most expensive was €3:99 and a pair of arm warmers for €2:99 ~ happy fecking days!!..

Thanks for the heads up on Aldi's, I'd have never looked had I not see your reply Unknown Soldier :D

Bloody cold today. I left it as late as possible to head out. Base layer, jersey and soft shell jacket. I also employed my trusty wooly Thinsulate gloves and overshoes with two pairs of socks.

I felt the chill at the off but after 5km I was toasty. I headed out through the city with no real plan in mind. The temperature kept me away from Wicklow - I'd be wary of ice in shaded areas. When I found myself in Raheny I decided to go for Howth and tackle the hill from the steep side. Coming down wasn't as I'd expected as the wind was in my face. The wind was strong and cold all the way to Clontarf. I got some respite as I headed through Fairview and returned home via the city.

The Christmas traffic in Dublin City was nuts. Dame St. was especially mental.

I might get out again tomorrow but I need to run it by the Minister for Sport first................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got out today for 46km. Cold. Thought my toes had fallen off half way through so I was glad to see they were still there when I got home and took off my shoes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Accumulated 196km over the past week. My plan on doing another 50k today was cut short by the weather. Would the Kippure / Sally Gap area still be safe to cycle in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement