Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Garzard wrote: »
    Accumulated 196km over the past week. My plan on doing another 50k today was cut short by the weather. Would the Kippure / Sally Gap area still be safe to cycle in?

I was up in Glencree today jasus it was cold but ok

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

58km spin around the highways & byways of NCD this afternoon. Quite wet & windy at times; but was worth it. The R129 road between Ballyboughal & Oldtown has a 300m stretch each side of Keoghs which is frankly a disgrace. Guess the fact that they make amazing crisps is somewhat redeeming. Hopefully will get out on Tues, which will take me over 3500km for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

34km today, got caught in horizontal rain into the face. Not too bad, Gabba worked well

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Got up late, weather wasn't great and I had to be back quick, so got 2.5 hours in on the turbo to a trainer road program. Sweated a river though so big dry mouth still today! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

60k to kilcock. Maynooth. Leixlip and home. Avg 28.1 but legs felt heavy from halfway round to home. Lovely day for a meander though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well, got another puncture, lol.

Cycling merrily along, enjoying the break from the icy weather we've had lately and just going through Ballybough, it happened again!.

So I went from this;

331865.jpg

To this;

331866.jpg

So no more puncture reports for awhile (fingers crossed).

Cautionary word ~ Maxxis Detonator tires are BAD news.. My heart was broke with punctures.. Merry Christmas :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Cycling merrily along, enjoying the break from the icy weather we've had lately and just going through Ballybough, it happened again!.

So I went from this;

331865.jpg

To this;

331866.jpg

Cautionary word ~ Maxxis Detonator tires are BAD news.. My heart was broke with punctures.. Merry Christmas :D
    Lovely area for that to happen!
    P.s my bike has had the maxxis Detonator's on them since I got them on my pre loved bike and I've done about 1400km's on them and no punctures yet thank God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

iamtony wrote: »
    Lovely area for that to happen!
    P.s my bike has had the maxxis Detonator's on them since I got them on my pre loved bike and I've done about 1400km's on them and no punctures yet thank God!

Mine were great until the rear became wore, which was pretty quick at about 2000km then it just broke my heart with puncture after puncture until any pleasure and confidence I had in taking the bike out was gone.

Of course I'll leave the front Maxxis on until it needs replacing, but the worn rear broke my heart ~ so hopefully the Gatorskin tyre will give me many trouble free miles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

So I went from this;

331865.jpg

To this;

331866.jpg

Best of luck, should be good to go with those..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Went out for a spin last night to try to get back into some shape. Got as far as the Kilternan Hotel and then BANG. Instant blow out after clipping a stone, I think.
    20141216_084210.jpg
    It took two temp patches and a boot to plug the hole. Bit of a bottom clenching ride home hoping the tyre didn't totally fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Wow. Is it GP4S? I thought they have this "red net" to prevent blowouts like these...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Alek wrote: »
    Wow. Is it GP4S? I thought they have this "red net" to prevent blowouts like these...

Tis indeed a 4 season. Tyre was only a couple of months old,checked before heading out for any foreign objects.

I'd contact Continental - hitting a stone hard enough to cause something like this would bend the rim as well in my opinion. To me, its a manufacturing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Alek wrote: »
    I'd contact Continental - hitting a stone hard enough to cause something like this would bend the rim as well in my opinion. To me, its a manufacturing issue.

id double this, i had something similar on more worn Tyre so left it but in your case worth getting onto them and they are likely to do something about it.

Tis indeed a 4 season. Tyre was only a couple of months old,checked before heading out for any foreign objects.

Same here, newish gp4000s less then 500km on it and just blew like a burst sausage. Not the first time I've heard issues with these..

I was thinking of upgrading to GP4S in 32mm once my Kojaks are worn, but it seems I'd better stick to the baldies. Just in case. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I upgraded my OmaFiets for a Cortina U4 yesterday. It had It's first proper run out today and It's mighty!! Only thing I have to get used to is the Omafiets had reverse pedal brakes and this one is back to the hand brakes - it made some interesting moments at junctions :)

A quick 25km spin around Swords this morning, bringing me over 3500km ytd, happy with that as my target was 3,000km. Will be aiming for 4000km+ in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Damn you rushfan! You made me check my account and I now have to squeeze in 260km between now and the end of the year to hit the 4000 km mark!

A quick 29 km for me with 330 metres climbed up to Howth twice and back to Portmarnock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I was waiting in traffic for the lights to go green when I felt this sudden forward tug on the bike. I had to put both feet down and pull back on the handlebars to stop the bike moving forward. I looked down and nothing was pushing me from the back or actually dragging me forwards.

'couldn't figure it out.

Then it dawned on me - I was on a Dublin Bike!. Now I know why every other person on one broke the lights ; those things are alive and just want to be with the rest of their kind. That must be why the other muppets on dublin bikes (five in all) blithely ignored the red and sailed on through - they just couldn't control their bikes. Maybe my one was a bit tired and that's how I overcame it.

Gaaargh!

Feel much better now.

• Advertisement

Then it dawned on me - I was on a Dublin Bike!. Now I know why every other person on one broke the lights ; those things are alive and just want to be with the rest of their kind. That must be why the other muppets on dublin bikes (five in all) blithely ignored the red and sailed on through - they just couldn't control their bikes. Maybe my one was a bit tired and that's how I overcame it.

I was waiting in traffic for the lights to go green when I felt this sudden forward tug on the bike. I had to put both feet down and pull back on the handlebars to stop the bike moving forward. I looked down and nothing was pushing me from the back or actually dragging me forwards.

'couldn't figure it out.

Last year, myself and Mrs Rushfan had a night out in Dublin, left the runaround car in a car park overnight. Following morning I headed in on the bike to collect same. Clicked out & stopped at red light at the Gresham as several non helmeted halfwits on DBs sailed by. As I shook my head, all I could do was laugh, not a Garda in sight, for all they would have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Wizardej

rushfan wrote: »
    Last year, myself and Mrs Rushfan had a night out in Dublin, left the runaround car in a car park overnight. Following morning I headed in on the bike to collect same. Clicked out & stopped at red light at the Gresham as several non helmeted halfwits on DBs sailed by. As I shook my head, all I could do was laugh, not a Garda in sight, for all they would have done.

I see the DBs all the time on the canal sailing through red lights -no helmet and headphones on. Looks like they are invincible!!
    Though one of them did a hit and run job on me last year-they were overtaking at the last minute on the wrong end of the cycle lane-they went flying into me and I ended up in hospital. They were fine and just cycled on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

A well timed and placed bird sh*t on the right hand close to nose wiping area on the glove had me being very careful for the remaining 20 k home. 40k mucky and damp over tara. Very mild out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

After much talking, confusion and question asking, I finally got out for my first ride on a road bike, well, ever.

It was the same route I tackled months ago on my Trailstar, albeit in much worse conditions (with regards to both myself and the weather). Without really pushing, I was four minutes quicker and for the first time ever, I managed to climb (what some may consider a flat section) the back section of the route without stopping or bailing out and walking. I never thought I could do that so soon, I'm absolutely beaming.

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    After much talking, confusion and question asking, I finally got out for my first ride on a road bike, well, ever.

It was the same route I tackled months ago on my Trailstar, albeit in much worse conditions (with regards to both myself and the weather). Without really pushing, I was four minutes quicker and for the first time ever, I managed to climb (what some may consider a flat section) the back section of the route without stopping or bailing out and walking. I never thought I could do that so soon, I'm absolutely beaming.

Back of the net......so to speak, wait until the warm balmy evenings you'll think your in heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Quick spin around Howth. Soft day thank God.

Christmas traffic: take Sunday drivers and mix with rush hour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wet and windy out there but unseasonably mild. I came home looking like I'd done a wet Paris - Roubaix!

Did 162k but it was one of those days where I felt I could have cycled all day and long into the night but I had to get home for the school run.

http://app.strava.com/activities/230563043

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Non-eventful ride, tried to choose a similar enough route to yesterday's but in a different direction. Have a severe dose of saddle arse at the minute, even with padded shorts, but I know that will ease over time. Still, that one drain cover I hit almost made me cry in agony. Won't be able to get out again until Tuesday, but happy I got a spin in yesterday and today.

Still very lightheaded and dizzy when I get off the bike at the end, immediately need to sit down or else I feel like I'm going to collapse. Any ideas what's causing this? I had the same yesterday but put it down to not having a breakfast in the morning. Had a decent breakfast this morning (bowl of porridge) about an hour beforehand so don't think it's that. FWIW, I'm fine on the bike, it's just when I get home and dismount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

40km today. I took a half day from work and made the most of it.

Jebus, the wind was strong heading out the Tallaght Bypass. I went up the Embankment and on to Manor Kilbride. I turned back to ensure that I got back before sunset.

I'm glad to have gotten out but I'm over 10 mins down on my time for that route which is expected given the wind/weather/temperature.

4,750km for the year to date.

40km, 275m, 24.6km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

Still very lightheaded and dizzy when I get off the bike at the end, immediately need to sit down or else I feel like I'm going to collapse. Any ideas what's causing this? I had the same yesterday but put it down to not having a breakfast in the morning. Had a decent breakfast this morning (bowl of porridge) about an hour beforehand so don't think it's that. FWIW, I'm fine on the bike, it's just when I get home and dismount.

Take it handy for the last 4 or 5km - warm down. It might help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement