Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

crosstownk wrote: »
    40km today. I took a half day from work and made the most of it.

Jebus, the wind was strong heading out the Tallaght Bypass. I went up the Embankment and on to Manor Kilbride. I turned back to ensure that I got back before sunset.

I'm glad to have gotten out but I'm over 10 mins down on my time for that route which is expected given the wind/weather/temperature.

4,750km for the year to date.

40km, 275m, 24.6km/h

Some traveling for the year. I WAS happy with 1000k m for the year. Even if I only started in June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Still very lightheaded and dizzy when I get off the bike at the end, immediately need to sit down or else I feel like I'm going to collapse. Any ideas what's causing this? I had the same yesterday but put it down to not having a breakfast in the morning. Had a decent breakfast this morning (bowl of porridge) about an hour beforehand so don't think it's that. FWIW, I'm fine on the bike, it's just when I get home and dismount.

I get this sometimes too, but I know it's from pushing way too hard. Even if it doesn't feel like you are working that hard. Cycling is new to you, so it could be just a shock to the system, it should disappear as your fitness increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

The wind this morning is nuts. every which way I went I was heading in to it. The Cortina is lovely when she's fully loaded with about 25Kg of weight in the saddlebags. With no load it's like trying to push a Jaguar uphill. My legs are feeling the difference between the two bikes. Hope that wind clears up before my afternoon outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Had planned on Knocklyon - Glendalough today but my bike's been feeling sluggish especially on downhill turns lately. Coupled with brake issues I just decided for safety reasons to call it quits when I got up to Glencree. Got in 33km overall, but it's going to need another service in the New Year, including a tyre and brake replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I went to get a few chocolate croissants to Lidl and home again for breakfast withthe smallies...
    Nothing better than a bit of fresh air to start the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

clod71 wrote: »
    I went to get a few chocolate croissants to Lidl and home again for breakfast withthe smallies...
    Nothing better than a bit of fresh air to start the day

Their pain au chocolait are also delish :)

10 laps of Howth for December Gran Fondo, with a few slabs of xmas cake at the village market. Cracking day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

First cycle after my first crash two weeks ago. Wrist/hand still sore after a heavy fall on it, waiting for scan results, but wanted to give it a try. Roads in Ireland are pretty bumpy!! I did about an hour and a half on the flat, out by Howth and back. Very windy, average speed 26km. Had to call it a day as was cycling one armed for the last half hour, too much pain. Anxiously awaiting scan results now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

First cycle after my first crash two weeks ago. Wrist/hand still sore after a heavy fall on it, waiting for scan results, but wanted to give it a try. Roads in Ireland are pretty bumpy!! I did about an hour and a half on the flat, out by Howth and back. Very windy, average speed 26km. Had to call it a day as was cycling one armed for the last half hour, too much pain. Anxiously awaiting scan results now...

Hope you recover soon!
    Wind wrecked me today aswell. Blew my bike over and bent the stand:mad: Also done something to the chain cover as there is some creaking noise from it. It was late when I got back, just gave it a quick glance over will have to investigate further tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

bjork wrote: »
    Hope you recover soon!
    Wind wrecked me today aswell. Blew my bike over and bent the stand:mad: Also done something to the chain cover as there is some creaking noise from it. It was late when I got back, just gave it a quick glance over will have to investigate further tomorrow

Hope your bike recovers too! First thing I checked after my crash was the bike, then myself...bike perfect, sorry, not gloating :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Mental winds today. I struggled out the Tallaght Bypass with the wind blowing straight at me. The wind was that strong that I was reduced to a crawl in 34x21. At times I was thinking of turning for home but I plugged on up the Embankment, into Manor Kilbride and then took the Threecastles road to Blessington.

The going was much easier on the way back with the wind behind me but caution was needed in a few blustery crosswinds. At Manor Kilbride on the way back, I snapped yet another spoke. Many thanks to the guy on the blue Trek who stopped to help me remove the spoke from the hub - your help was much appreciated.

51km, 328m @ 23.4km/h. A 7th overall on short stretch on the R137 near the Spawell thanks to the wind - it owed me something after the struggle it posed on the way out!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fist spin in 3 weeks this morning. It showed. The wind didn't help either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

godtabh wrote: »
    Fist spin in 3 weeks this morning. It showed. The wind didn't help either!

Same here.

I wanted to stay away from traffic and busy roads because of any crosswinds, so headed up the Burrow Road...was a bad move given recent inactivity, compounded several times over by the headwind the whole way up.

The descent wasn't much fun either, as an insect (RIP) foolishly made his way the wrong way down my throat, causing me to gag and get sick as I was descending at about 40kph. Decided then that enough was enough so turned for home at Enniskerry, so only about 35km total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Military road was mental today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

Our club spin this morning started with breakfast in the restaurant in Kildare village, it was kind of hard to get going after that but got into the swing of things after an while, 90km today to add to 130 yesterday and 40 Friday, despite writing off my chances of reaching the 10K km mark again this year, a couple of weeks ago I realised there was a chance, nearly there now, if the Porlar vortex doesn't dump a foot of snow I'll be OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

first time out since mid november due to work\family commitments. Glad people are giving out about the wind on the tallaght bypass was putting it down to being well out of practice legs were sore getting in.

Garmin decided to freeze as i was turning it off on return, but 3:30 for about 80k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

1st decent spin in a while.

Headed out along Grand Canal on MTB to Sallins, backroads from Sallins to Kilcock and then back via Maynooth & Leixlip backroads. 79km in just over 4h with speeds varying from 7km to late 30s depending on terrain & wind.

Tough, tough slog on a couple of the canal sections. Adamstown to Hazelhatch and the stretch into Sallins particularly slow going between the mud and the wind. Had to clean out front mech a couple of times.

Absolutely bunched when I got home as final 5km were back into the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Due to both college and Christmas work commitments, haven't got out for a decent spin in ages, and haven't been keeping track of mileage properly for a few weeks either, so I decided to check my accounts and see what the mileage stands at, as it won't increase greatly between now and year's end. I was pleasantly surprised to see its sitting at roughly 2,500km for the year. Got new shoes for crimbo, and planning on upgrading the groupset as well after christmas. Looking forward to 2015, New year's resolution and all that :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hardest wind I've faced since our 2nd leg spin from Dublin to Westport, I was bunched 40km in, having planned to do 100km today on my own but clicked in at 74km which was disappointing but the wind and rain made it feel like 100km! :D
    Leg/hip/back getting back % by %. Need to get it checked again to see if any strenght gain, but its progress anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

31km on turbo Friday. 150km yesterday at 24.7kph avg speed and 130km today avg speed 24.8kph. My slowest in 2 years but it's endurance I'm working on at the weekends and not speed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Headed up from south Wexford yesterday just before first light and arrived in Dublin just as it was getting dark. 172k in total in about 7hr30 for 23kph average. Wind was favourable for the first two thirds of the trip but pretty horrible for the last hour, with descent down kilmac in traffic a bit of a nightmare. Didn't take any proper breaks, so my end to end time was 7:45 kept me mostly in daylight, but totally shattered on getting in. About 210k for the weekend which I'm well pleased with for this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The wind is ridiculous. Is there any one we can complain to?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

We should have a strong word with Beasty, let him know its really not on, and is incumbent on the mods to keep the winds under control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Indian takeaway last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Call it resistance training :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Its better than a fan :D

Indian takeaway last night?

Wetherspoons has the same effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

God?

The weather is all over the place.

two weeks ago it was 4c on Sunday, then yesterday for my Sunday spin it was 13-14c

Thats mad ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

bazermc wrote: »
    God?

The weather is all over the place.

two weeks ago it was 4c on Sunday, then yesterday for my Sunday spin it was 13-14c

Thats mad ted.

I wasn't out myself over the weekend, we were visiting relatives in Killarney and Tralee. Driving to Tralee on Sunday morning there were a few groups out and just want to give them some major Quodos, The wind was insane, almost to the point of downright dangerous.A section of the road after farranfore is high up and very exposed and even in the car we had a few brown trouser moments so i can only imagine what it was like on a bike. i don't know if they were mad or downright silly but their bike handling skills were tested to the limit. Chapeau to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

In fairness, it was seriously windy out there today. Got up at 5.30, sat out the back having a coffee and a smoke (3 coffees & 4 smokes for my shame) and watched the trees behind my house bend a little bit and then when intermittent gales hit them... bend a lot. :(

Recovering from the Ebola virus that my brothers' children gave me last week I thought... nah, car.

Stupid me then started talking about snow/ice and that you can't actually get on the bike. I had a choice. 'Twas a bit of a mental battle tbh. It's christmas etc.

That was some sh1tty wind this morning! Glad I gave it a lash. 32.2 done in and out of work.

317km done for December and 7,625 for the year, so far.

The temptation to hit 8,000 is strong but I don't think I will bother. I didn't have a target for the year as it's my first year of cycling (targetless) and I think I'll keep 8,000 as my minimum target for next year.

So eh, happy Xmas everyone. Props to anyone who put their ride here, no matter how big or small. I enjoyed reading about them and in some found inspiration/motivation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

In fairness, it was seriously windy out there today. Got up at 5.30, sat out the back having a coffee and a smoke (3 coffees & 4 smokes for my shame) and watched the trees behind my house bend a little bit and then when intermittent gales hit them... bend a lot. :(

Recovering from the Ebola virus that my brothers' children gave me last week I thought... nah, car.

Stupid me then started talking about snow/ice and that you can't actually get on the bike. I had a choice. 'Twas a bit of a mental battle tbh. It's christmas etc.

That was some sh1tty wind this morning! Glad I gave it a lash. 32.2 done in and out of work.

317km done for December and 7,625 for the year, so far.

The temptation to hit 8,000 is strong but I don't think I will bother. I didn't have a target for the year as it's my first year of cycling (targetless) and I think I'll keep 8,000 as my minimum target for next year.

So eh, happy Xmas everyone. Props to anyone who put their ride here, no matter how big or small. I enjoyed reading about them and in some found inspiration/motivation.

Jaysus, some amount of kms for a smoker! Fair play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement