Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

You don't? Christ, they let anyone cycle these days!

NB: I don't own, nor have I ever used, a sauna.

:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Lovely cycle on my new bike to Howth this morning.

Had to stop to call into the sis-in-law on my way back home from Howth. My feet were freezing. Turns out my socks were really wet from sweating and then the cold temps made them really cold.

I now have a pair of Raam's nice warm socks that he ain't getting back!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Lovely cycle on my new bike to Howth this morning.

Had to stop to call into the sis-in-law on my way back home from Howth. My feet were freezing. Turns out my socks were really wet from sweating and then the cold temps made them really cold.

I now have a pair of Raam's nice warm socks that he ain't getting back!

:pac:
    You sap.Cold feet. Man up will you. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

75k club spin from clontarf to Skerries and back. I had a fall near Swords while checking for someone at the back of the group, hit a kerb coming off a roundabout, nice and slow, grand soft grass to catch me, like falling into me scratcher, no harm done, home before it started lashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

You don't? Christ, they let anyone cycle these days!
    :D
    you have a sauna :eek:

yep bought off a b and b years ago replaced the heater a few years ago (its in my old stone shed but nice on a day like today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Just off the turbo. Steady 75k over 2.5hrs. Fan has made a great difference to the sweat factor. Will sleep well.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Went from Donnycarney to Howth - went up hill twice (both from Sutton side but two different ways nonetheless). When heading off it was sunny but cold. Then the rain came. It felt like being in a Belgian classic. did 44k in all. Must get overshoes though as couldnt feel feet come the end.

Myksyk wrote: »
    Just off the turbo. Steady 75k over 2.5hrs. Fan has made a great difference to the sweat factor. Will sleep well.

Respect man 10 minutes and i'm ready to fling everything out the window.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Pleasant surprise of having 5 days off work next week. Target - 150km, plus finally change the tires on the road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

... from Today's Indo:

"Despite the cold front, cyclists braved snow flurries in the Sally Gap, Co Wicklow"
    snow-i_1148923t.jpg

Anyone we know?

I went as high as Glencree on Saturday - no way I was going to risk a flop like these brave chaps :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

If there was a photographer in the backwoods towards Kilcock yesterday there was about 8 of us doing the same :-) The doctors would have a field day with us lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Had a sore back on Saturday morning, did a 60km cycle no problem apart from a gear problem, where I could only use the front cog for some unexplained reason.

Got home and off the bike and could hardly walk with the back pain. Missed my first cycle of the year yesterday and won't be out today either :(

Still in pain and haven't got around to looking at gears either.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Had a sore back on Saturday morning, did a 60km cycle no problem apart from a gear problem, where I could only use the front cog for some unexplained reason.

Got home and off the bike and could hardly walk with the back pain. Missed my first cycle of the year yesterday and won't be out today either :(

Still in pain and haven't got around to looking at gears either.
    go get your back checked out aint no fun been in pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Only managed a short spin today, but going from Eden Quay to the Malahide Road was the highlight. It was like watching an episode of the Bill with all the police activity in that 3km stretch.

First, an unmarked car put on their siren and pulled in a car on Eden Quay. I don't know what the car had done, but it resulted in a bus not being able to pull into the stop properly, causing the eircom van behind him to move right to overtake, into the path of a cyclist in the right hand lane. Words were exchanged while waiting for the lights to change.

Up Amiens St., and the lights were against me at Portland Row/Seville Place. The junction was quite busy with traffic coming from Seville Place. There was a woman sitting in the middle of the junction waiting to turn right down Amiens St., with a man waiting behind her to do the same. Sirens started wailing, coming from behind me, getting louder and louder, but traffic didn't stop crossing. Two outriders appeared and the traffic stopped, but the woman was still in the middle of the road. One Garda pointed at her and gestures with the air of authority that only a Garda possesses, as if to say to the woman, "If YOU don't MOVE THERE NOW, so help me, I'll get off this bike, and I'll...". I think the sun was in her eyes as she had to be told a second time before she moved. Following the outriders was a large green van. I didn't recognise the van and, at the time, I thought it was prison transport (even though they're white and blue) with some army connection. Turns out, it was the bomb squad :eek:

Continued on, through Fairview, and just before the turn for the Malahide Road, everyone was moving slowly and buses and taxis were leaving the bus lane. More Garda activity, but no sign of the outriders/bomb squad. Someone was getting medical attention at the side of the road (they were sitting, getting oxygen I think, so hopefully not too serious), and a small car with its rear bumper on the ground behind it. At that stage, I'd had enough excitement (and I was getting colder), so I took a left and cut out Baldoyle/Portmarnock/Malahide from my spin.

Lots of activity in less than 3km. There are days you think you'd never see a Garda.

Weather terrible today so on the Turbo again ... 80k. Averaged 34kph over the 2hr20m session and it brought my total to 2000km since buying the bike in September which I'm also happy with. Felt fine too so think the fitness is coming along. Think I won't have too much difficulty with my first 100k which I've signed up for mid-feb.

Weather terrible today so on the Turbo again ... 80k. Averaged 34kph over the 2hr20m session and it brought my total to 2000km since buying the bike in September which I'm also happy with. Felt fine too so think the fitness is coming along. Think I won't have too much difficulty with my first 100k which I've signed up for mid-feb.

respect man 10 minutes and i'm f...ed:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Been on the turbo myself most nights for the last couple of weeks. I've set the VR up with three virtual opponents, one slower than me, one at my average speed for the selected course, and one slightly faster than my best time to date. After 30-45 mins its borderline whether I'm going to barf, faint, or improve on my last time, but surprisingly good fun. My kids sometimes pop their heads 'round the corner to give me a hard time and cheer for the computer guys, bloody ingrates!

Looking forward to getting back to long lazy spins in the hills but the forecast is pretty atrocious this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Eh?? Sunday morning was grand on the east coast. Bit of a stiff breeze and a few showers but not too bad, was out for about 2 and a half hours. This thread should be about actually getting outside on the bike!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The ride home ca. 10km took 50 minutes. I got blown to a complete standstill half-a-dozen times. Traffic was light enough. I might wimp out and collect my daughter from the creche on foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Hi, first post to this forum. Only started cycling at Christmas and did my first proper "long" (40k) spin on Saturday. From Inchicore to Malahide along the coast and back down the Malahide Road. Also discovered first hand how magnetic Luas tracks are to the front wheel of a road bike! Painful and embarrassing when you're in the middle of O'Connell St on a Saturday afternoon!

• Advertisement

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Eh?? Sunday morning was grand on the east coast. Bit of a stiff breeze and a few showers but not too bad, was out for about 2 and a half hours. This thread should be about actually getting outside on the bike!!

Ha ... this is Ireland ... when has the weather on the east coast had any bearing on the weather on the west coast?

Sunday in my part of the west entailed gale force winds, torrential hail showers and persistent heavy rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Ha ... this is Ireland ... when has the weather on the east coast had any bearing on the weather on the west coast?

Sunday in my part of the west entailed gale force winds, torrential hail showers and persistent heavy rain.

Saturday wasn't any better. Went out for a 55km ride and had a headwind for the last 25km :mad:. Ah well, It's Ireland any way, it's to be expected I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'm not on the wimp list.:D 30km done today, not much by some peoples standards but it'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

14KM this morning, 18KM to do shortly, seems a little blustery out at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

hardCopy wrote: »
    14KM this morning, 18KM to do shortly, seems a little blustery out at the minute.

Woohoo! Tailwind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

First "proper" cycle of the year, had a few 20 Km outings but today ramped that up to 80ish. Conditions were excellent, no wind to speak of and the rain stayed away. Great to see so many guys and girls out, it was like a summers day.
    The first 50 felt ok, few tricky drags i managed without going into the red, the last 30 was a different story, nothing in the legs and a long way from home, anyway managed to get back to base, just about got up that climb from 5 mile bridge to the airport.
    It's no good until it hurts, and today it hurt, but it's gotta be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Conditions were excellent, no wind to speak of...

Jaysus, don't know about that! I had quite a stiff easterly breeze in my face between Baltinglass and Donard on the way back up. Besides that it was lovely weather to get out on the bike.

I met up with the senior lads from the club who were heading down to Carlow for the night. Good up and over stint between Blessington and Baltinglass. I turned round and headed home. A good 128km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

^
    ditto

I thought it was windy. 4km/h diff between my out and back legs.
    Ye must have Ben the big Lucan group with car that I passed out by Blessington?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

ROK ON wrote: »
    ^
    ditto

I thought it was windy. 4km/h diff between my out and back legs.
    Ye must have Ben the big Lucan group with car that I passed out by Blessington?

That was the inter/sportive group. I was with the 'fast' lads. No support for those guys. Shame I couldn't make the weekend trip but something cropped up. There'll be some sore heads making their way back to Dublin tomorrow!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Out with Swords Satmorn group from Blakes X this morn. Tore out with a friend from home as was almost late and just in time. Loads of ice on road shortly before Collinstown (think thats what it's called) hill after Lusk and about 4 riders came down and God knows how I managed to stay upright. Had to bunny hop onto a fallen bike an just stayed up. Had to call an ambulance for a faller who possibly has a broken leg/hip. Hope he is ok. Turned around and came home with exceeding care. Not going out in icy conditions ever again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement