Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

In fairness, it was seriously windy out there today. Got up at 5.30, sat out the back having a coffee and a smoke (3 coffees & 4 smokes for my shame) and watched the trees behind my house bend a little bit and then when intermittent gales hit them... bend a lot. :(

Recovering from the Ebola virus that my brothers' children gave me last week I thought... nah, car.

Stupid me then started talking about snow/ice and that you can't actually get on the bike. I had a choice. 'Twas a bit of a mental battle tbh. It's christmas etc.

That was some sh1tty wind this morning! Glad I gave it a lash. 32.2 done in and out of work.

317km done for December and 7,625 for the year, so far.

The temptation to hit 8,000 is strong but I don't think I will bother. I didn't have a target for the year as it's my first year of cycling (targetless) and I think I'll keep 8,000 as my minimum target for next year.

So eh, happy Xmas everyone. Props to anyone who put their ride here, no matter how big or small. I enjoyed reading about them and in some found inspiration/motivation.

Much the same here (also a smoker :( ). I did set a target of 4,500km for the year and I'm now at 4,800km and 35,000m which is all good. I don't have a commuting option unfortunately.

I'll set 5,500 for 2015 (Wicklow 200 being the ultimate aim) but for now the bike is upside down awaiting the Campy Zondas and a 105 groupset. I'll be getting the lend of a power bar tomorrow to remove the BB.

Happy Christmas to all here. My next post in this thread will be after a spin on an (almost) new bike!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In fairness, it was seriously windy out there today. Got up at 5.30, sat out the back having a coffee and a smoke (3 coffees & 4 smokes for my shame) and watched the trees behind my house bend a little bit and then when intermittent gales hit them... bend a lot. :(

Recovering from the Ebola virus that my brothers' children gave me last week I thought... nah, car.

Stupid me then started talking about snow/ice and that you can't actually get on the bike. I had a choice. 'Twas a bit of a mental battle tbh. It's christmas etc.

That was some sh1tty wind this morning! Glad I gave it a lash. 32.2 done in and out of work.

317km done for December and 7,625 for the year, so far.

The temptation to hit 8,000 is strong but I don't think I will bother. I didn't have a target for the year as it's my first year of cycling (targetless) and I think I'll keep 8,000 as my minimum target for next year.

So eh, happy Xmas everyone. Props to anyone who put their ride here, no matter how big or small. I enjoyed reading about them and in some found inspiration/motivation.

Only good,thing about 5:30 is,that you have the roads to yourself. With the wind this morning it makes it a bit safer to have empty roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

did 53 Km this morning,
    Leixlip Dunboyne Summerhill Kilcock and back to Leixlip, mild but terrible wind on the way out and didn't have a rain cape!!
    u live and learn, must get a computer- any recommendations?
    also for a rain cape?
    looks like a better but colder day tomorrow
    happy christmas all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Had an 'altercation' with a car on the merrion road this morning - my first bad experience since I started cycling :(
    A car in the left hand land was stopped waiting to turn right at Shewsbury Park - I was cycling along in the bus lane when a car undertook the car waiting to turn and cut right across me in the bus lane. Luckily I jammed on the brakes so my front tyre only touched the door of the car - but as it was my first bad experience it knocked my confidence a bit for the rest of my cycle. Was there anything I should do differently? Normally I keep an eye out for such situations but the undertaking car was going at a fierce pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

devonp wrote: »
    did 53 Km this morning,
    Leixlip Dunboyne Summerhill Kilcock and back to Leixlip, mild but terrible wind on the way out and didn't have a rain cape!!
    u live and learn, must get a computer- any recommendations?
    also for a rain cape?
    looks like a better but colder day tomorrow
    happy christmas all

WRT a computer, it depends what you are looking for. At the top end, CycleSuperStore have a Garmin Edge 510 with Cadence Sensor & HRM on special - today only - for €299 (inc postage - link).

At the other end, this Cateye Velo from Halfords will set you back €43.99 (link). No GPS, but it's wireless and these are robust.

Another alternative is to use a smartphone with something like Strava running on it. And it's free ...

I don't know about rain capes - I carry a cheapo squash sack rain jacket which keeps some of the worst of the rain off, but also works quite well as a wind-break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Had an 'altercation' with a car on the merrion road this morning - my first bad experience since I started cycling :(
    A car in the left hand land was stopped waiting to turn right at Shewsbury Park - I was cycling along in the bus lane when a car undertook the car waiting to turn and cut right across me in the bus lane. Luckily I jammed on the brakes so my front tyre only touched the door of the car - but as it was my first bad experience it knocked my confidence a bit for the rest of my cycle. Was there anything I should do differently? Normally I keep an eye out for such situations but the undertaking car was going at a fierce pace.

Not much you can do about what happened, at least you didn't suffer a spill. It's impossible to anticipate every random event, apart from growing eyes in the back of your head, to borrow a quote from Hill Street Blues " be careful out there"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Not much you can do about what happened, at least you didn't suffer a spill. It's impossible to anticipate every random event, apart from growing eyes in the back of your head, to borrow a quote from Hill Street Blues " be careful out there"

It's impossible to prevent every possible event, but there are a few things you can do. Taking an assertive position in the lane makes you more visible and obvious to drivers, whereas hugging the kerb is probably the most dangerous position, as this encourages drivers to squeeze through.

Also, a helmetcam or two can be useful for recording details of events, both for your own learning or for reporting to Gardai in serious cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

RainyDay wrote: »
    It's impossible to prevent every possible event, but there are a few things you can do. Taking an assertive position in the lane makes you more visible and obvious to drivers, whereas hugging the kerb is probably the most dangerous position, as this encourages drivers to squeeze through.

Also, a helmetcam or two can be useful for recording details of events, both for your own learning or for reporting to Gardai in serious cases.

This ^^^

It's easier said than done though.

I suppose it has to do with confidence and that growing the more you cycle. Even up to about 3 months ago I was quite out from the kerb but still enough in to let cars pass me in the likes of bus lanes.

Ever since my incident with a Taxi a few months ago in a Bus lane, I am about 2-3 foot out from the gutter, either sit behind me or actually overtake me.... but at the same time I am aware of the road I am on/lane widths etc. I'm not out to be a pain in the ass.

The only thing I'd offer is that you should always be looking behind you. (Same if you're driving a car) A quick flick of your head, especially if you see a possible situation ahead. Assess what's coming behind you.

There are a few spots that I commute past where cars will sit waiting to turn right and the general traffic undertakes them. There no point in blissfully cycling away. You have to calculate how far you are from the danger point, if there is enough distance for a car to overtake you and undertake the right turning car etc. Is there anyone even behind you?

I'm not about to teach someone to "suck eggs", an expression I don't really get btw but when I am commuting its a bit like the original Terminator film. It's like having one of those Heads Up Displays the Terminator has. Always calculating and feeding back data.

I had a car try and overtake me before a round about in a housing estate last night. I could hear his acceleration behind me, even though it was about 20 metres away.

I held my ground in the middle of the lane

He ended up going around the roundabout the wrong way.

You can't factor in total idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks for the advice guys - onwards & upwards hopefully! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Went out for 2 hours this morning. I don't think it got above freezing on the way round, thankfully the main roads were well gritted. Just spun the legs and kept it steady. Hopefully a club spin tomorrow too as the weekend looks set to be even colder than today. One or two others out on the road and of course plenty of walkers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Just back from a 30k spin around Howth and Baldoyle. Cold but lovely and sunny. Plenty cyclists out around Howth. Even managed a PR on ascent from the village to the summit, probably because I was trying to catch 2 lads 500m in front of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Got out for a spot of sightseeing around Dublin city. Had hoped to head north of my parents house but the back roads were far too icy so headed central instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

42 kms this morning. Greystones to Roundwood and back. First time up Slaughter Hill, and it totally lives up to its name! Beautiful morning for a spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

veetwin wrote: »
    Just back from a 30k spin around Howth and Baldoyle. Cold but lovely and sunny. Plenty cyclists out around Howth. Even managed a PR on ascent from the village to the summit, probably because I was trying to catch 2 lads 500m in front of me!

We may have crossed paths, but I took in Malahide Rd, Fairview & Clontarf before hitting Howth, Portmarnock and home.

Tbh I didn't enjoy todays riding, I tweaked a knee injury almost from the 'get-go and it niggled at me the whole time. Then it seemed I got ever red light, combined with the cold it took forever to get my heart rate up. Then I found the coast road freezing, and tbh I couldn't wait to get home and a warm shower.

Got shouted at by walkers on the cycle path in Clontarf lol.

Here's a photo from the wooden bridge on Dollier.

332713.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Bringing my bike home with me next year. I always forget how boring Christmas day is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

An hours detour to the feast in my folks to hopefully alleviate the Christmas rotundness before it arrives, roads were fairly quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I went for a walk with my dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Went out for my annual Steven's Day 'burn the hangover' spin. With a twist.

Took the Thorn Club Tour out for its inaugural spin. With full stainless steel mudguards, rack and handlebar bags, dynamo hub and 35mm tyres it's a touch heavier (~1kg) than my Giant and the ride is a little more sedate. Not much mind, averaged 22.5kph outbound, 18kph home (in a serious headwind/rain). Handling is very good and it rides very smoothly though the new leather saddle started to assert itself around 85km.

Stopped for a brew with the Faceless Monk at Bective Abbey which was conveniently out of the rain...

Home -> Swords -> Garristown -> Kilmessan -> Bective Abbey -> Dunshaughlin -> Ratoath -> Airport -> Home.
    112km door to door in about 5h45...

Tea_with_the_Faceless_Monk-s.jpg
    Tea-s.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

First time I've done any sort of climb since getting the new bike. Took her stocking lane > old military road > cruagh road > Rathfarnham. Not a long or quick journey but nice to finally be able to get some climbing done now that I have more than 1 gear. I'll defo try it (or the reverse route) again before the new year, might even venture up past view point.

Was quite scary during the descent, a lot of surface water and poxy impatient cars behind me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bloody miserable conditions out there this morning. I got a puncture about 22k into the ride. After dealing with it I was so wet and cold I decided to wimp out and return home. Feet were frozen even with heavy duty overshoes but I suppose I can't expect anything else with no mudguards. Just 44km in total.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

For my birthday I asked for a turbo trainer. And I got it!

First got at it today. I did the trainerroad FTP. A lot of work is needed!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

My first spin out with the club since Dec 2012 due to the back/hip issues I have had, picked our club race to return but hey why not! :D
    By heck it was cold and wet and windy on the return leg. I was put in the 1st group, we had 3 minutes, but we had only 8 which reduced to 5 after about 10km, we held off the group until the last KM but into a strong headwind we were always going to be caught. Finished which I was very happy with and no "real" pain, lungs and legs in bits but hey thats what I have been waiting for for 2 years! :D
    Happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I've had a hybrid lying up for awhile, tbh I think its geometry is more along the lines of a mountain bike.. Its got semi-knobbly tires so I decided to hit some trails around St.Annes Park in Raheny, Dublin.

I didn't think I'd expend much energy so I didn't have a computer/HRM onboard so I've no idea what distance I traveled or how efficient what started out as a leisurely cycle but quickly turned into something far more strenuous!!.

I'd never done any sort of offroad riding before, and I'll say this ~ I'd an absolute ball of a time, I was like a kid on the mucky, gravel trails.. Coming down one or two hills scared the crap out of me lol!.

Now I'm tempted to dump the mudguards and get some proper knobbly tires for the craic :D

332853.jpg

332854.jpg

332855.jpg

I got home bathed in sweat, my legs hurting and bloody tired ~ I'm surprised how tough it was!.. Great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

66K to Cabinteely to Roundwood - hadn't been out in 3 weeks and felt it - sure all the festive gorging also contributed.. It was cold, slow and lonely! Best part was the cup of tea after..and being chased by a load of dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

75k round trip from Tullamore via the Cut and the Wolf Trap. Plenty of snow in the mountains made for scary descending. Bloody perishing!

Bloody miserable conditions out there this morning. I got a puncture about 22k into the ride. After dealing with it I was so wet and cold I decided to wimp out and return home. Feet were frozen even with heavy duty overshoes but I suppose I can't expect anything else with no mudguards. Just 44km in total.
    Another 3 punctures today! The Conti GP4000's are coming off as I've no confidence in them now. Back to the Gatorskins even if it means I'll have to corner like a granny.

I had 4 spare tubes with me. When changing the 3rd puncture, my fingers and thumbs were so cold I couldn't get the last bit of tyre back on the rim so I chanced using a lever and must have nicked the tube. Decided to cut the ride short as I had nothing left. Only 80k done - was hoping to do 120-150k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

Another 3 punctures today! The Conti GP4000's are coming off as I've no confidence in them now. Back to the Gatorskins even if it means I'll have to corner like a granny.

I had 4 spare tubes with me. When changing the 3rd puncture, my fingers and thumbs were so cold I couldn't get the last bit of tyre back on the rim so I chanced using a lever and must have nicked the tube. Decided to cut the ride short as I had nothing left. Only 80k done - was hoping to do 120-150k.

Try GP4seasons, definitely more puncture protection than the 4000s but ride really well.

70km this morning, had to be home early so didn't go with the club, myself and macbane66 took a spin through middle Kildare which got me over the line on my 10K for the year attempt, chilly enough in the wind but not too worried about that as long as there was no black ice about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Durano plus are excellent on durability, puncture protection and grip. 4 season have a double puncture band also rather than 1 on 4000s

nilhg wrote: »
    Try GP4seasons, definitely more puncture protection than the 4000s but ride really well.....
    ford2600 wrote: »
    Durano plus are excellent on durability, puncture protection and grip. 4 season have a double puncture band also rather than 1 on 4000s
    Thanks lads - food for thought there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

There was ice on my road when I left at 9am this morning, but the main roads seemed a bit better. Still managed a respectable 120km of sitting on the wheels of the lads I was out with.

Hopefully it's not the same in the morning, hoping to get out early for a few hours before lunchtime.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement