Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_gti wrote: »
    ...Hopefully it's not the same in the morning, hoping to get out early for a few hours before lunchtime.
    It's to be much worse tomorrow!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It's to be much worse tomorrow!

Is it ya? I had planned 2 to 3 hours on my own, if its going to be dodgy then no point chancing it, time for turbo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Back home for the Christmas. Headed out Stephens Day with my Dad. We generally do it every year. Absolutely frozen on the bike. Haven't felt that cold in a while. Felt like leaving him at times and just hammering it back home but I'm glad I didn't. 56km all in all.

I had planned to head out this morning and do 3-4 hours on the bike but the girlfriend was over so instead I convinced her to give the bike a try. We did about 3km just through the park. It's the first time she's been on a bike since she fell off at age of 5. She seemed to enjoy it and wants to do it again. I'm really glad I skipped the training and headed out with her instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Back home for the Christmas. Headed out Stephens Day with my Dad. We generally do it every year. Absolutely frozen on the bike. Haven't felt that cold in a while. Felt like leaving him at times and just hammering it back home but I'm glad I didn't. 56km all in all.

I had planned to head out this morning and do 3-4 hours on the bike but the girlfriend was over so instead I convinced her to give the bike a try. We did about 3km just through the park. It's the first time she's been on a bike since she fell off at age of 5. She seemed to enjoy it and wants to do it again. I'm really glad I skipped the training and headed out with her instead.

Time with the Dad AND girlfriend is pretty damned precious & beats any cycle by yourself.. You're a lucky guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

First time up and out properly in ages. 30ish km from the folks house to Dunmore East and back with a neighbour. Really beautiful morning, especially on the way out. Not a whole pile of ice left on the roads and very little traffic. A particularly nasty cold and wet wind hit us from the bay coming into DE. Hung around on the harbour for about 2 minutes before hopping back on and heading home. Even nastier cold headwind on the way back.

I was rightly off form from not being on the saddle for more than 10-20km stop-start commuting journeys, but it was really enjoyable. Forgot how nice it is going cycling with someone for company. I had put a Brooks Flyer on the bike that I'd used on a previous build. Forgot how slippy it can be if not installed perfectly. Comfortable but a right pain in the arse trying to stay in the right spot.

Also gave my Planet X merino jersey and winter bib tights their first spin... Really nice - Glad I picked them up in the 3 for 2 offer before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Spin out to Blessington on the N81. Main road was fine due low hedgerow far from the road itself. Past the village where the road narrowed and the hedgerow was on top of you was a different story. Side of the road still shaded. Turned for home about 500 meters past Blessington, just not worth the risk.

http://www.strava.com/activities/233755335

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I put ice tyres on the mountain bike today. Went for a spin without any problems but some unfortunate person on a road bike tried to follow me around a corner and came off. They were unhurt luckily.

Cyclist involved in accident just south of Blake's Cross about 1pm. Unofficial reports are not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Spin to Trim with some mates 2 punctures for me on the way back all of them in Corduff and 1 puncture for my mate outside Trim,..... Horribly icy in parts and the Phoenix park this morning was just an ice rink, Going to Trim we had to take it really easy as on the way there and back as we saw one guy slip had to take an extended break to get something hot to eat as it was just freezing and road conditions in some areas where a nightmare there are parts where in your rear wheel just spins cos there is no grip and out of the blue you just start drifting left and right, had to spin to and fro just to control the bike. we arrived in Dublin when it was dark already and we had to go insisde to Phoenix park again cos my mate left his car there and cycling in the dark with the road conditions there is pretty nerve wracking ;-P Glad to be home now.

http://www.strava.com/activities/233864850

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

While in Oz got a cycle in, really flat so easy from that front. But god I sweated busy enough roads however with quiet few lights all way.

http://www.strava.com/activities/232027364

and a pic of the bike I got the borrowing of, so racey so reactive so bit diff to what had before something else just accelerates so easily.

IMAG1359_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

@Wishbone Ash.

Well done on knocking out 1,000 KM for December.

Pretty impressive!

@Wishbone Ash.

Well done on knocking out 1,000 KM for December.

Pretty impressive!
    Thanks Unknown Soldier - I had a target of 20,000 for the year but I'm going to come up short and will be lucky to hit 19'000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I had a target of 20,000 for the year but I'm going to come up short and will be lucky to hit 19'000.

Sir, you are a cycling cyborg. Casque bas*!

I'm 1500km behind my 10k target and still quite happy about it...

* © rollingscone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Went for a lovely 60km spin with fellow boardsie G1032 and a friend of his. First person I've met on the internet I think and he didn't murder me so a great success I think!

It brought me over 3000km since I started cycling in April so very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Just in from a 84k spin
    It's gets cold when that sun drops

Went tallaght kilteel naas clane kilcock maynooth celbridge tallaght

Hit one small bit of ice in a shaded part just past kilteel,just managed to avoid a spill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

12 element wrote: »
    Went for a lovely 60km spin with fellow boardsie G1032 and a friend of his. First person I've met on the internet I think and he didn't murder me so a great success I think!

It brought me over 3000km since I started cycling in April so very happy with that.

Ya. Lovely spin today. Had a good time. I've not stopped eating since I got in though. Starving!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

Thinking of going out through Tallaght, Saggart, Rathcoole and into Celbridge tomorrow. Hoping that the ice will be cleared. Anyone have any experience out that way today?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

MLC61 wrote: »
    Thinking of going out through Tallaght, Saggart, Rathcoole and into Celbridge tomorrow. Hoping that the ice will be cleared. Anyone have any experience out that way today?

Was out there today 99% of the roads were fine just the odd patch in shaded areas to keep an eye out for

Thanks for that. Have spent the last two days out to Howth and back which is getting a little boring.
    I am nervous of Enniskerry - roads will be slippery as its higher. Figured this would be a good spin.
    Any other suggestions given the risk of frost/ice?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Thanks for that. Have spent the last two days out to Howth and back which is getting a little boring.
    I am nervous of Enniskerry - roads will be slippery as its higher. Figured this would be a good spin.
    Any other suggestions given the risk of frost/ice?

Just back from a spin to Enniskerry from Rathmines - road were ice free so there should be no problems tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Did you go out past Enniskerry?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Did you go out past Enniskerry?

Nope,just to the village and back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

jober wrote: »
    Was out there today 99% of the roads were fine just the odd patch in shaded areas to keep an eye out for

Parts of Aylmer rd in Newcastle were lethal today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Inspired by Donal ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93600931&postcount=3612 ) I went to see if there is any snow on top of Kippure this morning at 5:20 :D There was none, to the disappointment of studded tyres that rolled me there.

Sorry for a shoity pic, my phone just can't do better. Even despite I was holding the front light in my teeth to shed some light on this.

1530676_1578423749042399_2030350860_n.jpg

http://app.strava.com/activities/234801025

The headwind was absolutely mad going uphill, steady 50-60km/h while going through featherbeds - lowest gear all the way :) For some reason I started thinking about the lovely youth that ocassionally visits these roads to burn some cars and I can't really tell it made my trip fully enjoyable. Thankfully going up Kippure shook these thoughts off me and allowed to concetrate on pure suffering.

Last trip of the year, quite good for my standards: 59km and 1171m climbing.

Gosh, those studded tyres are heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Alek wrote: »
    Inspired by Donal
    I went to see if there is any snow on top of Kippure this morning at 5:20 :D There was none, to the disappointment of studded tyres that rolled me there.

The headwind was absolutely mad going uphill, steady 50-60km/h while going through featherbeds - lowest gear all the way :) For some reason I started thinking about the lovely youth that ocassionally visits these roads to burn some cars and I can't really tell it made my trip fully enjoyable. Thankfully going up Kippure shook these thoughts off me and allowed to concetrate on pure suffering.

Last trip of the year, quite good for my standards: 59km and 1171m climbing.

Gosh, those studded tyres are heavy.

Mad Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Three weeks of abuse since I was last on the bike. I'm not a big drinker but a 30th and a reunion that ended at 6am combined with multiple big dinners and cream filled delights were absolute bliss/carnage all rolled into one so the body is probably in as bad a shape as it's been in a while. Weight is up to 78 kg from 73 3 weeks ago.
    I really struggled for a while today. Blew a gasket going up a pimple of a hill, had to sit down on a wall for a minute at the top. I thought I was going well just a minute before that but when I changed gear I completely gassed in about 2 seconds flat. Funnily enough I was a lot better once I got my breath back. Got a couple of wind assisted PRs on the home stretch. Petty but comforting all the same.
    So here's to 2014 - it's been fun. Hopefully 2015 is as good or better. Happy new year to ye all

Longwood - Moyvalley - Clogharinkoe - Broadford - Longwood. 34.4km in 1:22:59 @ 24.9 kmph. http://www.strava.com/activities/234844596

Went for a well wrapped up walk up Kippure, spotted a few hardy souls going over the Sally Gap in the driving wind and rain. Kudos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

First day back in awhile , 35k on the road. Flipping cold and back killing me but good to be out

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭alentejo

Ditched the road bike and took out the hybrid. Terenure, Rathfarnham, Stocking Land and then turned off at the Hell Fire Club and all the way to the top. Short but enjoyable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Very windy and wet today but I didn't give in! Clocked in 82.5 kms in 3hrs 3mins. The fierce wind makes me go harder! ;-) My stats so far (since I got my Briton Ryder 20 thanks boards.ie alert): started and first log on Strava 18th July this year, distance covered since 2500 kms with 19596 m elevation gain, done in 97 hrs.

I'd like to thank to my fellow cyclists for their inspirations and advices here on boards! Happy new year to you and yours, many enjoyable new kms and be safe out there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement