Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Gave up on an icey climb up the Sligo way on Monday due to time constraints but made up for it today, and boy was it muddy, my tyres normally handle mud well but the back tyre is getting worn and kept spinning out, the front is still good but decided enough was enough midway through a fairly easy corner and flipped me into a ditch. Body is OK but the wheel is slightly out of line I think.

First proper time out in about 5 or 6 weeks too, so I suffered for it, new years resolution is to break 3500 km, for 99% of regulars here that sounds small but with the kids and all I'm not getting as many hours out as I'd like, not to mention you cover a lot less distance mountain biking, so, achievable targets and all that!

36.7km in 2hr 52min, avg 12.8km/h (which if you know the climbs and condition of the terrain isn't as bad as it sounds!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Cold & windy in Cork this morning, really struggled in to work, pulled a muscle in my back taking the bike from the rack, my rear hub and/or free wheel has decided to start making loads of noise too, and I spotted 2 lads nicking a junction sign post on the way in to Ballincollig.......

Happy New Year anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

An hour and a half on the turbo. Starting to like it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

The_Sub wrote: »
    Cold & windy in Cork this morning, really struggled in to work, pulled a muscle in my back taking the bike from the rack, my rear hub and/or free wheel has decided to start making loads of noise too, and I spotted 2 lads nicking a junction sign post on the way in to Ballincollig.......

Happy New Year anyway

Twas the same in Dublin although the wind was with me on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

First time out since the 21st and I felt it. Battled wind ,rain ,cramp and Christmas pudding . 52km at a slow 24kph but hopefully getting the year off to a good start .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Only just sent that to a friend of mine. Nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got out this evening for 33km.
    Really enjoyed it. Nice wind at my back for 10km or so in the middle. I gave it holly for as long as I could and HR was through the roof but I couldn't give a hoot. Just good to be out.
    I only managed 60km in the whole of January last year so I guess I'm off to a much better start this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Got to cycle my new bike home. Di2 will take some getting used too. The buttons are different. I also need to charge my battery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

godtabh wrote: »
    Got to cycle my new bike home. Di2 will take some getting used too. The buttons are different. I also need to charge my battery!

Enjoy! The bike looked savage from what I can recall.

You'll only need to charge the battery about 2/3 times a year btw, unless you are changing gears a lot. The whole you can get X amount of KMs per charge is crap.

Don't have the firmware updated past the July 2014 version either.

• Advertisement

Well wear
    #jealous!:)

Enjoy! The bike looked savage from what I can recall.

You'll only need to charge the battery about 2/3 times a year btw, unless you are changing gears a lot. The whole you can get X amount of KMs per charge is crap.

Don't have the firmware updated past the July 2014 version either.

Not sure what firmware is on it but from what I heard the cost would put me off upgrading any way

Out of interest why wouldn't you update to the July 2014 version?

Out of interest why wouldn't you update to the July 2014 version?

Post July/August the firmware stopped you mixing between various Electrical groups. E.G. You could mix Dura Ace levers with Ultegra Di2 and make the 10s to 11s or backwards.

The firmware release in August/September made "mashing" no longer an option.

http://fitwerx.com/converting-shimano-ultegra-6770-di2-to-11-speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Forgetting to charge your battery is up there with the unclipping embarrassing moments. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Zyzz wrote: »
    Forgetting to charge your battery is up there with the unclipping embarrassing moments. :o

those boyos on electric scooters.....

;)

/jealous

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Got in a nice 101km cycle today
    Kept it nice and flat
    Tallaght lucan dunboyne summerhill kilcock clane celbridge tallaght

(Shockling) I was on the turbo again this morning. Worst torture ever. An hour of Dora the explorer and my fan club telling me I'm too loud

What did you get?

Cube Agree GTC SLT Di2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A man with a shotgun told me to "keep her lit", so I obliged.

As much as I appreciate the sunshine in the winter providing some warmth, it's annoying how low it stays, blinding you. Even side on, the flicker passing trees and bushes is enough to give me a headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The missus took the kids off to see a friend today, "You go for a cycle " she says....Happy days!!!! Decided on doing my first 100k of the year. No rush, keep the HR down, 25-27 kmph, it'll be grand.
    Sunshine and very mild breeze. A bit chilly but nothing serious.

Headed for Tara, went around the easy side and made nice time but noticed a rubbing sound about half way up. I thought it was the back brake, checked it, couldn't see anything wrong. Continued up the hill but the sound got worse. I slowed down to check it again and when I went to unclip the left Crank came straight off. The momentary panic of seeing a lump of bike hanging off my shoe was nothing compared to the sheer terror a second later when I tried to unclip the right pedal and pulled the whole crankset out of the bottom bracket. Standing there with the 2 halves of my crankset still attached to the soles of my shoes instead of my bike I was some sight.
    Then I realised I'd left the multitool in my other jacket.

Wife gone away, 30 k from home, bike broke and no multitool. This must be how Shackleton felt. Or maybe the crew of Apollo 13.

I headed up the hill pushing the bike, hoping there would be some other cyclists up there but no luck. All I could do was call a mate who lives a few miles away and ask for thankfully he arrived a few minutes later with Allen keys. 2ezic8l.jpg
    So off down the hill I went and then turned back up the hard side for a lung burster, then coffee and then home.

Noticed that the front derailleur wasn't shifting easily back to the big ring, so I just left it on the small ring. Made it about 2 k past Trim and the fücking Crank came off again, obviously not tightened enough. Had to walk back into Trim hoping a garage would be open and at this stage the sun was low in the sky. Just walking around the ring road a knight in shining lycra and a day old Cube on his maiden voyage came to my assistance. Ian, if you're reading this then I owe you more than a pint.

This time I tightened the bastard properly and made it home without further mishap.
    So was it a disaster? No. Despite pulling over for a few seconds to let a bus down, I set a PR going back up Tara. I also got a pile of 2015 KOMs including one which should have the honour of being the worst time ever to set a record, 3.7 km in 44 minutes, 37 minutes behind the all time KOM.
    The moral of the story - never leave home without your tool

So, 71.7 km in 3:05:52 (4:11:42 total time) @ 23.2 kmph ( including the walking :) )

http://www.strava.com/activities/236157511

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Daroxtar wrote: »
    fücking Crank came off again, obviously not tightened enough. [/url]

I'm sure you're aware but just in case.......

When you're tightening that crank be sure to tighten each bolt in turn. Don't tighten one all the way and then the other. Tighten one with a 5mm Allen Key until it's just more than hand tight then do the same with the other. Repeat until both are tight. Torque to 14Nm but be sure to set the preload (plastic screw cap) first.

EDIT: Re-torque the bolts regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'm sure you're aware but just in case.......

When you're tightening that crank be sure to tighten each bolt in turn. Don't tighten one all the way and then the other. Tighten one with a 5mm Allen Key until it's just more than hand tight then do the same with the other. Repeat until both are tight. Torque to 14Nm but be sure to set the preload (plastic screw cap) first.

EDIT: Re-torque the bolts regularly.

I was just a bit cautious first time, it says 12-14 nm but I didn't have a torque wrench and didn't want to ring the bolts. Gave it more the second time, still only about 8nm going by my wrench this evening but it's all nice and tight now.

Got in 100km today. Delighted with the cycle. Spent most of it in Zone 2 HR. Not a bit tired after it. Must be something to this heart monitor craic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

G1032 wrote: »
    Got in 100km today. Delighted with the cycle. Spent most of it in Zone 2 HR. Not a bit tired after it. Must be something to this heart monitor craic!!

Well done, it's a difficult thing to do. We are all so obsessed with speed or average km per hour. It takes real discipline to "hold back". I find that over time you might be losing a little but it will pay off and you will gain a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

66km out with Ratoath CC, first spin of the year and felt great. Put the Mavic R-SYS wheels on and they are supremely light, shod with brand new continental Gp 4000 II

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I properly took up cycling at the start of 2014 and have loved every second of it. I had a nice ride with friends last night and decided to check the strava graphs re speed for this ride versus the first time I did this route last year. It's 2x18.5km laps. I remember almost keeling over when I did the ride in early 2014, and last night I was feeling great when I finished.

Early 2014 ride
    2014.jpg

Early 2015 ride
    2015.jpg

:)

Borderfox wrote: »
    66km out with Ratoath CC, first spin of the year and felt great. Put the Mavic R-SYS wheels on and they are supremely light, shod with brand new continental Gp 4000 II

Fairplay. I'm too cowardly to head out in the current conditions :o

Are those wheels not "too nice" to be out on during Winter? This whole "winter wheels" thing is still confusing the life outta me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Started training for the Galway cycle from maynooth today. Only 10km but tacked on 25 of my own to bring me to 35km. Seems small but I've been off the bike since September and felt like I was falling out of love with it. But this morning was absolutely fantastic. I suffered yes but just the hum of the bike and the quiet of the road early in the morning reminded me why I started cycling in the first place. Onwards and upwards to hopefully a great year on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

53kms this morning. Had planned to go Greystones to Enniskerry up to Glencree and back via Aurora but up past Glencree was just too icy so headed back the same way. Beautiful morning to be out on the bike!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement