Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Treacherous enough on the commute home this morning in Dublin. Bus and bike lanes were best avoided and as you got off the beaten path, frost was pretty much everywhere. Took it slow and smooth and thankfully didn't have a spill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

78km spin this morning Waterford to Thomastown and back, first proper long distance since October not including turbo sessions. Also my last spin for a few weeks but enjoyed it. Didn't notice a lot of wind around until the turn back home from Thomastown then it was a nasty surprise for most of us. Nice few drags, dry day and enjoyed suffering the last 15-20km after refereeing a rugby match yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Started training for the Galway cycle from maynooth today. Only 10km but tacked on 25 of my own to bring me to 35km. Seems small but I've been off the bike since September and felt like I was falling out of love with it. But this morning was absolutely fantastic. I suffered yes but just the hum of the bike and the quiet of the road early in the morning reminded me why I started cycling in the first place. Onwards and upwards to hopefully a great year on the bike.

Ah so another boardsie was there , I was having a chat with another boardsie (Orion) before it started , I don't know if you spotted us , the 2 of us were in the new boards kit , I didn't partake in the training this morning , I did my own spin instead , hopefully see you next weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got my first proper spin in today after two weeks off the bike due to Christmas, upgrades and weather.

I headed out to Blessington to get a feel for the bike on familiar roads. Thankfully any ice had melted by the time I got to Lisheens. I kept a much better pace than I'd planned and I could feel it in the legs on the way back.

I must say, I find the new Zonda wheels quite lively.

Anyway, I'm happy to have gotten out and that the bike is running smooth.

54km, 350m @ 26.8km/h

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Short spin up Cruagh - Pine forest - Kiltiernan and back this afternoon. Great to have the bike up and running again after the Christmas drive train overhaul, and having a bike that actually behaves itself. Only 30k and a lamentable pace but thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Icy enough day, even after 1pm on the way up from the viewing point to te featherbeds!

Had planned to assault kippure but was very icy on the way to glencree so turned back. Did a second cruagh loop instead. 50k with 869m climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/236598613

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

First spin of 2015 today and was refreshing enough - covered 56.5km from Knocklyon - Glencree - Sallygap - Glencullen - Three Rock and back home.
    Until I got up to Kippure I thought I'd gotten away with not bringing the jacket!

Recall also another cyclist pointing out my Boards jersey just as I was entering Glencree from the Featherbeds [around 12:30]?

Overall a nice cycle, but did have several chain issues throughout the day - just on that, to the dog-walker further up in Glencree who helped me out with my chain [after it got caught between the cassette and spokes] if you happen to be reading, many thanks again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Target was 100 today so headed for the flat route,
    Got 100.5 km done from rathfarnham, tallaght, kings wood , grange castle Lucan, Clonee ,Kilbride ,swords ,malahide, portmarnock, Sutton , East wall ,merrion gates ,donny brook ,rathgar templeogue,and around the block to make it over the 100, finished in the dark.
    No bother as no inclines , no wind, compared to my usual Wicklow hills.
    Not bad for an auld fella in early January avg 22kph.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Georgous day for a spin, went out at 11am but clicked up 92.5km @ 27.5kmph avg. Was on my own but kept it pretty steady, hip and thigh playe up around 70km but I kept it at a cadence around 110 rpm to keep it from locking.
    Went out to Newport, down to Mulranny and out the Atlantic drive, took a few photos when i stopped to "empty the tanks" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

132km in total - Dublin 15 to sally gap, stopped off In laragh for a coffee. Tackled the Wicklow gap in the way home, quick spin around the lake then home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Fairplay. I'm too cowardly to head out in the current conditions :o

Are those wheels not "too nice" to be out on during Winter? This whole "winter wheels" thing is still confusing the life outta me.

I have the Mavic wheels or Campagnolo Zondas for the bike, no room in the apartment for another bike. I don't really subscribe to the winter wheels / bike thing. I only got the wheels so I wanted to make sure they were ok

Out again with Ratoath today for 80km, nice spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

150km yesterday and 110km today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Amprodude wrote: »

Strava links to prove it?

:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just in from a sneaky lunch time spin up Cruagh road to Johnnie Foxes and back down. Stunning weather out there and loving my new prescription sunnies. Also delighted that the muc-off anti fog spray seems to work like a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

A bit of a deep clean of the bike this morning meant I just had to take it out for a 'test spin', an easy 36k with a few intervals thrown in to keep me warm. Bright and chilly day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

A sneaky lunchtime lap of the Phoneix Park on the CX bike for me and then a few ziggy-zags on a slope to finish. In the glorious Sunshine. Yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Amprodude wrote: »

The A1/2 lads in our club aren't even doing that sort of level of miles back to back so no wonder you're getting comments about the level of 'base' km you are doing from some in your club. Remember quality and not quantity counts. Have a read of some of the interviews with some leading irish riders re training that have been on sticky bottle over the past few weeks. Would open your eyes about the hours that are actually needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

50km on the turbo. Kept the cadence at 90 and the heart rate just shy of 75% of max. Is that an acceptable session to build a bit more endurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

50km on the turbo. Kept the cadence at 90 and the heart rate just shy of 75% of max. Is that an acceptable session to build a bit more endurance?

Time matters more than the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Took about 90 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

wow, that's long time on the turbo. Everyone to their own.
    I usually do 45min - 1h max and fallow one of endless videos on the youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Baby steps... If anyone is following the off-topic thread you'll know about my back.

Long story short if you don't know.

Last Friday I ended up in hospital after putting my back out that morning, got four injections for pain and sent home with the instructions that at best I might be able to walk to my garden gate for a week.

Monday I got four more injections and physio started on Tuesday.

Last night I went on the longest walk in a week, and ended up jogging a kilometer :)

Took the hybrid out today, I'm not using the road bike for awhile.. Only done three kilometers!!!.. Home, stretches and a hotwater bottle on my back.. I'm delighted :)

Good news is today I'm pain meds free and back in the saddle :D

(sorry its not more interesting that than)
    I never thought a back injury like mine could be so debilitating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

90k for me today over to Howth, damp and chilly day for it, but brightened up as the day went on. Slog home into a headwind took it out of me (needed a 3 egg omelette to recover!). had a 'daw' moment when I was putting on my overshoes, right one went on, then (thinking about drinks/food to bring), the other cover went on over the right one (again). Noticed it before I got out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Baby steps... If anyone is following the off-topic thread you'll know about my back.

Last Friday I ended up in hospital after putting my back out that morning, got four injections for pain and sent home with the instructions that at best I might be able to walk to my garden gate for a week.

Last night I went on the longest walk in a week, and ended up jogging a kilometer :)

Took the hybrid out today, I'm not using the road bike for awhile.. Only done three kilometers!!!.. Home, stretches and a hotwater bottle on my back.. I'm delighted :)

Again, strava links to prove it.. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Are you sure you're not hallucinating from the pain meds?...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lol, feckers 3km (I'm old)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

40km out by dunsany, kilmessan, bective, trim and home. Headwind out but weather was great

Check out my 40.8 km Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/238374455

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

here's a small clip of mine :D no idea what this clown is up to!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First time in ages doing a proper spin. Love the new bike. Think I may need to tune the Di2 but that doesn't look hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Yesterday, our group ride conquered the 100km and 150km Strava Gran Fondos and a number of us upped the pace about 30km from home. There being plenty of wind made it a good workout.

https://www.strava.com/activities/238677522

Summary:
    151km @ 29kph in 5hrs12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement