Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

PS Irish rail have been fairly decent to deal with as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

50odd k with a few guys from the club! flipping windy out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

godtabh wrote: »
    First time in ages doing a proper spin. Love the new bike. Think I may need to tune the Di2 but that doesn't look hard

One of the benefits of Di2 is you can "index" the gears while cycling. Hold in the button on the junction box for a few seconds until a red light comes on and the gear buttons now move the rear deraileur in small increments. Same direction as changing gears. When happy, press the button on the junction box again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

One of the benefits of Di2 is you can "index" the gears while cycling. Hold in the button on the junction box for a few seconds until a red light comes on and the gear buttons now move the rear deraileur in small increments. Same direction as changing gears. When happy, press the button on the junction box again.

I really can't wait for the bike to work to come around again. 3.5 more years!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Will have to look at the indexing later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Head wind made today a big leg burner especially solo, but that's all good at this time of year

Oh and the hailstones were nice

Another 50km under the belt,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Yeah, wind and hailstones!! and in the middles of it all my lace decides to fray and get caught around my pedal. I left this morning with a normal length lace I returned home with one about 4 inches. And a bout a mile long of thread wrapped around the pedal which I have to go down and cut off later. I need my bicycle and my shoes tomorrow early but I'm too tired atm to do it. Will sort it later :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

50km of Naul's finest hills, brief snow flurry, that aside clear and sunny for the most part if a bit nippy.

Inquitus wrote: »
    50km of Naul's finest hills, brief snow flurry, that aside clear and sunny for the most part if a bit nippy.

What's the best way for me to track my distances/times and I'd love a camera!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

bjork wrote: »
    What's the best way for me to track my distances/times and I'd love a camera!!?

Strava would be the most popular, you can get it as an app for your android/iphone, then just use the camera on your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

First trip of 2015 on the trails today. Trees brought lovely cover from that bitter wind. Fair play to you roadies dealing with that, mind you slight issue of a right slog in the mud to deal with on the MTB!

rizzodun wrote: »
    Strava would be the most popular, you can get it as an app for your android/iphone, then just use the camera on your phone.

Perfect, Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I hadn't much time available today but I managed to get a 30km spin out the Nangor Road to Newcastle, Rathcoole, Saggart and home on the Tallaght Bypass.

The wind was strong. I was sub 20km/h at times. When I turned left at Newcastle the wind was more or less behind me. I flew back on the Tallaght Bypass.

31km, 145m @ 23.4km/h.

I've more time available tomorrow but the wind will be similar to today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

42kms this morning Greystones to Killiney and back. Very windy in places but overall not too bad.

Did 105km spin with Shannonside club in Athlone. Savage winds in places. Averaged over 30km/h. Group rides are so much more fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Did Naas - Blessington - Baltinglass and back. Ended up doing a few extra k thanks to my wonderful eyesight! Windy enough on the way down. Seen a good few groups out.

96k - 21.8 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Did a 50k loop of

Tallaght manor kilbride sallysgap stocking lane tallaght

Bit rough with that wind ,felt like 100 k on the legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Really blustery out here today. Headed straight into the wind for an hour, made just under 24 km and was in the red zone for a lot of it. The gusts were there worst, if it was a sustained wind I think I'd handle it better but there were times when it was like hitting a ramp, speed dropped from high 20s to teens in a second. I suppose it's no harm, it's so flat here that the headwind was hill training for me. Got caught in a dirty cold shower too so just turned and headed back. Made better time on the return leg but my 2 knees are a bit tender from mashing on the outward leg. I've a bit to go yet before I get back to where I'd like to be.
    Longwood - Kinnegad - Milltownpass and back.
    47.3k in 1:45 @ 27 kmph
    https://www.strava.com/activities/239644038

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Ryath

godtabh wrote: »
    Did 105km spin with Shannonside club in Athlone. Savage winds in places. Averaged over 30km/h. Group rides are so much more fun

Was wondering what spin you were getting the train down to Athlone to do. Few strong lads in the club who don't mind sitting on the front into the wind and keeping the pace high. Was there many out? Hopefully see you another week, need to start dragging myself back over for the Sunday spins if work ever settles down and I can start training properly again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

30k at 20.7Km/h, just under 90 minutes. Home to Rathfarnham up Militiary Road and down Cruagh side to home. Probably a little ambitious after a 12 hour night shift and only 4 hours sleep, had to stop a couple of times on the way up. :( Will give it a lash on a full nights sleep next time.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Was wondering what spin you were getting the train down to Athlone to do. Few strong lads in the club who don't mind sitting on the front into the wind and keeping the pace high. Was there many out? Hopefully see you another week, need to start dragging myself back over for the Sunday spins if work ever settles down and I can start training properly again.

There was at Least 20 I'd say. A few lads attacking on the way back was fun! A group of us did up and unders to catch them. Doing speeds of mid 40km/h for 20 mins. Was fun even though I just wanted to do a base spin!

My wife's cousin is in the club. He asked me to come along. I'm sure I'll be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Wind!!!
    headwind all the way from Leixlip to, dunboyne, summerhill, Enfield, very hard going
    then practically sailed home on N4 from Enfield to leixlip, about ~70Km in 2 1/2 hrs, (waiting on a deal for the garmin 810 for exact data)
    got off the bike in enfield for 5mins (which i normally dont do, when i got back on terrible cramp/pain very top of thigh at the back joining my bum) anyway got home but had to get out of the saddle 2-3 times , any1 know what this might be (bad saddle , bad chamois position ??)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Spent the night in Castle Leslie celebrating Mrs Rushfan ' s birthday. Drove back as far as Ardee, cycled from there to Swords via the N2. 62km of constant headwind wasn't much fun. Felt like I did well over 70km.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

First non-commute spin in about 6 weeks (lay off due to Physio, Christmas, alcohol poisoning, ice and a dose of year end laziness)
    Did a 32k spin out to Howth (I'd forgotten how good the coffees in the Panorama are) Lovely time heading out with the wind at my heels. Bit of a struggle coming back via sea front with the head wind but I enjoyed it in a perverse kinda way.

The road to the WW200 starts here!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Did a nice 50K loop around Enniskerry this morning

Noticed a good few lads with just shorts and top/jacket, how do you do it? I was freezing with my thermal bib tights on, basel layer, long sleeve jersery and gilet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm new to road cycling, been out maybe 10-15 times at most, all since September. Went out today and was genuinely scared at times. Serious gusts nearly knocked me over a few times. Terenure up to Cruagh, past foxes over to Kilternan, down to Sandyford, Blackrock and home. Was glad to get off the stretch up before Foxes. After which I punctured, first time, happy to manage to replace tube and get going again, was cold while stopped. Not bad after a boozy night last night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I'm new to road cycling, been out maybe 10-15 times at most, all since September. Went out today and was genuinely scared at times. Serious gusts nearly knocked me over a few times. Terenure up to Cruagh, past foxes over to Kilternan, down to Sandyford, Blackrock and home. Was glad to get off the stretch up before Foxes. After which I punctured, first time, happy to manage to replace tube and get going again, was cold while stopped. Not bad after a boozy night last night!!

Well done keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Week two of the Galway cycle training. Handy enough 25km. Tacked on another 15 to bring me up to 40km. Happy with the effort and kept the cadence high so that was good. I felt very strong in the saddle today if that makes any sense. The wind was blowing something fierce but I felt like I powered through it. Best I've ever felt on a 40km cycle. The turbo training during the week is starting to pay off now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazermc wrote: »
    ...Noticed a good few lads with just shorts and top/jacket, how do you do it? I was freezing with my thermal bib tights on, basel layer, long sleeve jersery and gilet!
    Dozens of lads in the National CX Championships today had just shorts and short sleeve jerseys and no gloves. It was bitterly cold. Coming off into cold wet mud can't have been much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The man getting killed on my planned route yesterday put me off, not sure why, but been out on my own with the wind I did chicken it. Have an interview tomorrow so I had a 2.5 hour training video to look at, clocked up 74km on the turbo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement