Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Went for my first spin on the new bike this morning. Only did 19.3km but at least it's a starting point after not cycling for 2-3 years. The wind was difficult and my legs were tired but with all that aside I'm more concerned about finding a doughnut ring to sit on :o

19.3Km, 103 m, 24.7Km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I set out this morning in that God forsaken wind. I struggled out the Tallaght Bypass - I was down to 15km/h at times. The first 10km took 10 mins longer than usual. I plugged on up the Embankment. At Brittas I decided to continue on the N81 into the wind to get the torture done an dusted by Blessington. Just after Brittas, a guy passed me and signalled his intention that we take turns. We took our turns at the front and ground on to Blessington at 22/23kmh. It probably didn't make a difference to our speed but gave me something else to concentrate on other than the near gale coming down our throats. We didn't speak one word as we drove on. We both put in a decent effort - our unspoken common goal.

Just after the Maxol in Blessington, I pulled along side to let him know that I'd be going left and heading back to Dublin via Manor Kilbride. We chatted for a small bit and stopped for a drink and a banana. It turns out that this guy was 72 years old. Chapeau.

I'm 28 years younger but I sincerely hope that at 72 I can put in even half his effort.

52km, 325m @ 23.6km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Week two of the Galway cycle training. Handy enough 25km. Tacked on another 15 to bring me up to 40km. Happy with the effort and kept the cadence high so that was good. I felt very strong in the saddle today if that makes any sense. The wind was blowing something fierce but I felt like I powered through it. Best I've ever felt on a 40km cycle. The turbo training during the week is starting to pay off now.
    I was out on that this morning myself. Couple of boardsies in the group. Come and say hello next week. I'll be in the boards jacket and tights again. Enjoyable spin this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

A handy enough weekend of cycling I did the Galway cycle training from Maynooth yesterday and today which was 25km each day , with a few extra km to and from Leixlip , most weekends a few of us usually head off after it and do a hard enough spin , usually up around saggart / kilteel for a few hills , but yesterday a couple of us went out with a few of the girls who are training for a 8 person team entering the race around ireland , so that was another 38km .
    Today I had to head home straight after the galway cycle training to do family stuff so overall a handy weekend .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Hellish cycle into work this morning. Into the wind the whole way and driving rain. It took me 30 minutes more than normal!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hellish cycle into work this morning. Into the wind the whole way and driving rain. It took me 30 minutes more than normal!

30mins less on the way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I would give anything to be able to cycle to work. Enjoy it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

dancrowley wrote: »
    I would give anything to be able to cycle to work. Enjoy it! :)

My wife is always at me to take the car when the weather is bad.
    She just doesn't understand :)
    Averaged only 19 kph into work today all into head wind and never once wished i was in the car.
    Possibly sleet/snow over the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

36k local loop for me, had intended on an interval type spin, but with the wind the whole spin was one big interval. twas nice for the downwind and side wind sections of the route, but into the wind the stem never tasted so good. makes you stronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

did the Intro to Audax Ireland with Paul here yesterday. A flat and windy 100+K from Finglas > Garristown > Ardcath >Duleek > Bellewstown > Stamullen > Oldtown > Home.

Left at 9 and got back at around 1:30ish

Very enjoyable, good company and advice.. Looking forward to the longer spins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Had my first spin out with newly joind club on Sunday. We did around 70km at ave 24.5kph.
    Absolutely loved it, was made feel very welcome and brilliantly looked after by our G4 captain.
    Totally new experience cycling in a group after 2 years out on my own and did require a bit more concentration watching the wheel in front.
    However was amazed at the less effort required when in a group, not to mention the criac.
    Looking forward to next weekend's spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Zyzz wrote: »
    Wind.

Lots of wind.

The only reason or argument I have with myself is that there will be days coming when getting on the bike will be impossible. Snow/Ice.

Fairplay to anyone heading out,what with the recent winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Lots of wind.

The only reason or argument I have with myself is that there will be days coming when getting on the bike will be impossible. Snow/Ice.

Fairplay to anyone heading out,what with the recent winds.

Any sign of that white or icy stuff on de roads this week and my noble steed will be parked up firmly in the stable :eek: while it's owner has his feet up with a coffee, watching re-runs of the Tour de France :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

lismore7 wrote: »
    Any sign of that white or icy stuff on de roads this week and my noble steed will be parked up firmly in the stable :eek: while it's owner has his feet up with a coffee, watching re-runs of the Tour de France :D

At this time of year each day is a day closer to better weather. Roll on longer evenings and nicer weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

A few laps of Howth with two cake stops. The first was so nice I wanted to ask for seconds, but nipped over to another cafe instead of looking greedy. 80km, 1180 m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

crosstownk wrote: »
    At this time of year each day is a day closer to better weather. Roll on longer evenings and nicer weather!

We'll have to go through some pretty nasty stuff before then, starting tomorrow afternoon. Be careful out there all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

50 km on the turbo. Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Been heading from Glasnevin to Belfield the last few days and generally getting there in about 25mins. Unfortunately I had to bring the car this morning as I was heading down the country later. Took 75mins much of it stuck on Wexford/Camden Streets. Despite the extra time and cost, it was great to be reminded again of just how much better a bike is for commuting in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I've been on the Turbo for the past few weeks.

I'm following one of the Strava Training Plans, the 15 Minute Climb.
    Today was the first day of Intervals I hit my targets (as they said that the power would trail off in the last two intervals).

https://www.strava.com/activities/240879480

• Advertisement

The turbo training during the week is starting to pay off now.

I've noticed that I'm much stronger on the Road after the turbo work I've been doing over the last 1.5 months.
    It's really nice being able to cycle in this harsh climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

the turbo work I've been doing over the last 1.5 months.
    It's really nice being able to cycle in this harsh climate.

Wimp list this way
    > :P

This is harsh climate:
    http://toonecycling.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/img_0238.jpg
    http://isolatecyclist.bostonbiker.org/files/2012/01/Frozen-Bike.jpg

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'll stick the turbo in the garden. Thus avoiding wimp list.

I open a window ...slightly... on the Balcony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Did about 40km today commuting around Dublin with two full panniers and a heavy handlebar bag, all in some pretty nasty conditions. Ice, wind, rain and sleet, and home in the dark. Apart from some silly traffic maneuvers, it was actually pretty enjoyable. Picked up a nice beer in Redmonds on the way home, which was definitely one of my better ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did 30km today after work, wind was ferocious but got on with it. Got a second place trophy and a pr

On the way home had some douche stop at a junction with nothing in front of him and start letting other traffic out as I'm coming to the junction, had to lash on the anchors and read him the riot act that's a real pet hate of mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Borderfox wrote: »
    On the way home had some douche stop at a junction with nothing in front of him and start letting other traffic out as I'm coming to the junction, had to lash on the anchors and read him the riot act that's a real pet hate of mine
    Had he just passed you and then suddenly stopped when he should have kept going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Bought a pair those bargain Planet X Schwalbe Snow/Ice tyres over Xmas. Put them on yesterday, which was no easy task. Suffered one blowout doing the first one :o

Decided to break them in with the recommended 40 km by doing a couple of commutes. I was a bit nervous because due to the blow out I had no spare tube :/

Then on their first go...

:(

Could have been worse though, a lot worse. I can deal with "walking wounded", even if my left side is now killing me.

For the record, I ALWAYS cycle that roundabout with my right arm fully extended until I get to my exit and I have flashing armbands on each arm.

Regardless, hiding this from the missus will be interesting. I'm going for the line that one of those "kissing" gates hit me hard, due to the high winds.

Interesting thing I learnt though, Ambulances are quite small on the inside. Like anti-tardis' yokes. And they freak me out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I feel your pain unknown soldier, those west Dublin roundabouts are lethal, particularly at this time of year. You need to eyeball them to make sure they see you even though you have the right of way - especially commercial vehicles and taxis.

Hope the ribs are OK, get well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Jesus he was going some speed into that roundabout, what a c*ck.

Speedy recovery to you Soldier! :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement