Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ouch!!! Hope you're OK.

Regardless, hiding this from the missus will be interesting. I'm going for the line that one of those "kissing" gates hit me hard, due to the high winds.

Feck that, tell her, show her the video, you might get "sympathy" and permission for new bike stuff to make you safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Then on their first go...

:(

Could have been worse though, a lot worse. I can deal with "walking wounded", even if my left side is now killing me.

For the record, I ALWAYS cycle that roundabout with my right arm fully extended until I get to my exit and I have flashing armbands on each arm.

Regardless, hiding this from the missus will be interesting. I'm going for the line that one of those "kissing" gates hit me hard, due to the high winds.

Interesting thing I learnt though, Ambulances are quite small on the inside. Like anti-tardis' yokes. And they freak me out too.

Ouch, hope you're OK, and I presume the driver fessed up?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Picked up a set of ice tyres from quozi over the week, so was itching to find some ice to try them out on. Put the tyres on the hybrid this morning and took a spin up as far as the featherbeds which was pretty much ice free, so decided to take one of the off road tracks covered in frozen puddles. Great craic, as many of them were frozen solid which the bike skated over gracefully, and others gave way with a sploosh necessitating some mad peddling to escape. Ok, so maybe I'm easily amused, but I grinned my way through this, even though it was colder than a snowman's cold bits up there today. My usual tardy pace became extra tardy today with the heavy hybrid, and descending on a flat bar knobbly wheeled bike feels a bit weird, but great to know I now have options to get out in any weather. A couple of pics here.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Got out on my second ride on the bike today.

Twas a bit chilly and having my right calf seized up didn't help but I powered on through.

If cycling is this enjoyable in this weather I can't wait for the summer :)

Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a turbo trainer sooner than I thought though as work is still busy.

27.4km, 105m, 26.2 km/h

DMW22 wrote: »
    Got out on my second ride on the bike today.

Twas a bit chilly and having my right calf seized up didn't help but I powered on through.

If cycling is this enjoyable in this weather I can't wait for the summer :)

Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a turbo trainer sooner than I thought though as work is still busy.

27.4km, 105m, 26.2 km/h

I find the turbo great midweek and a really tough workout, but its no substitute for the head space you get by heading for the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi Folks,

Didn't think I was going to get out when I saw the frost this morning. But got out this afternoon, have the road bike almost a month, but today felt like the first time I managed to give it everything I had! Lots of room for improvement, but I emptyed my tank! 35.7km/85m @ 26 km/h

A tired, but quietly thrilled,

Paddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I decided to head out and try and meet up with some members of the club for a later 11am spin. Dodgy roads meant I was late and there was nobody at the shop. Headed for Howth and gradually met up with a few members as I went round.

5 laps and 116km later I'm tired but glad to have got some miles in ahead of the cold snap. A lovely sunny day in Howth with plenty on the bike including Oscar/Mario/Vlad doing some big ring power training. I did a double take as I didn't recognise him at first - he's looking super fit and strong.:)

Oh, and that head wind all the way home.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

went out at 2.10pm back at 4.10 pm
    55km in 2 hrs incl some hilly stuff (see my post on Boston Hill!!)
    great day for a cycle with my newly fitted stem, think i'll keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Galway Cycle training cancelled this morning due to ice so went out this afternoon myself. Left it a little late and ice started to form on the main roads so I cut out captain's hill and back roads behind Leixlip and headed straight back to Maynooth up the Dublin Road. Set some pbs en route which I'm happy with including the town to garda station hill. 27km spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Mad going out on icy weather. I planned to go for two spins over weekend but the roads were way too dodgy. If it was bad for a car it would be a way worse for a road bike :-)

• Advertisement

35km done today, viewpoint to glencullen and home. Route was fairly clear but I brought my cyclocross bike just in case. Great to get out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

I went out this morning in the car to see what the roads were like, they were thawing fairly quick so at half 1 I decided to head out.

It was a beautiful day to be out and would have loved to have gone further but my legs aren't up to it yet, hopefully in a few more weeks I'll be adding on kms :)

37.1km, 150m, 25.4km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

For the record, I ALWAYS cycle that roundabout with my right arm fully extended until I get to my exit and I have flashing armbands on each arm.

I approach this roundabout in the same manner. It's a difficult roundabout whether cycling or driving and it wasn't cool the way that driver approached it. This irks me, I do that same manoeuvre frequently.

Decided on doing a big spin today (big for me anyway) needed to put up a few miles. Headed off at noon, the roads weren't too bad at that stage.
    Longwood - Trim - Athboy - Kells - Kilskyre - and then the first cramp. Got straightened out and did a uturn. Back to kells, another cramp, then two minor ones between that and Athboy, another one about 5 k past that and a right dirty one in Ballivor, quad and hamstring went within a few seconds of each other. Second time that's happened, not fücking nice. That left me with a constant niggling twinge all the way back to Longwood. No bonk which was a good thing, usually if I get cramps the bonk follows. Legs are grand now though. Must get more fluids and salts into me in future.
    93.1 km in 3:42:31 @ 25.1 kmh.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/242781105

Edit- would the cold be a factor in getting the cramps? I was well wrapped up but is was hovering around 2-3 degrees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Glad to get a 30k spin today after what felt like a chest infection..

Felt drained after 10k but then got the lungs open and felt fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Edit- would the cold be a factor in getting the cramps? I was well wrapped up but is was hovering around 2-3 degrees

Cpuld be a number of things. How's your bike set up? Might be over extending the legs and stretching the hamstrings,

Could also be dehydration good to sip regularly on something - water or pop in a hi5 tab to replace lost salts. You'll nearly dehydrated easier in the winter.

Also no harm doing a few stretches before and after the spin.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Cpuld be a number of things. How's your bike set up? Might be over extending the legs and stretching the hamstrings,

Could also be dehydration good to sip regularly on something - water or pop in a hi5 tab to replace lost salts. You'll nearly dehydrated easier in the winter.

Also no harm doing a few stretches before and after the spin.

I'd say it's probably a combination of some of the above coupled with not being as fit as I wish I was. No point trying to do 100s at a decent pace when I've only been doing about half that for the last 2 months. I'll get there.... Eventually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Would avoid stretching before a spin unless you're doing something to warm your muscles up for about 10 minutes first, you'll do more harm than good.

Definitely foam roller and stretch afterwards though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Went out for a few laps of Howth today. 57k with 700m climbing.

Absolutely beautiful day, barely a drop of wind. Pretty dam cold though, the toes are just warming back up!

https://www.strava.com/activities/243199374/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bloody cold commute this morning, no ice which was a relief. Did see 6+ cars red light jumping, and im not talking amber gamblers, we're talking complete red light jumpers. And also a lovely Taxi man who politely ( :rolleyes: ) asked me to get out of his bus lane...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

First cycle for over a week due to work, happy with the spin but I think my speed censor might be having an issue?

KqhpQW8gziB8Naj3GJdCf0flczTuGeF5I3bAZDotiVa7=w760-h64-no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The_Sub wrote: »
    First cycle for over a week due to work, happy with the spin but I think my speed censor might be having an issue?

KqhpQW8gziB8Naj3GJdCf0flczTuGeF5I3bAZDotiVa7=w760-h64-no

Jebus - that must have been some downhill :pac:

Headwinds, hills and an utterly freezing descent down stocking lane.

Tried the tinfoil in the shoes today and that worked nicely.

37k with 677m climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/243630035

Lunch time spin Ballyboden, Burrow road, Foxes, Cruagh and home. 23k covered in an hour, in really fantastic winter weather. Would have stayed out all day given half a chance, had to get back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Turbo hill interval training. Posted from my living room floor where I will be lying for the next half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

Turbo hill interval training. Posted from my living room floor where I will be lying for the next half hour.
    I used the turbo for the first time last night, glad it was out in the shed as I wouldn't fancy mopping the floor after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

bought my turbo on sunday, havent taken it out of the box yet. might give it a bash this evening. as for lying on the sitting room floor, donekyoatey0099, what position did you find worked for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Chilly 60k round well trodden roads. Ratoath. Kilcock. Dunshaughlin last 5k limped home as ran out of energy or determination. Either way Im blaming the half bowl of shreddies which is not a cycling brekky

• Advertisement

Glorious day out. Took full advantage and tried out kilmashogue lane for the first time. Bloody tough!

Went up cruagh and down by glencree over to enniskerry and back via dundrum after that. 54k with 968m climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/244517806

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement