Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Tried the tinfoil in the shoes today and that worked nicely....
    I heard one of the lads saying he had used tin foil on the club ride this morning. Excuse my ignorance but is it placed inside the shoe or between the shoe and overshoe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've tried to wrap the front of my foot in tinfoil, outside the sock, inside the shoe. Neoprene toe cover outside the shoe.

Didn't notice any difference to toe covers used on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

I heard one of the lads saying he had used tin foil on the club ride this morning. Excuse my ignorance but is it placed inside the shoe or between the shoe and overshoe?

I went with tinfoil around the feet, then thermal socks. Next time I'd go socks then tinfoil. It got a bit irritable with the skin on one foot and also was incredibly messy when the shoes and socks came off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Planned on going out and doing about 40 km. Got a bit of time away from the kids while on 2 days holidays. Unfortunately crashed within the first km attempting strava segment. Front end went from under me in a bend. Roads were a bit greasy for the speed I was taking the corner but I have no confidence in the tyres I had on for the future in the wet. See bottle tower segment for sudden drop in speed. Ended up only doing about 20 km and came home to dress the wounds. Ouch 2mro I think
    https://www.strava.com/activities/244519015

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Ok so it was yesterday, not today!

But met a car in the bus lane, only the car was driving the wrong way. Saw the car from a good distance away, as a taxi approached it the driver pulled in tight to the kerb, switched on hazards and stopped. Once the taxi cleared the car, the hazards went off and the car sped up to about 60 km, coming right at me. Quick glance over my shoulder before pulling out to avoid the car, but there was a truck and bus coming up behind me. The car stopped, waiting for me to go past. As I passed, the driver shouted out the window, "sorry, I just live around the corner, cant wait for the lights to change".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Didn't get many km in this week, but covered a brief 32km today to make up for it. Knocklyon - Dun Laoghare - Dundrum - Tempelogue was the general route before having to drop the bike in overnight for yet another service - new headset this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

nice day for a spin today
    got out at 1440
    leixlip, n4, chapelizod, parkgate st, 2 laps of the park, strawberry beds, barnhill crossroads, confey GAA, around about carton house, maynooth back to leixlip
    ~54km 110 mins ~29km/hr
    waiting for delivery of Garmin 810

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

devonp wrote: »
    nice day for a spin today
    got out at 1440
    leixlip, n4, chapelizod, parkgate st, 2 laps of the park, strawberry beds, barnhill crossroads, confey GAA, around about carton house, maynooth back to leixlip
    ~54km 110 mins ~29km/hr
    waiting for delivery of Garmin 810

nice route must try it out, sounds the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Cork - Inishannon - Ballinspittle - old head - Kinsale - Carrigaline - Cork.
    Temp 6 degrees. 88 Kms done.Great workout for the legs, Fabulous day on the bike.
    Stunning scenery around Kinsale in the winter sun. Sorry i didn't have a camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

On the head and it stops strava spying on you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Decided to take the hybrid out for a jaunt on the royal canal today, which seemed largely to be a slog through mud, grass, and the unforgiving tree roots around deep sinking. 4 hours for a measly 60k, and reckon I'll give that section a miss until its either much drier or I get a mountain bike. To be fair, it is signposted as unsuitable for bikes, and given the number of skids and slides I had today I can understand why. A couple of shots here.

i haven't sorted out a good pair of overshoes yet, so i wrap a piece of the foil around my toes outside my socks, it certainly helps...
    but when i get the garmin i'll disable live tracking!!!

-SmacI
    Decided to take the hybrid out for a jaunt on the royal canal today, which seemed largely to be a slog through mud, grass, and the unforgiving tree roots around deep sinking. 4 hours for a measly 60k, and reckon I'll give that section a miss until its either much drier or I get a mountain bike. To be fair, it is signposted as unsuitable for bikes, and given the number of skids and slides I had today I can understand why. A couple of shots here.

i commute this route summer/autumn, are those signs new? never noticed em b4, last commute prob Oct '14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Out through the park and then back roads to near Maynooth before heading up to Summerhill. Most of the signposts around there seem to have been rotated and the Garmin didn't recognise a lot of the minor roads. There's a bloody big transmission mast around there but I can't imagine that affecting the maps. Eventually ended up on the main Trim road and headed back home via Clonee and Finglas. Was getting dark and cold by then but the BBB heavy overshoes and winter gloves both worked well. 87k in a bit less than three and a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

First spin in over three months. Struggled to cover 23km in an hour.
    I don't think it was a great idea signing up to a 100km charity event in March.
    A lot of work to do between this and then. I might have left it too late to be ready but we
    will see.

The Angel of Mons was postponed due to frost on the east coast so I went for a relaxed 160k wander around Dublin/Louth/Meath following some of the Audax route.

Late start to avoid ice meant that I had to spend a few hours on unlit back roads. An enjoyable day in the saddle (except for the bloody dogs!).

https://app.strava.com/activities/245487789

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The Angel of Mons was postponed due to frost on the east coast so I went for a relaxed 160k wander around Dublin/Louth/Meath following some of the Audax route.

Late start to avoid ice meant that I had to spend a few hours on unlit back roads. An enjoyable day in the saddle (except for the bloody dogs!).

Not doing it next week ?

Not doing it next week ?
    Not 100% sure yet. Might have to pull a few strings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

How were the roads in the end. Would it have been too dangerous to go ahead.

I was looking forward to my first Audax. Will have to wait until next week.

Went out for a 125k spin to burn all the carbs i loaded up on yesterday in preparation :D.
    Went Dublin, Blessington and around the backroads in Kildare. Turned out to be a beautiful day in the end.

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

I got a bike fit done today. Turned out that my saddle was just a little to low and that my right leg is ever so slightly shorter than my left.

I managed to get back in time for my first ride out with the club. I was a bit apprehensive as I never cycled as part of a group before but after sitting at the back of the group for a while to get used to being in close quarters to other cyclists and learning the lingo, I even had a go at the front :)

Cycling as part of a group really makes the Km's roll by. Can't wait to get out again.

51.7km, 160m, 25km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 rayquinn1

Was gonna be my first Audax as well. The right call was made anyway.
    Managed to squeeze in a flattish 80km club spin after the roads cleared. Hopefully the frost will stay away for next Saturday

How were the roads in the end. Would it have been too dangerous to go ahead...
    I didn't leave until 11am and was very cautious on the back roads for the first hour or so but they were fine by that time. (I'm a bit over cautious anyway having had a few spills on black ice). I'd say it would have been very dodgy pre 10am.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Machine

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

devonp wrote: »
    -SmacI

i commute this route summer/autumn, are those signs new? never noticed em b4, last commute prob Oct '14

Fair play for including this on a commute, I was pretty nervous on bits of it, and wouldn't fancy it at all in the rain. There are a couple of spots where the bank has collapsed and you need to pick your line very carefully. No bother to a regular MTBer, but I found it challenging enough. No idea when the signs arrived as it was my first time on this route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A pleasant little spin this morning. Dry and mild so decent day for it

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Friday morning race, this past weekend. Lovely morning, with less wind than the last time we raced this course (30kph headwinds are NOT fun!). Awful cramps in both calves toward the end scuppered any thoughts/desires i had of a top-5 finish. Happy with the ride, though!

https://www.strava.com/activities/244832198

Summary
    46.8km in 1hr 21min 26s at 34.5km/h

*started the Garmin about 1km into the race... d'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

first time out this year feeling it now, Spin down to Baltinglass and back all along the N81.

120 in 5hours @23.4km Needs improvement but happy enough to be able to cover the distance this time of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

First hill repeat session of the year today. 5 times up Ardgillan. Slow, steady and painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Dublin to tullamore. Had the forecast so knew the headwind was going to be a killer. Garmin played up as well so my preloaded course wasn't being picked up - few detours on the way.

Dublin - maynooth - kilcock - edenderry - daingain - tullamore. 95km in 3:50 at 25 km/hr - was hoping for a better average but headwind all the way killed me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Galway training cycle. 40 km plus 20 of my own brings me to a respectable 60 km for the day. Was pretty windy on the way home, but felt great on the bike. Average speed is up too. The turbo during the week is the business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement