Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

68k today
    Tallaght lucan dunboyne around a few back roads I'd never been before maynooth celbridge and back to tallaght . Nice day for a cycle, temperature getting better hopefully spring weather gets here soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I made the most of today's sub tropical 10 degrees. It was great to get a longer spin done without my feet turning into blocks of ice. It was a bit windy which slowed things down on the way out.

80km, 550m @ 24.1km/h around the Blessington Lakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

40Km today 90mins
    headwind for 1/2 of it but as others have said feet weren't blocks of ice, duct taped the sole vents and tin foil around the toes....i really should get some overshoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Did the galway cycle training in maynooth today , and when cycling home I got a blow out on my rear wheel between maynooth and leixlip , tyre destroyed , only had put about 600km on them too , the better half wasn't too impressed with me ringing for a lift home , when I got home I checked the tyre and removed a lot of glass from front and rear tyres , I usually do this once a fortnight , was very surprised how much I removed today

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

First decent-ish spin of the year today - Rathmines-Killiney-Roundwoood & back..Was hoping to reach 100k to satisfy my inner Strava nerd but had to settle for 85k in the end with 1000m climbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got out this morning with a friend.
    Shortly into the ride, the local club (i'm not a member) came up behind us and asked if we'd like to join them, so we kindly accepted the offer
    Had a great 80km spin and think I'll join the club now!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Nice day for a spin, a bit blustery but warm and no rain. Longwood - Kinnegad - Coralstown, then the canal path into Mullingar. Give my luck I was expecting a puncture or possibly even fall into the canal but thankfully no dramas today. Then headed up to the car park by the lake and turned for home via the N4.
    80.7 km in 3:05:50 @26.1 kmph

https://www.strava.com/activities/245894241

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Furthest spin of 2015 so far - 71.5km. Left a bit too late in the day though [3:20pm] and was already running out of daylight by the time I got to Greystones. Can only count myself lucky that I remembered to take all three lights and a bit of high-viz. Always do so for insurance.

Aside from the saddle digging into me I enjoyed today and was thankful for the balanced temperature. Route: Knocklyon - Dun Laoghaire - Greystones - back towards Cabinteely - Stillorgan - Rathfarnham - Knocklyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Out last night on the sauce in town, parked the car up at my dad's..

Dunboyne into town, cup of tea, wheels off and bike in back of car and home..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

First spin after a bout of the flu

https://www.strava.com/activities/246001216

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Windy as hell, dirty side wind all from Westport. I'm doing the Tour of Sufferlandria as well so I had 80km done on Friday and Saturday, so went on the road yesterday with the club for my first Sunday spin with them in over 2 years. Clicked up 70km. A lot of newbies to group cycling so had some mentoring to do :D Took 6 PR's on Strava with the wind :D
    From now until Sunday next I've 9 or 10 hours on the turbo to do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Positively balmy out there this morning.

Threw in a detour to catch a few hills on the way in this morning, lovely day out there, seems a pity to be stuck in the office looking at 3 rock...(not going to go on the hop...I swear)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Was more last night, but first time back on the road bike in ages. Decided to go out for an hour or so. Before setting off I said to herself to wish me luck with not getting punctured, well I was only out a half hour and the dreaded glass soon put a stop to things. Headed out towards Lucan and was coming back in the Palmerstown direction and him what must have been the top of a beer bottle or something along those lines, Gaterskin Tyre ballsed tube ripped to peaces and me at the side of the road effing and blinding like mad..

I really don't know what's with Irish people, but we (or some wa*kers) just like to smash glass and are generally just dirty. This isn't the first time I have had the same luck, and to be honest I'm finding it more and more off putting. Anyway rant over :-) I'll try my luck again when I get a new rear tyre and spare tubes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Was more last night, but first time back on the road bike in ages. Decided to go out for an hour or so. Before setting off I said to herself to wish me luck with not getting punctured, well I was only out a half hour and the dreaded glass soon put a stop to things. Headed out towards Lucan and was coming back in the Palmerstown direction and him what must have been the top of a beer bottle or something along those lines, Gaterskin Tyre ballsed tube ripped to peaces and me at the side of the road effing and blinding like mad..

I really don't know what's with Irish people, but we (or some wa*kers) just like to smash glass and are generally just dirty. This isn't the first time I have had the same luck, and to be honest I'm finding it more and more off putting. Anyway rant over :-) I'll try my luck again when I get a new rear tyre and spare tubes.

I'm sure some people also put glass in cycle lanes deliberately. Pretty annoying and it's kind of made me avoid cycling lanes as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Koobcam wrote: »
    I'm sure some people also put glass in cycle lanes deliberately. Pretty annoying and it's kind of made me avoid cycling lanes as much as possible
    It was actually in the bus lane, but I say you are right. Like I said it been a while since I have taken the Road bike out, but these situations are frustrating at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Koobcam wrote: »

Ugh... Why would people deliberately put glass in cycle lanes? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

32.1km today from Knocklyon - Walkinstown - Crumlin - stopped in DIT Bolton St for a coffee - through O'Connell Street - onto Rathgar - Tempelogue - Knocklyon. Much colder than yesterday I thought and took a fair while to warm up even after the coffee and with 2 sets of gloves on! :p

100.69km today. Cycled to work, took a 9 hour break, then cycled home a long way to crack 100. Really wanted to get a century under my belt as the weather looks wintry from Wednesday onwards.

About 21kph so not setting the world alight but it's more about distance for the legs at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Very early morning spin (5:20am)

Home > around Bohernabreena reservoirs > Ballinascorney > Seskin > Home > Work

60km total, 1024m climbing.

Descending Corbally Descent, pitch black, with city lights at the horizon below flickering through branches - this was a truly magic experience.

Felt very smooth and safe, only later I discovered the average was 48kmh :eek:

All that on studded tyres, why oh why.

http://app.strava.com/activities/246759330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

64kms this morning. Greystones to Stepaside. Up Cruagh to Glencullen. Kiltiernan back to Greystones. Slight drizzle around Cruagh but other than that, a great spin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lunch time Rathfarham - Blue light - Foxes - Cruagh spin. Only 22k @ 23kph, helped by a 65k descent on Pine forest road. Love going down that hill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

70 minutes on the turbo for the weekly endurance training. Hill training on Thursday. Already dreading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

minus 4 on the ride home this morning! Quite icy in patches so had to take it easy - just as well as I was wrecked after a full nights work (not used to it..)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Doing SufferFest - Have 3 stages done in last 3 days, 3 hours covering 87km. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Went out for a few loops of cruagh and stocking to try and box off the strava climbing challenge for January.

Went up cruagh, down stocking and was half way back up stocking when a snow blizzard hit in hard. Kept going to viewing point and by then it had got even worse.

Descended via cruagh very slowly but just got past the glencullen turn off when I had to get off and walk such was the road snow cover.

Thankfully a couple of lads on the way back from a walk stopped and gave me a lift down to the bottom. Was perfect weather again five minutes later looking back over the mountain. Just shows you how you can get caught on the hop so quickly in the hills. Thanks again to the lads if they are reading!

https://www.strava.com/activities/247320126

25 k with 690m, the climbing challenge will have to wait til tomorrow to be done and dusted!

41 kms this afternoon. Greystones to Deansgrange and back. Literally all four seasons, wind rain snow and glorious sunshine. And that was before i even got over Bray Head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Just under 50km from Newbridge to UCD this morning. I got a puncture in Tallaght, just opposite the stadium. Thing is, this is the THIRD puncture I've had in almost the same spot in the last two weeks, all in the rear wheel, but all on different wheels. What is the story? Very bad day to puncture also as I then almost froze to death-my hands still haven't fully recovered. Might stick to the indoor spin bike until this cold snap ends...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

41 kms this afternoon. Greystones to Deansgrange and back. Literally all four seasons, wind rain snow and glorious sunshine. And that was before i even got over Bray Head!
    thats a grand spin up & over wingates to get your heart rate up and running, nice on a good day, can imagine it was a biatch on a bad windy rainy/snowy day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Cycling home from work today in the snow - bitter cold and I met a fellow cyclist in his mid 50's with only one glove. Very nice and friendly.
    He was gutted the poor man. My fingers froze with 2 pairs of gloves so I don't know how he managed.
    I can't stop thinking about him, hope he got home ok.

• Advertisement

Bloggsie wrote: »
    thats a grand spin up & over wingates to get your heart rate up and running, nice on a good day, can imagine it was a biatch on a bad windy rainy/snowy day.

Actually wasn't too bad, even managed a personal best coming back over!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement