Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Out with Swords Satmorn group from Blakes X this morn. Tore out with a friend from home as was almost late and just in time. Loads of ice on road shortly before Collinstown (think thats what it's called) hill after Lusk and about 4 riders came down and God knows how I managed to stay upright. Had to bunny hop onto a fallen bike an just stayed up. Had to call an ambulance for a faller who possibly has a broken leg/hip. Hope he is ok. Turned around and came home with exceeding care. Not going out in icy conditions ever again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056837065 Jaysus lads its dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Jaysus, don't know about that! I had quite a stiff easterly breeze in my face between Baltinglass and Donard on the way back up. Besides that it was lovely weather to get out on the bike.

I met up with the senior lads from the club who were heading down to Carlow for the night. Good up and over stint between Blessington and Baltinglass. I turned round and headed home. A good 128km.

Very calm on the south coast, old head of Kinsale direction, hardly a ripple.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Very calm on the south coast, old head of Kinsale direction, hardly a ripple.:D

Same here in Donegal hardly a breeze lots of icey patches all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Plastik

Plenty of breeze on the east coast today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Plastik wrote: »
    Plenty of breeze on the east coast today.

Pretty quiet overe here, and the sun decided to show which was nice

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Went up cruagh direction with plans for the sally gap, but was warned about ice by two other riders, so headed off pine forest direction instead. Some ice but nothing serious and only ended up staying out for a couple of hours. Looks milder tomorrow but blowier, so might head out old long hill direction. Start of next week looks very stormy, here's hoping in calms down for the following weekend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Carpenter wrote: »

I had your post in mind as I steered clear of the gap earlier, so thanks for that. There's always another day, but an injury I can do without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Nice day for it, a bit windy, but nice to have the sun out, did ~46km.
    On the way back I gave the 1st part of Temple Hill a go, holy crap it's frightening how steep that hill is, I only went about 150m but it felt like I had risen to a height of 100m :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Great day for 20kms of racing cycling today at Ring Commons near Balbriggan. Shame it was sandwiched between two tough 6km runs for Fingal Tri Duathlon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

42 kms today, loop from Limerick to O'Brien's Bridge to Broadford and back to Limerick. Ice from Kilbane to Broadford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

a beautiful day in meath, i saw very little ice. dare i say i might even be a bit sunburnt.... delighted to get over 150 km solo done, my longest ride ever and my last 'landmark' before hopefully doing the Kings Mountain 200 on the 24th. I live along the route so went out and covered most of it today as a recce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Nice day in Galway and first big spin this year, just shy of 100km. Weird day as the temperature changed alot due to the cold breeze, first time I've ever gotten warmer when stopped on the side of the road as the Garming went from 8.6 to 12.0, back down to 8.6 once I got going again into the breeze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Got 72km in today. Tallaght, Rathcoole, Punchestown,Ballymore Eustace,Hollywood and back home on N81. Lovely morning for a spin into the countryside but some of the back roads around Ballymore Eustace were lethal due to ice. Thank god for Marathon plus tyres,wouldn't have made it up some climbs with the ice. Had a fair few moments where you couldn't avoid the ice and had to go over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Nice day in Galway and first big spin this year, just shy of 100km. Weird day as the temperature changed alot due to the cold breeze, first time I've ever gotten warmer when stopped on the side of the road as the Garming went from 8.6 to 12.0, back down to 8.6 once I got going again into the breeze!

Yeah I noticed the same thing. Layered up for 3 degrees of weather and I go out and it's 12 degrees! Not complaining though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Lovely spin this morning from Greystones-Rathdrum-Roundwood-Kilmac-Greystones with a bit of light crosswind occasionally, no ice anywhere on the road and saw 7 million mountain bikers cars at Ballinastoe. I thought the wind would help me on a roundabout to roundabout segment into Greystones but it stubbornly stayed crosswindy.

Brucie bonus - The find of 4 pieces of a caramel bar in a very neat white envelope on the Kilmac Bridge:D yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Peterx wrote: »
    Lovely spin this morning from Greystones-Rathdrum-Roundwood-Kilmac-Greystones with a bit of light crosswind occasionally, no ice anywhere on the road and saw 7 million mountain bikers cars at Ballinastoe. I thought the wind would help me on a roundabout to roundabout segment into Greystones but it stubbornly stayed crosswindy.

Brucie bonus - The find of 4 pieces of a caramel bar in a very neat white envelope on the Kilmac Bridge:D yummy.

That was mine! Was out for a walk with the dog and he licked my caramel bar! I just broke off the bits he licked and put them in a very neat white envelope and left them on the bridge. I now accept this was an inconsiderate thing to do - most especially knowing what he was licking before he went for the bar :eek:
    Did it taste ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Out with Swords Satmorn group from Blakes X this morn. Tore out with a friend from home as was almost late and just in time. Loads of ice on road shortly before Collinstown (think thats what it's called) hill after Lusk and about 4 riders came down and God knows how I managed to stay upright. Had to bunny hop onto a fallen bike an just stayed up. Had to call an ambulance for a faller who possibly has a broken leg/hip. Hope he is ok. Turned around and came home with exceeding care. Not going out in icy conditions ever again.
    Any news on the crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Nice tough spin today, bit of climbing and it was windy. One climb averaged 9.1% for 10 k (mostly into the head wind). all in, 130 k with 3400 metres of climbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Coming out from Lismore after 50km of a headwind and hills I hit that perfect spot where you perfectly match the speed and direction of the tailwind so you cant hear the air moving, the grass is being blown, the branches on the trees are dancing but in my bubble the wind was perfectly still, looking at the garmin tipping 50kmph on the flat, I was literally going as fast as the wind, ar nos na ngaoithe..... For that spell I loved cycling more than cream eggs.
    This is how Neo felt in that documentary about the Matrix.

A few Km's down the road I turned hard right and was back fighting the wind, cycling you are a cruel mistress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭WilkBMC

Cycled 105km and climbed 838m surprisingly windy at points.

Thats bad about the crash on the swords group cycle, hope all involved are alrite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

". . . for that moment I lived cycling more than Creme Eggs ..."

Pure priceless class.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Went for my longest cycle to date. 50km. Nothing compared to the rest of ye but I'm chuffed. Loads of hills that I thought would kill me.
    Really enjoyed it. Cycling is extremely addictive. Loving it. Going to do 60km next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

markens2 wrote: »
    Went for my longest cycle to date. 50km. Nothing compared to the rest of ye but I'm chuffed. Loads of hills that I thought would kill me.
    Really enjoyed it. Cycling is extremely addictive. Loving it. Going to do 60km next week.

Good achievement! Next step is to get Strava on your smartphone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

route66 wrote: »
    That was mine! Was out for a walk with the dog and he licked my caramel bar! I just broke off the bits he licked and put them in a very neat white envelope and left them on the bridge. I now accept this was an inconsiderate thing to do - most especially knowing what he was licking before he went for the bar :eek:
    Did it taste ok?

I'd say it was the dog's boll0cks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Was late for the club run, managed first solo 100km/1000m of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Rode home in a blizzard at 5am this morning. I've been using a LED Lenser head torch to supplement my existing lights, but found it totally useless in heavy snowfall. A bit like being in a tron/star wars type special effects film. Except with the threat of falling off a moving bike.
    I took my bike glasses off and the snow blinded me, put them on and they steamed up, so it all made for a slow ride home. Still better than waiting another hour in work and getting the first bus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I did my usual 37km spin today, Summerhill-Enfield-Kilcock-Summerhill, the wind gave me a nice push from Enfield to Kilcock but when I turned for Summerhill in Kilcock I had a 12m/s howler right in the face. Tough cycling conditions out there today.

Rode home in a blizzard at 5am this morning.
    Where were you? Monaghan or Zurich? I'm in Zurich for a night on Sat the 16th. Is there an indie disco there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Where were you? Monaghan or Zurich? I'm in Zurich for a night on Sat the 16th. Is there an indie disco there?

I'm in Zurich at the moment on night shift. I get a week off from Wednesday morning until the following Wednesday when I start 7 days of day shift, so basically I do 7 on 7 off, nights then days. It's all 12 hour shifts so I don't get out much (at all) here, just the odd social with the lads I work with in the flat (bottle of Greenore or a few beers).

I can ask around if anyone knows of a good place to go for you

• Advertisement

(bottle of Greenore or a few beers).
    LOL that's where I'm from.

I can ask around if anyone knows of a good place to go for you
    Ah you're grand. I'll just book into a hostel and go drinking with young people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement