Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Did the Barrow Wheelers 100k sportive today, great day, missed a turn and ended up doing just 86.6 kms :-) On the top of that left my Bryton at home so went unrecorded. And I'm still a sh1te finisher on the last climb. :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Stillorgan-N11-Newtown-Roundwood-Enniskerry-Stillorgan. 68km. Probably bit off more than I could chew after 4 weeks of not being on the bike. The Poggio almost killed me near the end. Freezing cold too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Went out for a spin yesterday after the thaw. Was very cold.
    About 3/4 of the way into the ride I was just going along at a nice easy, not too stressful pace, when another cyclist who was all business flew by me!!
    So I thought to hell with my Z2, low Z3 training and I took off after him!!

Managed to get past him alright and stay ahead but the sad thing is that I was busting myself and he was barely breaking a sweat I'd say!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Recovery spin yesterday. Cruising at leisure pace, suddenly a huffing puffing cyclist chases me, gets in the front and tries to stay there for a moment. I guess his brakes were rubbing or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Funny how competitive we can be. When someone fly's by me I try find them afterwarfs using the strava tools and hope to god they are pro or something and it's just not me that sucks!

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    Recovery spin yesterday. Cruising at leisure pace, suddenly a huffing puffing cyclist chases me, gets in the front and tries to stay there for a moment. I guess his brakes were rubbing or something.

There is no comeback to that post!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Normally this time of year im nursing a run of chest infections thanks to winter asthma but thankfully this year im nowhere near as bad and im getting out for the odd spin a lot earlier than last year.
    Was out Saturday and Sunday with local club with the leisure group [although none of the usual leisure folk turned up but a few of the faster/longer route guys decided to stick to a shorter slower run] 24-27kmph which was nice for me.
    Saturday was absolutely bitter with a strong wind, Sunday cold too but not as windy.
    Last year i didnt get out for a spin until late March so im delighted to be able to get out early this year.

It was quite bizzare yesterday actually,we met 3 more larger groups/clubs on the road but not one rider of any of these groups bothered to give us a wave or nod of the head as we passed by and we acknowledged their existence with a quick wave.
    Maybe they were going too fast to wave :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Nice morning after frost/snow had cleared. 63.5 km ballincollig, lissarda, macroom, coachford and home. 24.4kmph (good for me). Doing donal Crowley memorial 100k next Sunday. Good prep for it I hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

leixlip to enfield and back on main road (no ice) this morning, left about 10.30am
    Garmin edge 810(new toy) turned itself off in Maynooth (any ideas?)
    i turned it back on and the recorded the rest of the spin
    43Km 1hr 21mins avrg 31.2km/hr i think, Garmin said temp did mot rise above 0C, is this accurate?
    met 2 others going out when heading back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

devonp wrote: »
    leixlip to enfield and back on main road (no ice) this morning, left about 10.30am
    43Km 1hr 21mins avrg 31.2km/hr i think, Garmin said temp did mot rise above 0C, is this accurate?

Auto power off ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

devonp wrote: »

You might have forgotten to press start. Normally, the unit will power off after a prolonger period of inactivity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Hill interval training on the turbo last night. Very nearly got sick. Legs are quite jelly like today but I am definitely getting better at the higher turbo resistances. Endurance session on Thursday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hill interval training on the turbo last night. Very nearly got sick. Legs are quite jelly like today but I am definitely getting better at the higher turbo resistances. Endurance session on Thursday.

Did an hour on the turbo last night myself, and also a bit wobbly getting off.

Took the hybrid up to Kilmashougue woods today for something different, and while mostly dry, quite glad of the studs for the icy bits. Lovely crisp weather, ideal for the climb but nippy enough coming back down. Couple of pics here *.

(* Wimps guide to Kilmashouge, lesson 1. Always bring a camera, so you can stop and share the views. Sounds way better than stopping in order to cough up a lung)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

30km spin around Swords, Malahide, etc today. A bit cool at first, but overall a lovely day for cycling. Even a few friendly cyclists out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

30km spin around Swords, Malahide, etc today. A bit cool at first, but overall a lovely day for cycling. Even a few friendly cyclists out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

First time out in my new Northwave boots! Toasty warm, even at minus a million (or whatever it was this morning) on my commute. Just need to adjust the cleats a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Got knocked off my bike in Ballbough this morning!..

Silly female driver moved from the right lane just before the junction of the Ballybough Road/Richmond Road/Luke Kelly bridge.

Despite giving me a good knock and both pedestrians and cyclists shouting after her that she'd knocked someone down she kept driving and tried turning left at the next junction towards the Eastwall Rd.. Luckily I wasn't hurt, 'nor the bike damaged but I did stop her, she denied it of course.

I'm not a hot head and would hate to bully a lady, but I did point out to her that she should be paying closer attention as did another cyclist who witnessed the accident.

I'm grand, I continued onto work but it did set the tone of my day.

Some people said I should have called the guards for her for leaving the scene of an accident, but in fairness to her she looked sh*t scared and probably wasn't thinking straight ~ however the lack of an apology was a bit annoying.. Then I heard on the news that a female cyclist was seriously injured last night on the Malahide Rd (my morning commute) so ya know things could have been a lot worse for me.

Happy thoughts, I live to cycle another day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Did the PR Attempt for the Strava Training Plan, and also an FTP test. 22.9km - 1:08:42 - 511m

I lit it up this morning, added 9 watts to my FTP since last month after completeing the Strava 15 Minute Climb Training Plan.
    Smashed my previous best time up Three Rock Hill by 1:25 minutes. Although I did cheat by only using one bottle.

Current FTP: 229W @ 68.2kg = 3.3W/Kg
    Previous FTP: 220W @ 69.5Kg = 3.1W/Kg

https://www.strava.com/activities/251061205

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

First 100km spin of the year today! Greystones to Arklow and back. Felt fantastic on the way down but the wind killed me on the return. A lot of cyclists out too!

One thing I noticed though was the amount of rubbish on the side of the road especially around Brittas Bay. Absolutely shocking that people can treat their own country like that :mad:

https://www.strava.com/activities/251526079

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

101k Wexford/Enniscorthy/Kiltealy/Ballywilliam/New Ross/Wexford.

Great day for it. Down to three layers today and it was plenty.

Tired during last 20k so need to work on nutrition and endurance before the Sumer's escapades.

Rb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Nice 85km with the club this morning. Lovely weather for it. Started to struggle in the last 5 or so kms.
    Average speed of 29k/h though, so quite happy!!
    Feet up now and cheering on the lads in Rome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

'musta been a day for 100ks

Lovely spin up through the Naul, Drogheda and on to Clogherhead. 108k in 4 hours. Thankfully it was dry as the R108 was paved with earth for large sections.

Had the wind behind me on the way back which allowed me a few PRs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/251528739

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

crosstownk wrote: »
    Drama QUOTE]

Jaysus, that's much better than Cramcycle's story :pac: Seriously that sounds terrifying, hope you're ok (and Cram too :D)

Went up stocking lane over the Sally Gap and up Kippure. Plenty of ice at the Sally Gap climb but passable with care.

Turned back almost at the top of Kippure with the cold wind picking up and the road becoming increasingly covered with ice.

70km this morning. Had planned on doing about 90 but wasn't really enjoying it tbh. It was cold and a bit miserable really. Got a sore throat now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

279k today - Angel of Mons Audax and an extra 75k. In the saddle for 11 hours and 18 mins. Great day for it.

(I was hoping to do a 300k but the bloody Garmin battery had other ideas!)

https://app.strava.com/activities/251690770

279k today - Angel of Mons Audax and an extra 75k. In the saddle for 11 hours and 18 mins. Great day for it.

(I was hoping to do a 300k but the bloody Garmin battery had other ideas!)

https://app.strava.com/activities/251690770

Great cycle !!
    Please tell me that the max speed on your strava ain't accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sullzz wrote: »
    Great cycle !!
    Please tell me that the max speed on your strava ain't accurate
    Garmin glitch. I'd say max of around 55km/h. (I'm no Zyzz!).

Garmin glitch. I'd say max of around 55km/h. (I'm no Zyzz!).

Ah don't belittle yourself , if it's on strava it's genuine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The Ratoath Wheelers had a 5km TT today with another in 6 weeks to assess progress. Started at the Cherry Picker on the N2 and went 5km out, rolly roads with a slight downhill start.

I won with a time of 8.26 and an average of 36.6kmph. Felt really under pressure doing it but then I always felt like that in any TT I have done. Chuffed with the result, it been about 21 years since I was club 25mile TT champion :-)

No tri bars just on the Fuji Altamira with a set of Zondas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement