Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

55kms today Greystones to Dun Laoghaire and back. Absolutely beautiful day for a spin. Just took it nice and easy after yesterday. Just love days like today when you're just spinning along taking in all the sights and sounds!

https://www.strava.com/activities/252049708

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

105km today in mostly freezing fog, interesting things happen in those conditions, not least the layer of ice that forms on almost everything.

IMG_20150208_112124.jpg

IMG_20150208_114538.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/252042304

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Some people said I should have called the guards for her for leaving the scene of an accident, but in fairness to her she looked sh*t scared and probably wasn't thinking straight ~ however the lack of an apology was a bit annoying.. Then I heard on the news that a female cyclist was seriously injured last night on the Malahide Rd (my morning commute) so ya know things could have been a lot worse for me.

Happy thoughts, I live to cycle another day :D

I make a point now of involving the guards if I am knocked off the bike through no fault of my own. I reckon it improves the chance of the driver remembering the incident and hopefully avoiding future ones. I have no idea whether there has been any follow up action by the guards but on one occasion I was contacted by the driver's insurance company who insisted on a fairly decent settlement figure in return for signing a no future claim form.

Just seen your photos Crosstownk. That's one driver who will have no difficulty remembering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

60km with the Galway cycle today. Normally cycle from home to the cycle start to add on an extra 20km but the fog was bad this morning so didn't want to risk it. Saw some cyclists out with no lights in dark clothing. Not the most clever move by them with the weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Short spin today - Sutton to Clontarf and back. But it's a personal milestone, being the first time out since having a cancer removed from my bowel over Christmas. Sun shining, sea a deep blue, and a light mist giving the Poolbeg towers an almost eerie quality against the backdrop of the hills. And the cold air filling my lungs.

It's great to be alive. And even better to be on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Went up to club spin but I got lost int he Phoenix park and went to the wrong car park Doh! It was pretty misty though :p Headed off on my own then, with the aim of Skerries. Seen a few groups making their way out of the park and I really, really wanted to ask them if I could join in but I thought better of it!

After going arseways across to Clontarf trying to avoid town, I was with a few for a little bit on the way out to Howth (one of them was in ThinkBike gear, another with a red Trek I think?) then two ladies (one had a Belpatrick Tri Club jersey) on the way to Malahide from Sutton. Then I ended up in Ashbourne :confused: I still have no idea how to get to Skerries. The estuary road is nice though. Swords confuses me every time I go through it. Turned for home at I-can't-believe-it's-not-Skerries Ashbourne, 97.6 flat kilometers all in.

I hate long spins on my own. Much prefer company!

On another note, is there a non awkward way to temporarily be part of a group? With the first guys there wasn't really enough room to go by them for a while so I stayed with them until I could (after asking of course), and with the ladies I didn't want to pass them out and only be a little bit of the road ahead of them, so I asked if I could ride with then for a bit. I didn't want to just hang out the back either I wanted to pay them back by being on the front for a while but I didn't want to disrupt them either. It's a bit of awkward business on your own sometimes! Although maybe I just had group envy!

There were a serious number of people out on bikes too, it was constant. I never normally go out that way. Great though!

Crosstownk I hope you're feeling ok and not too stiff, that sounded terrible. Mind yourself, feet up tonight ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Club spin with rathoath wheelers - given the freezing fog I wasnt expecting too many to show up but we ended up with about 16.

Managed a respectable 91km in temperatures barely above freezing. Cursed with 2 punctures but made it home grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

49k recovery ride. Wexford-Rosslare-Wexford. Lots of 1s and 2s out today. Beautiful weather. Soon be dispensing with tights/leg warmers methinks.

RB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

First cycle using clip-in pedals. They are mighty altogether! Did Naas - Hacketstown 120k. 5.11.

Garmin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Dublin City Centre to Howth - Loop . 33km

Bloody Hell it was still -1 when I set off at 11:00 that damp cold fog was new to me and it was a killer.:eek:

Will have to invest in over shoes and neck warmer as my neck was red raw and my poor toes hurt like hell on the way back from Howth :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Sunday spin today
    leixlip maynooth(almost) Dunboyne SummerHILL rathmoylan longwood N4 Enfield Kilcock Maynooth Leixlip. Nasty fog, cold and damp; always seems the road from Dunboyne to SummerHill is a slight drag all the way....any1 else think so?
    meet plenty on that stretch coming the other way(Maynooth -Galway trainers?)
    82Km in 2h 40m at 31Km/h avg
    still have to make the 50 post to post stats from Edge 810 -strava
    looking forward to the Trim 80km ray crinion memorial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

DominoDub wrote: »
    Dublin City Centre to Howth - Loop . 33km

Bloody Hell it was still -1 when I set off at 11:00 that damp cold fog was new to me and it was a killer.:eek:

Will have to invest in over shoes and neck warmer as my neck was red raw and my poor toes hurt like hell on the way back from Howth :(

Howth can catch you out. Whilst it doesn't look that high I've been caught in freezing fog/mist at the summit while it was grand on the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gadetra wrote: »
    ... Headed off on my own then, with the aim of Skerries.... ... on the way to Malahide from Sutton. Then I ended up in Ashbourne :confused: I still have no idea how to get to Skerries. The estuary road is nice though. Swords confuses me every time I go through it.
    If you came from Malahide to Swords via the Estuary road you would have eventually arrived at either of 2 roundabouts (Seatown Road or Fingallians GAA) depending on how much of the Estuary road you covered.

It sounds like you went straight on at either of these roundabouts (i.e. headed west instead of north).

At either roundabout, take the 3rd exit and head north on the R132 dual carriageway (old Belfast Road). Continue past the M1 crossing and about 500m after the dual carriageway ends you'll come to a junction known as 'Blakes Cross'. Turn right here onto the R127 for Lusk/Skerries. It well signposted - straight through Lusk and Skerries is the next town. You can also go to Skerries via Rush (R128).

If you are approaching Swords from the Airport/Dublin side just continue north on the bypass (R132) through 4 roundabouts and head north as described above.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Super slow 100k, sloshing and skidding around in the mud on the grand canal out as far as Robertstown. Mildly lost coming back, taking the wrong side after Dibgy's bridge and then wondering why the lock numbers had a N suffix. 6hr05, with a local loop thrown in to bring my measly 87k up to the ton. Total pea soup fog for most of the morning with a fair bit of the canal iced over. Came back covered in muck, with the bike about 1kg heavier and myself wearing a big smile.

Got me thinking, fair play to those doing the 3 aquaducts audax. Must feel more like a 300 than a 200, and I reckon I'd really struggle to make the time if it was as mucky as today. Whenever I looked at the speedo on the slow bits I was struggling to hold 12kph.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

279k today - Angel of Mons Audax and an extra 75k. In the saddle for 11 hours and 18 mins. Great day for it.

(I was hoping to do a 300k but the bloody Garmin battery had other ideas!)

https://app.strava.com/activities/251690770

Totally animal for this time of year. Congrats and have a large slice of cake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Plenty of fog around Dublin Airport today although visibility was OK. Larger aeroplanes like A330s and B777s disappeared into the fog almost immediately after take off. The wind was stiff enough out that way but it helped with a few PBs heading the other direction.

After yesterday's flying 4x4 incident I decided to head out today to where things are supposed to fly! I also wanted to get out in traffic so I could rid myself of yesterday's fright.

A handy enough spin with the expected stop/start of Dublin City traffic but glad that yesterday's incident had little or no effect on today's spin.

50km @ 24km/h. Slowish but steady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

smacl wrote: »

fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

279k today - Angel of Mons Audax and an extra 75k. In the saddle for 11 hours and 18 mins. Great day for it.

(I was hoping to do a 300k but the bloody Garmin battery had other ideas!)

https://app.strava.com/activities/251690770

That's impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

smacl wrote: »

Regardless the time of year Wishbone's travels leave me in awe

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

I found a new route for myself at the weekend. Its only a short one. Left Parteen headed towards Broadford, right at Barrys shop then left after the wee bridge. Follow that road, keeping left at two Y junctions and you emerge on the Broadford to O'Brien's Bridge road. Already its been nice, very quite and now you get a few hundred meters of nice downhill and you're motoring. Follow the road to Bridgetown and keep left up through the village and out the back past Tony's pub and within half a mile you're properly in the middle of no-where. This road leads on to Killaloe. Its very quite, I was on it about 30 minutes and I'd say I met two cars. Follow the sign at the first sharp left for Sarsfields ride and then later you'll have another decision to take, right or left. I took the right marked for the lough Derg way walking route and I emerged near Planet-Tri in Killaloe. I'm fairly sure the other road ends up in Killaloe as well. Down the hill, turn right and now you're on the road back towards Limerick and home.

I kinda knew this way was there but I'd never gone up there before the weekend. Very pleased that I did. Its really quite with nice views in spots. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Heading home today and decided to do a loop of Park followed by the steep climbs on the Strawberry Beds. Entered the park from NCR entrance and as I took the sharp right hander to head up by zoo my front wheel just went from under me. Hit the ground with my head and helmet.
    Graze above the eye. Both wrists badly up which will curtail my love life. Right hip very sore.
    I replaced my trusty Vittoria open Pave tyres two weeks ago with some Conti GP400s. Shoulda left them on until I could get a new pair. Motorist stopped to help me as I was sitting on the ground trying to figure out what I was doing there. Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Speedy recovery ROK ON. Jeez there's too many us hitting the tarmac around here.:(
    I owe my Open pave's from saving me from hitting the deck twice in a week. Coming back from the Orwell gig on Saturday,turned into my estate which is an off camber slope so always take it dead handy, but this time the front wheel lost grip then gripped again just as the rear let go before regaining traction.I was stuck between trying to release my left foot or sitting back up but didn't get a chance to do either. If I'd been on any of my Conti shod wheels I'd have hit the deck for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I came off before Christmas, broke my left wrist. Still hurts a bit. Feckin' greasy roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ROK ON wrote: »
    Heading home today and decided to do a loop of Park followed by the steep climbs on the Strawberry Beds. Entered the park from NCR entrance and as I took the sharp right hander to head up by zoo my front wheel just went from under me. Hit the ground with my head and helmet.
    Graze above the eye. Both wrists badly up which will curtail my love life. Right hip very sore.
    I replaced my trusty Vittoria open Pave tyres two weeks ago with some Conti GP400s. Shoulda left them on until I could get a new pair. Motorist stopped to help me as I was sitting on the ground trying to figure out what I was doing there. Ouch

Ouch!

Get well soon, ROK ON.

I finally managed to get back on the bike today after my recent "incident"

Had the heebeegeebees tbh :( Hoped to get back on last week but the bad weather kind of helped me take a bit more "time out"

Was worried that I had lost a lot of fitness too but managed to knock out 16km into work this morning and 21km home. Couldn't believe I still had a set of legs. :) Pain in the hole breaking in those snow/ice tyres though.

Onwards and upwards.

Can't wait for the weather to improve and get back on my Canyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

crosstownk wrote: »
    Plenty of fog around Dublin Airport today although visibility was OK. Larger aeroplanes like A330s and B777s disappeared into the fog almost immediately after take off. The wind was stiff enough out that way but it helped with a few PBs heading the other direction.

I was on one of them and it took us 3 attempts to get down. We would get within 20 or 30 metres of the ground and then have to go up again. The view above the fog was spectacular though.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If I'd been on any of my Conti shod wheels I'd have hit the deck for sure.

Mind if I ask what tyres you were on? I took a spill very unexpectedly a while back on Conti GP 4000S and remain unconvinced about them on non-dry roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I don't have much experience with Conti GP 4000S (only a few 100's km on the rear, grey version) but the rubber seemed to be much harder to touch than on high-end Vittorias, or even Kojaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Mind if I ask what tyres you were on? I took a spill very unexpectedly a while back on Conti GP 4000S and remain unconvinced about them on non-dry roads

I've GP4000s and GP 4 seasons. Find both a lottery in the wet. Tyres I had on Saturday were Vittoria Open Pave CG III.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The bike went from under me on a bend yesterday. I reckon there was oil/diesel on the road as I was covered in it when I got up. I now have some nice road rash and bruises. Luckily the bike is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've GP4000s and GP 4 seasons. Find both a lottery in the wet.

This kind of goes against the general consensus, doesn't it?

I've found Vittoria Open Corsas the best in wet ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement