Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,265 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Nothing major to report today other than the small matter of 6 2015 KOMs!

Was Lizzy Dripping after that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

As I came over the canal at Leeson street, I saw the aftermath of two cyclists who smashed into each other. Around 07:45 this morning. One guy looked like he was in a really bad way. Hope he is doing ok if anyone on here might know him. Looked like he was into cycling had all the gear etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    Was Lizzy Dripping after that?

You'd have to ask the gadetra lady about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Nothing major to report today other than the small matter of 6 2015 KOMs!

Even I am getting 2015 KOM's so standards must be slipping or keeping their powder dry:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Stopped by an garda siochana on the Lucan bypass this morning because I was cycling in the bus/cycle lane. They made me go on the footpath / cycle lane thing and quoted the (defunct) law about mandatory use. Unmarked garda car so I think they might be from out of town. Can't imagine the traffic corps doing that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Stopped by an garda siochana on the Lucan bypass this morning because I was cycling in the bus/cycle lane. They made me go on the footpath / cycle lane thing and quoted the (defunct) law about mandatory use. Unmarked garda car so I think they might be from out of town. Can't imagine the traffic corps doing that sort of thing.

Terrible - were you tempted to refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Got a set of rollers on Wednesday in the post and once I got home from work I put them together and decided that at 11pm wasn't that late to try them out. Had a lot of wall holding but after a few brave moments I managed to cycle further and further without needing support.

Today I had my first proper session. I did 30 mins on it and really concentrated in my pedalling. Hopefully I'll start seeing improvements over the coming weeks.

Things to remember for the next time:

Towel for me
    Towel for the bike
    Mop for the floor :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/254238368

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

I have had friends stopped in the Lucan area for negligible traffic offences. Every case was an unmarked car, and they all came away with the impression after the incident that it may not have been a guard. Did he offer any identification? Was he own his own??

I have had a few friends pulled over for negligible minor traffic offences by an unmarked car. All left with the impression afterwards the guy was not a Guard. Was he on his own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

@Buachaill_Mor
    I'm pretty sure it was gardai. The car was unmarked but it had the flashing blue lights built into the front lights. Three of them in it as far as I could see. They were driving in the bus lane next to me (on my RHS) with the passenger window down. They had slowed down to my speed so the whole conversation took place in transit. The lad in the passenger seat was doing most of the talking. I think another lad said something at some point, but I couldn't hear him.

@RainyDay
    I was tempted to stand my ground, and in fact I did for a little while. But then his tone changed and he more or less told me to get onto the footpath / cycle path thing. He was now saying that by cycling in the bus/cycle lane I was presenting a danger to motorists during rush hour. So in other words, if you don't move it'll be a 'disobeying a garda' charge, or something like that. Absolutely bonkers really. Even when it's mad busy there's space to pass on that stretch of road, and it was quite early (7.30am) and not near as busy as it gets. I was keeping a straight line near the kerb in the bus/cycle lane as always, at a decent pace, so there's no way there was a danger.

I'd say they were up from the country or something. Like I said, I don't think you'd get traffic corps doing that. Actually, I passed a traffic corps car parked at the side of the road on the same stretch of road just this morning, with me in the bus/cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

Nice handy 60k spin around north cork today. Windy but enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

Think ive just done my most stupidist cycle ever. 27km this morning but never ate before i went out. Conked out somewhere about 15k and should have taken the turn home at 17k rather then going on. Needless to say was ****ed and starving when i got home. I also remembered while out why i stopped cycling the sutton howth cyclepath. Cycle paths in bits and the road part is a disgrace. Cant believe they sent the giro dow that last year. More holes and craters then a ukranian market place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

82km on the old Sorrento mountain classic route, drove to Laragh and started climbing from there. Very enjoyable, might change my crankset for one of the new models with 52-36 instead of 53-39 climbed ok but maxed out on 39-30 for some of the 10% parts would feel better off the bottom and spinning more.

http://app.strava.com/activities/254704948

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

No spin for the last 2 weeks since the Junior Tour Trust Sportive . Have been very busy and wrecked tired after work so I didn't even bother my arse with the turbo. The missus headed off there a while ago and junior is up for his nap so I jumped on the Hybrid on the trainer and stuck on Sufferfest- The Hunted. For some reason I seem to get far higher resistance on the Hybrid than the roadbike, must be the fatter tires/lower pressure.

Anyway, it's a fairly decent workout, I blew my gasket altogether. Legs on fire, lower back tight as a knot, HR through the roof. 30 seconds from the end and I pulled the cleat plate clean out of the Lidl shoes. They're German engineered so i figure I must be putting out some serious Wattage to wreck such fine craftsmanship ;)
    hwhbao.jpg
    CRC beckons:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

73k with ratoath wheelers. Wasn't 100% when the gallops started 20k from the end. Happy to finish and have 2 lungs internally housed rather than externally. First time in il panorama (portmarnock) where brekky included poached eggs for one lucky member of the group. And then the slagging started. 27.7k avg with 450vertical metres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

60km today out to Blessington and back. I punctured on the Tallaght Bypass just 5km out so I decided to return home for a fresh tube and top up with the track pump. I'd planned to do 80km but the time taken to repair the puncture meant I had to cut it short as I was under pressure to be home by 3:30.

62km @25.6km/h and 370m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I needed a junk bike that I could leave locked at the DART station in Bray overnight so got this beast today out in Crumlin for €25:

YWJHIuT.jpg?1

Then cycled it 25 km Crumlin>Dundrum>Kilternan>Enniskerry>Bray in 90 minutes.

Its fine, the gears work, the brakes are terrible, the saddle is like an armchair its so comfortable, wrecks your legs though probably because it weighs about 3 tons. You realise how slow you're going when you're outside Enniskerry and the roadbikes start shooting past you like motorbikes. Absolutely wrecked now, bones feel like lead. For 25 quid you cant complain. Thanks to the guys in Wolfe Cycles on Sundrive Road for fixing the pedal for free for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

85km with the Galway cycle. Distance is really starting to clock up now but felt pretty OK the whole way. The last 5 km home on my own was unpleasant but bearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

First proper day in the mountains this year today, drove up to Rosanallis and parked up, cycled down to Clonaslee and up the Cut then over the Wolftrap to Kinnitty for a coffee and back the way I came, uneventful enough spin till I met a gang from Lucan coming up the Cut as I was coming down, they had a team van behind them and since it was travelling slow and there seemed to be plenty of space to one side I didn't slow up too much, so there was a bit of a brown trousers moment when first a head, then a bike appeared out from behind just as I met it, I don't know which of us got the biggest fright...

Felt grand getting back to the van and had plenty of time so decided to go seek out the Ridge of Capard, not sure that was such a good idea, short enough climb but some right steep ramps and the last bit was just plain ridiculous, anything up to 25%, stand up and the back wheel spun, sit and the biggest job was to keep the front from lifting, definitely one for early in the spin next time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/254740612

Great day out though, I love getting out in the Blooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

No idea how it happened but I lost my pannier somewhere between work and home. Wallet, spares, and a few others bit gone. FML Country roads and drove the route when I got home but no sign of it. Raging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ouch, Much in the wallet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

No cash, but cards and sentimental stuff. But I worked out about 120-150€ worth between bag, tools, gear etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Bad day all round - 2km in 10 minutes :o

First the 3 lads I normally go for a spin with all cried off for one reason or another. Undeterred I resolved to do a solo 50km spin. Got up, had the porridge etc, got the gear on and hit the road. Was in the small ring for a minute to loosen up the legs, went to change to the big ring and nothing. Dismounted (not too far from home) and spotted that the gear cable had broken off the front dérailleur. Looks like a tightening nut worked loose and is missing.

Back home and down to the LBS to get it fixed :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lucky feckers enjoying the sunshine, I'm off with an absolute motherf*cker of a head cold and watching everyone zipp down the Portmarnock coast road :'( ~ Safe riding everyone, enjoy the sunshine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

nice spin around the Blessington lake sure beats the turbo. Cracking morning for the middle of Feb loads out on the roads as i was heading back in.

90.5km 3:29:06 680m

Went out and did only 20k today. Just over the flu and I was in ribbons only 2 mins. Sweating like a piggy and empty legs. After 10k I thought I am not going to make it home, but I did. Just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

a good 55km this morning Killiney- dundrum-enniskerry-kilmacganouge- bray-dalkey -killiney

a good few hills, no overshoes so my toes were freezing, the rest of me was nice and toasty. the hills are killing me. Going to add on a few trips up killiney hill on my commute home. anyone got an tips for hill training?

https://www.strava.com/activities/255217622

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Bit hungover this morning. First night out since no2 came along. Did a nice 32km loop with about 620m of climbing.

Slow and steady eventually gets you home!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Delighted I got out yesterday and today. Since I got my garmin I've been trying to keep my cadence up. It it slowly improving and making sure I am in the right gear before a climb makes a huge difference.

Saturday:

56.7km, 26.8km/h, 258m

https://www.strava.com/activities/254788982

Today:

80.2km, 26.3km/h, 402m

Today is the furthest cycle I have done to date. My goal of doing a 100km cycle by the end of the month is still looking doable :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/255206842

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

DMW22 wrote: »
    Delighted I got out yesterday and today. Since I got my garmin I've been trying to keep my cadence up. It it slowly improving and making sure I am in the right gear before a climb makes a huge difference.

Saturday:

56.7km, 26.8km/h, 258m

https://www.strava.com/activities/254788982

Today:

80.2km, 26.3km/h, 402m

Today is the furthest cycle I have done to date. My goal of doing a 100km cycle by the end of the month is still looking doable :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/255206842
    Intresting to hear your view on cadence sensors. Must treat myself next payday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement