Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Crocked wrote: »
    As usual I also got lost coming through Kilbride looking for Butter Mountain, can never remember the right turns coming through there

If you're coming north through Manor Kilbride, take the first right turn after village (R759). Then take the the left at the first crossroads after Mooney's pub to take the climb to Butter Mountain. Alternatively, you can continue straight on the R759 and take the sharp left just before the Kippure Adventure Centre which will bring you past the firing range. A left after the firing range will eventually bring you to a T junction - right for Butter Mountain.

My spin today was one of those where I had no plan. I'm shít scared of ice so I stayed low. Wrong call given the spins others had around the Blessington area which is my usual haunt. I probably play it too safe in cold weather thanks to hitting the ground on ice up that way last winter.

Anyway, I went through Ballyfermot into the Phoenix Park, through the city and back via the Strawberry Beds to Lucan. My first time up Knockmaroon Hill. Steep but very short - no hassle.

The wind was a bloody nuisance and my chest (bruised rib from a recent fall) started acting up after 30km. I could do with more rest, I think.

51km at a casual 23.7km/h on a relatively flat route - 190m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Off the bike since November due to a knee injury, had keyhole surgery on it last week and got out for a nice easy spin today. Great to be back, and not have any pain... a short 22k or so at a leisurely pace but I just wanted to spin easy and loosen up the knee. Looking forward to building up the distance over the next few weeks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

not yet wrote: »
    30k around Dunboyne today on my brand new, out of the box, just installed, shiny and sparkly new zonda wheels with new Veloflex corsa tires...

all I can say is roll baby roll...

What did they replace? Mine are on the way and interested to hear comparisons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Managed just under 50km today - castleknock - rathoath - Kilbride - St Margaret's then home. Wasn't too bad - miserable enough to cut short though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Out into a headwind and hit the deck around the Dunboyne roundabout. Hip is mega sore to move in any direction. Two nice guys gave me a lift home. Put a hole in my sorpasso tights and alpha jacket. Off for an x-ray now :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Borderfox wrote: »
    Out into a headwind and hit the deck around the Dunboyne roundabout. Hip is mega sore to move in any direction. Two nice guys gave me a lift home. Put a hole in my sorpasso tights and alpha jacket. Off for an x-ray now :-(

Sorry to hear it, hope all is ok. Was out for 50k myself today and the roads were slippy - glad I had my 28mm tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

How is the bike???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ouch, hope you're not too bad. That roundabout is slippy enough at the best of times. Any damage to the bike?

Did a quick spin today, testing new shoes and a new-ish (second hand off EBay) Garmin. Very blustery 32 km but surprisingly warm. Shoes were great, fit like a glove or indeed like shoes. Garmin was great too but I spent half my spin watching my cadence and HR and fiddling with the display settings. HR was quite high but I've been doing feck all excercise the last few weeks and was cycling into the wind from the start. Happy enough with my cadence, averaged around the 100 throughout the spin. Of course, being the clown that I am I didn't read the manual properly so I didn't record the ride. Got it on the phone though. 2 windy PRs, I'll take them without guilt.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/258453256/overview

Haven't even looked at the bike yet, just back from Swiftcare clinic for an x-ray but all clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

colm18 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it, hope all is ok. Was out for 50k myself today and the roads were slippy - glad I had my 28mm tyres

Sorry to hear that borderfox (I'm Gavan from the rathoath wheelers). Glad you're ok, colm I was with you today - crappy weather ok

• Advertisement

Thanks Gavan, seen you were out with some of the gang too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The cycle this morning was horrendous. Headwinds at gale force and then it started snowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^
    I preferred to think of it as 'bracing'...

:D

Mind you, I knew what I was in for when, waiting at traffic lights to get onto the coastal cycle path, I saw a cyclist casually doing about 50kph downwind... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

decided to avoid the wind and cold today so half an hour on the turbo. they really are feckin awful boring mind numbing yokes. hopfully wind fecks off by this evening and can get out for an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

35k for me today. Headwind on the way out and floated home although I had to listen to a knackered freehub most of the way home. Some tlc needed in the lbs tomorrow to get back to hearing myself suffering instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

neris wrote: »
    decided to avoid the wind and cold today so half an hour on the turbo. they really are feckin awful boring mind numbing yokes. hopfully wind fecks off by this evening and can get out for an hour

Wind died down abit this evening and rain fecked off so got a nice quick hilly proper 18k spin in around Howth tonight. One new PR on starva. Been a while since i remember seeing one of them before.

One little fecker of a wall though ive started using on the back roads though at the junction of balkhill and windgate road. Killer but enjoyable when you hit the flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

You know its going to be a tough day on the bike when you get to your first descent and you have to keep pushing (in small ring) to get down it due to the wind. Still got a nice 76km in felt like double that on the legs but hey, no pain no gain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

All set for a good spin today, hoping to get out just after 10am, til I got caught up watching the cricket, ( & what a game ) so as soon as we got the win I was off. Quick 33km as I was in work for 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I head-butted a pigeon on my cycle this morning.

Someone walking on the path startled it and it flew away from them and straight into the front of my helmet. Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the helmet mega-thread ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

quozl wrote: »

Someone walking on the path startled it and it flew away from them and straight into the front of my helmet. Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the helmet mega-thread ;)

I always fear that happening to me when I see them fly up close to me :eek:. It's good to know you survived!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

gadetra wrote: »
    I always fear that happening to me when I see them fly up close to me :eek:. It's good to know you survived!

It was surprisingly light! It wasn't even sore - for me. I felt a bit sorry for the pigeon :)

Yuck though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in the helmet mega-thread ;)

Why? Were the pigeons wearing helmets?

f072b41f09530248a2c74687c4517088.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

cant imagine what its like having your head whacked by a bird, especially early in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Got an hour in on the turbo last night, fecking miracle I got anything at all done this week so happy enough to keep the legs ticking over. Out for my first 100 km of the year on Saturday. Should be ok as I did 93 km last week so not a whole heap of a jump. Already looking forward to the bacon sandwich and coffee afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

mmmmmh bacon sandwich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

1 degree and snowing this morning....

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

I had a goal to do a 100km cycle by the end of February but on Monday I realised I only had a week to do it. With the weather being crap and work being busy I didn't think I was going to get out.

From checking the forecast the only day that looked possible was today and luckily enough I had today off work so decided to try my best.

I headed out at 10 and wanted to try complete it in 4 hours with an average speed of 25km/h as I thought it would have been a doable time but as the day went on the wind got stronger and stronger and I was wishing had was in a group but that wasn't going to get me home.

At 80km my legs were dead from pushing into the wind for so long and even the slightest hill had me changing down through the gears. I managed to struggle on and made it home with 100.8km done.

I was delighted to be home as the wind had everything taken out of me. Time to put the feet up for a day or two I think

100.8km, 27km/h, 500m

https://www.strava.com/activities/260516842/overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

27kmh for your first 100k and 253 suffer score? Impressive!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

pretty pissed because its so windy and i cant cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I walked my bike home today :( the pedals are spinning but the wheel ain't moving. My inexperienced self says it's the free hub. Debating weather to take it back to the shop I got it, or bring it to a more capable shop and just get it fixed.

Any thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement