Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Freehub is either busted or some dirt/grime has gotten in and is preventing the little mechs from catching! What hub is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Zyzz wrote: »
    Freehub is either busted or some dirt/grime has gotten in and is preventing the little mechs from catching! What hub is it?
    I'm not sure
    It's a 105 groupset ( 2014 cube peletron pro or race)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Had a freehub replaced by LBS during the week, from a Fulcrum entry level wheel, it was well knackered. Cost me a tenner. He did say 'don't mess with this unless you know what you're doing'. Lovely fresh sounding one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Legs wrecked from wed spin class but a dry calm day, flags hardly fluttering So decided to go for short spin. by the time i was turned for home the wind had picked up and a gale was blowing. Hardly got home. Only 26km avg but got out at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Luxman wrote: »
    Had a freehub replaced by LBS during the week, from a Fulcrum entry level wheel, it was well knackered. Cost me a tenner. He did say 'don't mess with this unless you know what you're doing'. Lovely fresh sounding one now.

Which shop was that? Sounds like a great price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

ted1 wrote: »
    Which shop was that? Sounds like a great price
    Richies in swords but collected new chain rings too so he might have knocked a few quid. Ring beforehand to check he has the right one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First time up to Kippure this year. I wanted to see how much condition I've lost since last years attempt. Last year was on a beautiful summers day and I had been doing a bit of mileage, but it was on the Hybrid. Today was on the road bike but I've done fúk all the last few weeks.

Went up Stocking lane and as before, got a nasty shock when the first real ramp appears. Had a rest at the viewing point and a chat with a few sound chaps from Rathgar/Ranelagh. Continued on with them, having another brief stop at the layby above the lake and then again at the gate before the Kippure climb. The wind was fairly howling up there. They headed on to Lough Tay, I went up the mountain.
    It was fuking bitterly cold and the wind was driving me sideways and backwards. I had to stop a couple of times to get my breath, I have no shame in admitting I'm fairly crap going uphill :o

A thick cloud rolled in and meant I couldn't see 20 metres ahead for a few minutes. A few hikers near the top joked that it was lovely and sunny once I got through the fog. I wish .... I didn't realise I was at the top until I got near the concrete gate pillars.
    They could really do with a coffee shop up there. I didn't hang around, just turned and back down again. Was beginning to go numb in several places at that stage.

The descent was seriously hairy with the wind, I'm glad I dont have deep section wheels or I'd be writing this from a hospital bed. From once I got down to the featherbeds it felt about 5 degrees warmer and by the time I got back to the car it was nearly a summers day in comparison. I was clipping along at a nice pace all the way down, probably would have gone a nice bit faster too only for a car that kept slowing me down on corners.

My goal at the minute is to do a 120km spin in July with 3000m climbing including a 25km/1300m climb. Nothing massive compared to what some of the people on here do but for me it'll be like the Everest.
    After today I need to re-evaluate what training I have to do and that's a fking fact. HR was sh!t, cadence all over the place. At least I didn't cramp or bonk.

I'm happy enough all the same as I set a good few PRs on the way up, don't know if it's the 6kg difference in bikeweight or I am actually a bit fitter than last year. Anyway, onwards and upwards :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/260954781
    tag3ef.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

102 km this morning. 90 with the Galway cycle group and then the rest on my own. I felt absolutely fine in the group the whole way out and back but jesus Christ the last 10 km on my own was woeful. The wind was howling and I struggled badly. My legs still felt fine but it was such a grind, felt like up hill all the way home. But glad to get the first 100 under the belt,and in before the worst if the weather. Yay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Almost killed myself climbing up kilmashogue lane this morning..came closer to killing myself on the way down though. Back slid out and aimed for the side of the road where there was a small bit of mud to slow me own but ended up going straight into a wall.

Not sure exactly what happened but i managed to come away with just a buckled wheel and badly beat up face.

Planned for a big spin but cut very short to only 11k

strava .com/activities/260830683

Side note - does anyone in the Rathfarnham area know how to true a wheel. I hope its not too bad.

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

Daroxtar wrote: »
    First time up to Kippure this year. I wanted to see how much condition I've lost since last years attempt. Last year was on a beautiful summers day and I had been doing a bit of mileage, but it was on the Hybrid. Today was on the road bike but I've done fúk all the last few weeks.

Went up Stocking lane and as before, got a nasty shock when the first real ramp appears. Had a rest at the viewing point and a chat with a few sound chaps from Rathgar/Ranelagh. Continued on with them, having another brief stop at the layby above the lake and then again at the gate before the Kippure climb. The wind was fairly howling up there. They headed on to Lough Tay, I went up the mountain.
    It was fuking bitterly cold and the wind was driving me sideways and backwards. I had to stop a couple of times to get my breath, I have no shame in admitting I'm fairly crap going uphill :o

A thick cloud rolled in and meant I couldn't see 20 metres ahead for a few minutes. A few hikers near the top joked that it was lovely and sunny once I got through the fog. I wish .... I didn't realise I was at the top until I got near the concrete gate pillars.
    They could really do with a coffee shop up there. I didn't hang around, just turned and back down again. Was beginning to go numb in several places at that stage.

The descent was seriously hairy with the wind, I'm glad I dont have deep section wheels or I'd be writing this from a hospital bed. From once I got down to the featherbeds it felt about 5 degrees warmer and by the time I got back to the car it was nearly a summers day in comparison. I was clipping along at a nice pace all the way down, probably would have gone a nice bit faster too only for a car that kept slowing me down on corners.

My goal at the minute is to do a 120km spin in July with 3000m climbing including a 25km/1300m climb. Nothing massive compared to what some of the people on here do but for me it'll be like the Everest.
    After today I need to re-evaluate what training I have to do and that's a fking fact. HR was sh!t, cadence all over the place. At least I didn't cramp or bonk.

I'm happy enough all the same as I set a good few PRs on the way up, don't know if it's the 6kg difference in bikeweight or I am actually a bit fitter than last year. Anyway, onwards and upwards :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/260954781
    tag3ef.jpg

I was going to head up Kippure today but the wind turned me back just before the featherbeds. Fair play.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Made it up Kilmashogue Lane for the first time this morning. I had to bail out (almost at the top, as it happens) when I attempted it on tired legs towards the end of last year but I attacked it fresh today and made it up without too much difficulty, albeit at a snail's pace. It's bloody steep. Tacked on Ticknock and a couple of different climbs up to Glencullen before returning to the city via Cruagh Road. Did about 55km with 1000m of climbing so pretty happy with that. I've only been out on the bike a couple of times since Christmas as I've been mainly concentrating on running and hiking so it was satisfying to find I hadn't lost too much bike fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Was out yesterday and done 40km. Decided at my road end to go with the wind on the way out but that didn't last long. Within 4km I facing a stiff headwind and it seemed to change direction with me as it appeared constantly head on. I was having to pedal down hills just to keep momentum, I was tempted to take a short cut home but ploughed on. Averaged 23.5kmph for the spin which wasn't too bad considering the windy conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

First century ride, 104Km
    at the Junior Tour Trust Sportive in Clare/Galway
    mild day , one mist shower on the ascent of Maghera just before the food stop
    felt ok til about 90Km, the last 14km seemed endless but i'm happy :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/261081313
    oh and the King himself SK was there and riding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Did 7 laps on Zwift as part of a trial account. It's good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the wind was intense today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did 58k from Bray to Giant store in Walkinstown and back to sort out my new Defy, wind was absolutely miserable in my face all the way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Rode the Kings Mountain 200 today. Woke up a 5am and thought grand I've plenty of time to get to the start. Lying in bed saying to myself I'll get up in a minute. Next thing I know it's 6.30 and I should be signing on. :eek:
    Decided to get my ass up and ride the route solo. Tough day in that wind and rain. No wheel to shelter behind all day. Still glad I got out and rode the damn thing.

232Kms Avg 23.1km/h
    https://www.strava.com/activities/261141916

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Home to Galway to cycle with my friend to Moycullen and Spidal, then back home in the rain after some biscuits.

111.9km - 4:39:28 - 594m
    Avg: 24km/h - 136 Watts

The weather was fine until I was coming home, then it was just rain non-stop. But the Luke Express rolls regardless.

https://www.strava.com/activities/261017669

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Side note - does anyone in the Rathfarnham area know how to true a wheel. I hope its not too bad.

What about Expert Cycles in the Village?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Rode the Kings Mountain 200 today. Woke up a 5am and thought grand I've plenty of time to get to the start. Lying in bed saying to myself I'll get up in a minute. Next thing I know it's 6.30 and I should be signing on. :eek:
    Decided to get my ass up and ride the route solo. Tough day in that wind and rain. No wheel to shelter behind all day. Still glad I got out and rode the damn thing.

232Kms Avg 23.1km/h
    https://www.strava.com/activities/261141916

Did ya get proofs of passage at the controls? You might get credit for RRTY if so.

T'was a good spin. New bike got its debut audax and many admiring comments. Serious wind to contend with but managed a 23.1kph average too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Hey The tax man, you nicked my stats! I rode the King's Mountain today too, but as part of the group. 232km 23.1 avg.
    King's Mountain 200

I too was riding my new audax bike, a fully tricked Lynskey titanium, it's brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Almost killed myself climbing up kilmashogue lane this morning..came closer to killing myself on the way down though. Back slid out and aimed for the side of the road where there was a small bit of mud to slow me own but ended up going straight into a wall....
    Sandwell wrote: »
    Made it up Kilmashogue Lane for the first time this morning. I had to bail out (almost at the top, as it happens) when I attempted it on tired legs towards the end of last year but I attacked it fresh today and made it up without too much difficulty, albeit at a snail's pace. It's bloody steep...
    Hope you're ok TripleMinor!

I also gave it a lash today! It was my 3rd attempt and it's not getting any easier. The howling headwind and crosswinds made it tough going. When I was on the final ramp 2 lads in vans were stopped in conversation blocking the bloody road so I had to unclip and then try to get going again. I also had 100k in the legs at that stage! I then descended like a granny due to the difficult conditions. :pac:

Some day I'll try it with fresh legs.

https://app.strava.com/activities/261130667

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I took on the Walkinstown Roundabout today.

Like a boss.

I was quite the scardy cat tbh.

That was my main victory :o

Other than that, managed 101 km for the day, along with my second time cycling in a group.

After leaving the group, the last 12 km were super tough, and into brutal winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Did ya get proofs of passage at the controls? You might get credit for RRTY if so.

T'was a good spin. New bike got its debut audax and many admiring comments. Serious wind to contend with but managed a 23.1kph average too...

Yeah I made sure I collected some receipts along the route. Met Paul and Aidan at the finish and they were fine with them.
    Hey The tax man, you nicked my stats! I rode the King's Mountain today too, but as part of the group. 232km 23.1 avg.
    King's Mountain 200

I too was riding my new audax bike, a fully tricked Lynskey titanium, it's brilliant!

I couldn't imagine doing a 200 on anything else. They're so comfy.
    You started your day only about 200 mts up the road from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Decided to get my ass up and ride the route solo. Tough day in that wind and rain. No wheel to shelter behind all day.

Kudos to your willpower! I'd tuck back in sheets at this stage.

After you've asked me about Kingsmountain the other day I decided to make my first half-arsed attempt in audaxing this year, despite tight family schedule. So I went with the group until Summerhill and turned back home. A mere 100k for me today... some nasty wind (from all directions! only in Ireland), but luckily no rain on my route.

https://app.strava.com/activities/260864131

A lovely frame! Very recognizable as Lynskey (curved seatstays), I've eyeballed it with pleasure this morning :P
    I couldn't imagine doing a 200 on anything else. They're so comfy.

35mm tyres are comfier :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Did 90k this morning. Maynooth to past Kinnegad and back. Headwind both ways - getting stronger as we headed home. Tough spin but worth the effort - it'll stand to me.

On the plus side I needed new gloves and won 2 vouchers in a raffle last night - so picked up these for €25 after the vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

Got out early today as the forecast wasn't. Looking good

Tallaght balnascorney manor Kilbride Sallysgap home via stocking lane ,got in just before the wind and rain got to heavy

Really struggled up the hills (going to blame the wind )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

70k miserable day , constant rain out to moyvally then lashed snow for the journey home , and it stuck . Not the greatest of days to be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

65k today - Clonmel, Carrick(Seskin), Rathgormack, Clonmel.

Serious rain and even more serious wind under the mountains near Rathgormack.

All in memory of a very special little girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

My fastest ever home to Sutton, a few ups and downs of Howth Head followed by my slowest and wettest Sutton to home. Why didn't I get out of bed and on the road earlier? At least I had the sense to stay away from the mountains (well done jober).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement