Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Longest for me too this year, must have been the day for it!

85km on the fixed around the drumlins of cavan. Strangely prefer riding fixed in windy conditions like today, nowhere to hide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

First spin in two weeks due to man flu and then wife being away for work. 50kms from Greystones to check out a few of those 'bog standard' houses in Killiney and back! Felt better than expected although the wind coming back up the n11 was absolutely horrific!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

No thermals required on commute this evening, hopefully I can put them away till next winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

93 with the Galway cycle. Very windy but the group helped. One more big training spin then it's nearly go time. 200km to Galway and 200km back the last weekend of March!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

93 with the Galway cycle. Very windy but the group helped. One more big training spin then it's nearly go time. 200km to Galway and 200km back the last weekend of March!

Did in or around the 100km myself (had my Garmin stopped for a while so missed some of it, annoyingly!), and joined up with ye just west of Enfield (22km from home on the way back) - I was the guy on the orange Trek that was heading out to meet ye, and turned around and tagged on the back at that point, if you spotted that?

Can honestly say I was only too happy of the group shelter for that 22km, as the 50km up to that had been tough, especially heading south into the wind from the Trim road to Kilcock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I left the house and headed up Ballyroan Road for Kilmashogue. I made it to the top but just about - an insane climb. I had to stop to have a conversation with a motorist who informed me that there was a dead end at the top. She was concerned that I'd climbed the hill only to find a dead end. I had to clip back in holding onto a fence to get pedalling again. Fcuk me, that Kilmashogue is steep.

Not one to learn a lesson, I continued out via Tibradden to climb Cruagh. At the viewing point I turned left with the intention of heading back via Glenasmole. I changed my mind when I got to the Featherbeds as the crosswinds were pure mental. I descended to Bohernabreena in strong crosswinds and took the Kiltipper Road to Kilinarden Hill. I then began the climb up Seskin but my right leg was feeling the pain of the previous hills and the battle with the wind so I turned and headed back home on the N81. I got home to find a a large gash in my back tyre. The tyre is brown bread - 700km on a Michelin Pro 4 and it's now for the bin :mad: That pissed me off.

A slow day due to the hills and wind: 41km, 780m @ 19km/h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

107.3 done for the day.

'twas a lovely day out on the bike with the Laurels G2D group. Nasty headwind in places but I finally managed to get to the front and do my bit for a few hours.

There is something to be said for "pacing" yourself.

It was probably my first really pain free "long" cycle too.

My OCD had me wondering about my past Shimano bike fit (which was great) and if it took into account the "sponge" and "sag" on the saddle.

So I raised my saddle by 4/5mm to compensate.

I think my theory was right.

Not so much "no pain" but just "nothing" with my knees. (Not sure if that makes sense) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

crosstownk wrote: »
    I left the house and headed up Ballyroan Road for Kilmashogue. I made it to the top but just about - an insane climb. I had to stop to have a conversation with a motorist who informed me that there was a dead end at the top. She was concerned that I'd climbed the hill only to find a dead end. I had to clip back in holding onto a fence to get pedalling again. Fcuk me, that Kilmashogue is steep.

Not one to learn a lesson, I continued out via Tibradden to climb Cruagh. At the viewing point I turned left with the intention of heading back via Glenasmole. I changed my mind when I got to the Featherbeds as the crosswinds were pure mental. I descended to Bohernabreena in strong crosswinds and took the Kiltipper Road to Kilinarden Hill. I then began the climb up Seskin but my right leg was feeling the pain of the previous hills and the battle with the wind so I turned and headed back home on the N81. I got home to find a a large gash in my back tyre. The tyre is brown bread - 700km on a Michelin Pro 4 and it's now for the bin :mad: That pissed me off.

A slow day due to the hills and wind: 41km, 780m @ 19km/h

No such thing as a slow day with winds like today's, and considering the terrain you took on. Ìts days like today that will stand to us later on in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Midway through my 2nd cycle and have to admit I'm hooked! Model Farm Road to UCC to town and out to the slipway in Blackrock. The place bustling with activity. Watching the rowers gracefully gliding up the estuary, effortlessly slicing against the wind. The highlight was chatting to an elderly cyclist at Black rock (another coffee!!). I had to ask him his name again and said I was terrible at names. His reply.....Sure there's too many names in the world!!! Happy cycling people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Such a pain that it is a dead end. Wouldn't it be great if there was a track to go across to Tibradden Lane, or even back across to the top of Kellystown Road, or some other route beyond turning back around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Yesterday I cycled 124km to Mountbolus, Offaly. Some bloody wind, feel like I've cycled double that today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Just back from my first trip to the mountains this year and my first ever time up Seskin. It is some climb and makes the Embankment seem like it's downhill. Had a following wind all the way from Manor Kilbride, through Sally Gap and on to Roundwood but paid for it later heading back cross town by Dundrum when it seemed to have gone northerly. That and Seskin didn't help my average of 22.8 over the 85km. Other than a good few Naas guys coming down from Sally Gap, I didn't see too many others out on the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

first sportive of the year, Camlough Spring Sixty. told my self id take it handy and enjoy the day, ended up treating the first half as a race, serious numbers at the start. nice spin,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Took to my usual 100kms, dublin, lakes, wicklow gap, laragh, Sally gap, stocking lane... Killer head wind all day long, the wind shifted around mid day... Far too early in the year for this kinda carry on! I'll write off my total lack of enjoyment as it being an intense training spin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Took to my usual 100kms, dublin, lakes, wicklow gap, laragh, Sally gap, stocking lane... Killer head wind all day long, the wind shifted around mid day... Far too early in the year for this kinda carry on! I'll write off my total lack of enjoyment as it being an intense training spin!

Just focus on the Wicklow Gap - you must have had a tail wind on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

First non commuting cycle in a year. First irish cycle in 3 years. Dundrum, Stepaside, Glencullen, the viewing point....and back. Great day despite the strong headwind. Cycling in Ireland is really really hard to beat. Don't appreciate it until you don't have the option

Great to see so many cyclists out. Big change from when I was last on those roads. .....and nice targets to keep the pace up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

60 fairly flat km (Rathfarnham to Phoenix Park to Lucan-Maynooth, back via Celbridge, Rathcoole and Tallaght)
    Wind mad first 25k but happy average 24k/h.
    Had my best friend by my side, spare tube and smile on my face, what else to ask for

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Pan flat 110k from galway to moate- a bit on the boring side but averaged almost 31km/h-the tailwind may have helped somewhat with that..the post spin supermacs and lift back to dublin in the team car ( gf's Micra) were the highlights of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got this morning and dug out my old front tyre to replace the Pro4 that suffered a terminal rip yesterday. I changed the tyre while eating breakfast.

61km today. Up the Embankment, 2 laps of Manor Kilbride then up Blackrock Hill before returning back through Threecastles for Manor Kilbride. My legs remind me of yesterday's climbs. The wind was only a nuisance today compared to yesterday.

61km, 415m @ 24.3km/h.

Hopefully next weekends weather will be good so I can get in my first 100km of 2015.

I'm off to order a new pair of tyres..................

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Small spin today just to loosen legs after yesterday. Nice bright spring day.Wind much less than yesterday. The affair with my bike might just be starting again.

20.5km
    53:16
    121m
    Avg Max
    Speed 23.1km/h 36.7km/h
    Calories 363
    Elapsed Time 53:36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... Fcuk me, that Kilmashogue is steep....
    ...and the sickening part is viewing Strava when you get home and seeing the times made by those near the top of the leaderboard including some of our own Boardsies such as buffalo, Raam etc. :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Headed up this morning for the usual Sunday spin - sorted out a route that would have involved a 120 km spin which I was up for.

Just as we set off from rathoath - snap - rear dérailleur cable snapped. So headed back home - 40km in just under 1:30 and stole a Kom on the way home from a well known Kom bandit in the area.

Spent the afternoon fishing the stuck cable head out of the shifter :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭custom_build

100k done over sally gap down to laragh then back up to Stillorgan via Kilmacanogue. It was fairly blustery but sure isn't that how you get stronger. :)

100.7km
    average Max
    speed
    20.9kmph. 72.9kmph
    1270m
    4:48h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I got this morning and dug out my old front tyre to replace the Pro4 that suffered a terminal rip yesterday. I changed the tyre while eating breakfast.

61km today. Up the Embankment, 2 laps of Manor Kilbride then up Blackrock Hill before returning back through Threecastles for Manor Kilbride. My legs remind me of yesterday's climbs. The wind was only a nuisance today compared to yesterday.

61km, 415m @ 24.3km/h.

Hopefully next weekends weather will be good so I can get in my first 100km of 2015.

Hoping to do my first 100 this year myself. Forecast is looking good for Friday and Saturday so fingers crossed its right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Clipped out at traffic lights yesterday after a quick 50k out to carlingford and back. My shoe Clipped out but my sole and cleat remained. :(

Skint this month as it is, emergency Shimano shoes on their way from CRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Did the Orwell 200 Audax today. Felt more like a race.
    Was farily flat with the exception of a few evil hills in the last 30k. Absolutely shattered now.
    Brilliantly organized and a nice warm dar for it.

Distance: 208.3 km
    Elevation: 845m
    Avg Speed: 30.4km/h
    Elapsed Time: 8:14:45

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

il8a9.jpg

Thankfully I had the phone for backup.
    47k@27.4km/h on the bumpy back roads of south meath/north kildare
    Very breezy out here, I had some shelter for the first half of the ride but low hedges for the second half meant it was tough going in some spots.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/264813030

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Did the Orwell 200 Audax today. Felt more like a race.
    Was farily flat with the exception of a few evil hills in the last 30k. Absolutely shattered now.
    Brilliantly organized and a nice warm dar for it.

Distance: 208.3 km
    Elevation: 845m
    Avg Speed: 30.4km/h
    Elapsed Time: 8:14:45
    Excellent average speed for a 200k. (Just curious but I thought that in an Audax one wasn't permitted to average above 30km/h - i.e. minimum 15km/h, max 30km/h :confused:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Excellent average speed for a 200k. (Just curious but I thought that in an Audax one wasn't permitted to average above 30km/h - i.e. minimum 15km/h, max 30km/h :confused:)

Thats an average for the time I was moving. Doesn't take into account stops at control points

I think the 30 km/h max limit relates to the time the control control points are open. So the finishing point only opened at 13:56 (6hrs 56 mins after the start of the event) 208km/30kph = 6hrs 56m

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

61km, 415m @ 24.3km/h.

Not sure if this will help but after reading about them here and a LOT of research, these seem to be great tyres at a great price (compared to a lot B&M shops and websites, fairplay to Taxman for the heads up:) )

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/vittoria-open-pave-cg-25x622-black-417473

They are about 60 each in CSC.

Give me a shout if you want to head out next Saturday for a group spin with the Laurels Charity crew? 90km and very friendly :) 9:30am start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement