Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Absolutely gorgeous day here in Mayo. Back to work tomorrow so managed to get out for 63km today. 2hrs 11mins. Never had to stop once.
    I put be bib shorts on and Jersey (with Lidl short sleeve base layer underneath). No shoe cover, no skull cap. Just a beautiful day for a cycle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A bit fresh this morning! Looked at the phone before leaving and dressed myself expecting it to be 5 degrees. It was -3 at places! Bloody cold

Still managed 40km so not so bad. Should get warm again by the next ride!

Aslo had one of those moments when you know you are going to fall, think 'bollox' and then fall! Was going uphill, chain slipped and I began spinning and just couldnt clip out in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

godtabh wrote: »
    A bit fresh this morning! Looked at the phone before leaving and dressed myself expecting it to be 5 degrees. It was -3 at places! Bloody cold

Aslo had one of those moments when you know you are going to fall, think 'bollox' and then fall! Was going uphill, chain slipped and I began spinning and just couldnt clip out in time!
    I have done that to, the best thing to to I found is to keep your hands on the handle bars,just going from horizontal to vertical, gravity does the work quite well! less risk of damaging arm, elbow, shoulder, I grazed my knee and scratched the frame only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My cycle this morning was a bloody chore :mad:

First off stupidly I went for a pint last night, fancying a Tayto sandwich on my return I opened the press for my Tayto crisps, and found a bottle of vodka ~ baaaad boy.

Second problem, I got a Brooks B17 saddle a few days ago and have read the reviews and was expecting a sore arse ~ but for the love of sweet baby Jesus my arse is screaming in agony.

So the cycle, everyone over took me. Eventually I'd to pull over in the city centre 'cause I thought the beer and vodka was coming up ~ didn't happen but by Christ my arse is damned painful :mad::mad:

Not for the squimish ~ there's blood from a nic (or blister) inside my bib tights :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

You've some even more fun weeks ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OldBean wrote: »
    You've some even more fun weeks ahead.

First day I had it I done 60km on it and thought it was grand, no real difference over any other saddle I've used.. But over the days the pain is getting worse, I'm really sore today but I'll persevere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

godtabh wrote: »

What's the cause of the chain slipping I get it when I drop to the small ring sometimes and I'm forced to go into my 53T climbing it's a pain in the hole, well a pain in the muscles, is it time for a new chain when that happens? The teeth seem fine to me looking at them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Got out yesterday evening, still waaay down on the brownie points with the queen so had to make it quick. Decided that it had to be an attempt at some PRs! :D
    Click in just under 40km in 1hr 15 mins, beat that loop by 2.5 minutes so delighted but it was liathroidi busting stuff for me. Was out Sunday as well and I did a 5km run at lunch so the legs were not fully recovered.
    But great to get out, incredible weather, sickened to be looking at it here today and stuck inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Cycled into work yesterday at 7.30, +2 degrees. Left work at 7.00pm +14 degrees! No need for tights, so first ride of the year in shorts. +3 degrees this morning (tights back on again) - looking forward to finishing work as its 16 degrees here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Nice cycle into work today until I hit town and got a flat.
    The amount of broken glass from Paddy's day is unreal....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... I'm really sore today but I'll persevere.
    It takes about 1,500km to break in. :pac:
    After that it's pure bliss. My saddle of choice if doing a 150k+ ride.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

iamtony wrote: »
    What's the cause of the chain slipping I get it when I drop to the small ring sometimes and I'm forced to go into my 53T climbing it's a pain in the hole, well a pain in the muscles, is it time for a new chain when that happens? The teeth seem fine to me looking at them.

No idea. The chain was under load as i was going up hill. Tried to change it and it jumped off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It takes about 1,500km to break in.

After 1,500km your a*se will be well broken in indeed.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

It takes about 1,500km to break in. :pac:
    After that it's pure bliss. My saddle of choice if doing a 150k+ ride.
    by that stage your swiss will be hanging off you. 1,500 km to break in thats a world of hurt you wouldnt get in 50 shades!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Absolutely glorious out there. Get out and enjoy it while you can. Nice little short spin today, 79km with the Galway cycle. Last training session with the big day next Friday and Sunday. Feeling a bit nervous but I've done the work do hopefully all will be well. Was cycling home after the spin and got chatting to a gent who's done the Galway cycle 22 times! 22! Won't put his name up but if you are reading thanks for letting me tag along with you for the last 5km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Absolutely glorious out there. Get out and enjoy it while you can. Nice little short spin today, 79km with the Galway cycle. Last training session with the big day next Friday and Sunday. Feeling a bit nervous but I've done the work do hopefully all will be well. Was cycling home after the spin and got chatting to a gent who's done the Galway cycle 22 times! 22! Won't put his name up but if you are reading thanks for letting me tag along with you for the last 5km.

Did that aswell today , great day to be out .
    I wouldn't be too nervous about the cycle itself , if you have done some of the longer training spins you'll be fine as each stage is no longer than 45km before a break . I don't think I've met you on any of the training cycles , there are 3 other boardsies doing it who I have talked to . 2 of us usually wear boards jersies ( I had the new kit on today ) . 1 lad sometimes wears the origional jersey ( the Orange one )

It was either go to a lecture or go for a cycle. TOugh one!
    Quick wander around the local hills. Good to see so many people out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Took out the neglected road bike today for the first time this year, been sticking to the mountain bike as the trails are right beside my house.
    Lovely weather for it, only met one other person out, probably because of the backroads I took. Did the hungry rock climb to Coolaney, if anyone has done the tour of Sligo cycle they'd be familiar with it, really found it tough, but made it up in reasonably good time, going to sign up for the 100k this year, so should be able to manage it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

West Cork - Cross Barry - Coachford and back to Cork. 85 Kms. A fabulous day out there and plenty of cyclists out there as a result. A few more Kms tomorrow will do no harm.

No punctures last year, and today I had 3. Missed most of the match and had to drag my gf all the way out to Brittas. :(

Lovely weather out there though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Swords -> Eniskerry -> Sally Gap -> Manor Kilbride -> Blessington lakes -> Wicklow Gap -> Laragh -> Rathdrum -> Shay Elliot -> Laragh -> Roundwood -> Swords

211km, 2400m of climbing, fooked now

65km done, felt strong until I climbed out of Enniskerry towards devils elbow. Still, a great day to be out on the bike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Inquitus wrote: »
    Swords -> Eniskerry -> Sally Gap -> Manor Kilbride -> Blessington lakes -> Wicklow Gap -> Laragh -> Rathdrum -> Shay Elliot -> Laragh -> Roundwood -> Swords

Fair play, I just did Sallygap - Laragh - Sallygap for a paltry 82k and still feel a bit shattered. More hills and less beer would appear to be in order. (As usual).

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

105k Wexford-Kiltealy-Mt. Leinster-Bunclody-Enniscorthy-Wexford. 4 and a half hours. Beautiful day for it. Serious amount of litter strewn along the Kiltealy-Borris road. There really are some dirty feckers about.

Managed to stay in Zones 1-3 throughout, barring a few eyeballs out intervals near the end.
    RB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Compared to the above my 28km trip around Howth between rugby games seems paltry. However it was the first spin out for a new set of Campagnolo Zondas I fitted during the week. Such a difference compared to the stock Giant wheels on the Defy. 3 PRs on the climbs and 350m climbed in comfort without worrying about constantly breaking spokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

Took a 75km spin in today. Cracker of a day. Decided Id head up for Lough Shinny as its part of NCD id never been to. Never has a destination been so underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

neris wrote: »
    Took a 75km spin in today. Cracker of a day. Decided Id head up for Lough Shinny as its part of NCD id never been to. Never has a destination been so underwhelming.

Did someone build it up too much? It's a sleepy harbour. I like it there

Inquitus wrote: »

Savage ride and average speed considering the climbing. (You were unfortunate with the Garmin glitch!)
    neris wrote: »
    .. Never has a destination been so underwhelming.
    Did you just go to the crossroads at the Yacht Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Dublin 7 - howth summit and back again for first long distance cycle as oppose to my 3.5km commute

• Advertisement

veetwin wrote: »
    .... 28km trip around Howth between rugby games seems paltry...
    There's nothing paltry about playing 2 games of rugby and managing to get a cycle in between them. Kudos!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement