Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

125.6 done for the day. I should really be in bed.

It was a beautiful day for cycling. I think I might have got a tad of sunburn on me nose :(

Absolutely no idea where I was half the time. It was a G2D group training spin.

Will defo have to go for a picnic with the missus to the spot somewhere in the circle in the pic below. With the big arrow pointing at it.

You can't beat big arrows pointing at things I find.

It was beautiful and there was a cool aquaduct n'stuff.

Was tempted to go for 150 as the legs etc were fine but decided I'm not going to be a slave to my Strava this year (we'll see how long that lasts...)

33ksnzb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Will defo have to go for a picnic with the missus to the spot somewhere in the circle in the pic below. With the big arrow pointing at it.

You can't beat big arrows pointing at things I find.

It was beautiful and there was a cool aquaduct n'stuff.

I was through there early yesterday (on a much shorter spin:o) - and was tempted to stop and take a photo, the day seemed to suit around there perfectly.

Just to note getting onto that road from the Sallins side can be a little tricky as you have to follow the road away from the canal for a short distance, then turn down an unpromising looking road that goes under a railway bridge. But 200m or so along, bang you're back beside the canal.

Paddy

Ps a Google maps link to the viaduct in case it helps anyone find it - http://goo.gl/maps/3YSF2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

First trip out to enniskerry, a lot of cyclists out and about which was great to see. Went out the back of Enniskerry and up bridge road....will think twice about that next time out, had to walk some of it. 57k, 20.7km/hr, 650m climbing, 2hrs45min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

first Howth spin , hill not too bad after being in Wicklow Monday
    lovely day lots of cyclists got lost on way back somewhere in east wall i think
    should know better as i work in cc :o
    https://www.strava.com/activities/272331625/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

105km in glorious weather around rathoath - dunshaughlin - trim (coffee) and home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I set off about 10:30. The weather looked decent but during the first km or two I was contemplating returning for my jacket as I could feel the chill on my arms. I decided to turn back but as I approached the house the chill disappeared so I didn't bother with the jacket.

I headed out for Enniskerry then went up that climb at Djouce and turned right for Sally Gap. I was now in a ball of sweat and thankful that I didn't have my jacket. At Sally Gap I stopped to wait for my buddy and have a bite to eat. I was stopped for about 15mins in total and headed down from Sally Gap on the Manor Kilbride road. Jebus, I was cold on the descent and once again thinking of my jacket!

I turned off the R759 and headed up past the army firing range and then took a left back onto the R759. At the bridge, I went right up Ballysmuttan and back down towards Blessington. Rather than head directly to Blessington I went up Blackrock Hill and then over the bridge and headed for home on the Threecastles road.

Having been out on the bike as much as possible in the winter weather, today was my first day out in decent weather. The scenery up the Wicklow Mountains is just spectacular in good weather. The vista over Lough Tay is just breathtaking. Hopefully we'll have many more spectacular days in the Spring, Summer and Autumn ahead. It makes those winter kms worthwhile.

102km, 1311m @ 21.9km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Knee was niggling at me all week so took a break from evening turbo work. Slept in and missed the club spin this morning to struck off on my own, felt really good and was feeling progress for the first time this year. 81km, 1169m, 25.2KPH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

20km spin outside Portarlington.

For many this isn't much to write home about but I'm aiming to hit 30km by the end of March and take it from there.

Felt great being out in the fresh air and good weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The woman in Glendalough Fayre described us as "like swallows", presumably because we all show up on a fine day after being absent for the Winter. Great to see so many cyclists out on the hills today. Like crosstownk, it was hard to decide on the right combination of gear for the weather but I found bib tights, jersey and jacket to be fine once I got rid of the winter gloves and arm warmers near Lough Bray.

Only negative was the guy who sucked my wheel from well above Glenmacnass into Laragh and didn't even wave or thank me when I pulled in for coffee.

Glasnevin-Cruagh-Sally Gap-Laragh-Wicklow Gap-Blessington-Home: 117k; 24.7av; 1400m. Cramp in Phibsboro reminded me that there's lot more training to be done before the Orwell Randonee in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Was going to go for a long flat spin today but the missus suggested I head for the hills seeing as it was a nice day so I did as I was told with little need for coercion. I'll do the big miles next week.
    Headed up Ballinascorney, Sally Gap and Kippure today, same as last week except the added climb up to the mast. Weather was absolutely perfect for cycling. No speed wobble on the Ballinascorney descent today but I'd say going about 10km/h slower probably helped. Descent from Kippure was hairy as usual. Made the mistake of stopping on the way up at the steepest section, such a job I had trying to get clipped back in:o
    I've also discovered a great way of improving your strava segment times- Go really crap the first time you do it. Huge improvements all round today :D
    If I improve again the next time out I'll be quite happy with my progress.
    56.3 km with 1093m climbing in 2:45:16
      https://www.strava.com/activities/272355655

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

55kms today around Skerries and Portrane. Absolutely glorious day to be on the bike. Too warm on the bike today for the first time in a long time!

https://www.strava.com/activities/272285845

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fantastic day for it. Got in a fairly relaxed 212k in Dublin, Meath and Kildare (Club ride and a bit extra). One of those great days where I felt like continuing on into the night but thought I'd better show my face at home.

https://app.strava.com/activities/272481718

(The Lord works in mysterious ways. I stopped to help a stranded chap with a flat near Dublin City Centre. He didn't have a pump, spare tube nor a phone or money. Got him back on the road and, for my reward, I punctured myself no more that 30 seconds after he was sorted. I got loads of offers of assistance from passing cyclists. I didn't need any but nice to be offered it anyway.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

as it was such a nice day I thought that i'd go out the coast.
      so I came out of the estate and took a right.

73km form killliney, around howth head and back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/272528014

one thing I will say is that while the spin was nice. i missed the freedom that the hills offer.

i.e no traffic lights, no traffic, no people walking in cycle path/road etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

First post on cycling forum - hello all.

Did sally gap last Sunday so went for a flat spin today instead of heading to the hills. Down the n11 from Greystones into a surprising and annoying headwind as far as jack whites, down to Brittas bay and back via wicklow town on n11 and home.

Huge thanks to the bray wheelers chain gang that passed me at Brittas bay and allowed me on board (I asked politely!) as far as Ashford where they stopped for coffee. I was even asked by one of them If I wanted to join them for the coffee! Hat tip to all!

81.5k, 875m, 28.6k avg

3 weeks to SERC three peaks challenge which is hopefully my first event of a few to get ready for the wicklow 200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Naas, Clane, Celbridge, Leixlip, Maynooth, Kilcock and back to Naas. 60km of pure fecking pain! I've cycled twice that far but today I had a godawful cramp in my left leg from butt down to knee. This is an issue that's been getting worse and worse and shows no sign of going away. I've stretched before and during the cycle with no improvement. I've taken a month off to rest but no luck. Ive tried different shorts but nope, still getting worse.

Thing is, I'm very fit, run often with no issues but after a few kms on the bike, I'm in pain that grows into agony. My bike is a good one, a Trek Domane 4.1. The bike fit was done in the place I bought it. Ok so it wasn't too technical but can that be the cause of my discomfort?

I had planned on doing the Tour of Connemara and the Ring of Kerry this year but if I can't do a easy 60km without my leg locking up, I wouldn't have a prayer of getting round those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

amazing day for a spin after a tough, windy winter!

Did 105km up Cruagh road, straight on at Sally Gap down to Larragh and across the Wicklow gap to Hollywood, then the n81 home at an average of 24.7kph with almost 1400m climbing.

Great to see so many cyclists out, not so great to see the return of the blasted motorbikes. 50% of them must be speeding constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Nice 70km charity spin around lough melvin in leitrim . Beautiful day beautiful scenery around 100 cyclists .didn't break any records with speed but haven't done much previous this year

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Domane wrote: »
      Naas, Clane, Celbridge, Leixlip, Maynooth, Kilcock and back to Naas. 60km of pure fecking pain! I've cycled twice that far but today I had a godawful cramp in my left leg from butt down to knee. This is an issue that's been getting worse and worse and shows no sign of going away. I've stretched before and during the cycle with no improvement. I've taken a month off to rest but no luck. Ive tried different shorts but nope, still getting worse.

Thing is, I'm very fit, run often with no issues but after a few kms on the bike, I'm in pain that grows into agony. My bike is a good one, a Trek Domane 4.1. The bike fit was done in the place I bought it. Ok so it wasn't too technical but can that be the cause of my discomfort?

I had planned on doing the Tour of Connemara and the Ring of Kerry this year but if I can't do a easy 60km without my leg locking up, I wouldn't have a prayer of getting round those two.

Could be more to do with sciatic nerve,
      Had me in bits for months.
      Try the stretch attached hold for 30secs for a few reps.
      Have a look online for a few different stretches aswell to find one that might work better for releiving pain.
      I had few physio appointments to work out very very very tight glute muscles also (althought that was after i ruptured a disc) was told the pain was a warning sign

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Clicked in just over 60km, was fricking freezing at 7am, had to get back for 9.30 so limited on time. Back and hips complaining again, need to ease back again i think :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Could be more to do with sciatic nerve,
      Had me in bits for months.
      Try the stretch attached hold for 30secs for a few reps.
      Have a look online for a few different stretches aswell to find one that might work better for releiving pain.
      I had few physio appointments to work out very very very tight glute muscles also (althought that was after i ruptured a disc) was told the pain was a warning sign

Cheers mate. Think you might have hit the nail on the head there. I'll try the stretches and if no joy, I'll go to my physio. Thanks

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

lovely 70km in the sunshine but spoiled on the way home by old man in car deciding to turn left across bus/cycle lane into pub/restaurant entrance right beside me. partner followed him in and told him (fairly politely imo) to make sure he looks out properly in future. Driver tried to maintain he had a right of way!!!!! when I finally picked myself up and came along side the car, driver didn't seem in the least perturbed that he'd knocked me off. no damage to me (or bike) at least and got home in one piece but my closest call so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

lovely 70km in the sunshine but spoiled on the way home by old man in car deciding to turn left across bus/cycle lane into pub/restaurant entrance right beside me. partner followed him in and told him (fairly politely imo) to make sure he looks out properly in future. Driver tried to maintain he had a right of way!!!!! when I finally picked myself up and came along side the car, driver didn't seem in the least perturbed that he'd knocked me off. no damage to me (or bike) at least and got home in one piece but my closest call so far.

I'd be tempted to report him the Garda TrafficWatch line for leaving the scene of an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

50km 334m today with 2 rounds of these and a nice 12c :)
      5 minute high intensity Heart rate up to 85% of max.
      5 minute recovery Heart rate back down to 60 % of max
      15 minutes cool down Heart rate back down to 60 % of max and below

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I do hope you didnt hurt your foot when you removed it from up his jacksie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The sun was shining when I got up, so I decided to ditch the woollen hat, gaiter, overshoes, leg warmers, and winter gloves. All at once. For fun.

After the initial shock of stepping outside with bare legs, I warmed up. In all, I think I only missed the gloves, especially when I started descending into the wind by Lough Bray. Stopped outside Glencree to get some feeling back in my fingers before continuing over a fairly blustery Feather Beds. Donning a pair of latex gloves I keep in my saddlebag helped.

I was eyeing the dark clouds for most of the spin, but I managed to avoid any wet weather until it started hailing in Phibsboro'. Hail turned to rain by Finglas, and then back to sunshine when I crossed the M50. My socks stayed dry, so that's a good spin in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Ratoath to Sutton was either downwind or cross. Either way I flew over. Over Howth twice and that's when the work started. Headwind which was quite strong all the way from baldoyle. No hidin behind ditches today. Head down and arse up and slog my way home. 76k with 700m vertical and knackered now

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

After being out of the saddle for the last 4 weeks with a gippy knee, started back on the commute. Advice from physio was to increase my cadence. Bought a Cateye with alt, hrm and cadence. Upped the cadence from low to mid 70's which was my previous to low to mid 80's by dropping a gear to feel comfortable at that cadence without grinding. Avg speed has taken a nose dive. Will it come back as I get more used to the new cadence??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

After being out of the saddle for the last 4 weeks with a gippy knee, started back on the commute. Advice from physio was to increase my cadence. Bought a Cateye with alt, hrm and cadence. Upped the cadence from low to mid 70's which was my previous to low to mid 80's by dropping a gear to feel comfortable at that cadence without grinding. Avg speed has taken a nose dive. Will it come back as I get more used to the new cadence??

It will. I find 80rpm too slow these days. Typical cadence is around 90 with occasional sprints up to 110rpm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It was surprisingly very cold this morning.

It was about 30 minutes after my commute to work before I had feeling back in my hands.

The "Weather" is a confused young pup these days, I've found tbh.

Managed 500km for the month so far and noticed I'd passed 10,000 km since I started cycling, mid/end of 2013!

Quite chuffed with that :o

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,065 ✭✭✭✭neris

30km up around howth and a few of the side roads this evening. all going well heading towards the summit for a 2nd time until i met the council grit spreader going in the opposite direction and got a splattering of salt. did a U turn at the summit to go back the way I came up to find the same gritter behind 500m down the road and not only did i get a splattering of salt again i got gob loads of salt dust. heading back down after that though at the cemetery/school was at a good speed and giving it more welly till some **** in a ford mondeo decided over took me and then decided it,d be funny to pull back right in front of me giving me feck all of a gap to get on the brakes before smacking into the back of him. Thought Id catch him at the lights at offington if they went red but unfortunatly they didnt.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement