Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    .... better than sitting on my hole all afternoon!
    Isn't that what you do on the bike? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Had planned on heading up the Featherbeds but decided to stay lower with the winds about. Over Bohernabreena and across to Manor Kilbride/Blessington. Was actually fairly sheltered as the wind didn't seem to bad, apart from one or too hairy crosswinds. Had a quick natter with one of the training group for Galway - Dublin in a few weeks and then had a blast descending Seskin on the way back as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

33km loop around Greystones/Newtownmountkennedy just to play around with my new garmin 810! It's a great piece of kit and quite a step up from the 200!

Ps: will this wind ever go away?!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

84k today
    Tallaght up to blessington to naas ,kilcock maynooth celbridge tallaght
    Glad I went into the wind first with fresh legs ,once I got blessington it wasn't too bad a few nasty crosswinds

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Doing my cycle into work the other day, coming in from Ranelagh and crossing the bridge towards Camden street.

Was flying down the hill and passed by a cyclist who was going quite fast but not fast enough :P

Was 200 meters out from the light and started breaking 50 meters towards the light as it was red and cars were stacking up.

Said cyclist comes up behind me and starts to moan f&ck sake, bollock$. I stop at the white line before the red light, he then accelerates past me, keeps moaning and skips the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

60 Kms around dripsey Coachford and the windy gap, a very appropriate name today with a few nasty cross winds that tested my bike handling skills. Coming home was good though, wind assisted. Fairly muddy roads, took quite a while to clean down the bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Did anybody do the SRAC today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Crocked wrote: »
    <snip> Had a quick natter with one of the training group for Galway - Dublin in a few weeks and then had a blast descending Seskin on the way back as well

You were in a Boards.ie top? If so, nice meeting you. :) At that stage I was sent "helping" people who'd fallen off the end of the group. I'd have nattered a bit more but it didn't work out that way. I'd have liked to too.

Nice top by the way!

Anyways!

Crosstownk wasn't lying when he said the westerly Gales hitting Tallaght were tough this morning. They were nothing short of ferocious!

Crossing over the N7 you really had to lean to the left.

It was ridiculous.

Small backstory... at the end of last weeks G2D training spin one of the leaders turned around and shouted "7am next Saturday, yeah? the 150?"

I smiled thinking he was talking to someone behind me.

His "look" then made it clear it was me.

Looking at the weather forecast last night for today and not having any contact details I was sure it wasn't happening but I decided to head out anyways. I thought even the later G2D training spin might be cancelled.

@ 6.30am I headed west behind the Tallaght Stadium and...Dear...God... the wind.

Shocking.

Then the rain.

When I got there at 7 there was only one fella but the rest of the "7am Crew" turned up quick enough. I think there were about 10 of us (My brain isn't working right now)

Off we went.

Into lots of wind.

Clondalkin>Saggart (I got sent up the front), up Slade hill, Manor Kilbride to Blessington. Back down the N81 and took a left turn up some other hill (back of Slade hill?) which then took us to the "3 Sisters" hills and eventually back to Clondalkin to meet up with the G2D training spin.

I had to ring out my gloves they were so wet.

I had a smoke.

I needed it.

Off again, up Slade Hill etc and from Blessington all the way to Baltinglass. That was tough. Mostly because my ass was at me :(

After a break, off back we went to Blessington>Clondalkin.

The sun came out for an hour or so.

I knew putting on that Factor 30 on my nose this morning was a good Idea! Although highly optimistic! :D

When we got back to Clondalkin I had 170 or so clocked. I reckoned going home would take me to 185 or so.

My Obsessive Disorder kicked in. :(

Off I went into the wind and rain again alone and eventually finished up at home with 202km clocked.

The only thing that bothered me all day was my ass after about 60km but I was blessed in that I lost all feeling in it at about 130km

If none of the above makes sense it's because there is no blood around my brain as it is being used elsewhere to keep me alive, as proven by my missus last year.

My first ever 200km too! :)

I'm having beer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Windy wet & hilly....but mild, sweated buckets 60Km
    thought i was flying thru the Ppark, then was passed by a powerhouse, white Bellisol jersey? now he was movin

https://www.strava.com/activities/275536601

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

devonp wrote: »
    thought i was flying thru the Ppark, then was passed by a powerhouse, white Bellisol jersey? now he was movin

That would have been our own! Mr Zyzz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

devonp wrote: »

You weren't going too slowly yourself! :cool:

I had planned to sit in behind the small bus that was in front of me but he pulled in to the left and let me overtake him :pac:

Edit - Didn't realise you were a boardsie, Id have said hey if I had known!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My god it was wet this morning. Appropriate weather for testing the new gabba! Did 45km around stepaside, bray, Vico Road. Cold but happy out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

It seemed like everyone was out to get me yesterday. I had 5 incidents in a 50km cycle from Dundrum to Airport and back.

1. Young girl decides to run across busy intersection at Dundrum shopping centre, then when seeing traffic was coming towards her, decided to run back the opposite way, into traffic and me turning right, much to the amusement of her dad :confused:

2. Cycling down Camden street in the Bus/cycle lane, one car decides to pull out, but stops. A car coming down on my right decides to just cut in in front of me and stop.

3. Brinks security truck in right hand lane at bottom of Parnell Square, decides he doesn't want to go into O' Connell street and turns left instead. I had to take evasive action.

4. Cycling along Sandford road, car decides to cut across me. When I caught up with them, they blamed me for the incident.

5. No left turn after the Luas bridge in Dundrum, sure that's no problem. Caught up with driver, "Did you not see me?". "I did see you, but I get confused at that junction".

They're all here on video if you want a look,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

You were in a Boards.ie top? If so, nice meeting you. :) At that stage I was sent "helping" people who'd fallen off the end of the group. I'd have nattered a bit more but it didn't work out that way. I'd have liked to too.

Nice top by the way!

Yes that was me, One of your back markers had to pull in unfortunately. I mentioned it on another thread about cycling etiquette that you were a very friendly bunch. Hope ye have a great weekend in a few weeks and get a nice tail wind.

kudos on your first 200k yesterday, especially with that wind. You weren't lying when you casually mentioned you'd been out since early!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Brought my friend up Bohernabreena / Ballinascorney / Sally Gap yesterday. He's never been up the mountains before. Nearly killed him. I'm not great at climbing but he's worse. I wouldn't mind but he's a decent cyclist IMHO and he's dropped me a few times when we've done sportives so i guess yesterday was payback. I had to stop and wait for him to recover a few times.
    I actually took a bit of pleasure from his suffering, I kept making conversation when things were tough. I really punished him heading up the Sally. I was on the limit myself but I knew how much further we had to go, he thought it would never end.
    The wind up top was brutal and we struggled to get into double digits in places. Feather beds were the worst. I was glad to get back to the car as my own legs were beginning to feel it but I couldn't let on to him.

Fair play to him, he wants to head up with me again soon, just not for a couple of days at least :)
    All in all, 50 km with about 870 m climbing. It felt like a lot more with the wind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/275513603

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Brought my friend up Bohernabreena / Ballinascorney / Sally Gap yesterday. He's never been up the mountains before. Nearly killed him. I'm not great at climbing but he's worse. I wouldn't mind but he's a decent cyclist IMHO and he's dropped me a few times when we've done sportives so i guess yesterday was payback. I had to stop and wait for him to recover a few times.
    I actually took a bit of pleasure from his suffering, I kept making conversation when things were tough. I really punished him heading up the Sally. I was on the limit myself but I knew how much further we had to go, he thought it would never end.
    The wind up top was brutal and we struggled to get into double digits in places. Feather beds were the worst. I was glad to get back to the car as my own legs were beginning to feel it but I couldn't let on to him.

Fair play to him, he wants to head up with me again soon, just not for a couple of days at least :)
    All in all, 50 km with about 870 m climbing. It felt like a lot more with the wind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/275513603

:D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Another 200 km from Galway to maynooth. That's 400 knocked out for the weekend. Was an absolutely amazing weekend, I'll post a more detailed account later but just for now if any of the marshals from the Galway cycle are reading this thanks so much for keeping us safe there and back. So happy. And hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ozzy jr wrote: »
    It seemed like everyone was out to get me yesterday. I had 5 incidents in a 50km cycle from Dundrum to Airport and back.

1. Young girl decides to run across busy intersection at Dundrum shopping centre, then when seeing traffic was coming towards her, decided to run back the opposite way, into traffic and me turning right, much to the amusement of her dad :confused:
    Great parenting there by Dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

2nd year of the galway cycle completed , 404km in total , weather on friday was perfect , this morning it pissed rain for the first 40k then for a little while as we left mother hubbards , every food stop i seemed to freeze as soon as we stopped.
    overall the weekend was a great success with 115,00 euro raised so far for the irish guide dogs for the blind , who were the chosen charity this year.
    All the support crew , the collectors and cyclists did a great job .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

93km done today. I had originally set a route for 87km, but GPS got a little confused, and I wasn't going to make an attempt at the hill I just came down :P Blackrock to Glendalough and back via Sally Gap. First 40km were quite nice, but Lough Tay to Sally Gap was horrendous. The wind was very strong, it hailed for a bit too. Once I got to the top, I just couldn't warm back up again. From Sally Gap I found it fairly handy, mostly downhill but I kept my speed quite low. Lots of gravel etc washed out onto the road from the rain (plus I will crap myself if I go too fast).

The only other long distance cycles I have done were form Blackrock to Howth and back, and Blackrock to Greystones and back. Those routes are a peice of piddle compared to Today's cycle. I am looking forward to doing that again, but maybe with a wind stopper :P I wasn't fond of cycling the R755, it's a fast and narrow road for cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

sullzz wrote: »
    2nd year of the galway cycle completed , 404km in total , weather on friday was perfect , this morning it pissed rain for the first 40k then for a little while as we left mother hubbards , every food stop i seemed to freeze as soon as we stopped.
    overall the weekend was a great success with 115,000 euro raised so far for the irish guide dogs for the blind , who were the chosen charity this year.
    All the support crew , the collectors and cyclists did a great job .

Ditto for me over the weekend (though slightly shorter total distance due to not living local enough to cycle to/from the start) with a slight fix to the total raised(!), and thanks to sullzz for the company at various points on the way down and back. He was proudly flying the boards flag by means of shorts, so arguably I should hop over to the sightings thread too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

cython wrote: »
    Ditto for me over the weekend (though slightly shorter total distance due to not living local enough to cycle to/from the start) with a slight fix to the total raised(!), and thanks to sullzz for the company at various points on the way down and back. He was proudly flying the boards flag by means of shorts, so arguably I should hop over to the sightings thread too!

Thanks for the company yourself , it was nice to have a chat , not everyone was in the right mindset to be willing to have a conversation , be it from overindulging in monroes on the Saturday night or just fatigue .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

Did anybody do the SRAC today?

Really enjoyed it, have never been to Clare before, think I will bring family for a weekend. Rain stopped just before the start, bit windy but got nice and warm. Really enjoyed the cork screw hill bit finished just over 3 hours avg 25km 907m nice change in scenery for weekend spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

woah, windy out there today. could really feel the front wheel getting pushed around. some of the headwind gusts coming back towards stepaside nearly stopped me in my tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

woah, windy out there today. could really feel the front wheel getting pushed around. some of the headwind gusts coming back towards stepaside nearly stopped me in my tracks

I thought I was going to liftoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Was tempted to go for 150 as the legs etc were fine but decided I'm not going to be a slave to my Strava this year (we'll see how long that lasts...)

^^^
    Cycled into work this morning which tipped me just over the 750km mark for the month.

Strava gave me an ickle badge.

I can't help it. :(

Still... at least it's a healthy sort of obsessive disorder. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

81K for me today, Ratoath, Killmessan, Summerhill, Kilcock, Maynooth, Batterstown and home. Not a great average speed but it was a constant effort with the wind being either against or from the side, when I was expecting a tailwind it went missing ! I think the vertical metres is higher than expected (maybe due to the low pressure weather systems around messing with Mr. Garmins insides!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Headed out from Greystones to Arklow via rathdrum and avoca and then back on the coast road and up the n11.

The rain eased up and it was a nice spin until I puntured at 98k only 4k from home just as i was looking forward to watching 100k click up on the clock for the first time this year.

It will have to wait until next week then!

98.1k with average 27.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

happyhappy wrote: »
    Headed out from Greystones to Arklow via rathdrum and avoca and then back on the coast road and up the n11.

The rain eased up and it was a nice spin until I puntured at 98k only 4k from home just as i was looking forward to watching 100k click up on the clock for the first time this year.

It will have to wait until next week then!

98.1k with average 27.6

What about changing the tube and cycling on for another 1.9k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

inc21 wrote: »
    What about changing the tube and cycling on for another 1.9k?

Was due home for domestic reasons lets just say and A friendly fella passing in a jeep with a trailer offered me a lift down the road which I couldn't resist!!

Changed da tube in comfort last night and gave the bike the wash of its life!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement