Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

90ish* Km from Home over to Glencullen, Military Road, Powerscourt, that awful bloody sadistic wall thingy after the watrefall, Ballinastoe, U turn Enniskerry home. Had planned to go up by Lough Tay to Sally Gap but was nearly blown off the bike a few times and after Djouce so headed back home.

Came up by Killakee Forest and was a few bunches of flowers on the gate there. Reminder of what sick & twisted ****s walk this planet. Havent been up Military Road in about 4 years, surface was great but have to say the amount of bottles, cans and crap sitting in the ditches is shameful

* Garmin was giving trouble and forze a few times Mapmyride is giving me 104Km for route, if so biggest ride so far this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

44.4km 1.30hr 29kph avg ,
    home maynooth straffan boston hill cellbridge leixlip
    nice day except for the wind, nearly blown off the bike on the rathcoffey rd
    hopefully can make the Headstrong challenge sunday
    https://www.strava.com/activities/278520384

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Terenure Rathfarnham Cruagh Viewing Point down bottom stocking lane, then back up cruagh for another loop before heading home. Ave speed 23km.

Not sure whey, but the first loop was way harder than the second.

Still not good enuf on hills, with Wicklow 200 coming up need to do more on the hills, and also do bigger milepsge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Terenure Rathfarnham Cruagh Viewing Point down bottom stocking lane, then back up cruagh for another loop before heading home. Ave speed 23km.

Not sure whey, but the first loop was way harder than the second.

Still not good enuf on hills, with Wicklow 200 coming up need to do more on the hills, and also do bigger milepsge.

was a good breeze blowing up there today which wouldnt help, keep plugging away you,ll get there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Apologies to any of the cyclists up beyond Kilakee - Sally's Gap this afternoon, if my broken down van, which had to be towed, interfered with your cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Lovely afternoon here so headed off for a quick blast around the block, smashed the KOM on a segment I've had my eye on for a while. Boom!!!

FD not shifting too well for some reason though, ending up in a chain drop and Oh My God, an horrific injury, big dirty chain shaped scrape on my baby around the BB. I felt sick when I saw it. First wound.....
    The bike has 2 small metal plates to protect the frame in case of such things but it still managed to gouge the clear coat. I dread to think what would have happened if they weren't there. Minus Boom :(

https://www.strava.com/activities/278577025/overview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

22k ish in the ballyhouras with the dog , my strava has given up working:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

150km down to Athlone. Took a different route (slightly) with about 1000m of climbing. Decent day for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

53kms today around Newtownmountkennedy and Enniskerry. Lovely day out although that wind is still there. Helped a nice lady between Powerscourt and Enniskerry whose chain had come off and gotten stuck. On the off chance she's on here, i hope you got home ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Easter Fleche 2015, 427km ending in Mullingar have started in Cork.

Sections with a tough headwind but not too bad.

Just under 16 1/2 hrs moving so we had a few nice stops to!

Enjoyable spin with 4 honest men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Yesterday 60 km from Ballincollig to Macroom through Coachford and back the main road. Today 88 km Ballincollig- Coachford-Macroom-Crookstown-Beal na Blath-CrossBarry-Ballincollig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I set out today in great form. I was with a buddy who was also in great form. We headed out the Tallaght Bypass, through Manor Kilbride and then around Blessington Lakes. At the Valleymount turn my buddy had to head home as he had a ticket for the Leinster game.

My right thigh had been twinging but I decided to head up for the Wicklow Gap hoping it would work itself through. I got to the Wicklow Gap and stopped for a nibble and eyed up Turlough Hill. Despite my slightly painful leg I just couldn't resist a climb up Turlough. A few hundred metres from the top a cyclist passed me in full Boards.ie kit so I kept with him - it turned out to be Wishbone Ash. We had a chat and headed back down from the Wicklow Gap in the Blessington direction. It was nice to have a random encounter with a fellow Boardsie and WA is a gentleman. Anyway he split to do a lap of Blessington Lakes and I headed through Valleymount.

From Valleymount all the way home my legs began to give up - it was a struggle all the way to Brittas. I was thankful that I had the descent from Crooksling.

No pain, no gain was today's theme. Glad to have the kms done.

108km, 1,110m @ 22km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Killarney - Molls gap- Blackwater bridge - Kenmare - Killarney. A fabulous day to be out, nice and cool with little wind. Plenty of cyclists took advantage of it. It's supposed to stay settled so more of the same is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

131km today. Absolute beast of a ride (at least for me.

Bray - Roundwood - Glendalough - Wicklow Gap - Blessington - Tallaght - City Centre - Clontarf - Howth.

Pretty much outdid myself on every aspect in this ride. Great day!

strava.com/activities/279197679

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

crosstownk wrote: »
    I set out today in great form. I was with a buddy who was also in great form. We headed out the Tallaght Bypass, through Manor Kilbride and then around Blessington Lakes. At the Valleymount turn my buddy had to head home as he had a ticket for the Leinster game.

My right thigh had been twinging but I decided to head up for the Wicklow Gap hoping it would work itself through. I got to the Wicklow Gap and stopped for a nibble and eyed up Turlough Hill. Despite my slightly painful leg I just couldn't resist a climb up Turlough. A few hundred metres from the top a cyclist past me in full Boards.ie kit so I kept with him - it turned out to be Wishbone Ash. We had a chat and headed back down from the Wicklow Gap in the Blessington direction. It was nice to have a random encounter with a fellow Boardsie and WA is a gentleman. Anyway he split to do a lap of Blessington Lakes and I headed through Valleymount.

From Valleymount all the way home my legs began to give up - it was a struggle all the way to Brittas. I was thankful that I had the descent from Crooksling.

No pain, no gain was today's theme. Glad to have the kms done.

108km, 1,110m @ 22km/h.

Lovely post. Having ready with interest many of WA's rides, I'd love to meet him by chance at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vasilel

Hauki wrote: »
    131km today. Absolute beast of a ride (at least for me.

Bray - Roundwood - Glendalough - Wicklow Gap - Blessington - Tallaght - City Centre - Clontarf - Howth.

Pretty much outdid myself on every aspect in this ride. Great day!

strava.com/activities/279197679
    legend...must give it a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

60k. Stepaside, powerscourt waterfall, military road, cruagh road, Glencullen and home. Nice morning windows. Ground up every hill..... combination of a weight and fitness. First day using a garmin so look forward to comparing times in future

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

131k, 1400m, 6 hours: Wexford-New Ross-Borris-Mt Leinster-Bunclody-Enniscorthy-Wexford. Gorgeous day for it. Nearly t-boned 1k in when a car turned left across my path to enter a filling station before they'd finished overtaking me. Luckily I saw it coming. To balance that, some very cordial and considerate driving from oncoming and following traffic on Mt Leinster. First time to ride the New Ross - Borris Road. Nice and ''rolly' with a headwind to boot.

Rb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Lovely post. Having ready with interest many of WA's rides, I'd love to meet him by chance at some stage

Legend tbh.

The most amazing thing about my spin today was the people I did it with.

Just people who are wreaking their arses for charity.

Legends, all of them.

Most of them clocked 120KM for the day.

That's a lot.

An awful lot.

Fair play to them.

My KMs pale in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Some say his 'full boards kit' is actually a full body tattoo of it..watch yourself :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

45km, Waterford to Tramore to Dunmore East and back to Waterford. Lovely morning for it, left at 7.30 to a lovely mist rising. Very little traffic, only saw one car on the country roads between Tramore and Dunmore.

I think my Garmin is acting up though - average speed is shockingly low, especially considering I was in front of my mate the whole time, climbed faster (for once!) and descended much faster, and her average speed was 6kph faster. I did notice the speedo was randomly jumping down throughout the ride - cruising at 30kph, and it might show 13kph for a second, or 8kph on a descent.

Or maybe I'm just crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

OldBean wrote: »
    45km, Waterford to Tramore to Dunmore East and back to Waterford. Lovely morning for it, left at 7.30 to a lovely mist rising. Very little traffic, only saw one car on the country roads between Tramore and Dunmore.

I think my Garmin is acting up though - average speed is shockingly low, especially considering I was in front of my mate the whole time, climbed faster (for once!) and descended much faster, and her average speed was 6kph faster. I did notice the speedo was randomly jumping down throughout the ride - cruising at 30kph, and it might show 13kph for a second, or 8kph on a descent.

Or maybe I'm just crap.

You have a magnet on your wheel for the speed? Sounds like your magnet is too far from the reader or your cadence speed sensor is borked. Check it out, you can always disable it and use the gps for speed if it turns out its fooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

55km Coffee spin, Ruby's in Ballyboughal was thronged with Cyclists....and the odd Triathlete....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Good thinking - I'll give that a checking out in the morning. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Same here, I dream about doing a wheelie past him up Howth Head but there's a better chance I'll only pass him when we're traveling in opposite directions :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

OldBean wrote: »
    Good thinking - I'll give that a checking out in the morning. Cheers!

Also, check the wheel size in the settings on the Garmin. Or (as I did by accident) put two magnets on the wheel so get double the speed :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ford2600 wrote: »
    Easter Fleche 2015, 427km ending in Mullingar have started in Cork.

Sections with a tough headwind but not too bad.

Just under 16 1/2 hrs moving so we had a few nice stops to!

Enjoyable spin with 4 honest men

That was good going in that headwind. We managed 383km in 18h rolling. Dublin - Limerick - Gort - Athlone - Mullingar. Headwind was a beast but ied away completely when we turned north at Limerick. Lovely dry night, not too cold with a full moon to light the way.

A most welcome breeakfast at Reyno's Cafe in Mullingar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

After yesterdays experience with my legs I was eager to get out on the bike rather than rest although I made a decision to keep things flat. I set off into the city and out to Dublin Airport. The tiredness was evident in my legs but I'd planned to do 50km so I kept going - I can be quite stubborn.

As I turned left at the roundabout just past the airport there was an Aer Lingus A320 undergoing an engine test run. It was stationary and pointed tail to the road - it was about 150/200m away from the road. As I passed directly behind the aircraft I was surprised by the sudden crosswind from the engine thrust. It was nothing mental but it was very noticeable.

Just after the Boot Inn where the road bends and is parallel with the taxiway, an American Airlines A330 was taxiing beside me. Just for my own pure entertainment I dropped a few cogs and overtook it. OK, it was only taxiing but it's not that often that you get the opportunity to overtake an A330 on a road bike!

Anyway, despite the messing, 52km, 200m @ 25km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Only had a couple of hours to spare this morning, headed from Greystones up rocky valley drive, then up the wall for the first time and up to roundwood da djouce way. Back via the Devils glen to n11 and home.

Was cold in the fog up there!

60.1k 26.6 avg and 820 gain.

Happy Easter everyone, remember chocolate is not just for easter it's on ure belly until you cycle it off!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Headstrong sportive in Kildare this morning, well organised and marshaled
    pleasant enough but not as warm as expected...left the rain jacket and full gloves in the car
    nasty climb near the end but got over it, happy with my avg
    https://www.strava.com/activities/279703475/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement