Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

ford2600 wrote: »
    Easter Fleche 2015, 427km ending in Mullingar have started in Cork.

Sections with a tough headwind but not too bad.

Just under 16 1/2 hrs moving so we had a few nice stops to!

Enjoyable spin with 4 honest men
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    That was good going in that headwind. We managed 383km in 18h rolling. Dublin - Limerick - Gort - Athlone - Mullingar. Headwind was a beast but ied away completely when we turned north at Limerick. Lovely dry night, not too cold with a full moon to light the way.

A most welcome breeakfast at Reyno's Cafe in Mullingar.

410km with about 18.5 hours moving. Dublin - Athy - CarrickOnSuir - Limerick - Tullamore - Mullingar. Night was milder than last year with virtually no wind, the strong moonlight created some wacky shapes along the Birr backroads in the early hours :pac:.

Well done to everyone who took part. A special thanks to O'Keefe Cycles in Carrick On Suir - Ireland's oldest bike shop where Sean Kelly bought his first bike. He opened up to repair a broken spoke for one of the lads and only asked for a mention on social media in return. Chapeau.

Edit - The back road between Nenagh and Birr has some interesting side walls that make it seem like a rectangular half pipe - like walls of hedge. So I was pootling along with the moonlight coming from the side and up comes one of the lads behind with a bright dynamo light. Suddenly , along one of these hedge walls in front a cyclist appeared. At first I thought it was one of the team but he didn't seem familiar, having spent all day with the guys I was sure I could pick any of them them out from their pedal stroke at the very least. This guy was keeping a steady pace from me on the left and had no lights or reflectives. Who was this mystery person who suddenly joined us on the ride ? It was slightly unnerving. I put the foot down to catch up but he kept a steady distance riding along the hedge, all in dark clothes.

Took about 5 mins to work out it was my shadow . Bloody hell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Decided to try out the Orwell Randonee route but skipped the Glencree loop at the start and the second climb to Sally Gap at the end. Still ended up doing 134k from home in 6 hours with 1700m of climbing. Very misty around Ballinastoe and nearly decided to stay low and head for Laragh. Turned up by Lugala instead where the sun finally broke through. After a very classy scone and coffee in the Conservatory at Laragh, the Wicklow Gap didn't seem too bad but the hills around the Blessington Lakes took their toll. Knackered now but no cramp this week which must be a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Headed out to Howth for the first time ever today. Went around via the village and then left at the church - is that the hard way around or the easy way? The first hundred yards or so past the church are tough but it's grand after that. Was very misty out by the sea - the beard was soaking by the time I got onto Howth itself! Descending a road for the first time in mist is....interesting. Loads out today, although somewhat surprised at how few people actually returned by attempts to say hello as I went past.

Anyway, Rathfarnham-Howth via city centre and back. 55km, 400m ish, 26kmh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Went around via the village and then left at the church - is that the hard way around or the easy way?....
    Clockwise (the way you went) is steeper but the climb is shorter. The Sutton side (anti-clockwise) has a more gentle gradient but is about twice as long.

(Next time keep right at the church on the village side - you'll come back out near the summit with an interesting bend on the way up!)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Clockwise (the way you went) is steeper but the climb is shorter. The Sutton side (anti-clockwise) has a more gentle gradient but is about twice as long.

(Next time keep right at the church on the village side - you'll come back out near the summit with an interesting bend on the way up!)

Yeah, had ha feeling clockwise was the steeper way. I'll definitely have a bit more of an explore next time I head over, makes a nice change from Cruagh/stocking lane etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

43.4km
    1:46:07 259m
    113W
    719kJ

Avg Max
    Speed 24.6km/h 44.3km/h
    Calories 802
    Elapsed Time 1:49:00

Lovely morning spin out & home in time for the parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First solo 100 of the year, took it nice and steady all the way and felt fine at the end.
    Longwood Enfield Kilcock Maynooth Leixlip Celbridge Clane Prosperous Allenwood Derrinturn Carbury Clogharinkoe Moyvalley Longwood. Ridiculously flat.
    Can't get the file to upload from my Garmin. Wouldn't mind having a look at the HR and cadence, I think I had it fairly nicely under control. I felt like I put less effort into the spin than my previous 100s but still came home in a decent time so maybe the hills over the last few weeks have stood to me.
    104.5km in 3:55 @26.7kmh

Edit: Got it to upload finally......tried turning it off and turning it on again
    https://www.strava.com/activities/279883095

Edit#2 Phone said 106km, Garmin says 104.5 - beginning to dislike Garmins honesty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Myself and Ranjo Jnr (age 11) covered 37km this afternoon. Up the N11 to Leeson street then along the canal and around to Island Bridge. Stopped at the war memorial and again at Charlemont.

Took our time, about 3 hours including the rest stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Planned a quick 90 min spin up to three rock. Never been before. Intended to go up ticknock road but missed it so 'found' Kilmacoshoge lane. Fuuuuùuuucccck meeeeee. Have not had to zig zag up a hill in a long long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Planned a quick 90 min spin up to three rock. Never been before. Intended to go up ticknock road but missed it so 'found' Kilmacoshoge lane. Fuuuuùuuucccck meeeeee. Have not had to zig zag up a hill in a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

70odd km with the club , 600m climbing- hadn't planed any hills as I'm a bit behind .

Got talked into it in the car park, kettlebells for the last 4 weeks got me through it.

Ryder wrote: »
    ....Intended to go up ticknock road but missed it so 'found' Kilmacoshoge lane. Fuuuuùuuucccck meeeeee. Have not had to zig zag up a hill in a long long time.
    It's a theatre of pain alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Ryder wrote: »

I feel sorry for you if you actually stumbled across it..cant think of a worse uphill :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

What a beautiful day to be out on the bike. Hopefully we'll have more of this as the summer progresses.

Headed out with the club today to enjoy the sun and to get the farmer tan started :D Flatish enough route with a few hills thrown in for good measure

74.8km, 32.5kmh, 401m

https://www.strava.com/activities/280203357

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

30.9km 1:12:09 144m
    119W
    516kj
    Avg Max
    Speed 25.7km/h 38.2km/h
    Calories 576
    Elapsed Time 1:14:12

Only a short spin early today.
    Cool enough at the beginning but warmed up fairly quickly.
    Roads very busy with traffic but not many cyclists.
    Hopefully week stays fine and manage a few spins after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lads and lassies - the weather today!! As my 11 year old daughter would say OMFG!!

It didn't look like I'd get out as my wife had to work. I spent the early afternoon cutting grass and feeling jealous of lads and girls whizzing by on bikes. Thankfully my wife finished early so I set out at 1630. I did a nice 50km out to Blessington and back.

A real touch of summer for three reasons.

1. Work began on tan lines
    2. I swallowed my first insect since September.
    3. I was stunned by the Irish scenery.

I was in such good form that I stopped in the local for a couple of pints despite all the budgie smuggling remarks :D

51km, 330m @ 26.3km/h.

If you didn't get out today then I feel your pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

First choc ice of the year and first 200km spin as well, those two facts are somewhat related. Six of us headed for the Blooms this morning and after a cool enough start had beautiful conditions for the 4 climbs up over the Cut and the Wolftrap as we went from Clonaslee to Kinnity and back, on the flat ground on the way home we were travelling sweetly but about 20km from home I was feeling a little out of sorts, just a few niggles really, luckily we had to make a water stop and the suggestion was made to indulge in a choc ice, it worked wonders, back on the bike I was like a new man so when we got back to the meeting point and it seemed that I'd be finishing with 156km I decided to fill it out to 160, somehow that became 200 an hour and a half or so later...

Great day to be out, loads of people on bikes in the Blooms, great bit of a buzz about.

https://www.strava.com/activities/280378789

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

^^Big spin there!!!
    I had a notion of going to the Blooms myself today but time was against me and the legs would probably have given out on me after yesterdays 100 so after dropping the kids to the grandparents at the train station I settled for a nice spin around Lough Ennel. Weather was fantastic. Some really nice smooth surfaces on small roads there. I'll definitely head around that area again.
    43km in 1:34 @ 27.7kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/280468883

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

First solo 100 ever. Just over 4 hours.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/280524977 Recorded it on a polar but strava knocked off .6 :( must be the security feature hiding the start.
    Not to shabby if I do say so myself and made it back before the rest of the house was out if bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

39.6km in west Cork, 529m climbing. Down here for a training course and threw the bike in the car. Short by comparison with many here but longest spin since knee surgery a few weeks ago so happy to get through it with no pain. Not too fast either but glad to make it up some seriously steep hills here, and a lovely coffee in Hayes Bar in Glandore overlooking the bay. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Had a lovely 45/50km ride out to Dun Laoghaire from Tallaght, weather was magnificent! From there I flew to Black rock, Ballsbridge, town and then home through Rathgar. First proper long spin on my new Felt F85, serious bike!

nilhg wrote: »
    ..... it seemed that I'd be finishing with 156km I decided to fill it out to 160, somehow that became 200 an hour and a half or so later...

https://www.strava.com/activities/280378789
    ...And you finished 100 metres short of beating your current longest ride (203.3 v 203.4). That would really bug me! :D

ted1 wrote: »
    First solo 100 ever. Just over 4 hours.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/280524977 Recorded it on a polar but strava knocked off .6 :( ...
    Always add a km or so to the end of a long ride with a 'round' number. ;)

(I discovered it the hard way when I thought I had done my first 100 mile ride. Stopped the Garmin at 160k only to discover it was 99.9 miles when I uploaded it. :().

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 chrissy_W

Had my first accident today. My bike is fine, just scuffed in a few places really. Managed to rip my thermal and baselayer. I'll have one hell of a bruise on my thigh and my legs have some nasty grazing as I was in running shorts. I'm a bit stiff and sore now, and my arm stings a lot, but I'll live.

According to strava I went down at 25mph, must have been over quick but happened in slow motion and had a lot of time to think about how dangerous this was. Luckily the car behind was far enough away to stop safely and stick his hazards on until I got out of the gutter. He stopped with me until he was sure I was ok. He offered to take my bike and I home too but I declined, thought I would have been able to finish the journey on the bike but my leg was really bad so I just pushed my bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

...And you finished 100 metres short of beating your current longest ride (203.3 v 203.4). That would really bug me! :D

Now that you've told me it does bug me, another target I suppose...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wow, this weather! Depressing been back to work today~! :(

Went out to do an hour on my own as doing a lot of core work trying to get the hips and legs stronger as they aren't happy still, ended up been brutal foggy so stopped at the point where the club spin starts, few there and got talked into going out with them said I could turn when I wanted!
    Ended up doing 99.6km and we had the headwind on our faces on the return leg, happy enough with a 28.8 kmph avg. Had to a lot of stretching of the calves and hips and back on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

When I did my first 200, couple of km's short of 200 ended up doing lap's of the town and car parks. Got the garmin over 200 and since I was completely empty I stopped. Only to upload it to Strava and it shows 199.7km.
    I've done few 200 since but this one bugs me still.

Strava proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

LpPepper wrote: »
    Had a lovely 45/50km ride out to Dun Laoghaire from Tallaght, weather was magnificent! From there I flew to Black rock, Ballsbridge, town and then home through Rathgar. First proper long spin on my new Felt F85, serious bike!

Clip yourself in and it'll be seriously serious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

89km: Westport down to Louisburgh and through the Sheefry Pass back to Westport and on to Newport. The climb at Sheefry was killer, climbing's never been a strong point and I've been off the bike too long lately. Total climb 960 metres. Fabulous day for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement