Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

crosstownk wrote: »
    Lads and lassies - the weather today!! As my 11 year old daughter would say OMFG!!

It didn't look like I'd get out as my wife had to work. I spent the early afternoon cutting grass and feeling jealous of lads and girls whizzing by on bikes. Thankfully my wife finished early so I set out at 1630. I did a nice 50km out to Blessington and back.

A real touch of summer for three reasons.

1. Work began on tan lines
    2. I swallowed my first insect since September.
    3. I was stunned by the Irish scenery.

I was in such good form that I stopped in the local for a couple of pints despite all the budgie smuggling remarks :D

51km, 330m @ 26.3km/h.

If you didn't get out today then I feel your pain.
    Glad you got out but, I couldnt go into my local wearing my cycling gear, all that sweat plus I dont think the bar man wants me sitting and lying on the floor stretching out the pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

chrissy_W wrote: »
    Had my first accident today. My bike is fine, just scuffed in a few places really. Managed to rip my thermal and baselayer. I'll have one hell of a bruise on my thigh and my legs have some nasty grazing as I was in running shorts. I'm a bit stiff and sore now, and my arm stings a lot, but I'll live.

According to strava I went down at 25mph, must have been over quick but happened in slow motion and had a lot of time to think about how dangerous this was. Luckily the car behind was far enough away to stop safely and stick his hazards on until I got out of the gutter. He stopped with me until he was sure I was ok. He offered to take my bike and I home too but I declined, thought I would have been able to finish the journey on the bike but my leg was really bad so I just pushed my bike.

What brought you down..?

I have a dread of coming off and a car mashing me..and the fact they drive up your hoe and pass within a hairs breath does not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

chrissy_W wrote: »
    Had my first accident today. My bike is fine, just scuffed in a few places really. Managed to rip my thermal and baselayer. I'll have one hell of a bruise on my thigh and my legs have some nasty grazing as I was in running shorts. I'm a bit stiff and sore now, and my arm stings a lot, but I'll live.

According to strava I went down at 25mph, must have been over quick but happened in slow motion and had a lot of time to think about how dangerous this was. Luckily the car behind was far enough away to stop safely and stick his hazards on until I got out of the gutter. He stopped with me until he was sure I was ok. He offered to take my bike and I home too but I declined, thought I would have been able to finish the journey on the bike but my leg was really bad so I just pushed my bike.
    Sorry to hear you had a spill glad to hear your okay, road rash is a badge of honour, my 1st spill while doing no speed at all(couldnt get my foot out in time)was outside a church as a funeral was leaving, one of the mourners told me that the fella in the box would have lahghed his ass of at me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

85km yesterday from Drogheda to Duleek, Bellinter, Trim, Navan and back.
    Some glitch with the Garmin as I tried to upload to Strava.
    "You have no new activities to upload"
    So I guess it never happened. :(

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

furiousox wrote: »
    85km yesterday from Drogheda to Duleek, Bellinter, Trim, Navan and back.
    Some glitch with the Garmin as I tried to upload to Strava.
    "You have no new activities to upload"
    So I guess it never happened. :(

Had the same on Sunday, turned off the computer and back again, cleared the cache, deleted the other rides off the garmin and it uploaded. Seems like a lot of people have been having problems lately judging by the Garmin forums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

What a day for a spin! Pity I only had a few hours free this morning, I mightnt have come back otherwise!

Did 52k loop around North Wicklow, 29.3 avg and 480m gain.

It almost felt like summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 chrissy_W

not yet wrote: »
    What brought you down..?

I have a dread of coming off and a car mashing me..and the fact they drive up your hoe and pass within a hairs breath does not help.

Pothole on the inside of the road that I wasn't paying attention to, I saw it at the last minute, so turned out to avoid it without even looking behind me (stupid, I know) and over compensated moving back in, pedal caught the path, next thing I know I was on the ground...:o
    Bloggsie wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you had a spill glad to hear your okay, road rash is a badge of honour, my 1st spill while doing no speed at all(couldnt get my foot out in time)was outside a church as a funeral was leaving, one of the mourners told me that the fella in the box would have lahghed his ass of at me!

Lol. Bike is all okay, I gave it a once-over this morning so decided to take it easy and go out for a quick spin today, I couldn't not do so in this weather. A bit sore still but it went grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

After a dreadful winter finally got out for a few short cycles over the last few days: 11.2 km just to check that all parts still functioned; 22.0 to stretch the legs a little and 30.1 to test the possibility of a proper 50+ cycle some time soon. Average speed of 23.3, 24.5 and 24.6. Feels okay but need new saddle, new shorts, new pedals, new tyres. Felt every bump - ouch. Irish roads suck. Every molecule of badly laid Tarmac sent shockwaves of pain to the tender parts. But the weather more than made up for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Killarney to Kenmare (a long-ish route up Moll's Gap) by road. then back via the butter road. Seriously hard work with heavy me on a heavy MTB but great to do the full circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

boobar wrote: »
    20km spin outside Portarlington.

For many this isn't much to write home about but I'm aiming to hit 30km by the end of March and take it from there.

Felt great being out in the fresh air and good weather.

Well didn't hit the 30km target by the end of March.

But hit it today. 30.32 km around the country roads outside Tullamore. Granted it took me just short of 2 hours. Weather was glorious, feel great if slightly achey in the legs. Weather holds up tomorrow I'll do it again.

Tis a great week to be on holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

20kms today in the mountains around Elviria, Spain just to get used to rental bike. The climb was vicious (for me anyhow). Might try and head up towards Coin tomorrow. I've been here three days now and not a sign of any sun. Lots of rain today though, which was nice!

https://www.strava.com/activities/282060395

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

132.5kms, 21kmph avg, 1791m climbing. Wexford-Kiltealy-Borris-Mt. Leinster-Bunclody-Enniscorthy via back road-Wexford via Ballyhogue and Forth Mountain.

Major hunger bonk from 100k: bag of Tayto, Snickers and a Coke in Ballyhogue got me home. Pushed hard on Mt. Leinster and got up 6 mins faster than last Saturday when I concentrated on getting up with as low a HR as possible so pleased with that. Great day for it. Sunshine, bugger all wind but not very hot- absolutely perfect.

Rb

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭alentejo

1st century of the year :). 104km avg 21.7kmp, 1050m climbing. Terenure, Stocking Lane, Military Rd, Sally Gap, Laragh (coffee and lunch), Wicklow Gap, Vallymount Blessington and N81 home.

great day for it......Good god N81 is terrible to cycle on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

47km last evening with 674m climbing at 24.6kph, up Cruagh Rd to Glencullen down to Kilternan, was supposed to turn Left for home , turned Right instead to Enniskerry, glad I did as it was only then that my legs started to behave.
    Beautiful evening, loving this weather.

https://www.strava.com/activities/281684965

From home to Dublin via Rathdrum, Laragh, Roundwood, Bray. 61kms or so - strava ignored all but the first 20km or so😠. Serves me right for using the phone rather than the garmin. Another glorious day though and gradually getting a little more comfortable on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

alentejo wrote: »
    1st century of the year :).Good god N81 is terrible to cycle on..

Head for Ballyknockan, Lacken and Manor Kilbride instead and stay off the N81 till Brittas. From there you have a shortish narrow stretch until you get to the top of the Embankment. Alternatively, if you want a bit more pain you can head up Seskin from Brittas and rejoin the N81 on the outskirts of Tallagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Have we got an unusual wind direction at the moment? I'm tearing down Military road these last couple of days. Touching 70km/h at times.

I've even been passing out cars :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Nipped out this evening based on the forecast for tomorrow being iffy, lovely evening if blustery in spots. Managed 43km @27kmph, but more impressive (for me) is that it takes me over 120km in the last seven days:) I know for some posters that's less than a single spin, but I'm very pleased :D

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Other evening had a lovely cycle in the middle of the sunny spell, which seems to have ended for now as its lashing rain and windy again this evening.

Cycled to work at 6am that morning so was dark enough when leaving but starting to brighten, was beautiful.

Then cycled back in the evening via the garden center and then went back towards Kerryhead.

Only 40km but a lovely cycle none the less and I try do it as often as I can.

Had an opportunity to do a different type of cycling ( for me) today: instead of gentle cycles along the quiet, sylvan lanes of South Wicklow I was able to experience the madness of Dublin City centre - 19 Kms on the hybrid from Phoenix park to Parnell Square and then on via the wonderful N11 to the 'burbs. Going up O Connell St was fun: there is, apparently, a cycle lane - and at one stage I think I got to within a traffic lane of it. I was too busy dodging buses, taxis, pedestrians, pigeons whilst trying not to scream from the pure adrenaline rush of it - a mixture of pure fear and enjoyment. Sublime madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Glasnevin - Swords - Skerries - Loughshinny - Rush - Glasnevin

63 km. 23 kph average.

Happy with that. But ferrocious winds. Nice few bumpy hills too. I'm not a climber but starting to encorporate some hill work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ozzy jr wrote: »

And on a continuous white line too !

I cycled a mere 10km yesterday, only getting back on the bike after a longgg time off, I really missed not cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Have we got an unusual wind direction at the moment? I'm tearing down Military road these last couple of days. Touching 70km/h at times.

Only 70? :cool::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cycling at along the south canal today, abreast with a friend, suddenly an adult swan lands on his back. One on my biggest wtf moments ever.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Finished work and headed up Ballinascorney/Sally Gap/Featherbeds and down Stocking lane. It's becoming my regular hill training loop, I still need loads of metres if I'm going to get up the mountains on holidays.

"Go on Steve, sure what do you want long bib and long sleeve jersey for? FFS, its nearly Summer.
    Ah, I'll throw on the jersey, might be breezy up there, maybe the overshoes.
    Whaattt??? You're from the OX Mountains. Real Weshty mountains, not these soft Jackeen things. You'll be grand, sure you'd do this in your underpants.
    Ya, I probably could but feck it I'll stick on the jersey just in case.

See, Its lovely up here, PR on the Ballinascorney climb, cruising now....barely a cloud in the sky....except for that small one over there beyond Blessington. Go on, not a bother, nearly at the top of the Sally now, sure we'll head for Kippure....
    Ya, why not. Is that cloud getting close? It's after getting a bit breezy now...
    Jesus Christ my ears, my legs ....Hail Stones!!!! Oh that's awful bloody sore. Where has the warmth gone? Headwind too?? FFS
    What the hell is going on with my forhead? NNGhhh...It's like I've eaten too much ice cream too fast. Oh God almighty that's fkn perishing, I can hardly breath.
    And now my glasses are fogging up. And now my fingers and toes are going numb. F%$K Kippure!!!! Get me the hell off this abomnibal mountain quick before I freeze to death. Where's my overshoes? Gloves? Long Bib ? Steve, you are a stupid prick.

Oh wait, here's the sunshine again just as I start to descend. No worries at all....except for a vicious gust of wind through a gate halfway down Stocking lane. Ah sure here, have another blast of hailstones for the craic."

46km in 2:11 with 849m climbing.
    Got a pile of PRs on the climbs. They don't get easier but I am getting a tiny bit faster.

And I'm never listening to myself again

https://www.strava.com/activities/283318138

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I set off today after the young lad's hurling match. It was a bit later than I'd hoped for. Standing watching the hurling match (they lost btw), I felt the wind. I thought to myself "the ould cycle will be a bit of torture with this wind"

So, hurling done and dusted, I donned full winter clobber after my pitch side experience and set off with a mate. We struggled out the Tallaght Bypass and went up the Embankment with the wind p1ssing us off the whole way. We continued with our struggle around Blessington Lakes, through Valleymount and turned left in Blessington for Naas. The wind was once again in our faces but at least it's predominantly downhill to Naas.

At Naas we stopped for a coffee and as we sipped, big dark clouds loomed and the associated hailstones fell at an alarming rate. Thankfully we were sheltered by a Maxol canopy. I looked at my bike (I do this regularly) and then I thought :eek: the mudguard is at home! So despite the fact that the rain had stopped, I got drenched at the rear by my almost worn Michelin Pro 4. Absoultely drenched. My backside was soaked and cold. I yelled at the Bus Éireann driver who squeezed me into a massive puddle that I was trying to avoid. I called him a wank3r but obviously he didn't hear and he probably didn't realise that I was trying to avoid said puddle.

Anyway, I made it home with 92km on the clock. Usually I'd carry on and turn that into 100km but I was cold, wet and tired. The thoughts of another 4km into the wind (and 4km in the opposite direction) just didn't seem as inviting as a warm shower and food so I turned into the driveway.

92km, 710m @ 23.1km/h.

Thankfully the weather forecast for the coming week is looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Headed down to Sundrive today. Cycling there, training and cycling home amounted to 55k and brought me up to 115 for the week so far. I've managed to get over 100k for the last three weeks in a row. Like someone said a few pages back, that's nothing for some of the guys on here, but I'm delighted with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Alek wrote:
    Cycling at along the south canal today, abreast with a friend, suddenly an adult swan lands on his back. One on my biggest wtf moments ever.

Where about on the canal was that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Where about on the canal was that??

Park West Business Park, more or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 kilty_lad

Cycled out to St Anne's park from Irishtown for the Parkrun this morning. Ran my 5k in a new PB 19.25 and then hopped on the bike again on to Howth summit followed by Portmarnock then Malahide. Turned around to face a daunting wind and went back the same route taking in Howth summit and along the coast road to Clontarf.

Delighted to get 70km at 25.2km/hr (+5km run) after purchasing a new set of wheels during the week!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement