Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

OldBean wrote: »
    Bumped into Alek this morning at the start of my spin. 40km later and I get three punctures in the space of 100m - sidewall ripped. It's a long walk home!

Bugger! I hope you don't connect these two events in any way :P

BTW, your bike it a true beauty. She doesn't deserve this.

(I was in my civil clothes and on a cargo bike, taking my son to a playgroup... )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Alek wrote: »
    Bugger! I hope you don't connect these two events in any way :P

BTW, your bike it a true beauty. She doesn't deserve this.

(I was in my civil clothes and on a cargo bike, taking my son to a playgroup... )

Not at all Alek, I swear... :pac:

Thanks, she's nearly finished, that rear rack has to come off, and some small bits added.

Apologies for the confusion at the junction, I was in another world chatting to my mate!

No worries, I was in hurry myself. See you next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How could you not notice it was 20mm higher? I'd notice if mine was 2mm out! ,

I know. It surprised me too. I do remember being in a rush refitting so I probably didn't pay proper attention. I may not have consciously noticed it but my legs certainly did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    I probably passed you at some point today so!

possible, seen a few out on my way, passed 2 lads in Johnstown village and another at Bodenstown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Monday I headed up Cruagh Road for the first time this year; over the Featherbeds to Glencree and home. 46k 790m 23kmh. It was a balmy 15 degrees at sea level but blummin' feck it was baltic up there. The wind was determined to put me in the ditch on Military Road and I'd forgotten how bad the surface deteriorates once you cross into Wickla.

Back again for another shot on Thursday. The wind was from a different angle and not as ferocious but still managed to slow me down until the turn for Glencree. Spectacular up there; clear skies and hardly a car passed me the whole way. Same stats. Will. Try. Harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Two consecutive >80k spins. Tuesday Glasnevin to Aughrim over Sally Gap (non-stop from Ballyboden rbt to the gap crossroads (had to get pic) and thence to Aughrim.
    Wednesday, 60k with my sister (training for ROK) over Slieve Maan and Slieve Elliot and back via Greenane. Then another 40k home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Really shít day at work, was supposed to get finished before 4, didn't get out the gate until nearly 6. Gave my leg a wallop with the hammer at one stage and have a lovely bruise on it now. Plans of doing a good loop up the Sally gap, maybe get 80 k or more, went out the window. I left work like an absolute bull.

Headed for Bohernabreena and Ballinascorney/ Sally gap but didn't even have the heart for it at that stage or the time so I turned up the first road to the left on the way out Bohernabreena. Never been up there before, just went rambling.
    Well puck me fink but that's a hell of a climb. Real narrow road. Bad surface. Tough as hell. There's a let up about 2/3 the way up where you can see a road going off to your right at an awful slope and I thought "thank christ I don't have to go up that" but 10 seconds later there's a real tight turn at a bridge and the horrible realisation that I did indeed have to go up that. A real "OhForfuksake" moment.
    Got to the top eventually and realised where I was, just up from the Viewing point so I dropped down Cruagh seeing as I was rambling on roads I'd never been on before. Seems like a nice climb too, loads of twists and turns. I'll probably give it a shot soon.
    I'm awful happy that I didnt stop on the Bohernabreena climb. A few weeks ago I would definitely have taken at least one breather. I'm even happier that despite my own perception that I'm a dire climber, I actually made it up in a time that's just outside the halway mark on the Strava leaderboard. I know, it's only strava but for me it's a gauge and I enjoy it. Climbing hills definitely makes you better at climbing hills. I still have an awful lot of improving to do but I'm happy right now seeing progress.

TL;DR - Bad day at work, good short spin on the bike made up for it.
    24k in 1;02 with 392m climbing
    https://www.strava.com/activities/287296073

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ...Well puck me fink but that's a hell of a climb. Real narrow road. Bad surface. Tough as hell. There's a let up about 2/3 the way up where you can see a road going off to your right at an awful slope and I thought "thank christ I don't have to go up that" but 10 seconds later there's a real tight turn at a bridge and the horrible realisation that I did indeed have to go up that. A real "OhForfuksake" moment...
    Descending it is almost worse than climbing it. I nearly lost it there a while back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Went to Sundrive track for the first time today as part of an Orwell club taster session.

Great fun. No brakes, one gear, lots of fun exercises.

All good, though I went to put my hands on the hoods at one point :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

40k, inc 2 trips up Ballinascorney Hill, one after the other.
    Felt pretty handy to be honest, stayed in the big ring all the way til the 2nd half of the last straight on both trips. Weather class mind you, not a breeze to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Wednesday it was 28 degrees here! Managed to get out for a spin yesterday and it was low 20's for my 67km. Lashing down with rain and 13 degrees for my commute to work tonight - tights, gabba and winter boots back on again! Still, might stretch the ride home in the morning if the rain stops, and I get work finished soon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Travelled down to Glengarriff and Cycled the Beara Peninsula. Healy pass first, the bottom section is being resurfaced so we had a few hairy moments, i'm glad we weren't descending it. Our first time ascending the "lauragh" climb. A steady enough gradient but it does take it's toll. Onto the Caha pass, will they ever sort out the end section of this mountain? It's basically potholes and rubble, it's a miracle no one has been killed descending it. So a good day all and all, plenty of climbing but the main challenge was the wind. It was pretty fierce at times and it made the 80 Km feel more like 100 plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Maynooth - Celbridge - Saggart - Slade Valley - Sally's Gap and back.

My first climbing experience! I only made it up as far as the bridge on Sally - legs cramped up when I went to take off after stopping on the bridge so I didn't risk it.

Group of us out. Thanks to sullzzzz for his words of encouragement!

77.7 km. 22.35 kph. 463 gain.

Hit 66 kph on the descent. Such an amazing thrill that it made me want to climb up again. I see why people do it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

148k, 28.8avg, Wexford Tullamore. Lovely day for it but a bit chilly. Met a crowd of lads in Tullamore en route from Galway and on to Dublin after overnighting in Tullamore. Planning to ride back to Wexford tomorrow but I've a pint in my hand right now so that might not happen.

Rb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Red Belly wrote: »
    ...Met a crowd of lads in Tullamore en route from Galway and on to Dublin after overnighting in Tullamore....
    Unknown Soldier and Co. He'll probably report in later!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Had a couple of hours to spare so did a quick trip to roundwood. Havent been there this year year. Lovely day out there. Got a bit of sun.

Heading out shortly so nothing tomorrow! See you in a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

My first cycle around Howth (went around clockwise).

What a day it was for cycling. 48km in all, 22km/h average. That climb though!! So hard, could barely do 10km/h on lowest gear!! I took a break at the summit and took in the lovely scenery :cool:

The descent was amazing and quite scary in fact, reached 55km/h and was afraid the bike would just explode. On way to howth, had hard wind against me 20km/h average, way back was 38km/h average with wind coming from behind me :)

Any recommendations on taking on climbs?? I am a novice cyclist with a cheapy Carrera virtuoso :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

mk7vgy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Cycled from Dublin to Wicklow and back. Was expecting a nice stroll along the coast but there is surprising amount of hills on the coastal route. Wind was blowing from the sea so it felt like I was battling headwind both ways. Still would it give it 5/5.

113.8km, 22.9km/h (pfffft) and 722m of climb.

strava.com/activities/287852195

• Advertisement

All you need is love tailwind.

208km, 33,6kmh average.

https://app.strava.com/activities/287899324

(steel bike, 35mm tyres... :D )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

All you need is love tailwind.

208km, 33,6kmh average.

https://app.strava.com/activities/287899324

Nice route when the weather is good

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

sullivlo wrote: »

My first climbing experience! I only made it up as far as the bridge on Sally - legs cramped up when I went to take off after stopping on the bridge so I didn't risk it.

Group of us out. Thanks to sullzzzz for his words of encouragemen

Hit 66 kph on the descent. Such an amazing thrill that it made me want to climb up again. I see why people do it now :)

Think I mite of past your group today on route up to Sally gap
    Past a small group sitting and chatting on the bridge and another few on the climb up to the crossroads some wearing maynooth gear ,gave ye all a friendly wave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Show us yer bike!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Group of us out. Thanks to sullzzzz for his words of encouragement!

Well done today :)

jober wrote: »
    Think I mite of past your group today on route up to Sally gap
    Past a small group sitting and chatting on the bridge and another few on the climb up to the crossroads some wearing maynooth gear ,gave ye all a friendly wave

That was us alright :) I was one of the chatters!

That was us alright :) I was one of the chatters!

And I was one of the people trying to fix one of the girls bike halfway up the climb :mad:

sullzz wrote: »
    And I was one of the people trying to fix one of the girls bike halfway up the climb :mad:

Did ya get sorted?

Did ya get sorted?

Yeah , her chain got stuck down beside the chainset and she fell and cut her leg when it happened , took half an hour to free it , then we realised that when she fell she damaged one of her shifters so she had to cycle home in a big enough gear , sure it's good training for her race around ireland I suppose :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 chrissy_W

Really have been enjoying these past weeks cycling, amazing weather to be out in Dublin. Cycled to Dun Laoghaire pier today and home again just to get out for a while

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement