Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Daroxtar wrote: »
    My car is a heap of shíte. It's on its 3rd retest for its 2014 cert.
    The NCT is up so long that it's due for this years test in 2 weeks nevermind last years one. :

Haha, superb. Gave me a right laugh that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

45 km this evening , nice handy spin but nearly taken out of it by a lorry overtaking stupidly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Amazing day out, first day in shorts and short sleeves, and didn't feel a chill once.

50km out to Howth, back into Phoenix park for a loop and home.

Had a really strange encounter descending Howth on the village side. I wasn't descending particularly fast as I'm not a fan of flying into the village, and as I came up to the fence where the donkeys usually hang out (!) an old chap in a white 151 Skoda pulled out in front of me, then paced himself at about 25km/h. I tried filtering past him on both sides of the road, and he moved the car in/out to stop me, and continued the whole way down, including randomly braking. When we got to the bottom of the hill, where it comes out on the harbour, his window was down and he started spouting the usual BIKE WANKER, danger to society, road tax sh*te, along with how he was fed up with cyclists taking over the village. Then he swung round and went back up the hill, no doubt to do it again.

Mentioned it to some Gardai, but they weren't particularly worried. Don't know how he could have been concentrating on the road in front of him if he spent the whole journey down trying to block me off.

Anyone else encounter him?

But apart from that, seriously lovely day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

OldBean wrote: »
    Amazing day out, first day in shorts and short sleeves, and didn't feel a chill once.

I'd the opposite.

I was out of the office on business and things got cut short so I went under the radar and headed home for the bike. It was warm and the car was indicating 17 degrees C.

So I donned the summer gear and left home for Blesssington in shorts and jersey. I knew that the wind was at my back on the way out. I was a happy bunny all the way out in the sunshine.

When I turned for home at the bridge at Blessington the wind was strong enough. I was quite cold descending the Embankment and I could feel the chilly wind in my face all the home on the Tallaght Bypass. It would have been 1830h or so. I was quite cold.

Nothing a hot shower couldn't fix.

51km, 336m @ 24.5km/h.

EDIT: There was a lot of Garda activity around Manor Kilbride for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

That big bright shiny thing in the sky called the Sun?

It lies.

It was bleedin' freezin out this evening, when the big "lying its ass off" globe of molton lava thing wasn't directly shining on you.

I, for one, shall be wearing arm and leg warmers until summer is here.

The Sun may not be made of molten lava.

It looks like it is.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'd the opposite.

I was out of the office on business and things got cut short so I went under the radar and headed home for the bike. It was warm and the car was indicating 17 degrees C.

So I donned the summer gear and left home for Blesssington in shorts and jersey. I knew that the wind was at my back on the way out. I was a happy bunny all the way out in the sunshine.

When I turned for home at the bridge at Blessington the wind was strong enough. I was quite cold descending the Embankment and I could feel the chilly wind in my face all the home on the Tallaght Bypass. It would have been 1830h or so. I was quite cold.

Nothing a hot shower couldn't fix.

51km, 336m @ 24.5km/h.

EDIT: There was a lot of Garda activity around Manor Kilbride for some reason.

I cycled up to Sally Gap via viewpoint, just under 26k to get there. 30k back via Manor Kilbride out onto the Blessington Road, and like yourself I was in a short sleeve top, tho had long bottoms under my cycling shorts. I was coming down past the Embankment after 8pm and it hadn't got any warmer! brrrrrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I reckon I've a bit more.. insulation.. Than you guys, so.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

A loop from Templemore to borrisoleigh, then toomyvara, roscrea and back.

It was obviously a bit warmer down here than on the east coast, it was the first spin in shorts this year and had to take arm warmers off after half an hour.

68.08, 30.9 avg, 328 gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Decided on a whim to venture on to new roads today. Left at 3 pm from Rathfarnham. Out to Enniskerry, turned right towards Glencree and home via the military road. Usually when I venture that way, I don't go anywhere higher than Cruagh/viewing point, so it was nice to see some new roads.
    The road out of Enniskerry towards Glencree though. **** me. Crawled up it in 39x28. rest of that road is lovely though.

38.8k. 19.8 average. 635m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Keenagh Loop (low road option), 48.29km, 18.3km/h average.

The route is Newport (Co. Mayo) - Glenhest - Keenagh - Letterkeen - Shramore - Newport. It's a fabulous route, particularly on a day like today with clear skies.

I do this a couple of times a month. After Shramore there's an option to follow the main road (low road) or take a left up the high road for a serious dig. Today I chose the path more followed.

Hit a max of 76km/h on the downhill after Keenagh, riding the brakes a lot toward the end. I don't think much higher is possible given the bad surface, gravel, and sheep beside the road, but I'll give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Quick leg loosener ahead of the skoda tour of wicklow on Saturday. I was still stiffish from yesterday's spin.

40k around North tipp in fantastic sunshine in proper summer atire this evening. If only the weather was like this until October!

Average of 30.7 on flat roads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Club spin, I went with the racers and got on better than I thought. Some efforts, a 10 min warm up and then a 10 min speed up and over, went out on the first 20km at around 37.5kmph avg, I was well burnt. Hit a new top HR at 192 (meant to be 181) :D
    So all in I did a 40km spin with the race team, 34.5kmph avg, got me 6 new PBs and then a 5km warm down. Still buzzing after it and given me great confidence. Just need to get rid of the fat lad now and it will help the watts/kg.

I've had an epic few weeks on the bike. Loved every minute of it, even the really, really painful and testing parts.

Went out with the 7am crew the Saturday before last and had a blast. Had a CCC member start showing me how to take the wheel (properly) and doing this whole thing with his elbow which meant I had to take the front for a few seconds and swippin' and swapping.

We got a fierce speed up on the flat.

It was great fun.

The following day I did the Naas CC Tour De Foothills 65 km which was tough, given the weather. I expected the wind and the rain but I didn't expect the cold via wind chill. My hands got so cold I thought I was going to cry :( That's no joke. I was in agony.

How can cold cold hands feel like they have been dipped into molten Lava?

I'm taking my winter gloves out with me until Summer is confirmed.

The weather is all over the shop tbh, even now.

I think that was about 130 km or so for the weekend.

I then decided I wanted to be a Goat. Because that's really clever.

Probably not the best choice considering I am a heavy smoker but I have taken on board a lot of tips over the last few months.

But I'd rather do it now and suffer like the wuss that I am, than look back in 20 years and wish I had.

Plus I think it's "OK" now to be found sobbing at the side of the road.

Managed to do the whole Galway to Dublin thing last weekend too, over the Saturday and Sunday. That was tough given the bleedin' easterly wind, the first day especially. The last 30km of the 130 were super tough. I think I was exhausted before I even started the Spin :/

I met some real Heros over that weekend. Not the people who are into cycling (though a lot of them are heros in a different way) but the people who just do it for charity. That's some spin for them!

I did a lot at the "front" over the two days and it was tough but the best part for me was coming across a lady who was really, really suffering and taking/talking her home over the last 40 km. :o I don't mean it was nice to come across someone suffering etc...

She's a hero.

She's what the G2D is all about.

During the week I had an unexpected afternoon off and decided to use all the things taught to me over the last number of months to take on my Nemesis, Bohernabreena Hill.

I won.

I nearly didn't. I had to tell my legs to "shut up" a few times.

It was super, super tough.

It really is a See you Next Tuesday of a hill, if you're me.

I'm going to keep at it.

Might as well hammer the sh1t out of this body while I still can.

You never know what's around the corner.

I LOVE my Canyons too, btw :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Great post Unknown Soldier.
    Now, if you can get up Bohernabreena, you can quit the smokes!!

I'm taking my winter gloves out with me until Summer is confirmed.

^^ I should really heed my own advice :D

Woke up at 5AM this morning with a killer hangover, then woke up again at ten to six. Got my sh1t together as best I could and headed off at 6:40 to meet the 7AM Crew, as I am calling them.

I think I nearly maxed out my heart rate 3 time just getting over to Clondalkin for 7.05

Then I got put at the front all the way over to Slade hill :(

I then heard the plan was to go to Manor Kilbride, past the Blessington lakes and up to Lackan.

My plan was to sit at the back and take a right at Blessington lakes and do a runner home!

Unfortunately I only remembered my plan about 5 minutes after we passed the Blessington lakes :/

In fairness though I was feeling much "better" at that stage.
    On the way home though the temperature took a plunge and it started raining, that really cold rain. I left the crew at Saggart and headed back to Tallaght, Firhouse.

God damn was it cold. I was reminded of my recent Nass Tour De Foothills. My hands were freezing again but not to the extreme agony of the last time. And I forgot my Winter gloves.

When I got into the Gaff I looked like I had fallen into one of the lakes :(

Still. 73 km done with 663 is Meters of climbing according to my Garmin.

On the off chance that any of the three cyclists I passed at the Old Mill are reading this, I shouted "IT'S FUPPING FREEZING" as you went past, in case you were wondering :D

^^ I should really heed my own advice :D

Woke up at 5AM this morning with a killer hangover, then woke up again at ten to six. Got my sh1t together as best I could and headed off at 6:40 to meet the 7AM Crew, as I am calling them.

I think I nearly maxed out my heart rate 3 time just getting over to Clondalkin for 7.05

Then I got put at the front all the way over to Slade hill :(

I then heard the plan was to go to Manor Kilbride, past the Blessington lakes and up to Lackan.

My plan was to sit at the back and take a right at Blessington lakes and do a runner home!

Unfortunately I only remembered my plan about 5 minutes after we passed the Blessington lakes :/

In fairness though I was feeling much "better" at that stage.
    On the way home though the temperature took a plunge and it started raining, that really cold rain. I left the crew at Saggart and headed back to Tallaght, Firhouse.

God damn was it cold. I was reminded of my recent Nass Tour De Foothills. My hands were freezing again but not to the extreme agony of the last time. And I forgot my Winter gloves.

When I got into the Gaff I looked like I had fallen into one of the lakes :(

Still. 73 km done with 663 is Meters of climbing according to my Garmin.

On the off chance that any of the three cyclists I passed at the Old Mill are reading this, I shouted "IT'S FUPPING FREEZING" as you went past, in case you were wondering :D

Fair play doing that with a hangover! Im not going out in that stone cold sober!
    What club are you with?

terrydel wrote: »
    Fair play doing that with a hangover! Im not going out in that stone cold sober!
    What club are you with?

I find Cycling is great for hangovers, once you get out the door :)

I'm not with any club, it's just some of the Laurels G2D training group, though two of the blokes are in the CCC and are savage cyclists who LOVE hills and all the "Goat" stuff.
    There were only 6 of us this morning but sometimes there are 10 or so. It's a good mix of blokes & ladies of all ages.

I find Cycling is great for hangovers, once you get out the door :)

I'm not with any club, it's just some of the Laurels G2D training group, though two of the blokes are in the CCC and are savage cyclists who LOVE hills and all the "Goat" stuff.
    There were only 6 of us this morning but sometimes there are 10 or so. It's a good mix of blokes & ladies of all ages.

You see that getting out the door bit? Well I struggle with that cos its proceeded by the getting out of the leaba bit! And I don't even drink hahaha

Im based in Clondalkin myself and kinda looking for a group to go out with every now and then, if the times suit my own schedule (I aint a crack of dawn man at all :D)
    Whats the Saturday/Sunday schedule like?
    Im ok on the climbs myself, mainly cos Im light I reckon. Have been doing repeats on Ballinascorney of late and finding it fairly ok, the last bit at the top is always painful mind you.
    Whats GOAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Five of us headed out for a club spin. It was drizzly but not unpleasant. Three had to be home for around 11am so myself and one other headed off to balivor for a quick coffee ad home via trim and dunsany. 86k in all. Soaked through. Weighted an extra stone with all the wet gear on and feet were very sore and stinging like a b*tch. Had to be done so I can sit and watch lbl guilt free😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

95km today from Baldoyle to Nutgrove to collect a work car with a "slight" diversion put into the route which I now totally regret. Went over towards Sandyford and took the start of the Orwell route for next weekend up to Cruagh and all going well till about 2km up the rain & wind kicked in and was pretty much like that the whole way up to lough bray before easing of somewhat. Got to the gap and headed down Lugalla. Nearly came a cropper on one of the little bridges going too fast and missed the road side by inches. Down to the bottom and did a U turn to go back up. Ive tried the Lough Tay side 3 times before and only succeeded on 1 of them so now were even at 2 all. Wasnt feeling too bad by the time I got to Gap again and turned towards Rathfarnham. This is when things started going bad. The ambulance for the Skoda cycle passed me and behind him was a coach taking up the whole road and the driver decided to have a look down at his feet just as the ambulance passed me and he only noticed me at the last second. Was ready to swan dive into the ditch/bog beside me. Temperature dropped (got a reading on garmin of 2 degrees) and the winds increased well before Lough Bray. Was wet and cold then but later by the time I reached the viewing point I was seriously cold, shivering and barely able to pull the brakes which continued till I got back to Nutgrove. I dont think Ive ever been so cold on a spin before. Never have I been so glad to get into that poxy car. A good 40 minutes just sitting there rambling onto myself like a loon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Frustrating week on the bike, tried to blow off the cobwebs today. 165km, 33km average. Cavan, Roosky, Longford and home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Mixed emotions on this one. I took the bike in to work with great intentions. Today was going to be the big spin in preparation for next weeks Tour of Sligo. I was going to do Bohernabreena/Sally Gap/ Laragh/Wicklow Gap/ Blessington and home. Then I got absolutely p!ssed on at work and felt like crap before ever getting on the bike. Changed into my cycling gear and took off in the wind and rain and really felt dead and heavy all the way up Bohernabreena. By the time I got to the top of Ballinascorney I was saturated and my fingers were going numb. Got down to Kippure Estate and said F**K this, I'm not climbing the gap in this weather. Turned for Blessington. Stopped by the nice church near Manor Kilbride because I couldn't feel my hands at all. Took off the gloves and continued. I didn't even have the heart to make it to Blessington. Turned up a sh!tty lane near Brittas and had to stop and shelter beside a shed there for a few minutes as the rain was absolutely bucketting down.
    Got out onto the N81 and struggled into more wind and rain and I was never as glad to get off a bike in my life when I got back to the car. It took me 10 minutes to get changed and I said to myself WTF am I at? My nose is running and I have the start of a sore throat to match it.

Got home, wouldn't you know it... lovely weather out here.
    Uploaded the ride to Strava disgusted with myself and some more WTF's. I set a load of PRs despite myself. Not just set them but absolutely smashed them by minutes on some segments. I'm 14th overall on one climb??? I'm fú#king astounded.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/292226211

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

56k Tour of Wicklow as far as Laragh and took the "wuss bus" back to Bray. A lot, maybe most, of the field seemed to do the same! I've never been that cold. Wet, windy, and a sudden drop in temps. Everyone at the feed station was on "vibration alert"! Fair play to those who organised transport for us from Laragh back to Bray and huge kudos to those with the kahunas to get back on the bike and take the 30k shortened route back. I felt ok after about half an hour in the feed station but I was terrified of my hands going numb again as soon as I got on the road. The descent into Laragh was terrifying, I couldn't feel my hands and the bike was wobbling under me as I trembled from the cold.

Happy with the decision. Four years ago I injured my calf between mile 9 and 10 of the Cork marathon and stubbornly walked the rest of it and couldn't run a step for six weeks afterwards. Common sense prevailed today which represents major progress!

Rb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

40k spin from Limerick to Shannon and back

ive never been so glad of buying a jacket with removable sleeves.
    and the sun came out and heated everything up on the way home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 scuboo

23k spin today on a loop from the house, first time on the bike in 2 years and first time on the new bike. The weather wasn't great, cold and wet but it was ok until I got to the half way point and turned around that it got though. Rain and wind in my face all the way home, good spin tho, sore this evening but can't wait to get out agian.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

Did a club spin in north Meath, south Cavan this morning 54km's in horrible weather. Did Lough an lea hill near Baileborough twice (some of the lads did it four or five times), cross winds up there were not nice at all. On the plus side, the wind was behind us most of the way back from Bailaeborough so we were flying along.

terrydel wrote: »
    Whats GOAT?

I'll PM you over the next few days about our spins :)

GOAT = mountain goat = loves hills btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Up at 4:00am on Saturday morning. Left my house at 5:00am, rode the 129km to Athlone.

Sat in a conference all day, didn't fall asleep!

Left Athlone at 5:20pm and rode the 128Km home to Dublin.

257km for the day.That'll do.

I'll PM you over the next few days about our spins :)

GOAT = mountain goat = loves hills btw.

Nice one buddy, appreciate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Liege Bastogne Liege yesterday. 4.659m of climbing in 283k averaging 23.7km/h.

https://app.strava.com/activities/292564606

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement