Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

mad dave wrote: »
    Did a club spin in north Meath, south Cavan this morning 54km's in horrible weather. Did Lough an lea hill near Baileborough twice (some of the lads did it four or five times), cross winds up there were not nice at all. On the plus side, the wind was behind us most of the way back from Bailaeborough so we were flying along.

That's a great hill. Used to be on my usual loop, going from Kingscourt towards Baillieborough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

My first spin on the roads today, it was only 30km but I could really feel it in my legs. There are no flat roads around here at all. My average speed was looking good, in the mid 20s, then I turned for home and that dropped to 19.5 kph

I don't really intend doing any long cycles this year so I'll probably end up doing the same route most Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

My first week cycling.

Always been interesting in the sport and love watching the Tours, and the Monuments.

Training to possibly do the ROK.

Training around the Phoenix Park until I get more comfortable on the road.

Today I did from the City to Howth, up Howth Hill and back in. 40km. Embarrassingly slow and had to stop halfway up the hill but I made it.

Dunno how I'll do Molls Gap with the struggle I had with Howth but I'll keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

DDC1990 wrote: »
    My first week cycling.

Always been interesting in the sport and love watching the Tours, and the Monuments.

Today I did from the City to Howth, up Howth Hill and back in. 40km. Embarrassingly slow and had to stop halfway up the hill but I made it.

Dunno how I'll do Molls Gap with the struggle I had with Howth but I'll keep going.

There's a training programme on the Rok website, it's very useful. On the day pace yourself, it's a long slog but you'll get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

DDC1990 wrote: »
    My first week cycling.

It gets easier the more hills you do. Hills that beat me when I started I laugh at now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Toughest spin in a while. Pace was relentless. Started cramping with about 20km to go. 164.5km with 2717m of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/292928695

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,230 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

60 weeks, 420 days - today saw my return to racing after my crash last year. I was in the slowest of the 3 IVCA races - a special dispensation to drop from the middle race had been obtained. I had committed not to get involved in the race for position at the end.

Heading over in the car I was definitely having 2nd thoughts. WTF was I doing? Am I crazy to even think about racing again?

Got there and signed on. Only around 20 or so in my race, but that was what I was looking for - a small field and my only focus was rebuilding confidence.

First lap (of 4) I didn't mind doing quite a bit of work at the front, knowing I didn't have to worry about saving too much for the end. Eased back into the group a bit more on the 2nd lap. Then there was a break of 4. Didn't want to spoil it for everyone by bringing it all back together, so I allowed the gap to build. I knew there was a section of the circuit I could close things down a bit coming up, and took my chance when it came up. The gap had built though and although I probably narrowed it by maybe 50%+ I ended up easing back into the remnants of the main group. There was no way they would ever catch the break (although one of those in it blew up and came back to our group), so I did a few more pulls then headed off to the carpark leaving them to it for the last 5km or so, knowing I had had a decent workout, and most importantly had never felt concerned/nervous at all during the race.

Good to be back - next the track league on Wednesday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

65kms with 980m climbing at 21.4kph avg. Various loops of Forth Mountain and the surrounding hills.

Picked up 7 PBs during a badly needed confidence booster after abandoning the Tour of Wicklow on the verge of hypothermia yesterday. Despite the dreadful conditions and a general consensus that it was one of the worst days on the bike ever, a nagging voice in my head kept saying: "Abandon the Tour of WICKLOW and you think you can do the Marmotte? HA!"

The contrast in weather today is incredible, a beautiful day around Wexford and the missus tells me it was the same here up to lunchtime yesterday! D'OH.

Planning to do the Orwell Randonee next Sat, And the long range weather forecast looks very similar to yesterday's conditions. 😱

Rb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Going home to Carlow from a visit to my parents in Wexford, I decided to finally follow up on my threat to cycle the journey instead of the miserable Wexford-Waterford-Kilkenny-Carlow bus journey. Got up in the morning, found I did feel motivated, and off I went. Unfortunately, I did have a fairly heavy backpack to haul with me, which was the reason I was somewhat apprehensive about it. All quiet on the N11 as far as Enniscorthy, all perfectly ordinary. Found that I was more comfortable in the drops with the backpack, it shifted the weight onto my back and across my whole body instead of just weighing me down on my saddle.

Got as far as Bunclody, and my back/neck was properly tired. Rather sick of the now busy, narrow road between Enniscorthy and Bunclody. Stopped for a coke and a couple of Turkish Delights, bit of a stretch, and off I went again. Went up the drag outside Bunclody, and decided I was totally sick of the traffic. Spotted a nice looking turn towards Myshall, figured it was roughly in the direction I wanted to go in, and off I went on a detour.

Beautiful road and countryside, great road surface and perfectly quiet. Great decision to go down that way. Wasn't particularly hilly but I still got a terrific view of Mt. Leinster. Avoided the worst of the roads around Ballon too. Would highly recommend anyone in the area to try the roads around Myshall, was absolutely perfect cycling. Helped that the sugar boost from the Coke and chocolate had started to kick in too :)

Mood risen significantly, I rolled into Carlow with my journey complete. Infinitely more enjoyable than sitting on a hot, smelly bus for the equivalent 3 hours. 79km including the detour via Myshall. Nice and slow, back now slightly sore but nothing major.

https://www.strava.com/activities/292844511

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

We were back out again for an easier club Sunday spin. Did 74k with a low average of 20.3. Did a bit of hill reps again today. Climbed Hill of Ward in Athboy twice (got 45 seconds on Strava on the second attempt), then had a quick manly sprint down Dunderry side, clocked 66.6. Stopped by Cortown to see the Bohermeen race, those lads really fly along. You can feel the breeze of the larger groups when they pass you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

65kms today from Greystones to Enniskerry, up to Glencree and on up to the mast on Kippure and back home the same way. Kippure is some climb! Beautiful day compared to yesterday and a huge amount of cyclists out and about!

https://www.strava.com/activities/292858915

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ah it's not too bad

till you cross the stream :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

120km today with 1900m of climbing. Comfortably my longest and toughest day in the saddle, but boy what a gorgeous day for it. Feel less anxious about Orwell Randonee now, but I am shattered now. Left at 8.10, home at 14.30. 5hr 45m rolling time.

Took in Knockmaroon, Somerton, Tinkers Hill, Athgoe, hill near Kilteel, Bohernabreena, Sally Gap and then home via a detour on Cruagh Lane.

Got to say I loved the camaraderie, the scenery and the quiche in Glencree. I can see how you're all addicts. I have been bitten by the bug now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Got 103km in today. Cold enough in Mayo. I was back in my bib tights now that the summer is over!! I got sun, wind, rain and hailstones. Basically everything but snow! The hailstones hurt!

http://app.strava.com/activities/292875608

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was out for a 54km spin - longest so far this year by about 20km, and first time out after hurting my knee due to lowering my saddle. i was blessed with the weather, it was a real cycling between the raindrops situation, with thunderous looking clouds all around except above me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I headed out at 8:30 which is early by my standards but I needed to be home around noon to get a shower, feed and the bus into town followed by a 3km stroll to Croke Park to watch the Dubs in the league final.

I decided to keep things flat today so I headed into Chapelizod, up Knockmaroon Hill and went to Lucan via the Strawberry Beds. From Lucan I went Clonee, Ratoath, Ashbourne, Swords and back home through Dublin City.

It was chilly enough as I set out but it did get warmer in the lovely sunshine. It was an uneventful spin but I was glad to get it done.

75km, 235m @ 25.1km/h. Dublin 1-21, Cork 2-7. Happy out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Was over in the mid west so managed to get a cycle in in relatively unfamiliar territory - been there once or twice. Cycled along Clare side of Lough Derg - 41.8 km at 26.2 kmh. Beautiful weather, was expecting it to be freezing. The road surface from Killaloe to Obriensbridge is a dream - if only all cycle surfaces were like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I had planned a 100k route for yesterday as a test to see if I'm in any shape for the Orwell Randonee next week. I then decided that the best preparation for this spin was to play my first rugby match in about a year the night before! suffice to say I woke up Saturday morning feeling like I'd been hit by a bus and a lot of "roadrash" from a sandy pitch, but at least I had a excuse not to go out in that ****e weather now.

Feeling a little less banjaxed this morning I still had to mull over whether I had the motivation to go out on what for me would be a very tough route with a still aching body. Decided that while I might regret not going out, I definitely wouldn't regret going out so with that got myself sorted and out on the road. Stocking lane/military road to sally gap, down to Laragh and over the Wicklow gap, back via the Lacken side of the lakes with butter mountain and seskin (the easy side) thrown in at the end. 103km with 1700m in 4:37, I thought my legs were gone as I approached valleymount but a bit of food and water and I was grand again.

I was thinking everyone else was over dressed for the day in their tights and winter attire but once I got onto the decent of the Wicklow Gap I was cold for the rest of the ride, especially the legs, as there was a stiff enough cold headwind for the rest of the way.

Also a thanks to the lad who gave me a bit of encouragement as I was near the top of Wicklow Gap. As I'd never done it before I was wary that what I thought was the top would mock me with another hill once I'd reached that corner but when I mentioned to him that it was my first time up he said that is the top and it's only about 1k to go. Was exactly what I needed to hear as while the body was doing ok, the mind was beginning to raise white flags.

Still not sure if I've the fitness for an extra 50k and 500m of climbing but it's a little less daunting now. Will make a call on it during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Good work, Crocked. Sounds like you're in a similar boat to me. Just remember if it were easy, every dog and divil would be doing it. And you wouldn't get the sense of achievement when you do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got as far as Bunclody, and my back/neck was properly tired. Rather sick of the now busy, narrow road between Enniscorthy and Bunclody.

I do a spin from Dublin to south Wexford quite regularly taking in Bunclody, but the N11 and Enniscorthy would be a route I'd tend to avoid. I tend to go Rathfarnham, Enniskerry (or Sallygap) Laragh, Rathdrum, Aughrim, Tinahely, Shillelagh, Clonegal, Bunclody, or sometimes Carnew or Coolattin. Slightly longer and smaller roads than the N roads, but lots of nice villages, countryside and minimal traffic which for me makes the time fly and the spin much more enjoyable. Even going Enniscorthy-Bunclody I'd always go the road on the far side of the river coming out the long hill at Bradys cross rather than the N80 which is a pretty hateful road IMO. Going Dublin to Carlow town, I'd probably go the Aughrim Hacketstown route which is also very pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cycled to work (Lackagh to Parkmore Business Park East, Galway) for 1st time in about 9 months. Got a puncture on the way home....
    Going to order Schwalbe Marathon tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Crocked wrote: »
    I had planned a 100k route for yesterday as a test to see if I'm in any shape for the Orwell Randonee next week. I then decided that the best preparation for this spin was to play my first rugby match in about a year the night before! suffice to say I woke up Saturday morning feeling like I'd been hit by a bus and a lot of "roadrash" from a sandy pitch, but at least I had a excuse not to go out in that ****e weather now.

Feeling a little less banjaxed this morning I still had to mull over whether I had the motivation to go out on what for me would be a very tough route with a still aching body. Decided that while I might regret not going out, I definitely wouldn't regret going out so with that got myself sorted and out on the road. Stocking lane/military road to sally gap, down to Laragh and over the Wicklow gap, back via the Lacken side of the lakes with butter mountain and seskin (the easy side) thrown in at the end. 103km with 1700m in 4:37, I thought my legs were gone as I approached valleymount but a bit of food and water and I was grand again.

I was thinking everyone else was over dressed for the day in their tights and winter attire but once I got onto the decent of the Wicklow Gap I was cold for the rest of the ride, especially the legs, as there was a stiff enough cold headwind for the rest of the way.

Also a thanks to the lad who gave me a bit of encouragement as I was near the top of Wicklow Gap. As I'd never done it before I was wary that what I thought was the top would mock me with another hill once I'd reached that corner but when I mentioned to him that it was my first time up he said that is the top and it's only about 1k to go. Was exactly what I needed to hear as while the body was doing ok, the mind was beginning to raise white flags.

Still not sure if I've the fitness for an extra 50k and 500m of climbing but it's a little less daunting now. Will make a call on it during the week

Its all in the head. Keep the legs spinning and you,ll be grand. You wont be the only 1 suffering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

smacl wrote: »
    I do a spin from Dublin to south Wexford quite regularly taking in Bunclody, but the N11 and Enniscorthy would be a route I'd tend to avoid. I tend to go Rathfarnham, Enniskerry (or Sallygap) Laragh, Rathdrum, Aughrim, Tinahely, Shillelagh, Clonegal, Bunclody, or sometimes Carnew or Coolattin. Slightly longer and smaller roads than the N roads, but lots of nice villages, countryside and minimal traffic which for me makes the time fly and the spin much more enjoyable. Even going Enniscorthy-Bunclody I'd always go the road on the far side of the river coming out the long hill at Bradys cross rather than the N80 which is a pretty hateful road IMO. Going Dublin to Carlow town, I'd probably go the Aughrim Hacketstown route which is also very pleasant.

Thanks for that, I didn't know about that road on the other side of river :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Crocked wrote: »

go for it! the buzz you will get when you have done it will far outweigh any apprehensions prior to doing it & the pain while you are doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Thanks lads for the encouragement, decided this morning to just give it a lash, sure what's the worst that can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I thought after this that my tingling toes were gone, but no :(

Today on my cycle I had tingling & numb toes & fingers thanks to the wind; damn-blasted hail-stones and subsequent rain.
    Didn't know if the pain experienced was from the ice pelting down off me as I cycled against the wind or from me beating a time I done last-year on the route I cycled today.

Don't know when I last arrived home cold & wet with the bike filthy but feeling all refreshed & energetic after a tough, but lovely cycle this afternoon in the hail, rain & wind. It was fun!

Gotta Love Cycling,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fecking Arctic blast was a killer today, where did that come from? Pelted with hailstones from Carrickmines to Enniskerry aswell and all I was wearing was an Aldi running tshirt, it was warm when I left Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Couldn't get out of the house so had to endure the Sufferfest Violator. By christ I'm unfit.

Screenshot_2015-04-26-18-34-43_zpssiksfsvs.png
    20150426_181850_zpshg2tmgn8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Doing hills, a lot. A strange torture, that I like.

It's like "training"

Over the moon to have passed half the Strava climbing challenge this month :D

4,500 meters for a month.

wHoop! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I finally got back into action this weekend with 60km and 500 or so metres climbed. I was horrendously slow although my bike handling and confidence have grown.

Was very happy to have been out despite my crapness. (An early highlight was some English chap surging past me up Cruagh while exclaiming 'this faaaaacking hill just doesn't stop!').

Kept it rolling yesterday despite the insomnia monster with a 6am start for the Cruagh-Stocking lane loop.

Did another jaunt to the park this morning and took the 'scenic' route back from class via the park where I discovered that my GPS hadn't been recording since Abbey street :(

still miles are miles. Hope to do more after work adventuring once I get Wolfgang Beaterson back on the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement