Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Went for my first spin in really bad weather, some torrential rain for most of the 30km that we settled on doing,

my overshoes kept the water out for the first 20k, then there was puddles in my shoes, I presume the water came in from below, was soaked up as far as my waist, might have to look at getting better bib tights for the rain, but my upper body was mostly dry, the Gabba is a serious bit of kit, first time wearing it in the rain, and the only for water soaking up the shoulder straps of my bibs, I would have been total dry, should have gotten the long sleave one, the nanoflex arm warmers werent great, they let the cold in, and eventually the water.

All in all, I really enjoyed the spin in the rain, as the guy I was with mentioned, its like when you were a kid playing in the rain, you didnt care if you got wet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Coleraine to Malin Head to Derry. 133k, 1k climbing.

Nasty conditions, big headwind for most of the day, raining heavily for afternoon leg. Thankfully had a partner so we were looking out for each other. My 'winter' gloves not worth a damn when wet, fingers went through various stages of numbness and pins and needles, stopped for a wee while to warm them a bit (wondered if possible to get frostbite from wind & rain, but they're fine now).

Very tired but not sore so happy out.

YBvdgUMl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Nothing in the legs this morning crawled up through Edmonstown then took the weak person's escape chute through Whitechurch and back through Rathfarnham.

Think I over did it on Commutourer last night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You can get our absolution, but there are no excuses with your inner self. Think about it the next time, you blatant rule#5 evader.

See you at the viewing point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Trojan wrote: »
    Coleraine to Malin Head to Derry. 133k, 1k climbing.

I get the feeling that's a CAS spin. Well done Trojan. Next year, I hope to do it entirely. Well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

First day back on the bike after doing my collar bone in. I'm unfit as hell and suffered. On the plus side I finally got to cycle my new bike. I'm finding it hard to get on with the new saddle at the moment so I might splash out on something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Went out to get some climbing in before saturday. Ticknock,kilmashouge,cruagh,stocking lane then over to glencullen and up burrow road followed by ticknock for a second time.
    Had sleet and hail a couple of times so Saturday could be interesting as I didn't even go as far as sally gap. Descending was a nightmare and brought my average speed right down and there was a nasty head wind up the climbs.
    72km,1665 metres climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/294794779

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I admire your will to suffer.

(So many PRs on such a difficult route! Awesome.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Alek wrote: »
    I admire your will to suffer.

(So many PRs on such a difficult route! Awesome.)

Thanks, looks like all them horrible commutes to work and lunch time spins in the winter have paid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Boscoirl wrote: »
    .....then there was puddles in my shoes...

I hate the rain. I won't go out in it. That said, If I am out and get caught in the rain, once I get the puddles in my shoes then I don't care anymore and I carry on. It's a turning point for me.

I still hate the rain (as it lashes down outside at the moment). I placed an order on Wiggle to make me feel better. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

My weeky spin to Howth was disrupted today, not the spin but my attempt at a PR up the hill. From the Sutton side just past the golf club there was roadworks, managed to get through this with a few seconds delay as I timed the lights well, then on the drag up to the summit there was another set of works, bigger this time as they are digging up and resurfacing the road. It was like pave on the unfinished surface and I mistimed the flow this time. There was no fun in coming back up from the harbour and trying to descend through those works again so I missed 5k distance and finished with 95k! D'oh. Bright side is the new surface looks loverly and the coffee in Portmarnock is top notch. Nice day although breezy on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Luxman wrote: »
    My weeky spin to Howth was disrupted today, not the spin but my attempt at a PR up the hill. From the Sutton side just past the golf club there was roadworks, managed to get through this with a few seconds delay as I timed the lights well, then on the drag up to the summit there was another set of works, bigger this time as they are digging up and resurfacing the road. It was like pave on the unfinished surface and I mistimed the flow this time. There was no fun in coming back up from the harbour and trying to descend through those works again so I missed 5k distance and finished with 95k! D'oh. Bright side is the new surface looks loverly and the coffee in Portmarnock is top notch. Nice day although breezy on the way home.

If your going up again take a right at the summit and follow the road down as far as the T junction at the GAA club and go right it,ll bring you out down from the field with the donkeys or if your feeling brave just go straight down and you,ll end up on the other side of the church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

crosstownk wrote: »
    I placed an order on Wiggle to make me feel better. :o

do share :p

neris wrote: »
    If your going up again take a right at the summit and follow the road down as far as the T junction at the GAA club and go right it,ll bring you out down from the field with the donkeys or if your feeling brave just go straight down and you,ll end up on the other side of the church

Thanks, could you throw some road names in there for me to help me map it out for future reference please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dunworth1 wrote: »
    do share :p

Nothing spectacular. Just some High 5 stuff, chamois cream and bottle cages (my current crappy one lets the bottle rattle which drives me insane).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭McGrath5

My first "proper" cycle in about a month, a fair amount of climbing for me.
    Well pleased that I did Stocking Lane in one go without having to stop for a rest.

https://www.strava.com/activities/295383675

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

neris wrote: »
    Luxman wrote: »
    Thanks, could you throw some road names in there for me to help me map it out for future reference please?
    Neris is referring to Balkill Rd/Dungriffin Rd for the donkeys or Balkill Rd/Balglass Rd if coming out at the church.

If taking the latter, take extreme care if it is wet. There's a 20% descent at the bend.

Neris is referring to Balkill Rd/Dungriffin Rd for the donkeys or Balkill Rd/Balglass Rd if coming out at the church.

If taking the latter, take extreme care if it is wet. There's a 20% descent at the bend.

Thanks WA, got my geography sorted now, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I never meant to take cycling seriously. I still don't.

I think.

:/

I seem to be doing hills a lot now.

The group I go out with want to do hills :(

I've been busting my thighs all week but resting now.

I'm finishing off April with 815 km done and a (for me) massive 5,136 (meters, you pricks) :) climbed.

I'm starting to wonder if my missus has paid people to take me up hills that will give me a heart attack.

She's quite clever that way.

I never meant to take cycling seriously. I still don't.

I think.

:/

I seem to be doing hills a lot now.

The group I go out with want to do hills :(

I've been busting my thighs all week but resting now.

I'm finishing off April with 815 km done and a (for me) massive 5,136 km climbed.

I'm starting to wonder if my missus has paid people to take me up hills that will give me a heart attack.

She's quite clever that way.

Holy vertical metres Batman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The group I go out with want to do hills
    I'm finishing off April with 815 km done and a (for me) massive 5,136 km climbed..

6k climbing for every 1 k distance ..
    That's some steep hill :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Went out out to take a crack at the Wall near Enniskerry (have done the Balinagee hill part a few times but never the full climb). Destroyed myself, almost threw up at the top..missed out on the top 10 by 5 seconds :mad: :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/295576814/segments/6946007353

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Daroxtar wrote: »
    6k climbing for every 1 k distance ..
    That's some steep hill :D

They were steep hills!

I meant meters :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

Good climbing spin today which included Mt Leinster up to the mast!! 57km 1362m great weather!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

A short but very enjoyable 30km on my new AR5 this evening, no jacket, gloves, roll on the summer, I'm getting the gu!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

colm18 wrote: »
    Went out out to take a crack at the Wall near Enniskerry (have done the Balinagee hill part a few times but never the full climb). Destroyed myself, almost threw up at the top..missed out on the top 10 by 5 seconds :mad: :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/295576814/segments/6946007353

Isn't the bit down near the bridge only massive? How are the pot-holes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

1st century in 4 years. flattish course over to swords and on up to garristown then towards ardcath, duleek, bellewstown, naul and home. Felt like a bit of a gob****e going out at 5pm in tights, long sleeve jersey, gilet and shoe covers passing guys in shorts and jerseys but by the time i got to bellewstown was glad Id taken then. Took the climb from the duleek/julianstown road up by the quarry. Did it few times years ago and always thought it was worse

101.8km (Garmin said 102)
    715m climbing
    4 hours 12 mins.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Isn't the bit down near the bridge only massive? How are the pot-holes?

Yeah the road surface there is awful,you wouldn't want to be doing any kind of speed on the descent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Well my morning spin went like this
    20150501_062429.jpg

20150501_063246.jpg

Luckily it happened just outside the gate, and in fairness to Shimano it's a new cleat that I dropped on the way home before fitting that got driven over by a Dublin bus....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What is The Wall in Enniskerry?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement