Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Headed out with a friend to the "original" Randonee route today but wussed out on the initial loop over to Glencree and headed straight to Enniskerry. All went well on the Wall, the Long Hill and Lugala but my friend took a right at Sally Gap and headed home. It was his first visit to Wicklow this year and he found it a bit lumpier than NCD!
    Was about to head off to Laragh solo into a headwind when a group of Orwell cyclists invited me to join them. It certainly made the ride a lot more enjoyable and encouraged me to stay with them for the rest of the route. The legs were still okay on the Wicklow Gap but, as usual, the ups and downs around the lakes took their toll. By the time I got to the final section of the climb up to Sally Gap, I was doing around 8kph and wondering about falling over or doing the walk of shame. Somehow I made it to the crossroads without doing either and things naturally got better from then on with a tailwind and mainly downhill all the way back to Dundrum. Thanks to all the gang for the encouragement, company and snack stops. I promise I will get rid of that creaking saddle before we next meet.
    141k for me as opposed to 156 for the full Randonee and 2227m at an average of 22.2kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Right, get your laughter gear on, I was out yesterday for a spin, about 2k from the house I thought I forgot the back door key, I stopped and checked the pockets and decided it best I get home and retrieve said key. I cycled up the side of my house across the cobble lock and extracted key from the door, I then navigated my way back to the front of the house taking a sharp left hander on the very wet cobble lock towards the driveway and the front wheel did what physics said it should, I was clipped in and and came down at about 0.5kph. A small branchy type bush attacked my neck, it felt very minor. Thinking there was not other injury I went on my way. Later that evening the left leg started to ache, I wondered why and then found the decorative piece of brick beside the attacking plant that I must have landed on, it was bloody sore today.

Ye can all stop laughing now, Taxman did it in style (get well soon).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to strava, i'd have been passing the wooden bridge at about ten to seven. that south wind blowing across the bay was a hoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

A pleasant 60km today from home to Dublin, one way. Bumped into a veteran of the road on the N11 coming through Newtown - 76 years young and he was kind enough to slow down for me for a bit of company. Gentleman. Highest ever average speed today, (27.9), highest ever speed (71.2) 36 pbs on strava. Wind? What wind? 😳

Never before have I wished a taxman well but today I do - a nasty tumble, hope you're ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    ...Just as an aside, there's a spectacular descent for anyone willing to travel a bit - the Spelga Dam climb from Hiltown Co Down, with a smooth 15km descent into Kilkeel...
    Isn't there a dangerous very sharp double hairpin on that descent? I did it in heavy rain and thankfully was warned in advance about it. Otherwise I think I would have left the road!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like i went around howth in the opposite direction to you, i did it clockwise.
    you did seem a bit lost in thought, to be fair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Esroh wrote: »
    Is the Spelga on the GrandFondo route. Did it in 08 ToI cycle challenge and still my pb ;-)

I think that was the first and only time I did it too :)

i've never done it that way (well, out of the half dozen times i have done it) - i don't like the idea of that steep downhill into the village. at least they seem to have resurfaced that road.

and that was my first time this year. i was blowing serious amounts of black smoke going up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

into Kilkeel.

The whole of Ireland is cycling all over Kilkeel if recent Garmin results are to be believed. :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Weepsie wrote: »
    The new road is lovely have to say, but unfortunately it's the exception rather than the norm for most of the roads. I'll give the other direction a go eventually, the last bit of the descent can get congested so I know what you mean.
    Out with family today walking Howth. They ate chips in Howth village and I had to walk back to the summit pub to get the car. Bugger of a hill but today I wished I had my wheels😜

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Isn't there a dangerous very sharp double hairpin on that descent? I did it in heavy rain and thankfully was warned in advance about it. Otherwise I think I would have left the road!

There is but its on the way up from Hiltown. Once you pass the Dam its a right down to Kikeel - almost a completely straight run.

If you came up from Kilkeel and went over the Dam to Hiltown yes, you would hit that hairpin. Better to come up that way :)

crosstownk wrote: »
    The whole of Ireland is cycling all over Kilkeel if recent Garmin results are to be believed. :pac::D

Oh ?? I didnt see. Or am I missing something :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

72km today, from Blessington up to the Sally Gap, down to Laragh and back via the Wicklow Gap and Valleymount. First trip up to Wicklow this year, so wasn't expecting too much, but still set a few PRs, including descent off the Wicklow Gap. Unfortunately my Garmin made a mess of my HR reading for a lot of it, so that's all a bit rubbish (e.g. I was not under 100 going up the Wicklow Gap!). Suspect my legs will be heavy for the commute tomorrow!

Oh ?? I didnt see. Or am I missing something :pac:
    Garmin connect doesn't seem to recognise ROI mapping now and defaults to the nearest signal in the UK to indicate where the ride begins which for most of Dublin seems to be Kilkeel or Crossmaglen if in west Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

60 km today with a few climbs thrown in , terrible wind out there , everything hurts including my back which I somehow strained taking off my cycling shoes ... Oh the shame ����

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Started off in beautiful sunshine and 50km later came home extremely wet, soggy and frozen. Got in a few real hills for first time year - haven't gotten any easier since last I did them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hadn't been out on the weekend for ages. So decided to head up to the hills from castleknock, heading to killakee then up stocking lane and continued up and over to the featherbeds.

Got the taste of the hills so headed up to kippure for a gander and a banana break. Continued down the sally gap, home via the embankment, city west and lucan. 92km covered, 3:45 rolling and just shy of 1200 m of climbing. Happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Slideways

First post in the cycling forum.

Ive been running for years but got back in the saddle about a year ago and still trying to get my cycling legs back. Headed out this morning after a particularly grueling 25k trail run yesterday.

65k in 2.5hrs on mostly flat terrain. Mentally struggled with my pace on the return leg until some lady passed me. Tucked in behind her for a few K and then hitched up my big girl pants and got back up to an average 27kph which at this stage Im happy to trundle along at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Best wishes Taxman - a bit soon after your last tumble, a speedy recovery. Not a fan of that particular stretch as there always seems to be someone about to do something stupid.

Just as an aside, there's a spectacular descent for anyone willing to travel a bit - the Spelga Dam climb from Hiltown Co Down, with a smooth 15km descent into Kilkeel. Am not great on downhills but a few weeks ago I averaged about 64 for the whole thing and hit about 78 ( few of the other lads were hitting mid 80s/90kmph ).

ridewithgps.com/routes/7760374

I'll have to put that hill on "the list".
    My folks are in Cranfield, near Kilkeel most weekends. I'll have to..eh.. visit them soon. I'm a good son like that!

That aside, hope you heal well & fast Taxman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Just as an aside, there's a spectacular descent for anyone willing to travel a bit - the Spelga Dam climb from Hiltown Co Down, with a smooth 15km descent into Kilkeel. Am not great on downhills but a few weeks ago I averaged about 64 for the whole thing and hit about 78 ( few of the other lads were hitting mid 80s/90kmph ).

I was on that spin. Hit 82kph on the Thorn on that descent. Steady as a rock... :cool:

I even occasionally hit 8.2kph on the ascent... ;)

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I was on that spin. Hit 82kph on the Thorn on that descent. Steady as a rock... :cool:

I even occasionally hit 8.2kph on the ascent... ;)

Tis a cracking machine alright ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

No cycle today but got out again on Sunday for a 105km. Did first 80km solo in quite strong winds. Arranged to meet my wife's nephew and cycled with him for the last 25km. Tough enough day with the wind and the fact I was tired starting out to begin with.

Went over Lally's Mountain towards Westport. I've done that ride a good few times but whatever got into me this time, the descent frightened the sh!te out of me. I was bricking it. The road is a total disgrace and I just had visions of me hitting a bump/hollow and coming off the bike at 60km/hr. Throw in the potential of a few sheep crossing the road in front of me and I was just relieved to safely negotiate the decent. Strange one though as I never got fear like that (at least that I can remember) on any descent before. Might stay away from there for a little while I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

yuagchYl.jpg
    128km including Caha Pass. Report.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

what a poxy morning

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

First day commuting with a pannier (panniers?) today and it went quite well. It was really nice to get the weight off my back and I didn't notice any extra heavyness on the back wheel. I had the wind behind me coming in so we'll see how it goes on the run home. I was a little para that I was going to hit a bump and the bag was going to pop off but it seemed quite solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

godtabh wrote: »
    what a poxy morning

Indeed. Had a 2 hour window for a recovery quick spin so headed from Greystones to Wicklow town and back on the coast road.

Serious crosswind all the way which ruined the spin but the positive side was I learned more about bike handling today than I have in the last year.

Managed to have low speed tumble too, the first in a long long time - nothing too drastic but am bruised on my hip and thigh, and I know it will be stiff tomorrow.

47k, 27.1 average, 1hr 44 on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Had the day off, but was worried by the weather this morning - yes, I'm a wuss. Anyway brighten up after lunch and I took my chance. Showing off how flat it is around me, I varied my route and doubled my climbing to 278m (over 40km) averaged at 25.9 - at least a baseline to beat the next time I'm out that direction.

Paddy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

happyhappy wrote: »
    Indeed. Had a 2 hour window for a recovery quick spin so headed from Greystones to Wicklow town and back on the coast road.

Serious crosswind all the way which ruined the spin but the positive side was I learned more about bike handling today than I have in the last year.

Managed to have low speed tumble too, the first in a long long time - nothing too drastic but am bruised on my hip and thigh, and I know it will be stiff tomorrow.

47k, 27.1 average, 1hr 44 on the road.

I lost the back wheel a few times today and got caught by side winds all morning. Still good to get out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Braver men than I. Relegated myself to the park after seeing how wet it was . Still nearly came a cropper exiting over the cobbles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement