Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

85k up stocking to laragh back by roundwood and enniskerry.
    Felt like there was more in the tank which to me is a sign of progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I bought a bike for weight loss a fitness. Cycled for 10 mins today and had to stop with saddle rape pain ha feel pretty crappy reading all the comments with people cycling 50+ k haha :(

I agree with Unknown Soldier, this thread is for anyone who got out and cycled their bike no matter how fast, how hilly or for how long.

I found a post of mine from two years ago on this thread - "I'm not on the wimp list. 30km done today, not much by some peoples standards but it'll do."

Now I'm riding 400km in a day. You've just got to keep going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Felt good until after the Gap but then i just died, don't even know how i made it home! ....Easily the most tired I've ever been on a bike.

Sounds like you might have bonked. Did you eat and drink much on the cycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Sounds like you might have bonked. Did you eat and drink much on the cycle?

Had two energy bars four gels a carbohydrate drink and an electrolyte drink. I thought it would be enough but obviously not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Had two energy bars four gels a carbohydrate drink and an electrolyte drink. I thought it would be enough but obviously not!

Make some flapjacks for yourself for long spins

http://timwiggins.blogspot.ie/2012/06/recipe-high-energy-flapjacks.html?m=1

Bring a gel or two but only use in an emergency.

Drink plenty and keep hydrated in general. I found that when I kept properly hydrated from day to day it became a lot easier to go for longer on the bike without too much food. There are guys on here who can ride for 100km and eat hardly anything, if anything at all. I can't do that but if you had the inclination I think you could train yourself to do that. Can't do that though without bring properly hydrated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

123kms today. Greystones Rathnew Gleneally Rathdrum Aughrim Slieve Maan Shay Elliot Wicklow Gap and home via Kilmacanoge. Felt good until after the Gap but then i just died, don't even know how i made it home! Was my first time up SM and SE and wanted to do them before the Wicklow 200. A bit worried about after today to be honest. Still, my longest ever cycle(by 3 kms) and a lot of climbing for me! Easily the most tired I've ever been on a bike.

Where you cycling on your own? If you get in a group on the Wicklow 200 you can add 50+ to that, no hassle.
    So that spin is a good indication you will get thru it, imho.

100.2 km yesterday, home to laragh to Sally Gap to manor kilbride to brittas and home. Stopped in the kwik-e-mart in Brittas on the way back, they do a great chicken and cheese roll.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dónal wrote: »
    100.2 km yesterday, home to laragh to Sally Gap to manor kilbride to brittas and home. Stopped in the kwik-e-mart in Brittas on the way back, they do a great chicken and cheese roll.

What was the weather like up there? Was gona go but seemed very windy.

Instead went to D'North side for the first time. Up howth hill. Not sure if it was the easy side or not. Will try the other one next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

On a bit of a bad run for meeting idiots at the moment. Took the cycle lane from Bolton Street into the top of Capel Street. Taxi driver coming towards me swerved into cycle lane to frighten me, then proceeded to verbally abuse me telling me I'm cycling the wrong way down the street, learn rules of the road etc.

It's a contra flow cycle lane, so I was perfectly entitled to be where I was.

Here's the friendly driver, he didn't realised he was being recorded,

344xov4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

46 km ballyvaughan lisdoonvarna kilfenora and back . Nice tailwind once I turned for home is the only good thing . And the burren still looks nice in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ozzy jr wrote: »
    On a bit of a bad run for meeting idiots at the moment. Took the cycle lane from Bolton Street into the top of Capel Street. Taxi driver coming towards me swerved into cycle lane to frighten me, then proceeded to verbally abuse me telling me I'm cycling the wrong way down the street, learn rules of the road etc.

It's a contra flow cycle lane, so I was perfectly entitled to be where I was.

Here's the friendly driver, he didn't realised he was being recorded,

344xov4.jpg

All the way to the guards with that the and clip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Kept it local today (Portmarnock and Howth).

I'm doing the Cycle de Gaps4DSI next Saturday so wanted to chuck in a hill ride today.. Done two laps of Howth, mostly into head & cross winds and at times low clouds.

One area of concern (for tourists).. I went down to The Bailey and the sheer number of tourists walking to the edge of the cliffs in savage winds was truly scary.. I warned a few of the dangerous, esp in these very high winds but to no avail.

I scarpered home before I witnessed an accident ~ Howth cliffs are to be respected in these winds.

Not sure if you can see how choppy the water is in this pic..

348274.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Drumcondra, Swords, Malahide, Portmarnick, Howth Head, coffee & cake and home. Crosswind at times was a bitch. Overall very enjoyable.

Now to walk the dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Had a great weekend on the bike. On Saturday I headed up the slieve blooms and did 3 climbs, Wolftrap, The Cut and Glendine drive (I think). It was a beautiful day for climbing.

123km, 28.8km/h, 998m

https://www.strava.com/activities/301003501

Here's the bike at the top of the Cut

D84D5B58-D8FA-452E-BA4B-4AA0124FF44A_zpsobuga1b9.jpg

Today I went out and did a local charity cycle. It was a tough day with a fast pace and a nasty headwind. It was tough work and my legs died off at 80km but I managed to keep spinning the legs.

104.8km, 30.6km/h, 413m

https://www.strava.com/activities/301742710

BTW was meant to say I found a pump and multi tool opposite St Anne's park if any one is missing one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

DMW22 wrote: »
    Had a great weekend on the bike. On Saturday I headed up the slieve blooms and did 3 climbs, Wolftrap, The Cut and Glendine drive (I think). It was a beautiful day for climbing.

123km, 28.8km/h, 998m

[URL*="http://s792.photobucket.com/user/DMW22308/media/Mobile Uploads/D84D5B58-D8FA-452E-BA4B-4AA0124FF44A_zpsobuga1b9.jpg.html"][IMG*]http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy208/DMW22308/Mobile Uploads/D84D5B58-D8FA-452E-BA4B-4AA0124FF44A_zpsobuga1b9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Today I went out and did a local charity cycle. It was a tough day with a fast pace and a nasty headwind. It was tough work and my legs died off at 80km but I managed to keep spinning the legs.

104.8km, 30.6km/h, 413m

You'd know if you did the Glendine, one to look forward to for the future.

https://www.strava.com/segments/7238384,

Still that's a lovely spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

terrydel wrote: »
    Where you cycling on your own? If you get in a group on the Wicklow 200 you can add 50+ to that, no hassle.
    So that spin is a good indication you will get thru it, imho.

Yeah was on my own so hoping that being in a group on the day will be better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭custom_build

I'm doing the Cycle de Gaps4DSI next Saturday so wanted to chuck in a hill ride today..

Hi I'm also heading out on the lap de gaps next saturday as a first sportive, the start time is from 8 until 10. i'd like to head out with a group if possible, so my question is what time do you think would most people be leaving at?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Went out at 7am and rain was light, wind was strong. Within an hour it was torrential and wind had me down to pushing close on 23/24 kmph at most. Headed South for the first 39km into the wind, then had it lovely on my way home! :D Clicked up just under 79km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Took a trip down to Midleton for the Tour de Cure. The 100 Km route which was a new one from previous years. Midleton -Youghal - Knockanore - Lismore - Tallow - Midleton. There was a mighty turnout as per usual for this event. Top notch food stop at Lismore before the run to home where we joined up with the Midleton tri club who provided excellent drafting and guided us home so a tip of the hat to them. An excellent day all around and we just managed to avoid the rain.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    What was the weather like up there? Was gona go but seemed very windy.

Instead went to D'North side for the first time. Up howth hill. Not sure if it was the easy side or not. Will try the other one next time

Great out there, wind was grand and the sun was out for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

godtabh wrote: »

If you took a left at Sutton Cross and kept the sea/bay area to your right you took the easy side.

If you went the harbour and up by the church you went the hard side, its tough enough but its much shorter than the drag up the easy side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Very windy 75km - cross winds meant I was afraid to take too many drinks. Came home with raring headache. 24avg which is good for me - especially seeing as I walked one of the hills. My knees just begged me to stop cycling. Glad I did the route though - this time last year I would have turned over in bed and stayed there for the morning on hearing the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

Struggled up the Corrabut gap today that's a hard climb on a nice day never mind when the wind is adamant your not getting to the top :eek: and then had to fight it all the way back to Wexford tough but enjoyable day going to check out adverts now for a new set of legs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

About 100km today, slow up the gap from military road, tough wind; flew up from luggala with the wind, then hammered it all the way back to rathfarnham with the wind, great crack. Apart from a serious speed wobble at 75km per hour down the gap coming into a bend. Gotta love travelling the same route on same day from both direction, payback!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

If you took a left at Sutton Cross and kept the sea/bay area to your right you took the easy side.

If you went the harbour and up by the church you went the hard side, its tough enough but its much shorter than the drag up the easy side.

is there an easy side ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

sullzz wrote: »
    is there an easy side ?
    Depends on how often you do the hard side :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

DMW22 wrote: »

123km, 28.8km/h, 998m

D84D5B58-D8FA-452E-BA4B-4AA0124FF44A_zpsobuga1b9.jpg

104.8km, 30.6km/h, 413m

All I can see is the bike... beautifull :)
    Hi I'm also heading out on the lap de gaps next saturday as a first sportive, the start time is from 8 until 10. i'd like to head out with a group if possible, so my question is what time do you think would most people be leaving at?

I'm doing the Laps De Gaps 100 with a group that will be taking it fairly handy/casual, so if you want to hook up, PM me. I think we're meeting at 8:30

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

What a difference a few hours make!
    Went out at 8am for 20k spin average 28.3km/hr had a few bits to do. On the way back home wind had picked up considerably and onlyanaged 24.3 on way back.
    Would have loved a longer spin earlier weather was lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The confirmation sent out makes no mention of a staggered start so I suspect there will be a big gang heading off at 10.00.

Turning right at Sutton Cross is generally regarded as the easy side. Even thought it is a lot longer, the gradient is much easier and there is even a downhill bit in the middle. Heading up from Howth Village there is a particularly steep stretch just after the church. When you start to find that easy, you can keep right at the church!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement