Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you took a left at Sutton Cross and kept the sea/bay area to your right you took the easy side.

If you went the harbour and up by the church you went the hard side, its tough enough but its much shorter than the drag up the easy side.

I went left I believe with the coast on my left as I came down.

THis is the route I took

https://www.strava.com/activities/301611477

Was planning to do both sides but left late and need to get back to study

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

godtabh wrote: »

THis is the route I took

The tougher side but nothing like what's lies South of Stepaside.

Welcome to DNS by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

A 100km yesterday from Kinsale to Clonakilty, followed another 100km for the Tour de cure in Midleton today. Got to chat to Stephen Roche for about 5km on the cycle too which was a nice bonus. But I had some fear of taking him out on a descent. His bike was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

The 3 climbs cycle in Killarney. Non stop rain and a bugger of a head wind. You couldn't get wetter if you jumped in a swimming pool. 99.9 km in 4hr 31 m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Dónal wrote: »
    100.2 km yesterday, home to laragh to Sally Gap to manor kilbride to brittas and home. Stopped in the kwik-e-mart in Brittas on the way back, they do a great chicken and cheese roll.

Good to know about those sambos hehehe.

• Advertisement

DMW22 wrote: »

Here's the bike at the top of the Cut

D84D5B58-D8FA-452E-BA4B-4AA0124FF44A_zpsobuga1b9.jpg

CF SL 9.0 ultegra? Savage bike, my bro has one, its a work of art and ridiculously light.

108km, 4hrs32mins, avg 23.9.
    Longest cycle since late last summer/early autumn, cant quite recall.
    From my home in Clondalkin up Ballinascorney, onto Sally Gap, very windy towards the end, my skinny frame getting pushed right into the left. Then onto Laragh, stopoff there for 20 mins or so at the café. They do great soup there I must say :D
    And those Stoats bars are class, gonna get me a job lot of those!
    Was in two minds all day on what way to come back. I'm cycling about 2.5 years now seriously, and even tho summer 2014 was a bit of a write off with a bad back, I've never cycled the Wicklow Gap from Laragh, only into Laragh.
    Really wanted to do it today, and once I asked a few folk at the café of the rough distance to the top, my mind was made up. And didn't fancy the slog back up past Glenmacnass to Sally Gap again, a right drag and the wind was awful coming over.
    Turned out a great decision in the end, all the way up the Gap was pretty much windless and actually enjoyed the climb, taking it slowish and steady, never really feeling a struggle. Whats all the fuss about!!
    Just coming off the top, met a fellow cyclist, who obviously climbed it better than I did :p but got chatting and we stuck together into Blessington, which was great as it made the time and distance fly. Fair play Gene, and nice to meet you.
    I was struggling for the last 2k upto the N81, but was nice to have someone push me a bit, I need it!
    Then onto the N81 it was happy days, tailwind all the way back. Started to ache a bit at this stage but never felt tired so that'll do me nicely.
    Legs feeling it now, but glad to get the distance in, todays goal was 100, so glad I did what I did and feel I've got more in the tank.
    Good day all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Did a fundraiser for the Leinster Fleadh yesterday. Jokes with the organisers (who I know personally) that I was paying €25 to do a route I do anyway :D

Took it easy for the first half then pushed hard on the second. Beat my previous best on the Summerhill to Kilcock segment by 8 minutes with an avg of 28.7kph and then the Kilcock to Maynooth segment 8kph faster than I've ever done it. Always good to see improvements like that.

https://www.strava.com/activities/300895977

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

pretty challenging Audax this weekend on the first run of "North to the South 400" distance of 408km with 4353m climbing...

nice route leaving Belfast at 6am via Antrim and Coleraine to the ferry at Magilligan (food stop waiting for ferry to Greencastle) the 2km crossing doesn't count :)).

Cooks Hill was the first major climb then the picturesque route around to Malin Head heading off to the second major climb up the Gap of Mamore (N-S winding route)... decided on a food stop in Buncranna to refule and to give the legs a little rest after the two short sharp shocks...

Travelled straight through Derry and on to the Sperrin Mountains as night approached... high beam lights on for some undulating climbs/descents over 50km hitting two big summits on some rough roads for the second half and some gusty winds at the top... final descent was a challenging surface but weaved a path with some focus...

Food stop in Cookstown, and some fast pace work on the final 80km route on relatively flat country roads as dawn hit via Portadown and then on to Lisburn back to Belfast...

well organised, some spectacular views but a toughie... http://www.audaxireland.org/calendar/gazetteer/400km-events/north-to-the-south-400/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

godtabh wrote: »

THis is the route I took

https://www.strava.com/activities/301611477

Was planning to do both sides but left late and need to get back to study

OK you went the hard side.. And now as someone said when you find that easy take a right at the church.

If you want to take in some scenery take the Thormanby Road from the summit down to the private ESB road and down to the gates of the Bailey Lighthouse, there are some really sunning views of the cliffs and south to Dublin bay and on a good day you'll see the coast down as far as Arklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

5:30 - 7:32 from Dun Laoghaire to Howth and back 42.8km 2h02m... but lovely morning, and views, well worth getting up so early.

As a bonus I've seen this one in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

bit of cycling rage with another cyclist wearing headphones and overtaking other cyclists dangerously.

bit of verbals as i said to them they would cause an accident and then some more verbals directed at me letting me know this was Ireland - (i don't have an Irish accent) nice start to the day!

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    bit of cycling rage with another cyclist wearing headphones and overtaking other cyclists dangerously.

bit of verbals as i said to them they would cause an accident and then some more verbals directed at me letting me know this was Ireland - (i don't have an Irish accent) nice start to the day!

Bit of the oul racism eh! Don't sweat it, world is full of dickheads, cyclists and non cyclists :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

mugsymugsy wrote: »

Word of wisdom my friend - it's better to rage against the machine, than other cyclist.. and next time increase the speed and don't let him overtake you! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A quick spin earlier on. I flew up Cruagh road, I can certainly feel myself getting better at this cycling lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

terrydel wrote: »
    ...I've never cycled the Wicklow Gap from Laragh... ....... all the way up the Gap was pretty much windless and actually enjoyed the climb, taking it slowish and steady, never really feeling a struggle. Whats all the fuss about!!...
    Try it with a strong westerly blowing. You'll lose the will to live! :D
    flywheel wrote: »
    .... the second major climb up the Gap of Mamore (N-S winding route)... decided on a food stop in Buncranna to refule and to give the legs a little rest after the two short sharp shocks...
    Love the way you describe the Gap of Mamore as a 'sharp shock'. The 'Gates of Hell' is a more apt description. Makes Kilmashogue Lane look handy. Although relatively short, it's brutally steep in places. My Garmin was displaying 27% at one point and I've yet to do it without doing the walk of shame near the top. :o

(For some reason, the segment doesn't register on my Garmin when I upload. Going to try and do it again this summer).

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

terrydel wrote: »
    CF SL 9.0 ultegra? Savage bike, my bro has one, its a work of art and ridiculously light.

Yup that's the one. Every time I go for a cycle on it I love it even more. Love the Ultegra Di2!

I find it hard to go back to the Giant Defy for some training after spending the weekend on the Canyon

DMW22 wrote: »
    Yup that's the one. Every time I go for a cycle on it I love it even more. Love the Ultegra Di2!

I find it hard to go back to the Giant Defy for some training after spending the weekend on the Canyon

My bro ha mechanical ultegra, theyre some back either way!
    Ive a defy myself, don't be rubbing it in hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

The 3 climbs cycle in Killarney. Non stop rain and a bugger of a head wind. You couldn't get wetter if you jumped in a swimming pool. 99.9 km in 4hr 31 m.

Could you not manage the extra 100 meters??!!! :)
    That would do my nut in if I recorded a ride of 99.9km!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Had a puncture last week, was first time cycling in over 1/2 a year. Bought puncture 'resistant' tyres. Cycled to work again today, not far, about 8 miles. But just happy to be back in the saddle and hopefully will keep it up. It's a good feeling to be at work and have some exercise under your belt already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

G1032 wrote: »
    Could you not manage the extra 100 meters??!!! :)
    That would do my nut in if I recorded a ride of 99.9km!

Same with me, 99.6km. Hit save before i noticed! Would have done a few laps of the car park if I had of copped it! https://www.strava.com/activities/301767004

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

My 1st cycle to work of the year & my strava app decides to stay in bed! 29.7kms in 1 hour 13mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

MugMugs wrote: »
    I get the feeling that's a CAS spin. Well done Trojan. Next year, I hope to do it entirely. Well done :)

It was, good spot! They told us in the morning that they were only doing Malin Village, not the Head, so I recruited a partner in crime and we went off to add 32 hard kilometres to our day. A total of 9 did it as far as I know and it was a nasty auld bugger of a day in the end. The two of us didn't catch back onto the main group until the end at Derry.

The CAS was great though, really enjoyed it. If you're a hardcore cyclist it's a bit easy, but you can always make it harder on yourself with a different bike or gear :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Glengariff - Healy Pass - Laraugh - Kenmare - Caha Pass - Glengariff.
    Fabulous day to be off so headed to the Beara Peninsula :D. A nice 80 Km loop in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. And a nice bit of training for the Beara challenge. If only every day was like today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Club race tonight, one of my first covey league races since 2012 so was anxious/excited and the adrenlin had me nearly worn out all day! 3 days on the roller and decentish sleep with a good pot of pasta and nuts and protein left me in as good form as I have been in 3 or 4 years.
    Was put out in group 3, in or about 15 lads there was 4 lads there who I thought would be much stronger so I was trying to decide how to play it. With very very little race experience I soon discovered that they weren't going to work, with a strong wind behind us we did the first 1/2 of the race (20km) in a PR with an average of just under 40kmph. At this stage I had spent over 1/2 of the 20km at the front, what I was finding that each time I went back the pace dropped drastically and no one wanted to push it on. On 3 occassions on the way out one of the lads who I knew was a lot stronger than me made a break with another lad, on all 3 occassions no one went to bridge it and each time I went they just trailed behind me.

On the way back the wind was very strong, each time I went to the front we hit around 30kmph or so, I ensured that I just flicked out and went back the back, what began to happen was some lads were suffering, though I knew others weren't, so it turned that only 3 or 4 of us took turns at the front. AT one stage I spent probably 5 minutes at the front, i went to roll back on the outside and when I did the full line did the same, I went back in and they did the same, I said fuk that and just slowed down until they had to pass me, I stayed in for a bit of recovery and then each time I came up I was left on my own. I had to make a decision to go it alone or just try and sprint in on a pretty decent hill finish, I knew that 3 or 4 of them would kill me on the hill, as I am still too heavy at 92kg, about 1km from home 2 of the lads made a break, I took after them and caught them, we dropped a good few over the last couple of Kms so it was down to 8.
    The hill finish is around 70m long or so, I spoke to a fellow boardsie and he told me big ring, big gear at the back and use every bit of power I had.

At the bottom of the hill I was behind one lad on the inside, there was one along side him and one to my right, these were the 4 who were going to contest, the 2 lads on the outside took off, I got boxed on the outside so I chanced it big time and went up the inside, I was about 5 ft off the 2nd place lad with 10m left, really surprising to myself I was gaining but alas I ended up losing out by maybe a foot. The other lad took 1st by a bike length.
    Disappointed but happy that the legs and help didn't overly complain. Learned a few things tonight so onto the next round in a few weeks.
    Its good to be back, even if I am 5-10kg over the fatty line! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

44kms this evening. Greystones to Killiney and back. A bit chilly but a lovely evening for a spin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/304577812

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

52kms from Trim to Navan to Dunshaughlin and back to Trim. Bit hard going into the wind but when I headed back to Trim (with the wind at my back), my speed really picked up, averaging 30-33kph. Not bad going for a guy recovering from injury! I'm bloody sore now though😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

49.5km commute to work, always wanted to give it a shot, though maybe not in the rain.. Was on the full suss mtb, surprisingly good pace till it started lashing. Cycling around Dublin an eye opener.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

woke at 4am, couldn't get back to sleep so went out for a 33km spin at about 6am. lovely morning for it, i reckon i got the best of the day.

this morning's earworms were 'kerosene' by big black (brought on by the smell of jet fuel as i was passing the airport) and, rather bizarrely, 'what godzilla said to god when his name wasn't found in the book of life' by american music club.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Also went for an early spin about 6:15. Only ~20k around rathfarnham, up stocking lane, killakee, military road and back down. Have had very little time on the road bike of late so getting some early morning sun in the hills was pure joy.

348844.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement