Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

smacl wrote: »
    Also went for an early spin about 6:15. Only ~20k around rathfarnham, up stocking lane, killakee, military road and back down. Have had very little time on the road bike of late so getting some early morning sun in the hills was pure joy.

Lovely pic. Love that part of military road, do it all the time and it never fails to impress (or take my breath away), it's amazing to be so remote so near to urban life.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Rode an 80k sportive that was organised by Grand Canal Wheelers today in Daingean. It was a beautiful day and very well organised. Really enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next one :)

79.9km, 36.5km/h, 265m

https://www.strava.com/activities/305556144

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Tough spin this morning. Drumcondra, Dundrum, Borrow Lane, Military Road (I think) Enniskerry and home. It really wasn't happening for me. Legs felt very heavy. Glad to have made it home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

snollup wrote: »
    Tough spin this morning. Drumcondra, Dundrum, Borrow Lane, Military Road (I think) Enniskerry and home. It really wasn't happening for me. Legs felt very heavy. Glad to have made it home :D

Where is borrow lane? I live in Dundrum but if i am heading for the military road I always go up either cruagh hill or stocking lane. Is there another way to head up from Dundrum? (other than going out enniskerry road first)

tried google maps but didn't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

81km in 3 hours 10 mins.
    25.6km average.

Weird day - 4 seasons in 1.

Stillorgan out to Dunshaughlin and back through glasnevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

Fian wrote: »
    Where is borrow lane? I live in Dundrum but if i am heading for the military road I always go up either cruagh hill or stocking lane. Is there another way to head up from Dundrum? (other than going out enniskerry road first)

tried google maps but didn't find it.

He may have meant Burrow Road - leads up to Johnnie Foxes and can get to Enniskerry from there

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cycle4dsi / lap of the gaps 100km. Tough enough day out. Cycled there and back which brought the days tally to 172km with about 1800m of climbing.

Bike decided to stay in the bottom ring just as it set off, which was handy for the climbing but hammered my average - managed just shy of 25kph

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Lap de gaps, 105k in almost bang on 4 hours and 26.2 average. 1335 gain

Started slowly with a few lads from work but left them at Manor Kilbride to head up sally gap on the tail of a few club groups. I'd say strava and mapmyride etc were hammered with the tail wind, it was only the last 700 or so metres that needed da big lads on da back for climbing.

The spin from sg to laragh was a cross wind wobbletastic experience which is what it's all about, if it was easy sure everyone would be doing it!!
    Quick coffee and sambo in laragh and I left with a big group from clontarf cc and maynooth. Due to my slow start I felt strong so pushed on once the road went up, and was delighted to only get passed by 3 others going up the Wicklow gap.

To the maynooth lady who is going on a hen party to Kilkenny tonight I hope you are now sitting in the jacuzzi you were praying for on the Wicklow gap!! Nice chatting to you!

Enjoyed the last 25k and felt I had more in the tank at the finish, which I'd want to with the Mick Byrne and Wicklow 200 now very close!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Mt. leinster Challenge, 137kms, 1728m, 24.2avg, 5h 40m. Beautiful day for it, great food stop. Not used to riding in groups but had a blast in a big group of mostly Orwell Wheelers from her the start to Bagenalstown. The 2nd time up Mt Leinster hurt a bit but I plodded on, ended up on my own for most of the descent and run-in to Enniscorthy. The wind which was a pain for most of the day was a real boon on the last stretch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Sat spin flat
    met some of the JLT Condor team on the road for the RAS ...they were heading towards Maynooth...i was going opposite to Dunboyne for Summerhill and Enfield
    first real useful use ? of Strava flyby
    besterd of a head wind from Dunboyne to Enfield but then sailed home to leixlip
    https://www.strava.com/activities/305761098

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

happyhappy wrote: »
    Lap de gaps, 105k in almost bang on 4 hours and 26.2 average. 1835 gain

4:24' myself with an average of 23.8 which I was pretty happy with given the wind. My Garmin gave the ascent as 1433m, Ride with GPS says 1292m and you have 1835m. I'd like to believe your reading but ...

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

4:24' myself with an average of 23.8 which I was pretty happy with given the wind. My Garmin gave the ascent as 1433m, Ride with GPS says 1292m and you have 1835m. I'd like to believe your reading but ...

Holy sh1t! What a time for a typo! Of course it's 1335! It's not like was was gonna exaggerate an extra 500 with 1000 others doing it. Hat tip in ure direction!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

50kms this evening. Greystones to Johnnie Foxes and back via Stepaside. Had hoped to do the lap de gaps today but had to work this morning and am on call so didn't want to go too far!

Lovely evening and seriously tempted to have a drink in Foxes when i saw everyone sitting outside!

https://www.strava.com/activities/305774089

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lap de Gaps Cycle 4DSI today. Great day on the bike at an excellent event with good company. Threw in a bit extra bringing it to 250k.

https://app.strava.com/activities/305718886

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Lap de Gaps Cycle 4DSI today. Great day on the bike at an excellent event with good company. Threw in a bit extra bringing it to 250k.

A bit?! Your extra 'bit' was longer than I've ever done! 😀😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Planned my route for tomorrow earlier having forgot that the Ras will be passing along it tomorrow too. Was leaving Swords at 9.30 and plan on heading to Dunsaughlin->Kilcock ->Maynooth-> Celbridge-> Rathcoole -> Rathfarnham. Was going to be in Maynooth probably around 11.30 which is about an hour ahead of the Ras should be there. Any road closures or anything I should be worried about?

Had also planned on stopping there for a coffee would that cause any issues with the Ras passing through? Would actually like to stop and see it pass through but need to be in Rathfarnham before 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Threw in a bit extra bringing it to 250k.
    i was complaining about having had to *drive* 200km today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

i was complaining about having had to *drive* 200km today.

Jimmy 3 County Challenge in Mayo mainly with a bit of Galway and Sligo.

I've cycled some stunning routes in last few years but this was something else. Breathtaking.

Tough day on bike. 400 with 2500-3000m (not sure must check) but about 200km of headwind and about 200 with a glorious tailwind.

Met some more of the really great people who run Audax events. Got to ride with the legend that is Jim Fitzpatrick, former RAI rider. What a gent. In training for RAI he did hill repeats of Nine Stones to Mount Leinster mast, 9 times in a day!!!!

17.40h total with 16hrs pedalling was stats.

Here is food bit No breakfast. 70km coffee with cream. By 185km handful of nuts, apple, Mandarin orange, banna. 185km 2 sausage, 2black pudding, egg. Apple. By 300km apple banana, few nuts. To finish, apple, banana sports drink, snickers bar.

Insomnia now!!

Met Ole Rodrigo today, a gent on bike as he is on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Good to meet you too Ford2600 :) and nice talking to you too - although the wind had me guessing at some words !

Savage riding BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Clane to kilcock to Enfield to derrinturrin (into a nasty gusting headwind) to Allenwood and back to Clane. 60km at an average speed of 24kph. Not bad considering the blasted wind. Slowly getting back to fitness but I was averaging 30kph not too long ago:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Great to see howth's profile versus sally gap and wicklow gap in the 1 spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A short 50km killiney- balally-enniskerry- kilmac-enniskerry ( summer hill house side) - kilternan-killiney.

Hitting some PBs tearing down the hills. Lots of Sky riders around.

Finally FYI. The road coming from kilternan towards enniskerry the road to the right of the garage is closed about half way down. Best to take the road to the left and enjoy the extra climb out of the village .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First time out in a week due to exams. They are done with completely so no time to focus on cycling for a while

Did a bumpy 56km. Was slow but I ticked around. Interesting thing was that my 20m power was 389w which I havnet been at yet before. Also explains why last nights dinner was repeating on my several times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Suffered today right from the start. Kilmashogue, Cruagh, Stocking lane, Bohernabreena/Friarstown, Ballinascorney.
    The first time up kilmashogue, what a total bitch. I touched down once and I'm disgusted because I was near the top. If I'd known I'd have pushed on. Might have had a stroke tbh but I'd have gone for it.
    First time up Cruagh too. It's somewhat easier than Kilmashogue. Then on down and back up Stocking lane. At that stage I was finding my rhythm a bit. Back down and over to bohernabreena. Paced myself up to the top quite happily. Not breaking any records but that wasn't the intention anyway. Back down and decided to have a pee break and eat something. I sat on the wall at a little bridge quite content and after about 5 minutes off I went again.

HUGE mistake. Muscles cooled down and I made it about 500m before the cramps hit. I was a fairly pitiful looking sight lying on the footpath in bohernabreena , two quads completely locked. A few other cyclists passed my and asked if I was ok. I couldn't get the word Cramp out, just mumbled something like Ya, craquad.
    Eventually got myself together and went up Bohernabreena. I debated going across at Alagour but I remembered that strava says there was a section over there around 16% and tbh at that stage I was fairly shagged and didn't fancy dying someplace I didn't know so I continued on and went up Ballinascorney instead. No more cramps but energy was low enough so i turned and headed back to the car and decided I'd leave Seskin and the Embankment for next week.
    All in, 65 km, 1570m climbed. It's about half of my target for a cycle I'm doing in July. I will suffer then more than I did today.
    Not feeling too bad now though.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/306230535

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Was no fun in that today. 102km @ 26.9kmph avg. I left the house at 7am as the weather said it was going to get worse during the day. I headed into it and side ways of it for over 60km then had it on my rear for the final 42kmph, helped me set 7 PRs! :D

Next weekend is the 140km in Connemara, not sure how I will do, was sore today and lethargic. Need to sort that out for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

51km today in just over 2 hours.

Stillorgan to Bray - Greystones - Bray - Killiney - Dun Laoighaire - Stillorgan

574m
    24.2 km/hr avg
    52 trophies on Strava - the vast majority PRs.

The descent into Greystones is some rush
    58km/hr average for 1.6km and only 12s off the KOM.

Wicklow 100 in 3 weeks
    Great Western Lakes 130km in Mayo in 4 weeks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

51km today in just over 2 hours.

Stillorgan to Bray - Greystones - Bray - Killiney - Dun Laoighaire - Stillorgan

574m
    24.2 km/he avg
    52 trophies on Strava - the vast majority PRs.

The descent into Greystones is some rush
    58km/hr average for 1.6km and only 12s off the KOM.

Wicklow 100 in32 weeks
    Great Western Lakes 130km in Mayo in 2 weeks

Heading to the 100 myself with 2 lads who have never done over 80km so will be minding them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ticknock + Kilmashogue + Tinbradden + full Cruagh + Stocking Lane with Featherbeds + Glassamucky to Military Road + Seskin = 105 km / 2500m climbing :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Alek wrote: »
    Ticknock + Kilmashogue + Tinbradden + full Cruagh + Stocking Lane with Featherbeds + Glassamucky to Military Road + Seskin = 105 km / 2500m climbing :-)
    Ahh here...... That's just takin the P!ss. I'm still b0lloxed after half that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Haha, great minds think alike! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement