Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Did the Wicklow 100 route, although I took a wrong turn in barndarrig and came back up the n11 for a bit before finding where I was supposed to be again.

101km, 27.04 average and 1196 gain (no typos today merc pro!!)

That's 206k for the weekend (another first for me) after the lapdegaps yesterday so am definitely tired now but not as sore as I thought I'd be. This training lark is paying off!!

It puts da 250k and 400k efforts posted here yesterday in perspective for me. Someday, maybe il be able for impressive efforts like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Daroxtar wrote: »
    HUGE mistake. Muscles cooled down and I made it about 500m before the cramps hit. I was a fairly pitiful looking sight lying on the footpath in bohernabreena , two quads completely locked.

Try walking the cramps out next time. Works better than just lying there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Out today around Mayo with fellow boardsie @12 element
    Possibly one of the toughest spins I've ever done. The wind was just energy sapping and left me absolutely shattered beyond belief. My legs are just this mass of pain at the moment!

115km. Took in Foxford, Ballina, Crossmolina, Newport, Castlebar. About 4hrs 20 minutes at just under 27km/hr.

I can't imagine anything that the TDC can throw at us next week that'll make it harder than today. Hopefully I'll have recovered in time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

ford2600 wrote: »
    Jimmy 3 County Challenge in Mayo mainly with a bit of Galway and Sligo.

I've cycled some stunning routes in last few years but this was something else. Breathtaking.

What parts of Galway and Mayo did you take in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

G1032 wrote: »
    What parts of Galway and Mayo did you take in?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4649372

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Try walking the cramps out next time. Works better than just lying there...

I wasn't just lying there, I was grimacing and moaning too:o

Seriously though, I couldnt move at all, both quads completely locked. I just rubbed and kneaded them as much as I could for a few minutes and once the spasm passed I stretched them out and walked around for a little before getting back on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

Did about 135k yesterday with just shy of 1500m climbing – Marino -> Cruagh -> Sally -> Laragh -> Wicklow Gap -> Blessington -> Marino. A paltry 22kph but happy enough to have slogged it up those climbs in the wind.

It was like an Autumn day out there yesterday and that wind was a swirling bugger up around the Feather Beds.

First time doing the Wicklow Gap too so glad to have that under the belt before the WW200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

51km today in just over 2 hours.

Stillorgan to Bray - Greystones - Bray - Killiney - Dun Laoighaire - Stillorgan

574m
    24.2 km/hr avg
    52 trophies on Strava - the vast majority PRs.

The descent into Greystones is some rush
    58km/hr average for 1.6km and only 12s off the KOM.

Wicklow 100 in 3 weeks
    Great Western Lakes 130km in Mayo in 4 weeks
    I know the descent into Greystones Yop. Anytime Ive gone down it i end up half blind from the tears the speed creates, i have tried (and failed) to go down one side & up the other without pedaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I did 135km yesteray too, fillup. Also started in the northside.

Drumcondra -> Bohernabreena -> Sally -> Laragh -> Wicklow Gap -> Laragh -> Ballynultagh Climb -> Sally again -> home.

2100m of climbing. I was absolutely shattered. It might have been because I just couldn't sleep the night before. Reckon I only got about 3 hours' kip as I was a bit stressed, then it turned into worrying about the cycle with so little sleep.

We only averaged 19km/h, which is a bit less than we usually manage. I think we need to ride in formation a bit as it is going to be a long, tiring day if we're doing it without drafting at that pace.

Some thoughts:

- The climb from Bohernabreena to Featherbeds is a really good test. For some reason, I really like it.
    - Wind is the key on Sally Gap. It was a cross wind, so not the worst, but I climbed it once with a tail wind and it was so much easier.
    - The descent off Sally Gap into Laragh is a real thrill at the fast section. I felt like a kid, shouting "weeeeeeeee" on the way down.
    - Wicklow Gap's bark was worse than its bite. I thought the westerly wind would kill me, but it was SW, and blocked by the mountain on the left so it was okay. Actually, I felt really good on it. I had to get home and re-check the profile, as it didn't feel that tough.
    - The rollercoaster profile around Lacken is tough, but very scenic.
    - Taking the right turn around Lacken up to Ballynuntagh is tough. The descent is scary. I am not doing it again unless I am on a mountain bike.
    - Doing the extra 65km for the WW200 is a big challenge. I think I will be okay if I sleep okay the night before. But I never sleep well knowing the alarm is set for silly o'clock.
    - Great feeling at the end of a tough ride. There's no place like home!

D9Male wrote: »
    - Taking the right turn around Lacken up to Ballynuntagh is tough. The descent is scary. I am not doing it again unless I am on a mountain bike.

I'm not familiar with Ballynuntagh. Where exactly is it?

And what was so bad about the descent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

nilhg wrote: »
    You'd know if you did the Glendine, one to look forward to for the future.

https://www.strava.com/segments/7238384,

Still that's a lovely spin.

whats surface like for Glendine?

fillup wrote: »

As you come to Lacken from the south, take a right turn at the shop and that takes you up toward Ballynuntagh Gap. 3.2km at 6.3%

https://www.strava.com/segments/6802023

The surface of the descent is really bad, lots of loose stones and potholes and sheep with seemingly little fear of a tired Dubliner hurtling downhill at 50km/h plus shouting "HUP".

As you come to Lacken from the south, take a right turn at the shop and that takes you up toward Ballynuntagh Gap. 3.2km at 6.3%

https://www.strava.com/segments/6802023

The surface of the descent is really bad, lots of loose stones and potholes and sheep with seemingly little fear of a tired Dubliner hurtling downhill at 50km/h plus shouting "HUP".

Sounds like one to avoid so!

This auld codger and sheep don't mix too well. Goats on the other hand..,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I did 135km yesteray too, fillup. Also started in the northside.

Drumcondra -> Bohernabreena -> Sally -> Laragh -> Wicklow Gap -> Laragh -> Ballynultagh Climb -> Sally again -> home.

2100m of climbing. I was absolutely shattered. It might have been because I just couldn't sleep the night before. Reckon I only got about 3 hours' kip as I was a bit stressed, then it turned into worrying about the cycle with so little sleep.

We only averaged 19km/h, which is a bit less than we usually manage. I think we need to ride in formation a bit as it is going to be a long, tiring day if we're doing it without drafting at that pace.

Some thoughts:

- The climb from Bohernabreena to Featherbeds is a really good test. For some reason, I really like it.
    - Wind is the key on Sally Gap. It was a cross wind, so not the worst, but I climbed it once with a tail wind and it was so much easier.
    - The descent off Sally Gap into Laragh is a real thrill at the fast section. I felt like a kid, shouting "weeeeeeeee" on the way down.
    - Wicklow Gap's bark was worse than its bite. I thought the westerly wind would kill me, but it was SW, and blocked by the mountain on the left so it was okay. Actually, I felt really good on it. I had to get home and re-check the profile, as it didn't feel that tough.
    - The rollercoaster profile around Lacken is tough, but very scenic.
    - Doing the extra 65km for the WW200 is a big challenge. I think I will be okay if I sleep okay the night before. But I never sleep well knowing the alarm is set for silly o'clock.
    - Great feeling at the end of a tough ride. There's no place like home!
    please please please tell me that you did go wheeeeeeee on the descent!

Oh yeah.

By the way, that fancy café in Laragh does very nice coffee. The espresso and sandwich probably explained my Colombian-like climbing of the Wicklow Gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

happyhappy wrote: »
    Did the Wicklow 100 route, although I took a wrong turn in barndarrig and came back up the n11 for a bit before finding where I was supposed to be again.

101km, 27.04 average and 1196 gain (no typos today merc pro!!)

That's 206k for the weekend (another first for me) after the lapdegaps yesterday so am definitely tired now but not as sore as I thought I'd be. This training lark is paying off!!

It puts da 250k and 400k efforts posted here yesterday in perspective for me. Someday, maybe il be able for impressive efforts like that.

If you can do 100km spins with that amount of climbing back to back then a 200km now would be well doable, just slow down a little. Stay out of red as much as possible and you'll be fine, world of difference between 200km at 27km and at 25km. The main adjustment is in your head, as an aerobic challenge in should be easier perhaps than a hard 100km. Pacing yourself at start will offset fatigue after you hit new territory later on. Set out to ride 10 20km section, 5 40km sections or whatever.

When you have that done have a read of this
    http://www.audaxireland.org/the-saddlebag/stepping-up-to-300k/

The author is president of Audax Ireland and in the elite end of things on the road so knows what he is talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fillup wrote: »

It's a very narrow single lane road with grass or gravel in the centre. Squeaky bum time when you have to cross the gravel because you have overcooked a bend.

Or you have to avoid a deaf sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not really anything to do with my actual ride, but yesterday I forgot to remove my Garmin 800 after arriving at work. I didn't realise until I was walking out of work and rummaging around in my rucksack to find it and switch it on. Slight panic set in as I realised what I'd done until I got to the bike rack and there was my bike with the Garmin still in place.. Gotta love Switzerland sometimes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

manafana wrote: »
    whats surface like for Glendine?

Going up from the Laois side is fine even considering it's not much more than a forestry access road, dropping down into Offaly is best described as an obstacle course, more potholes than road in places, last September was the last time I was across that way though so YMMV, nearly time to head back up that way again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Club spin but 1st time doing sprint efforts, side by side, sprint 20 seconds flat out, next 2 then behind does the same etc. Rest for 30-1 minute and then do it again. I was fine for the first 5 efforts but then I was puffed out.
    Looking at strava for the 20 seconds sprints I maxed out at 1235w, averaged 650watts with avg speed of 46kmph maxing at 50kmph.

Looking at the lads in the Rás though they were averaging close on that level of speed for massive segments, incredible their power and fitness over long stages!

Going up from the Laois side is fine even considering it's not much more than a forestry access road, dropping down into Offaly is best described as an obstacle course, more potholes than road in places, last September was the last time I was across that way though so YMMV, nearly time to head back up that way again.

I have done the one north of it and Laois side is lovely and offaly side is horrible so I see that always the case

manafana wrote: »
    I have done the one north of it and Laois side is lovely and offaly side is horrible so I see that always the case

Wolftrap? The offaly side was resurfaced at the end of 2013 (a lot of it anyway) and is a lovely job, beautiful descent and great climb back up, so they can do it if they want to.

I think a lot depends on the local engineer, Laois CoCo resurfaced the road down from Wolfhill to the Swan and made a right dogs dinner of it, never filled a pothole, just sprayed tar and put on twice too much giant chippings, it was lethal for a good while.

When things go wrong they tend to go wrong in spades, I had my first big off last week in a club league race, wrecked my good bike, so last night itwas back to the old Trek, I pulled the mudguards off, brushed off some of the mud and took off for a brisk spin. On the way into the town I felt good so decided to have a right go at a local 20km segment, it's flat but a decent test with the wind blowing, for the first 15km I was going grand, it's triangular and the first leg was direct into the wind, worked hard there, held the effort on the side wind bit and was giving it a lash with the tailwind home when all of a sudden I started getting strange speed readings come up on the garmin and a km or so later it went into auto pause. I wasn't going to stop to investigate though I had a good idea what the problem was and sure enough when I finished the segment and stopped the spoke magnet had come loose, the little plastic holder has actually cracked and it vibrated out of position.

I took it off, put it in my pocket and headed home, again after a km or so the speed readings started to come up on the garmin, it must have switched to using GPS data and I was hoping it might have been recording that all along but when I uploaded I only had an 88% match on the segment, I'm 100% certain I'd have taken the KOM:rolleyes: but I suppose I'll just have to go out and do it again some night soon.

https://www.strava.com/activities/308390478

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

My todays cycle started last eve around 20:30. I went from Dun Laoghaire to Blackrock (took left and went up the hill towards the N11) then took right and went downhill for a bit where I took left and went up Mount Anville Rd (the road goes bit uphill). And that's where I'm having most of the fun these days, it's been 3rd time I took this nasty little hill of laughs. This time I managed to get all the way up and then grind myself to a halt (previous two attempts the puke point was at 2/3rds of the distance). So progress! Went back home through Mountmerrion and Stillorgan which was an easy recovery ride. All in all I did 16km in staggering 45min :)

At around midnight my kid started to puke, so I was up till 3am at which point I decided I might batch cook few dinners for the next few days. At 5:20am I felt there is no point going back to bed just to be a zombie at 7am so I went to Howth and back. 43.3km in 1h50m which is already 12m improvement! Once home I dropped dead for an hour until I could no longer ignore kids jumping all over me... legs are killing me, so a day off from cycling - just in time to clean the bike.

It's been probably 5 years and around 30kg more when last time I did so much cycling and I do find it difficult to reignite the passion for this sport. I blame my saddle a bit (old saddle) it's not very comfy at the moment and I don't feel the padding is doing the right job either. With no conditioning but extra weight I feel I'm faster on flat or at least can maintain much higher speeds than in the past but any little uphill and it's a killer... I really hope things will improve soon... with new saddle and bibs...

Wolftrap? The offaly side was resurfaced at the end of 2013 (a lot of it anyway) and is a lovely job, beautiful descent and great climb back up, so they can do it if they want to.

I think a lot depends on the local engineer, Laois CoCo resurfaced the road down from Wolfhill to the Swan and made a right dogs dinner of it, never filled a pothole, just sprayed tar and put on twice too much giant chippings, it was lethal for a good while.

no south of the wolftrap, cant think of name off hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

omri wrote: »
    My todays cycle started last eve around 20:30. I went from Dun Laoghaire to Blackrock (took left and went up the hill towards the N11) then took right and went downhill for a bit where I took left and went up Mount Anville Rd (the road goes bit uphill). And that's where I'm having most of the fun these days, it's been 3rd time I took this nasty little hill of laughs. This time I managed to get all the way up and then grind myself to a halt (previous two attempts the puke point was at 2/3rds of the distance). So progress! Went back home through Mountmerrion and Stillorgan which was an easy recovery ride. All in all I did 16km in staggering 45min :)

At around midnight my kid started to puke, so I was up till 3am at which point I decided I might batch cook few dinners for the next few days. At 5:20am I felt there is no point going back to bed just to be a zombie a 7am so I went to Howth and back. 43.3km in 1h50m which is already 12m improvement! Once home I dropped dead for an hour until I could no longer ignore kids jumping all over me... legs are killing me, so a day off from cycling - just in time to clean the bike.

It's been probably 5 years and around 30kg more when last time I did so much cycling and I do find it difficult to reignite the passion for this sport. I blame my saddle a bit (old saddle) it's not very comfy at the moment and I don't feel the padding is doing the right job either. With no conditioning but extra weight I feel I'm faster on flat or at least can maintain much higher speeds than in the past but any little uphill and it's a killer... I really hope things will improve soon... with new saddle and bibs...

Sounds like someone needs to treat themselves to a Brooks!

Also have you considered a simpler secondary bike for less intense simple joy of cycling type activities? Even when my head is wrecked with "proper cycling" I still enjoy pootling around on my old steel single speed mtb having adventures etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Sounds like someone needs to treat themselves to a Brooks!

Also have you considered a simpler secondary bike for less intense simple joy of cycling type activities? Even when my head is wrecked with "proper cycling" I still enjoy pootling around on my old steel single speed mtb having adventures etc.

I don't think brooks will match my bike. I had a fizik antares for 2-3 days and it was awful. When I got back to my old saddle that came with the bike my speed increased dramatically :) but it's not as good anymore so I'm hoping fizik aliante gamma will do the trick as it look similar... and maybe rapha bibs will help too :P I just need one source of pain rather than few when cycling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I don't think brooks will match my bike.

save the Brooks for your "simple joy of cycling" bike so!

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I don't think brooks will match my bike. I had a fizik antares for 2-3 days and it was awful. When I got back to my old saddle that came with the bike my speed increased dramatically :) but it's not as good anymore so I'm hoping fizik aliante gamma will do the trick as it look similar... and maybe rapha bibs will help too :P I just need one source of pain rather than few when cycling :)

Have you tried the Selle Rolls or Regal ? Very comfy and one or the other will look well on most bikes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement