Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

omri wrote: »
    I don't think brooks will match my bike

New Brooks C17 look a lot more like a modern sport saddle, albeit that it costs an arm and a leg. Haven't used it myself, but reviews are positive, and thinking of trying it on the new bike if the stock saddle (Ergon SRX-30) doesn't work for me.

Nice lunch time spin Ballyboden, Kilternan, Foxes, Cruagh and back, 24k in just over the hour, with 61kph coming off the Pine forest road. Avoided Burrow road as there had been roadworks on it last, and instead got stuck on closed road coming up to foxes on the other side anyway. So it goes. Fantastic cycling weather for anyone considering a spin this evening, may try and get back out myself after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

My todays cycle started last eve around 20:30. I went from Dun Laoghaire to Blackrock (took left and went up the hill towards the N11) then took right and went downhill for a bit where I took left and went up Mount Anville Rd (the road goes bit uphill). And that's where I'm having most of the fun these days, it's been 3rd time I took this nasty little hill of laughs. This time I managed to get all the way up and then grind myself to a halt (previous two attempts the puke point was at 2/3rds of the distance). So progress! Went back home through Mountmerrion and Stillorgan which was an easy recovery ride. All in all I did 16km in staggering 45min :)

At around midnight my kid started to puke, so I was up till 3am at which point I decided I might batch cook few dinners for the next few days. At 5:20am I felt there is no point going back to bed just to be a zombie a 7am so I went to Howth and back. 43.3km in 1h50m which is already 12m improvement! Once home I dropped dead for an hour until I could no longer ignore kids jumping all over me... legs are killing me, so a day off from cycling - just in time to clean the bike.

It's been probably 5 years and around 30kg more when last time I did so much cycling and I do find it difficult to reignite the passion for this sport. I blame my saddle a bit (old saddle) it's not very comfy at the moment and I don't feel the padding is doing the right job either. With no conditioning but extra weight I feel I'm faster on flat or at least can maintain much higher speeds than in the past but any little uphill and it's a killer... I really hope things will improve soon... with new saddle and bibs...
    I know that hill up towards mount anville & its a wee cnut of a bump. fair play for not puking considering its been a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Over to Howth for a preview of the non stop climbing soon to be unleashed on me by Mick Byrne. Up from Sutton and then up 3 times from the Howth side. Only a drop in the bucket at over 1000metres. Have to triple that over 200k next week😳. Headwind on way home was unwelcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Have you tried the Selle Rolls or Regal ? Very comfy and one or the other will look well on most bikes.

I did not but will have a look at them. Not sure why but was always drawn to fizik, though my only saddle was that dreadful antares...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Bloggsie wrote: »
    I know that hill up towards mount anville & its a wee cnut of a bump. fair play for not puking considering its been a while!

The previous two times I was lucky and got red light at the junction just before the uphill part starts. Yesterday I was hoping for another red to pull myself together mentally but it was green this time. The upside was that just when I started the "climb" it perfectly synchronised with the track I'm listening for these occasions to tell my legs to shut up, and my lungs, and my mind 0:56 :D

every little helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Nice day on Cork for the commute :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Bloggsie wrote: »

https://www.strava.com/activities/308960197 Some day I have to try that hill on a road bike. This out of the saddle heart in my ears sh*t can't be good for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Not a very long or interesting cycle in itself, but I brought my bike to Donegal via Bus Eireann today. It's something I'd been trying to get definitive information about before doing, and couldn't get anything too recent or relevant.

Anyways, loaded bike - Two small rear panniers with clothes, saddlebag with bike tools, handlebar bag carrying my SPD shoes, sunglasses, emergency foot, gels and a grey Kryptonite bike lock. I turned up at Busaras a good bit early, and found out I'd need cash (€12.50 each way, to the final destination) to book my bike along with my bus ticket (ATM outside wasn't working, flew down to O'Connell St. and back). Was the first person getting on the bus, the driver offered to open the road side of the luggage compartment. Unfortunately it was a brand new bus, and he didn't realise the road side compartment didn't have much room. I struggled for a bit and asked if I could put it in the other side.

To be honest, he was more worried about the bike getting damaged/scratched than anything else. I've a 60cm frame, full stainless steel mudguards, and a few other bits to make life awkward, so ended up lying the bike flat, drive side up, taking off the front wheel and balancing it on the rear, removing my pump and water bottles and hoping for the best. In hindsight, I should have brought some cardboard along to wrap around the top tube, and put the pannier that wasn't supporting the bike under the frame to give a bit more protection.

Bus went through the airport to pick up, which ended up being a good thing - More bags meant the bike didn't slide around. By the time I got to Donegal, everything was ok except an ugly scratch in the top tube which was completely my fault for not securing it or protecting it better. Lesson learned. Oh, and the fact it's been pissing down rain since I got in, and had to cycle 30km to the hotel.

I will say, getting up speed while fully loaded might take a while, but it's a lot of fun to have all that momentum to carry you up a hill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OldBean wrote: »
    ... emergency foot...
    Jesus, you're prepared for the worst! :D

(PS - where about in Donegal are you planning to go?)

• Advertisement

Not a very long or interesting cycle in itself, but I brought my bike to Donegal via Bus Eireann today.

Cheers for the post, something I was interested in myself having taken the bike on the train a fair bit. Got talking to a driver who took a bike on board coming out of Galway, and he said you'll nearly always get the bike on, some drivers will charge you for it others don't bother.

Jesus, you're prepared for the worst! :D

(PS - where about in Donegal are you planning to go?)

Have you seen the roads up here!?! :pac:

Today was mostly a coastal ride around Killybegs, Glencollumbkill, but it's lashing again this morning...

The other half is on her way up in a car tonight, so we'll do the whole coast over the next two days, all going to plan. It might be a case of me getting up early and meeting somewhere along the way and taking the rest in by car.
    smacl wrote: »
    Cheers for the post, something I was interested in myself having taken the bike on the train a fair bit. Got talking to a driver who took a bike on board coming out of Galway, and he said you'll nearly always get the bike on, some drivers will charge you for it others don't bother.

Yeah, when the driver saw the ticket for the bike, he couldn't believe they were charging 12.50 for it. I reckon if I'd gotten on at the airport, I wouldn't have been charged, but I was happy being first on, just make sure I got on!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A bit of a ramble around Dublin today.

Best time up Cruagh Road. 618m of climbing in 42km. Slow average speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Best time up Cruagh Road.

Strava link please - no proof no glory :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I did not but will have a look at them. Not sure why but was always drawn to fizik, though my only saddle was that dreadful antares...

Ive had the Antares for a while on the road bike, then switched over to the Rolls, but for comfort and aesthetic the Regal has been the best one to date.

The Antares is like a butchers cleaver if you're off the bike for a while, or carrying extra upper body weight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

This happens sometimes, slightly demotivating isn't it?

Alek wrote: »
    This happens sometimes, slightly demotivating isn't it?

A few segments changed. Ah well still a good day out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

140k practically on the button, avg 24.5kmph.
    The longest cycle I've done since the SKT 160 in August 2013, when I was probably as fit as I've ever been.
    From my house in Clondalkin, up Ballinascorney, out thru Manor Kilbride onto the N81 and all the way to Baltinglass.
    Got pretty much pished on from Manor Kilbride onwards, tho it wasn't cold and the wind was pretty benign.
    Found a nice café called Perch, only found it cos there was another bike outside and I considered it safe to leave mine there also. Was on my own so no one else to mind it. Wanted to sit inside as I was soaked!
    Its kinda hipster style, but looks really well, and the food was lovely. And its without the self-important, preening staff you usually get in hipster places, they were lovely. Refilled my water bottle for me too :)
    Other cyclist there was on his way to Waterford for a wedding! And no, he wasn't wearing his suit :P
    Best of luck in the Etape mate if you happen to be on here :)
    Rain stopped when I got back on the bike, which was nice, and I'd a helpful and welcome tailwind pretty much all the way back. First 10k I didn't feel superb, but I think that was the big dollop of cream I had with my muffin!
    Got moving then and made it to Blessington feeling good. Stopped for a gel then on the road again, turned back in at Manor Kilbride and went up to Sally Gap. This was on the advice of a friend who is a very good athlete with loads of coaching knowledge and tips. Hes done a good number of Etape's, always finishing, plus plenty of sportives here. A great guy actually who I always listen to. Anyways, he said to do a rolling course and put a good climb into it late on. So that's what I did. Surprised how handy I found the Gap after 110k, it was muggy and warm and totally calm, no wind and kinda eerie. Stopped there for a quick bit of food, then 26k home via the Military Road/Killakee.
    Felt fine on arrival at home, and really happy to have got that distance in, gives me confidence going into the Wicklow 200.

60km that felt about 120. Donegal towards Glencollumbkill with some detours.

I'd underestimated the hills in my research, but moreso underestimated the headwind from the Atlantic, coupled with rain for 40km. I was carrying a bit of heft in my panniers too, which didn't help.

Spent most of my climbing in the drops to keep my speed in the low double digits. If even.

Nearly came off at one stage standing on the pedal, in my lowest gear... 24 on the front and 25 on the rear. Wind just wouldn't let me move forward.

Met some interesting people on the way round. Then chickened out of the return journey because I was feeling pretty burned out.

Knackered! Beer! Bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭nilhg

...And you finished 100 metres short of beating your current longest ride (203.3 v 203.4). That would really bug me! :D

No mistakes today, a friend of mine was organising the Baileys charity cycle, from nangor Rd to Carlow and he asked me if I was interested in tagging along, the logistics of getting to and from the start point were a bit challenging so a few of us Kildare based lads decided to cycle across and meet the main bunch in Blessington and then spin home from the finish in Carlow, all in all that made it 220km on the day but when I got home there was no one home so I decided to push out the envelope a little and throw in a 30km loop to see how the legs might feel.

Lovely day out, I'm very taken by the cycling down in south Wicklow, the countryside looks very well down there this time of year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/309595201

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I'd underestimated the hills ... ....underestimated the headwind
    I find that the long drags combined with wind make cycling in Co Donegal tough at times. Those 3% gradients into a headwind that go on for miles and miles and suck the life out of you. They aren't even noticeable when driving. Much tougher than a shorter 10% climb.

I find that the long drags combined with wind make cycling in Co Donegal tough at times. Those 3% gradients into a headwind that go on for miles and miles and suck the life out of you. They aren't even noticeable when driving. Much tougher than a shorter 10% climb.

Exactly what I was thinking - I couldn't believe how fast the return journey in a car was.

I was struggling hard up a hill at one stage, and changed the screen on my Garmin for pretty much the first time since I got it to see the gradient.

4%

:eek:

On the way back, I only noticed I was going back down that hill by recognising a house I'd noticed.

Woke up early (3:30) to head for a Sally Gap loop, but just before leaving home I started having stupid obsessive thoughts about lads burning cars there in the morning... I know it happens mostly around midnight but going there in this state of mind would spoil all the fun.

Done some loops of Phoenix Park instead, only 50k but bit harder than usual. No wind and no traffic - clocked two KOMs! :eek: https://app.strava.com/activities/309794466

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Woke up early (3:30) to head for a Sally Gap loop, but just before leaving home I started having stupid obsessive thoughts about lads burning cars there in the morning... I know it happens mostly around midnight but going there in this state of mind would spoil all the fun.

Done some loops of Phoenix Park instead, only 50k but bit harder than usual. No wind and no traffic - clocked two KOMs! :eek: https://app.strava.com/activities/309794466

What distance is 1 loop of Pheonix park?

Also, how do you find cycling around Dublin at 4am in the dark? No drunken nightmares running about the place?

Its approx 10km.

At 4:45am it was already bright, but I cycled many times in the winter at this hour and it was very quiet and pleasant to cycle, barely any traffic. I'd be more worried around 1-3am in the city centre.

Its approx 10km.

At 4:45am it was already bright, but I cycled many times in the winter at this hour and it was very quiet and pleasant to cycle, barely any traffic. I'd be more worried around 1-3am in the city centre.

Will have to consider this. I live in Leopardstown and you either have to cycle on busy roads and constantly stop and start at lights, or go into the mountains.

or go into the mountains.

I wouldn't have your doubts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

... but moreso underestimated the headwind from the Atlantic

Had similar getting from Limerick to Spanish Point on Monday.

Was all good until I turned into a westerly gale at Clarecastle and then had another 40kms on the R474 into the wind, dodging heavy showers and going uphill for about 20 of the 40kms. Nothing overly steep but between mad wind, showers, panniers & steady gradient I was bunched.

After the hills the wind was still mad. At one stage I had a quick look @ Garmin and it said I was going down at 8% and with headwind I was whizzing along at 19kph.

I had a look at the wind speeds for Shannon on Monday and for Mon afternoon it reported 21-24knots (39-45kph) with gusts up to 38 knots (70kph). Crazy, crazy wind.

Spent Tues, Wed & Thurs based out of Spanish Point touring around Clare. About 420kms & 4,000m odd over the trip. Clare is a bit lumpier than I expected but had a great few days.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have your doubts :)

I'm just getting back into it after a 2 year layoff, I'm pretty sure if I attempted to head into the mountains I'd be found curled up by the roadside weeping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement