Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Perfect morning for cycling. Barely a breeze and lovely sunshine but not too hot either.
    Headed up Stocking lane, Featherbeds on up Kippure to the mast, back down the Sally gap over Scurlocksleap, Ballinascorney, down Bohernabreena and the up the embankment and back down again.

All the way to the mast from Scholarstown and only stopped to lift the bike across the barrier. I'm quite happy with that, usually take a breather at the viewing point and maybe *cough* take a photo at the lake so it's the first time to go all the way up without a break.

Decided to do the Embankment at the last minute, more to see if the legs would hold up after having a bad dose of cramps last week at a similar distance/elevation. It's a nice gentle enough climb and I'm glad I did it. Kept the legs spinning all the way down and felt fine when I was finished.

77km in 3;23 with 1277m climbing
    https://www.strava.com/activities/309957201/overview

Edit:
    Passed an older chap on the way up to the mast. He was suffering but smiling. I ploughed on and when I got to the top his 2 buddies were waiting for him. "Did you pass a fella on the way?"
    "Ya, he shouldn't be long now"
    Then we heard this woeful braying like a donkey being violated and the chap appeared around the last corner. He kept on roaring all the way and finally made it through the gates and proceeded to throw his ring up and collapsed in a heap on the ground. Not a pretty sight but I have to give credit to the man because he kept going all the way to the top even though it nearly killed him. Fair play, whoever you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

awec wrote: »
    I'm just getting back into it after a 2 year layoff, I'm pretty sure if I attempted to head into the mountains I'd be found curled up by the roadside weeping.

Great. We can huddle together for warmth til the Broom-Wagon comes.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/310134522

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Went for a small 4-5 km spin today, my first since I fractured my pelvis on February 22. Happy days :-)

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Great. We can huddle together for warmth til the Broom-Wagon comes.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/310134522

Impressive!

On the way out you went up Edmonstown / Cruagh Road, what's the climb like there? Ball busting?

Impressive!

On the way out you went up Edmonstown / Cruagh Road, what's the climb like there? Ball busting?

that's not a word I'd have used.

Cruagh can be pretty grueling if you don't pace yourself.

I hear Stocking lane is easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Did the Lap De Gaps last weekend. First time up Sally and Wicklow Gap.

I lived to tell the tale.

It was tough doing the Wicklow Gap with a bleedin' gale force headwind.

If I do it next year and the conditions are the same, every time someone comes past me and Says
    "JaySus, that's some wind, wha"
    I'm going to have an un lit smoke and lighter in my hand and reply
    "Tell me about it, been trying to light this smoke for the last 2km" :pac:

Anyways...

Headed out this morning with the 7am Crew and we did Clondalkin>Slade Hill>Manor Kilbride>Sallys Gap and back down the featherbeds and through Tallaght back to Clondalkin, where some of us met the 10am Crew.

Can't remember what was on the clock but about 60ish?

Headed off with the 10am bunch and we did Slade Hill>Manor Kilbride and over to Blessington>Down Valleymount?> and back around the lakes climbing to Lacken etc and ended up back in Blesso.The lakes are bleedin' gorgeous in this weather. Some views to be had. We had a break in Blesso and then headed home along the N81...

While heading down the N81 with about 120 or so on the clock and given the lovely weather, I thought I'd test the tired legs to see how they might fare out with the W200 So I decided to take a right and found myself in Brittas.

I took a wrong turn :o

Back onto the N81 and then down to Manor Kilbride and up Sallys Gap...again.

I had a decent break at the top and met a couple of cyclists who were sound. I offered to take some photos if they wanted and they were only too happy.

Headed off back to the featherbeds and the legs felt fine. Tough drags to be done but manageable.

When I got home I ended up doing Stocking Avenue and Old Military Road, taking the Gunny Hill turn off home, to see how the legs handled hills with 160km on the clock.

They were OK, thank BeJaysus.

I contemplated going for 200 but I'd run out of smokes.

165.5 done with a massive (for me) 2043 meters climbed.

I'm quite pleased with that.

The only bummer being that my missus just pointed out that my forearms are quite badly sunburnt. :eek:

For awhile I rolled my sleeves up and I hadn't put any sunblock on my arms.

Not the worst thing that could have happened tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cruagh can be pretty grueling if you don't pace yourself.

I hear Stocking lane is easier.
    I have the opposite view. I find Cruagh easier as the gradient is fairly constant and there aren't really any steep bits except for the sharp left onto the Pine Forest road after the bridge on the bend. Stocking Lane has several steep sections especially at the Mick Wall memorial where I think it's 15%+.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

Dublin - Bray - Roundwood - Glendalough - Wicklow Gap - Blessington - Dublin

129km, 1100m climb and 23.8km/h average.

Absolutely gorgeous day to be riding! I was really surprised about my good fit and feeling at the end of the ride. I was even thinking of doing a victory lap to Howth and back.

Hmm, maybe I'll do that next time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/310172073

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

after a 2 year layoff, I'm pretty sure if I attempted to head into the mountains I'd be found curled up by the roadside weeping.

Use low gears and pace yourself - you'll be grand! I've taken there some friends that haven't cycled for 10 years and they were fine :)

If I do it next year and the conditions are the same, every time someone comes past me and Says

Anyways...

Headed out this morning with the 7am Crew and we did Clondalkin>Slade Hill>Manor Kilbride>Sallys Gap and back down the featherbeds and through Tallaght back to Clondalkin, where some of us met the 10am Crew.

Headed off with the 10am bunch and we did Slade Hill>Manor Kilbride and over to Blessington>Down Valleymount?> and back around the lakes climbing to Lacken etc and ended up back in Blesso.The lakes are bleedin' gorgeous in this weather. Some views to be had. We had a break in Blesso and then headed home along the N81...

While heading down the N81 with about 120 or so on the clock and given the lovely weather, I thought I'd test the tired legs to see how they might fare out with the W200 So I decided to take a right and found myself in Brittas.

I had a decent break at the top and met a couple of cyclists who were sound. I offered to take some photos if they wanted and they were only too happy.

Headed off back to the featherbeds and the legs felt fine. Tough drags to be done but manageable.

When I got home I ended up doing Stocking Avenue and Old Military Road, taking the Gunny Hill turn off home, to see how the legs handled hills with 160km on the clock.

The only bummer being that my missus just pointed out that my forearms are quite badly sunburnt. :eek:

Was thsy you passing me saying something about "at last a bit of heat" as I died my way from Manor Kilbride up to the gap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Mick Wall memorial where I think it's 15%+.

Near Gunny Hill? I'd say its 10-12% max. Bits of Cruagh Rd before the bridge are comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Anyways...

Jaysus fair f#@ks to ya pal!!!
    Makes my meAsley 47k spin up howth hill like a walk in the park.

Was thsy you passing me saying something about "at last a bit of heat" as I died my way from Manor Kilbride up to the gap?

I don't think so! I don't really pass a lot of people :D

And if I do, I tend to say hello and chat for a few seconds/minutes. Unless it's on the flat and we're hammering it.

I do say hello to a lot of other cyclists coming from the opposite direction and about 1 in 3 are nice and reply. The rest are ignorant pr1cks (or just real serious)

I have yet to decide.

I'm excluding the people with earphones on.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Only had 2 hours spare and have had a total of 14 hours sleep over the past 3 nights so off I went to see if I could actually make it out the front door!

Greystones - Lugala - Sally gap - glencree - kilmac - Greystones.

55k, 25.2 average and 981 gain.

Really enjoyable couple of hours, beautiful day for cycling and for the first time this year I actually noticed some of the scenery up in the hills. It's amazing how it looks when the rain stops!!

Anyway enough of the failte Ireland marketing stuff!

Just a heads up - there's a nice little patch of gravel on the decent from Sally gap to glencree, halfway down, where a car was recently burnt out and the road has been damaged. Nothing off the wall but it's in a spot where you wouldn't expect gravel and at the fastest part of the decent. The gravel is decent lumps rather than the usual grit.

For all doing the mick Byrne next Sunday keep a look out. There's lots of nice mb's in bright yellow around the place today!

I've a long spin planned for Tuesday and then the mb160 next Sunday. Forecast looks decent too. Hopefully.

To the Orwell member who heard me singing 'Paul's Johnstons - get down' between Sally gap and glencree- I don't get out to the pub anymore, cycling is my social life and if I have to sing on the bike sure it's as good a place as any!! I think you were going to join in only you reckoned I might be half mad. Which we obviously all are on here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

happyhappy wrote: »
    To the Orwell member who heard me singing 'Paul's Johnstons - get down' between Sally gap and glencree- I don't get out to the pub anymore, cycling is my social life and if I have to sing on the bike sure it's as good a place as any!!

Everything you said sort of sounds like my life, no sleep, not much time, don't get out much, and singing old house songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

60 odd k averaging 29 km/h, but I forgot to bring to bring any money with me, which meant no coffee. And I was really looking forward to a coffee, and maybe a doughnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

"Enjoyed" the Corrabutt gap-side climb of Mt. Leinster in last week's Mt. Leinster Challenge so much that I decided to head off and tackle it again today.
    Wexford-Kiltealy-Borris-Bagenalstown-Myshall-Mt. Leinster-Kiltealy-Wexford. Gorgeous day to be on the bike. Managed the whole trip virtually non-stop: 1 nature break, 1 stop on the Mt. Leinster descent for an oncoming herd of cattle accompanied by what must have been at least three generations of the same family, and 1 more for a slow-moving flock of sheep outside Kiltealy.

143kms, 1630m, 22.7kph.

Rb

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

141km in Tour De connemara. weather wasn't great but met some great people including a boardsie. clicked in in 30.1kmph avg which I was very happy with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Last long spin before WW200. Planned to do Dublin to Wexford, but saw the wind and asked the wife to drop me and the bike in Greystones.

122km at 26km/h with moderate head wind ALL BLEEDING AFTERNOON. Happy with the speed in the conditions as I have been averaging 20km/h in Wicklow Mountains with the lads. Decided to go full gun and leave it all on the road today.

Cycling alone is tough psychologically. I am tempted to cycle home if the wind is still from south on Monday. Not sure how pleased my wife will be to hear that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Red Belly wrote: »
    "Enjoyed" the Corrabutt gap-side climb of Mt. Leinster in last week's Mt. Leinster Challenge so much that I decided to head off and tackle it again today.
    Wexford-Kiltealy-Borris-Bagenalstown-Myshall-Mt. Leinster-Kiltealy-Wexford. Gorgeous day to be on the bike. Managed the whole trip virtually non-stop: 1 nature break, 1 stop on the Mt. Leinster descent for an oncoming herd of cattle accompanied by what must have been at least three generations of the same family, and 1 more for a slow-moving flock of sheep outside Kiltealy.

143kms, 1630m, 22.7kph.

Rb

Fair play.That's a long time in the saddle for now food or water stops!! How much drink/food do you get thru/bring?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

had planned to head to Sally Gap but the mist was to bad (for me a few people still headed that way) but still managed 1000m+ of climbing. Happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Fair play.That's a long time in the saddle for now food or water stops!! How much drink/food do you get thru/bring?

Brought a 750ml Bidon with a sachet of Energy Source dumped in, and a 500ml Bidon of plain water. Ran dry for the last 30mins and could have done with more water. Also brought two Power Bars and two High 5 gels. Only used 1 Bar and 1 gel though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Crazy weather today. Wicklow Mts. Was frozen going over feather beds, roasting by the time I got to luggala

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Done my first 100k today in the Edward Nolan Cycle Challenge, was a great day for it despite the constant wind. Delighted with the performance of my 21 pound steel machine:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

A few months ago I realised the only side of Sally Gap I hadn't climbed was from Laragh and I meant to get around to working it into a route. Then a few weeks ago when thinking of some prep spins for the WW200 I had a moment of inspiration during what must have been a time of little oxygen getting to my brain, that it'd be great idea to go up and down Sally Gap from all sides in one spin. My training has gone to pants since I wussed out of the Orwell Randonee so this weekend was really the last chance to get a proper long hilly spin in before the big day so decided last night it was now or never.

Headed off this morning, but at the last minute before heading out the door I thought it looked a bit cool out and decided to wear the gabba instead of a summer jersey. It was an inspired call as it was seriously windy up there today but the gabba did it's job.

All was going well up Stocking Lane and Luggala, descended down to Laragh and turned back up only to puncture just before the climb up Glenmacnass started, I was a bit pissed off as wanted to get to about 80k before taking any pitstops. From there on my luck changed. Took me waaay too long to change the tube only to puncture it while inflating as I pinched the tube between the tyre and wheel. Much cursing followed and got a second tube on and off I went, or so I thought. As I got back on I somehow forgot to actually start pedalling and with one foot clipped in the inevitable slow graceful fall onto the tarmac followed. Again much cursing and my first reaction was to check to see if anyone saw my Delboy fall, but it went unnoticed and finally I was back on the road after about 40 mins of faffing about.

About 10k later I noticed my gears were a bit clicky in certain gears, I'm pretty sure I've bent the derailleur hanger. This lead to more cursing, some about the poxy headwind but mainly about my own stupidity.

Back to Sally and down to Manor Kilbride, as I neared Kilbride something didn't feel right at the back wheel, at first I thought the derailleur was starting to come off but soon realised it was the rear tyre again, ah jaysis. Much more wearing as now I had three tubes all punctured so I'd have to patch them. Worryingly two were in exactly the same spot but I couldn't find anything in the tyre that would cause it. At this stage I was going to abandon ship and head straight to the N81 and home but the lure of completing my grand slam was too much to let go, so I decided to risk it.

Managed to get home in one piece. I abandoned any thoughts of heading up Kippure but to be honest I'm not sure I'd have made it at that stage, my head was gone after the second puncture incident and never really found my legs after it.

All in all 130k with 2166m gained, fairly slow average but today was all about getting the grand slam. Woohoo.

Done my first 100k today in the Edward Nolan Cycle Challenge, was a great day for it despite the constant wind. Delighted with the performance of my 21 pound steel machine:D

Well done. 100km is quite a feat!

I sneaked out of the gaff this morning with the sole intention of doing a recovery spin (must google what one is sometime) which was to consist of a few laps around the local estate.

My bike wouldn't let me. I just can't help cycling it.

Ended up having breakfast in People's Park in Dun Laoghaire. I was gutted when Dave's wood fired Pizza wasn't open yet. I had my heart set on a Chorizo & ham pizza :(

There're wubbly.

Settled for scrambled eggs & sausages from Roy's Gourmet Sausages instead.

I was too early for the Donut* dude too.

End up with 45 on the clock by the time I got home with 415m of climbing, which was unexpected.

*W200 training starts tomorrow. Clean living will be the death of me... I Love pies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Well done. 100km is quite a feat!

I sneaked out of the gaff this morning with the sole intention of doing a recovery spin (must google what one is sometime) which was to consist of a few laps around the local estate.

My bike wouldn't let me. I just can't help cycling it.

Ended up having breakfast in People's Park in Dun Laoghaire. I was gutted when Dave's wood fired Pizza wasn't open yet. I had my heart set on a Chorizo & ham pizza :(

There're wubbly.

Settled for scrambled eggs & sausages from Roy's Gourmet Sausages instead.

I was too early for the Donut* dude too.

End up with 45 on the clock by the time I got home with 415m of climbing, which was unexpected.

*W200 training starts tomorrow. Clean living will be the death of me... I Love pies :(
    Hehe, pizza place will be open now....:D

Love a pie myself, cant beat a good one.
    Im actually loving training hard now as I can eat loads and my appetite has gone thru the roof.
    Im a skinny fecker so generally don't put on weight to any great degree, but went skiing with the bro in march and he had a good laugh at the gut I'd developed!
    Cycling is great for my relationship with food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

National 600 was on this weekend. Some serious guys on it; they rode through the sleeping control. It's the only way to get a serious time on PBP, go 2.5 days or so without sleep more or less.

We didn't it a bit easier, 16hrs total 400km mark with about 14hrs moving. 7 hr rest including about 5hrs sleep. 10hr last 205 with about 8hrs moving. Breakfast after about 70km in Wexford was savage!!

Lots of unhelpful wind but Cahir/ Waterford was nice.

Met Nameless Phil, who was flying, and the ever expanding motley crew who do these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

ford2600 wrote: »
    National 600 was on this weekend. Some serious guys on it; they rode through the sleeping control. It's the only way to get a serious time on PBP, go 2.5 days or so without sleep more or less.

That's just nuts! Proper hard bastards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

Earliest Sun spin, out at 6.48am, a bit dull but stayed dry, (missed getting out in the good weather y'day):(
    flat round trip to Kinnegad, head wind on way out, happy with my avg
    https://www.strava.com/activities/310988467

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement