Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

ford2600 wrote: »
    National 600 was on this weekend. Some serious guys on it; they rode through the sleeping control. It's the only way to get a serious time on PBP, go 2.5 days or so without sleep more or less.

We didn't it a bit easier, 16hrs total 400km mark with about 14hrs moving. 7 hr rest including about 5hrs sleep. 10hr last 205 with about 8hrs moving. Breakfast after about 70km in Wexford was savage!!

Lots of unhelpful wind but Cahir/ Waterford was nice.

Met Nameless Phil, who was flying, and the ever expanding motley crew who do these things

I am in awe sir, I am in awe. Well done to all involved.

Thanks for your recent advice. When I've the ww200 done, I will push on for a 300 in the calendar year if I can get the training done. 600 must be savage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

National 600 was on this weekend. Some serious guys on it; they rode through the sleeping control. It's the only way to get a serious time on PBP, go 2.5 days or so without sleep more or less.

We didn't it a bit easier, 16hrs total 400km mark with about 14hrs moving. 7 hr rest including about 5hrs sleep. 10hr last 205 with about 8hrs moving. Breakfast after about 70km in Wexford was savage!!

Lots of unhelpful wind but Cahir/ Waterford was nice.

Met Nameless Phil, who was flying, and the ever expanding motley crew who do these things

That's some serious cycling :eek:

You's Audax peeps are incredible. Tenaciousness at it's finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

National 600

614km in 25 and half hours, 24.1km average speed. Took it handy at the stops, I wasn't worried about the time or doing a fast PBP. I rode about 250km solo.

Met ford2600 and at least one other boardsie.

Food and sleep needed ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

happyhappy wrote: »
    I am in awe sir, I am in awe. Well done to all involved.

Thanks for your recent advice. When I've the ww200 done, I will push on for a 300 in the calendar year if I can get the training done. 600 must be savage!!

If you can ride a 200, you can ride a three. Check the http://www.audaxireland.org website for the calendar of rides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

Clane to Newtown to Enfield to Derrinturrin and back to Clane. 60km on a nice warm day. Pity the shagging wind kept changing direction to stay in my face for 90% of the cycle! However as I managed to average 26kph (final 20km averaging at 31kph), I wasn't too unhappy😉

Now that the weathers finally warming up, I'm getting a little warm in my standard attire, ie fleece lined jacket with under armour top underneath and full tights. So should I ditch the fleece jacket for a jersey with the tights or keep the jacket and wear shorts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Rule 21 : cold weather gear is for cold weather.

Rule 21 : cold weather gear is for cold weather.

Yeah but in Ireland, it's cold most of the time or you can experience all four seasons on one bike ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

https://www.strava.com/activities/311741535

Couldn't get out this morning so Lycra'd up after work and left my bag in the office, I continue the halting struggle to be marginally less ****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why did no-one warn me about the wind today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

National 600 was on this weekend.
    We didn't it a bit easier, 16hrs total 400km mark with about 14hrs moving. 7 hr rest including about 5hrs sleep. 10hr last 205 with about 8hrs moving.
    614km in 25 and half hours, 24.1km average speed. Took it handy at the stops, I wasn't worried about the time or doing a fast PBP.

Mad times! I'll be happy if I make 400 in 20hr moving on the Eoin McLove next weekend. I'm planning to finish in 39h30...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I have packed in with Strava, I have commuted about 8-9 times over the past 2 weeks and it has only recorded 1 journey & some of the numbers have to be arsewise(70+kph along the lower road in Lucan) time to go to mapmyride and see.
    very annoyed!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Man down at Oatlands college on the N11, look like an incident involving a car and a bus, his neck was being stabilised as i cycled past but hopefully its just precautionary.

I was cycling by at the same time as a random chap who gave me the nod of shock but then who proceeds to do the worst couple of K of cycling i've even seen.. without a helmet

- At the top of Mount Merrion he jumps onto the road (towards town) as the light is green to join the N11 in that direction, he was lucky a taxi wasnt coming, there was a bus in the way so visibility was minimal

- Back onto the bike path and basically does the same at Booterstown avenue, again with a bus in the way

- Jumps onto the road without looking to see if theres anything coming just to get past a slow cyclist, 10/15 metres more and then road is there

- Doesnt take the cycle path around the bus at the radisson, proceeds to go tearing through, a bus is already indicating to pull out... he pulls out into the nearest car lane again without looking

Caught up to him at UCD lights (the only red lights i seen him stop for)
    lI said "you'll end up being like him or worse with the way you cycle, at least put a helmet on"

Mind your own f**king business was his reply, the dry weather brings out all the amateurs :P

Bloggsie wrote: »
    I have packed in with Strava, I have commuted about 8-9 times over the past 2 weeks and it has only recorded 1 journey & some of the numbers have to be arsewise(70+kph along the lower road in Lucan) time to go to mapmyride and see.
    very annoyed!!!!!

I've used mapmyride since last July and it works fine every time. Only gripes are that you have to upgrade to their premium service for additional features (which you pay for) and the latest update has introduced annoying pop up ads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Man down at Oatlands college on the N11, look like an incident involving a car and a bus, his neck was being stabilised as i cycled past but hopefully its just precautionary.

I was cycling by at the same time as a random chap who gave me the nod of shock but then who proceeds to do the worst couple of K of cycling i've even seen.. without a helmet

- At the top of Mount Merrion he jumps onto the road (towards town) as the light is green to join the N11 in that direction, he was lucky a taxi wasnt coming, there was a bus in the way so visibility was minimal

- Back onto the bike path and basically does the same at Booterstown avenue, again with a bus in the way

- Jumps onto the road without looking to see if theres anything coming just to get past a slow cyclist, 10/15 metres more and then road is there

- Doesnt take the cycle path around the bus at the radisson, proceeds to go tearing through, a bus is already indicating to pull out... he pulls out into the nearest car lane again without looking

lI said "you'll end up being like him or worse with the way you cycle, at least put a helmet on"

Mind your own f**king business was his reply, the dry weather brings out all the amateurs :P

There are a lot of idiots on the roads be it in a car or one a bike. Best thing to do is look after yourself with out putting any one else in danger.

I was heading up sally gap on Sunday. Mist/fog was bad. Couldnt see maybe 20m ahead so I turned back. I saw lads heading that way. No lights. No helmets. etc etc. Gave them a warning.

Some people just have different levels of risk aversion.

I think you get more aware of your mortality as you get older😉. This is often passed off as common sense!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Domane wrote: »
    I think you get more aware of your mortality as you get older😉. This is often passed off as common sense!

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning while descending at about 60km/h. I realized I'm not a young man any more and had to slow down!

fcukin numpty, I pity the poor driver that eventually catches him, its inevitable that he'll end up on the deck carrying on in that manner!

Borderfox wrote: »
    Went for a small 4-5 km spin today, my first since I fractured my pelvis on February 22. Happy days :-)
    Congrats, how are you feeling after the 1st spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Greystones- Arklow - tinahely - over slieve Mann, the hill before it and shay Elliott - laragh -, Greystones via kilmac

151kms, 25.8 avg, 5.50.54 on the saddle and 1683 gain.

20 mins for lunch and a five min stop for water in tinahely and a 5 min stretch between climbs!

That's the good bit, the bad bit is I think I've either cracked a rib or torn a muscle and I'm off to the doc in the morning. Mb160 on Sunday is looking doubtful.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just a wee 18km tonight from Sandyford to Kilternan and back.

18km pales in comparison to most things posted up here. :D:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

awec wrote: »

Every spin is a victory. I spent an hour phartling around off road in the Phoenix park tonight. Hardly counts as training but it was fun on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

awec wrote: »

18km is 18km and a hell of a lot better for you than sitting on the couch. I was pretty much set to get in about 20+km but when we hadn't quite got baby to sleep by half 8 that was the end of that idea. I'd have loved 'just' 18km of a spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Ticked off a " must do" box - a 42 km loop from Laragh via Sally Gap. First time up there - felt very sluggish though as haven't been out in a couple of weeks. Aim to do as many Wicklow climbs as I can over the summer.

G1032 wrote: »
    18km is 18km and a hell of a lot better for you than sitting on the couch. I was pretty much set to get in about 20+km but when we hadn't quite got baby to sleep by half 8 that was the end of that idea. I'd have loved 'just' 18km of a spin!

I left the house with a 25km route in my head but decided I just didn't fancy the last section of it tonight.

18km cleared my head anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I haven't posted on this thread in a few weeks.

I'd a nice spin up Kilakee to Sally Gap and back home via Manor Kilbride and the N81.

The weather was spectacular leaving the house. I was sweating like a pig up Kilakee. I wear glasses and the sweat was dripping into my eyes and stinging the bejaysus out them. I must remember to vaseline the eyebrows. It's difficult to wipe away the sweat without smearing the specs. I had to stop a couple of times to clean my lens.

A lad from Penny Farthing was at the viewing point at Kilakee handing out free gels and a voucher for bike services. I gladly took the gel!

When I got to Sally Gap around 1830 the wind was chilling. Thankfully I had my arm warmers in my jersey pocket to deflect some of the wind chill on the descent.

55km, 670m @ 23km/h.

I did the same spin on Sunday last with a partial hangover at 23.3km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

64kms this evening, Greystones up to the masts on Three Rock and back. Beautiful evening for a spin and felt really good. Got a good few pb's too! Lots of cyclists out and a lot of mtb'rs around ticknock too!

https://www.strava.com/activities/312369736

happyhappy wrote: »
    Greystones- Arklow - tinahely - over slieve Mann, the hill before it and shay Elliott - laragh -, Greystones via kilmac

151kms, 25.8 avg, 5.50.54 on the saddle and 1683 gain.

20 mins for lunch and a five min stop for water in tinahely and a 5 min stretch between climbs!

That's the good bit, the bad bit is I think I've either cracked a rib or torn a muscle and I'm off to the doc in the morning. Mb160 on Sunday is looking doubtful.
    from happyhappy to SoreSore!, rib issues hurt like a biatch!
    no spin though.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    from happyhappy to SoreSore!, rib issues hurt like a biatch!
    no spin though.
    sorry, that should have been nice spin though!

What a lovely morning. Did a bit of climbing and didt it at a good pace.

https://www.strava.com/activities/312649104

Will be tired today!

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    What a lovely morning. Did a bit of climbing and didt it at a good pace.

https://www.strava.com/activities/312649104

Will be tired today!

Almost 25km/h average with those climbs, impressive stuff. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement