Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

godtabh wrote: »
    What a lovely morning. Did a bit of climbing and didt it at a good pace.

https://www.strava.com/activities/312649104

Will be tired today!

Well done!

I'm feeling guilty now! Hope I didn't interrupt your flow too much :/

I'll probably be quite tired myself later too. Might have to have a nap at lunch time :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Well done!

I'm feeling guilty now! Hope I didn't interrupt your flow too much :/

I'll probably be quite tired myself later too. Might have to have a nap at lunch time :D

Its good to put a name to a face!

Once I'm home by 7:15 I'm grand. I was home at 7:15!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I don't know how it works, but in the early morning (30-50km, hilly route) I'm never off the promised return time more than 10min. Usually 5min earlier. I don't even check this anymore :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I always aim to be back for 7 but tell the wife 7:15. A few brownie points when i get back early

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

happyhappy wrote: »

That's the good bit, the bad bit is I think I've either cracked a rib or torn a muscle and I'm off to the doc in the morning. Mb160 on Sunday is looking doubtful.

Yep confirmed torn muscle, mb160 is gone on the docs advice. Doh!

WW200 is still on, the doc understood I that I was doing it no matter what he said so he just agreed with me I think. It turns out he's doing it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

WW200 is still on, the doc understood I that I was doing it no matter what he said so he just agreed with me I think. It turns out he's doing it too.
    at least your still on for the WW200. I know a guy who did the Maynooth-Galway this year while recovering from Pnuemonia(he is a crazy SOB when it comes to being out on the bike)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I've put the MTB into the shed until June 8. Came off it over the weekend and destroyed my knee so decided I am not taking any chances until I have the W200 done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Worst day cycling EVER!

7:45 - Had a gobsh1te in Phibsboro drive too close and blow me off the road. Told him to eff off and ignored him.

8:05 - boy racer tried to push me out of my lane, too narrow for overtaking, especially against oncoming traffic but tried anyway.

17:55 - top of Gardner St. Taxi driving up my ass, waved him away but overtook me 2sec later so close almost brushed me. Tapped on his window and he overtook me then jammed on the breaks. Barely avoided hitting him. When I omived past him on the right he tried to drive into me, thankfully a driver in a smart car blew him off the road and gave out to him. Very scary. Had a passenger but didn't care.

Reported the boy racers this morning, sorry I did now as don't feel I will be taken seriously if I also report the taxi.

godtabh wrote: »
    Its good to put a name to a face!

Once I'm home by 7:15 I'm grand. I was home at 7:15!

Nice meeting you :)

I obviously deviated off my plan this morning. I hadn't planned it.

Had planned a few repeats of the hills near my gaff, Stocking Avenue etc but after I went up Stocking Ave. I just couldn't turn the bike right to take me down Gunny Hill for a few laps...

I tried.

It was weird.

It was really weird.

Decided to head up to the Hell fire club car park and turn back.

That's a b1tch of a climb!

After that...saw the road ahead not so steep and continued on. (I got that wrong)

Ended up going up to the Featherbeds(?) and successfully defeating my Nemesis No 2, which I had to pullover about 4 times last year, on the only time I did it.

I wasn't even on my good bike!

Did the whole climb in the saddle and all I have to eat on my "Dawn" spins are two cups of coffee and some nicotine.

I'm over the moon :D Delighted with myself!

Once I hit 500m of climbing I did a U-Turn. I had so much fun descending back home. Gutted my Virb Camera card was full :/

Glad I had my semi-winter gloves on though, the wind chill on the descent was quite high.

W200 training is delayed until Sunday :)

I deserve my forthcoming pie, even though it's late.

nyomnyomnyom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've been using the garmin going into and out of work fit the past week. Really notice a different in my time. Lots more motivation when you keep an eye on the pace.

Had to pull over on the way home to stick on the sun glasses as I was holding 50km/h for a good stretch.

Yay go me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Stuck in Dublin today. Decided to make use of having the bike with me and trip out to Howth hill. She's a fairly handy climb in fairness. I was expecting complete downhill after the crest not another wee climb. The views on the Descent into Sutton are fantastic. Nearly came off the bike I was that distracted.

ted1 wrote: »
    I've been using the garmin going into and out of work fit the past week. Really notice a different in my time. Lots more motivation when you keep an eye on the pace.

Had to pull over on the way home to stick on the sun glasses as I was holding 50km/h for a good stretch.

Yay go me.

I have mine set up as a "dashboard" now, like you'd get in a car.

Average speed and "historical" data has been removed from the main screen.

The likes of Average speed doesn't help you while you are cycling.

What have I become? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

W200 training is delayed until Sunday :)

According to the current forecast from yr.no, Saturday is the more favourable day.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Woke up at 5.15 this morning and decided what the hell, out around Howth / Portmarnock for 30km. There wasn't a sniff of a breeze and the views across the Bay and NCD were beautiful, thinking of making it a regular practice over the summer

I have mine set up as a "dashboard" now, like you'd get in a car.

Average speed and "historical" data has been removed from the main screen.

The likes of Average speed doesn't help you while you are cycling.

What have I become? :confused:
    Average speed is useless, it's all about the pace , all about the pace, no treble ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Was a toughie this evening. Becoming my usual Wednesday night 60k, up Gunny Hill, turning for Killakee/Old Military Road on to Sally Gap, it was horrible after view point, lashed on, wind trying its best to blow me off the road, visibility very bad. Only thing missing was freezing cold!
    Spent a lot of the time cursing to myself, and wondering why I'd bothered! Didn't see another cyclist all the way up, or back via Manor Kilbride, not until I got out onto N81.
    Average speed around 23.8 I think. Whats wrong with avg speed then?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Did about 60k at a pace of just over 26kph in good conditions. That's the furthest I've cycled in the short time I've been at it. Found it okay. Tough in places, and I was falling a bit behind some people I can normally keep up with in the group, but it was fine overall. Got me thinking about progress. I have no idea about goals and things? If I continue to take cycling fairly seriously, I wonder what kind of distance and pace I should be aiming for by the end of summer, or by this time next year? Are there any particular "milestones" for cycling progress?

jaqian wrote: »
    Worst day cycling EVER!

7:45 - Had a gobsh1te in Phibsboro drive too close and blow me off the road. Told him to eff off and ignored him.

8:05 - boy racer tried to push me out of my lane, too narrow for overtaking, especially against oncoming traffic but tried anyway.

17:55 - top of Gardner St. Taxi driving up my ass, waved him away but overtook me 2sec later so close almost brushed me. Tapped on his window and he overtook me then jammed on the breaks. Barely avoided hitting him. When I omived past him on the right he tried to drive into me, thankfully a driver in a smart car blew him off the road and gave out to him. Very scary. Had a passenger but didn't care.

Reported the boy racers this morning, sorry I did now as don't feel I will be taken seriously if I also report the taxi.
    you should report the muppet taxi driver to the carriage office(or what ever they're called these days)

Did about 60k at a pace of just over 26kph in good conditions. That's the furthest I've cycled in the short time I've been at it. Found it okay. Tough in places, and I was falling a bit behind some people I can normally keep up with in the group, but it was fine overall. Got me thinking about progress. I have no idea about goals and things? If I continue to take cycling fairly seriously, I wonder what kind of distance and pace I should be aiming for by the end of summer, or by this time next year? Are there any particular "milestones" for cycling progress?
    not to fall off when your'e banjaxed is my 1st goal!

mine this morning.

28.21kms, 1hr 13. Avg 23.2 kmph.

That fookin hill in the strawberry beds still has me getting off the bike and walking. Im sure there's people on here that would sprint up it just to let me how easy it is(for them), mind you I got further up past the anglers rest than I ever did before. I will get up and over it and not fall off or puke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Bloggsie wrote: »
    you should report the muppet taxi driver to the carriage office(or what ever they're called these days)

Taxi Regulator won't deal with complaints about driving offences. It's the Gardai or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

not to fall off when your'e banjaxed is my 1st goal!

Being too broke to afford pedals I can clip my feet into has helped me immensely in this regard.

ted1 wrote: »
    Average speed is useless, it's all about the pace , all about the pace, no treble ...

I sang that all morning while I was out doing a few hill reps.

Damn you!

I'll probably be singing it for awhile in fairness. It just works.
    terrydel wrote: »
    Was a toughie this evening. Becoming my usual Wednesday night 60k, up Gunny Hill, turning for Killakee/Old Military Road on to Sally Gap, it was horrible after view point, lashed on, wind trying its best to blow me off the road, visibility very bad. Only thing missing was freezing cold!
    Spent a lot of the time cursing to myself, and wondering why I'd bothered! Didn't see another cyclist all the way up, or back via Manor Kilbride, not until I got out onto N81.

Good spin Terry. Nothing wrong with AVg speed btw, just I've taken it off the screen as it's not much use to me while out. Might be useful to many others though. It's nice post ride data to me.
    mine this morning.

28.21kms, 1hr 13. Avg 23.2 kmph.

That fookin hill in the strawberry beds still has me getting off the bike and walking. Im sure there's people on here that would sprint up it just to let me how easy it is(for them), mind you I got further up past the anglers rest than I ever did before. I will get up and over it and not fall off or puke.

Someone once posted here.. Approach a hill like an old man... and get to the top like a young man.

It's very true.
    I only really understood it a few months ago after 18 months of cycling and it has help my hill climbing immensely.
    At times I've gone so slow up steep bits that I worry about falling over. Just keeping the "engine" from blowing up and letting the legs hurt.

After a few hill reps this morning with 472m of climbing I'm at 8,896 meters climbing for the month. That's a quarter of all my climbing last year over 7,500 km cycled.

I seem to want to be a "Goat" :eek:

Doing a tough climb and having a victory smoke at the top is something I need to work on though.

I nearly spat my heart out getting 4th on a mini hill segment this morning. I'm going to have to break Ryan Sherlock's legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...At times I've gone so slow up steep bits that I worry about falling over...
    It's surprising how slow you can go without falling over. I've been down to 4km/h on 25%+ gradients and managed to kepp moving forward and avoid the walk of shame.

In saying that, I recall making an attempt at Horan's Lane in Tallaght on a wet morning a couple of years ago. When I got out of the saddle, the back wheel wouldn't grip, when I sat back the front was lifting and weaving. I decided to abort but it was so steep I couldn't get my foot unclipped before the bike rolled back. Fell over on a nice soft bank. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this evening's earworm was 'the red car and the blue car had a race', the song from the old milky way ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Ryath

When I got out of the saddle, the back wheel wouldn't grip, when I sat back the front was lifting and weaving.

Sit forward on the nose of the saddle and keep your weight low over the bars. Makes a huge difference keeping weight on the front wheel. Took a few falls first couple of times mountain biking trying to get the hang of sharp switchbacks then climbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Just nipped out for a quick spin this evening before the rugby started. Had hoped to get up Cruagh and Stocking Lane to Viewpoint, but between getting on the road a bit late and stopping for a phonecall on Cruagh by the time I reached the VP I realised I'd have to cut home. Given the legs were fresh I thought I'd take another stab at the Mount Venus KOM. I've been steadily moving up the leaderboard and it's a segment I always enjoy, thought I'd lost too much time on the last bend but when I uploaded the garmin there was a big shiny KOM trophy.

The missus didn't really understand my dancing or glee at making a load of people on the internet my bitches!

First ever KOM, ok it's a descent but I'm never going to get one going uphill!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I decided to abort but it was so steep I couldn't get my foot unclipped before the bike rolled back. Fell over on a nice soft bank. :o

That's a skill in itself!

3kph Was my record slowest uphill, fully loaded with gear that I couldn't fall over with. 10 minutes in and I was fit for the walk of shame. I won't lie, it felt pretty f'ing good in comparison.

terrydel wrote: »

The pace is great when your stopping and starting at lights and tells you what your starts are like. it'll tell you your instantaneous speed and you get direct feedback of what happens your speed if you shift down or up, I find that my average speed increases if I watch the pace. Any bit if a hill and you see your speed drop off , so it gives you the kick up the arse to pedal harder , etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Did a bog-standard 20km loop, but tried really hard to push myself: really spinning those pedals, out of the saddle on inclines, down in the drops on descents and pushing hard. Was convinced I had smashed my pb for the ride. I had. By 2 seconds😳. What was especially interesting was that on a 3.5 km 3.2% climb where I usually just drop into a comfortable gear and spin up in a fairly relaxed way I stayed in the bigger gear and mashed up parts of it; I was sure I'd shaved a minute off my pb. Nope. I was 5 seconds quicker. Which begs the question: is it better (quicker/more efficient) in your experience to spin up hills or push a bigger gear out of the saddle? (I know this isn't exactly Mont Ventoux but is the principle the same?)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement