Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It's surprising how slow you can go without falling over. I've been down to 4km/h on 25%+ gradients

2-4kph going up approx. 15% path in Killiney park today, on a cargo bike and with my son in a trailer. (GPS is not precise enough to show such slow speeds, but I know I was almost standing there ;) )

On the other hand I can often trackstand for full red lights on this bike, while I quite suck at this on my normal one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek wrote: »
    2-4kph going up approx. 15% path in Killiney park today, on a cargo bike and with my son in a trailer...
    But Alek, you are an exception. Didn't you do Kilmashogue Lane with a child on the back?

Only to the car park and then to Ticknock, doesn't count ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

First world problems this morning. Di2 battery died half way into a 50km cycle. Had to spin very fast for little return in speed! Still all done for today

Call it a cadence training :)

I had my resistance training today, hauling an empty child's trailer to work, against the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ryath wrote: »
    Sit forward on the nose of the saddle and keep your weight low over the bars. Makes a huge difference keeping weight on the front wheel.

An experience I will never forget climbing Rostrevor with the front of the saddle rammed up my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

MugMugs wrote: »
    An experience I will never forget climbing Rostrevor with the front of the saddle rammed up my ass.
    are you sure you are in the correct thread, experiencing objects "rammed up your tradesmans"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The first 2k is 250M IIRC.

Saddle up your ass on a full suss is the only way.

https://www.strava.com/activities/245861124

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Today I was amazed.

Headed out to meet the 7am crew and did a beautiful/scenic spin around the reservoirs near Tallaght. Managed 42km with 607m climbing and decided not to do the 10am spin as I had promised the missus I'd go out with her for her first spin this morning.

There was no getting her out of bed at 9 :(

Decided to head out again to see if I had just imagined it was a beautiful/scenic spin.

It was a great route.

I stopped and smelled the roses, so to speak. Took a few pics, as usual. My now second favourite hobby (It was my first)
    Another 26km done and managed to pass the 10,000m climbing mark for May.

For my third spin of the day I eventually headed out with her good self.

Her end goal is to get up to the DSPCA place at some stage in the future.

So I took her there :)

She smokes almost as much as me and that's a lot.

Cruel of me, I know...

It was amazing.

She has a triple, granted, but she made it up all the hills without stopping or falling over :eek:

I'm amazed.

She channeled the loss of our missing cat :(

She has a lot of anger about that.
    I'm miss the poor thing too tbh. It kept me company when I got up for my "Dawn Spins" :(

She ended up with 16.8km with 247m of climbing which included Stocking Avenue, Stocking Lane, Old Military Road and back up that ramp from the DSPCA on the Mount Venus Road..

Weather permitting, we'll be heading out to the reservoirs tomorrow.

So far she had taken ownership of my Pearl iZumi Elite Barrier Windstopper, which was bate onto me but fits her nicely as a jacket... and my Canyon Multi functional head wear, as a neck warmer...

I'm not sure I really thought this through...

:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

62kms this morning. Had planned at least a hundred so headed from Greystones down towards Arklow. Started out at 6-30am and it was cold, hands numb in almost June!

Made it almost to Brittas Bay and called it a day. Felt absolutely terrible so headed home. Glad i did because I seem to have gotten ****ing food poisoning or something.

Had to go out to Dundrum Shopping Centre with my wife and daughter-it was awful. Couldn't wait to get home to bed, had no energy at all.

Really hope it's only a 24hr thing with the Wicklow 200 next week!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had an enjoyable 50k spin up around malahide and down over howth hill and home. not really increasing my average speed much, but arriving home feeling less banjaxed these days.

one thing i've noticed is my legs feel really hot in bed the night after a spin; is this common?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

Griffith Ave - Cruagh - Sally - Laragh- Wicklow Gap - Laragh - Sally - Kippure - Cruagh - Griffith Ave

A little over 130k with 2000m of climbing with a paltry 21kph. Absolute sh1te average time, partially due me thinks to peddling solo today. I find the mind wanders and the pace slackens when gong it alone.

Meet a few lads from Naas CC (Karl and co), had a chat at Sally and they put the idea of Kippure in my head - thanks lads (I think).
    First time doing Kippure. Enjoyed the slog up in a perverse kinda way but not the descent. Too much loose gravel around for my liking. But I wanted to see what was left in the legs at that stage.

Last big spin before WW200. All I have to do is find the legs for another 70k and the wings for another 700m of ascending. Nay problem.

Long day in saddle but happy with the climbing and having got it out of the way so I can enjoy sitting on me hole for the rest of the weekend (apart from all the family stuff that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

Don't take your cycles for granted, good or bad, I'm off the bike since Thursday due to minor foot surgery so not allowed on the saddle for another week:(
    Still enjoying all your posts!
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Last Saturday i had a lot of pain after club spin in right knee, never had this pain before.
    Sat out sunday and put ice pack on for few hours,had time on monday for a spin so i set off to test the knee for a 20k ish spin,knee felt fine so i continued on,50k in and all was good ,i was delighted so i kept going into the wind,ended up with 96k spin and 670m climbing and not a bother on the knee,happy days Monasterevin-Portloaise-Stradbally-The Windy Gap-Ballylinan-Athy-Kilcullen-Athgarvan-Newbridge-Kildare-Monasterevin.
    Roll on yesterday out with the club,Monasterevin-Kildare-Ellistown-Rathangan-Clonbullogue-The Rock-Edenderry-Derrinturn-Alenwod-Kilmeage-Allen-Hill of Allen-Milltown-Kildare-Nurney-Kildangan-Monasterevin ,felt great until we hit Derrinturn and the pain in the knee started again,i started to spin even more than usual to ease the pressure but it persisted,not as bad as previous week but niggling there all the same.
    Ended up with just shy of 100k put into the legs,decided to sit out today again, icepack on knee last 90 mins or so.
    Lads have been asking if ive changed anything on the bike to set this knee off but i havent changed any settings at all,i really hope it doesnt persist,ive some sportives coming up i want to do over the summer.
    I have a theory of what may be causing the pain, i put the vast majority of power through my right leg [loooong story,almost lost left leg years ago, metal in left leg,amputated big toe,pain if i put too much effort into left leg,i mentioned it here before :)]
    Im wondering if this extra strain on the right leg is taking its tole now, ive been trying to use the left more but not very successfully,very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Tallaght, Kilmashogue, Cruagh, Bohernabreena -Friarstown, Alagour -Cunard, back to Tallaght. Went out yesterday and bought a Co2 pump for my holidays, used it today going up Cruagh. No one told me how cold they get, Damn you Charles Boyle and your pressure induced temperature changes. I was cold enough without having numb fingers too.
    Should have worn the long bib today, legs were cold on every descent.
    Made it up kilmashogue without stopping... Yaaa :)
    Alagour -Cunard is a tough bitch of a climb but it's stunning up there.
    Garmin died a few k from the end, missed out on my epic sprint back to the car.
    70km, 1690 m climbing.
    Wrecked https://www.strava.com/activities/315426985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

fillup wrote: »
    Griffith Ave - Cruagh - Sally - Laragh- Wicklow Gap - Laragh - Sally - Kippure - Cruagh - Griffith Ave

A little over 130k with 2000m of climbing with a paltry 21kph. Absolute sh1te average time, partially due me thinks to peddling solo today. I find the mind wanders and the pace slackens when gong it alone.

Meet a few lads from Naas CC (Karl and co), had a chat at Sally and they put the idea of Kippure in my head - thanks lads (I think).
    First time doing Kippure. Enjoyed the slog up in a perverse kinda way but not the descent. Too much loose gravel around for my liking. But I wanted to see what was left in the legs at that stage.

Last big spin before WW200. All I have to do is find the legs for another 70k and the wings for another 700m of ascending. Nay problem.

Long day in saddle but happy with the climbing and having got it out of the way so I can enjoy sitting on me hole for the rest of the weekend (apart from all the family stuff that is)

Lovely spin, well done. Don't worry about average speed, congratulate yourself on doing Kippure voluntarily after already doing a very respectable spin with plenty of climbing. Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I think I am going to have to review my "training plan". Only getting out every second weekend and then taking on 150k+ rides is a very painful way of getting fit. Tagged along with a great gang (including HappyHappy of this parish) at the start of the Mick Byrne 160 who I thought were about my level. As the day progressed and the climbs got tougher, the ugly truth emerged. Got dropped for the first time at Macreddin but caught up with them at lunch. The first sight of Glenmacnass waterfall and we parted company again. Ended up solo from there to Dalky in a savage cross wind. At the steep descent by Lough Bray I was nearly blown back up! Met up with the gang again at the finish and they swore they were only in 5mins ahead of me. Those are the kind of lies that I really appreciate.
    Great event despite all this and really well organised by Sorrento CC.
    The stats: 161k, 7:02', 22.8av, 2551m(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Managed just 60k today in Tour of Louth the wind was a killer.
    Managed 25km/hr average should have done the longer one but had to get back for the dubs matches in croker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

This will be my last post on this thread for a few weeks.

Recently I've been getting a pain in my right leg that starts at the hip and eventually renders the leg useless and painful. It hasn't happened every spin but it has been getting more regular. It first happened the day I met Wishbone Ash on Turlogh Hill but I won't hold him accountable :D

Yesterday I went up Kilakee and over the Featherbeds to Sally Gap. I gt up Kilakee without any bother. I'd climbed it twice earlier in the week and returned via Sally Gap and the N81 with no problem. Yesterday the pain was unbearable as I climbed up by Lough Bray. I'd planned on 150km as prep for the WW200 but at Sally Gap I just had to turn right for Manor Kilbride. By the time I got to the Tallaght Bypass I was suffering in a big way. I'd say 90% of my journey home was freewheeling.

I realised that the WW200 was not going to happen for me this year.

So, in order to improve my mental state I decided to go for a few pints with Mrs. crosstownk. The boozer is a 1km walk. I had to stop 4 times on the way as my leg was fcuked. Never before had I had this difficulty. I needed a taxi to get home.

With the pain no better this morning I went to the VHI clinic. I'd an Xray taken of my hip (where the pain starts). Nothing unusual there. The Doc thinks saddle/bike fit is the issue and suggested a bike fit and some time off the bike - up to 4 weeks :eek: but I'll have to comply.

I've emailed Aidan Hammond to arrange a bike fit for next Monday (8th) as I'd that day booked off work to recover from the WW200.

I like to look at the positives but the only ones today are that my WW200 entry went to a fellow boardsie and that yesterday I got spotted on my first day out in a boards.ie jersey :D

So that's the story of my cycling weekend. :(

Serious 4 week bike clean coming up!

PS: Don't post any medical advice as that will only go one way...............

PS: Don't post any medical advice as that will only go one way

Yes. A new bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Alek wrote: »
    Yes. A new bike.

I'm already hoping the bike fit will reveal that my bike is too big/small and then I can spend the next few weeks researching my next purchase :D

There might be a silver lining to this particular cloud!!

crosstownk wrote: »
    This will be my last post on this thread for a few weeks.

Recently I've been getting a pain in my right leg that starts at the hip and eventually renders the leg useless and painful. It hasn't happened every spin but it has been getting more regular. It first happened the day I met Wishbone Ash on Turlogh Hill but I won't hold him accountable :D

Yesterday I went up Kilakee and over the Featherbeds to Sally Gap. I gt up Kilakee without any bother. I'd climbed it twice earlier in the week and returned via Sally Gap and the N81 with no problem. Yesterday the pain was unbearable as I climbed up by Lough Bray. I'd planned on 150km as prep for the WW200 but at Sally Gap I just had to turn right for Manor Kilbride. By the time I got to the Tallaght Bypass I was suffering in a big way. I'd say 90% of my journey home was freewheeling.

I realised that the WW200 was not going to happen for me this year.

So, in order to improve my mental state I decided to go for a few pints with Mrs. crosstownk. The boozer is a 1km walk. I had to stop 4 times on the way as my leg was fcuked. Never before had I had this difficulty. I needed a taxi to get home.

With the pain no better this morning I went to the VHI clinic. I'd an Xray taken of my hip (where the pain starts). Nothing unusual there. The Doc thinks saddle/bike fit is the issue and suggested a bike fit and some time off the bike - up to 4 weeks :eek: but I'll have to comply.

I've emailed Aidan Hammond to arrange a bike fit for next Monday (8th) as I'd that day booked off work to recover from the WW200.

I like to look at the positives but the only ones today are that my WW200 entry went to a fellow boardsie and that yesterday I got spotted on my first day out in a boards.ie jersey :D

So that's the story of my cycling weekend. :(

Serious 4 week bike clean coming up!

PS: Don't post any medical advice as that will only go one way...............

Jesus, sorry to hear that man! Hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

I think I am going to have to review my "training plan". Only getting out every second weekend and then taking on 150k+ rides is a very painful way of getting fit. Tagged along with a great gang (including HappyHappy of this parish) at the start of the Mick Byrne 160 who I thought were about my level. As the day progressed and the climbs got tougher, the ugly truth emerged. Got dropped for the first time at Macreddin but caught up with them at lunch. The first sight of Glenmacnass waterfall and we parted company again. Ended up solo from there to Dalky in a savage cross wind. At the steep descent by Lough Bray I was nearly blown back up! Met up with the gang again at the finish and they swore they were only in 5mins ahead of me. Those are the kind of lies that I really appreciate.
    Great event despite all this and really well organised by Sorrento CC.
    The stats: 161k, 7:02', 22.8av, 2551m(?)

Had the honour of being in mercian pro's group today for the mb160 And ok I lied - it was 6 minutes after me not 5 when you came in!

Today was what cycling is all about for me, camaraderie and teamwork between complete strangers for 7 hours!

It was an excellently run event, loads of food and the nicest dried fruit, nuts, jelly baby and dolly mixture concoction I've ever seen. It's fueled me for hours! And I was offered tea or coffee at the finish as I walked in the door and then a lady came around to make sure I had a flapjack, of which I had two!

I travelled on roads that I didn't know existed even though I have cycled in the area many many times and they provided plenty of climbing all day and were evenly spread over the course.

The toughest part was the crosswind approaching sally gap and the brief shower of hailstones.

We also came close to a very serious incident at woodenbridge. A group of approx 20ish were turning right when a hire car decided to over take us and drive directly at us!! She thankfully cut out in her panic on the wrong side of the road and left us scattered all over the place after taking evasive action!!

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole day.
    161, 6.44.20 rolling and 24.1 average. My phone battery died so don't have a climbing figure but I agree with Mercian pro's reading of 2552!

Il try the 200 next year. Hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

I got out this morning for just over 80km in a wind swept Mayo. A couple of real nasty showers too (from which I took shelter). Yes yes, I should 'htfu', but I didn't want yet another head cold or worse!
    Did the 80+ without any intake of food. I had two bottles and one filled with that High 5 2:1 stuff. Probably counts as food (haven't checked but I'm sure it's a mega calorie source).

So - 81.5km, 28.2km/hr, 621m.

http://app.strava.com/activities/315343910

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Managed to do 301k today by combining the Chuchulainn CC Tour of Louth into a longer ride . I averaged 27.6 which was surprising given the windy conditions. Very mixed weather conditions sun, rain, hail, wind and more wind.

(First time up Jenkinstown Hill/Long Woman's Grave. I was expecting it to be a lot tougher from reading reports here but found it handy enough. My front derailleur decided to go on strike so I had to do it in the big ring!)

https://app.strava.com/activities/315777148

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

happyhappy wrote: »
    Today was what cycling is all about for me, camaraderie and teamwork between complete strangers for 7 hours!

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

before the rain
    got up early(for me)
    headed out Leixlip Ballyfermot Templeogue Rathfarnham Enniskerry Glencree
    Oldbawn N81 to Brittas back via Saggart Newcastle Celbridge Maynooth
    Garmin malfunctioned or didn't let the route load properly??
    https://www.strava.com/activities/316117440 prt2
    https://www.strava.com/activities/316117368 prt1
    about 106Km 1200m 27 avg 4hrs

rain came early!! from Brittas, still glad to get out
    used the new Boards.ie Bib shorts, good enough
    W200 next week and the weather.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

devonp wrote: »
    before the rain
    got up early(for me)
    headed out Leixlip Ballyfermot Templeogue Rathfarnham Enniskerry Glencree
    Oldbawn N81 to Brittas back via Saggart Newcastle Celbridge Maynooth
    Garmin malfunctioned or didn't let the route load properly??
    https://www.strava.com/activities/316117440 prt2
    https://www.strava.com/activities/316117368 prt1
    about 106Km 1200m 27 avg 4hrs

rain came early!! from Brittas, still glad to get out
    used the new Boards.ie Bib shorts, good enough
    W200 next week and the weather.....?

Early weather predictions for W200 are good. East coast is ok, the west coast might not be so lucky :D

77kms today. First time up the whole of Stocking Lane, I usually go via Gunny Hill. Also first time up Kilmashoge Lane. Sweet ****ing jehovah that's insanely steep in parts, had to stop twice between that white house with the green roof and the top! Don't think I would ever get to the stage where I wouldn't have to stop on that one!

From there home to Greystones was horrific with the headwind and rain. Still, nice to have done Kilmashoge as I've been putting it off for a long time!

https://www.strava.com/activities/316152645

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

77kms today. First time up the whole of Stocking Lane, I usually go via Gunny Hill. Also first time up Kilmashoge Lane. Sweet ****ing jehovah that's insanely steep in parts, had to stop twice between that white house with the green roof and the top! Don't think I would ever get to the stage where I wouldn't have to stop on that one!

From there home to Greystones was horrific with the headwind and rain. Still, nice to have done Kilmashoge as I've been putting it off for a long time!

https://www.strava.com/activities/316152645

Is stocking lane the road that passes Montpellier farm?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement