Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

terrydel wrote: »
    Is stocking lane the road that passes Montpellier farm?

Yeah think I saw that alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Yeah think I saw that alright.

And you arrive at the viewing point where you can turn for Johnnie Foxes or carry on for Sally Gap?
    Cheers.

And you arrive at the viewing point where you can turn for Johnnie Foxes or carry on for Sally Gap?
    Cheers.

Yep that's the one.

Yep that's the one.

Jaysus, ive been doing it years now and never called it that!
    I always go up Gunny Hill tho and turn right, as Im coming from Clondalkin area. I presume the section up to where it meets Gunny Hill is also a toughie?
    Sorry for all the qs!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

yesterday's MB 200. 204 kms with an average of about 19kph. Finished in about 10.5 hours moving time. Super event, brilliantly friendly, both participants and organisers. Gorgeous roads and scenery. Weather was ok but the wind was chilly when exposed to it on high ground and on descents. Glad I made a last minute decision to go with my Assos Winter jacket instead of Gabba. Definitely needed it. Experienced all 4 seasons on the Sally Gap.

My longest ever ride and important part of Marmotte prep. Kept my Hr in zones 1-3 for all but 7mins in zone 4. Stiff neck and shoulders and some lower back pain at end but still had energy left in the tank. I think my nervous descending is most to blame, need to relax a bit.

I just loved the old school brevet card method of tracking progress. In this age of GPS and Strava and the "if there's no GPX file of a work-out it never happened"-kind of madness that I can fall into, it somehow felt more real and authentic to have my progress tracked by human beings!

RB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Lovely spin yesterday (weather aside, wind, hail, rain & sunshine), along the Donegal coast. From Donegal town out through Killybegs on through Carrick as far as Glencolomkille. Back home though Mallen Beg (I think) & Teelin.

Had the most fantastic (and well deserved) diner in Castle Murray. If anybody finds themselves out that way I couldn't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

Had a great spin at the MB 200 yesterday, what a really well run event!! and met some really nice people from Orwell Wheelers and Mt Leinster Wheelers. Great to have a chat on such a long spin breaks up the day!! Felt really good at the end and really happy to finish my first 200km 9h33m.

I always go up Gunny Hill tho and turn right, as Im coming from Clondalkin area. I presume the section up to where it meets Gunny Hill is also a toughie?
    Sorry for all the qs!

Sure I'm from Tallaght originally and i only found out the name of Gunny Hill a couple of weeks ago despite spending my youth going up and down there! The part up to that junction is not as bad or long as I thought.

Sure I'm from Tallaght originally and i only found out the name of Gunny Hill a couple of weeks ago despite spending my youth going up and down there! The part up to that junction is not as bad or long as I thought.

Haha Im from Tallaght myself. Im bloody useless at place names, half the time when people are throwing them out on here I haven't a breeze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Red Belly wrote: »
    yesterday's MB 200. 204 kms with an average of about 19kph. Finished in about 10.5 hours moving time. Super event, brilliantly friendly, both participants and organisers. Gorgeous roads and scenery. Weather was ok but the wind was chilly when exposed to it on high ground and on descents. Glad I made a last minute decision to go with my Assos Winter jacket instead of Gabba. Definitely needed it. Experienced all 4 seasons on the Sally Gap.

My longest ever ride and important part of Marmotte prep. Kept my Hr in zones 1-3 for all but 7mins in zone 4. Stiff neck and shoulders and some lower back pain at end but still had energy left in the tank. I think my nervous descending is most to blame, need to relax a bit.

I just loved the old school brevet card method of tracking progress. In this age of GPS and Strava and the "if there's no GPX file of a work-out it never happened"-kind of madness that I can fall into, it somehow felt more real and authentic to have my progress tracked by human beings!

RB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Red Belly wrote: »

RB
    In fairness the descending yesterday was tricky at times. I am not a great descender and had to really focus on what I was doing. Dabbing breaks and trying to read the line had me on edge (I am not a local to Wicklow). Two deer stood in the middle of the road as I went down Slieve maan just increased the intensity. Kudos on your spin. Took me a min after each descent to loosen out arms and shoulders as they were rigid

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Out with the wind. In before the rain.

https://www.strava.com/activities/316044625

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Sorry for all the qs!

If you're coming from Tallaght and you are taking the right just after the Lidl at the speed ramp, that being the start of Gunny Hill, try going straight ahead sometime.

After about 5 or six roundabouts you will be going up Stocking Avenue. Those little houses on your left near the top were 500k a piece to the tax payer and caused a bit of a fuss a few years ago :)

When you get to the roundabout at the top, on your left is Stocking Lane.
    To your right is the rest of Stocking lane which becomes Old Military road, just before the right turn down Gunny hill.

As far as I can tell Stocking Lane ends just at the left turn into the Cul De sac that is Woodtown way (Worth a spin into to see what a 3 million gaff looks like)

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/farnham-hill-stocking-lane-rathfarnham-dublin-16/3104043

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

As far as I can tell Stocking Lane ends just at the left turn into the Cul De sac that is Woodtown way (Worth a spin into to see what a 3 million gaff looks like)

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/farnham-hill-stocking-lane-rathfarnham-dublin-16/3104043

No Pool?
    Kip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

90kmh. Wtf. I really don't remember going that fast.

Just 40kms from castlebar to leenane today, but through the worst weather I've cycled in. Had never been blown off the bike before today and had a very strong fear of trees falling as the wind was that strong - decided to pull in and stop for the night.

Started at Malin on Saturday and hope to get to Lahinch or beyond tomorrow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Truly beginning to hate this weather, seems to be no let up on it! Sorry rant over!
    Just under 80km in just atrocious weather. I wanted to go the race route for Wednesday night and for some reason 80% of it was either into or alongside the wind! :D 27.6kmph avg and a new pair of jox with the side swipes of the wind!
    Really hope it pees off now and gives us a break. 50km race on Wednesday night and I'm 3rd in my category, then the Wicklow spin next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As far as I can tell Stocking Lane ends just at the left turn into the Cul De sac that is Woodtown way

I may be wrong but as far as I know, Stocking Lane ends at the Mount Venus Road junction. Either way it's all the R115 and is plenty steep!

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone going up Stocking Lane in today's weather gets serious kudos from me. Weather must be mental up on military road.

If you're coming from Tallaght and you are taking the right just after the Lidl at the speed ramp, that being the start of Gunny Hill, try going straight ahead sometime.

After about 5 or six roundabouts you will be going up Stocking Avenue. Those little houses on your left near the top were 500k a piece to the tax payer and caused a bit of a fuss a few years ago :)

When you get to the roundabout at the top, on your left is Stocking Lane.
    To your right is the rest of Stocking lane which becomes Old Military road, just before the right turn down Gunny hill.

Cheers for the tips, will give that a go.
    Well I'll never be living in one of those gaffs, so might be worth a quick glance to see how the other half lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Also first time up Kilmashoge Lane. Sweet ****ing jehovah that's insanely steep in parts, had to stop twice between that white house with the green roof and the top! Don't think I would ever get to the stage where I wouldn't have to stop on that one!...
    I used to have to stop at that house also! Great sense of satisfaction the first time you do it without putting a foot on the ground. Stick with it and it will come together.

I used to have to stop at that house also! Great sense of satisfaction the first time you do it without putting a foot on the ground. Stick with it and it will come together.

Hopefully! I think some of it was the fact that I didn't know how far was left, I find that hard on climbs I've never been on before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'd like to apologise for all that wind over the weekend but we needed it for the Eoin McLove 600 all weekend. 618km in Blazing sunshine, torrential rain and apocalyptic hailstorms completed my Paris Brest Paris qualification rides. 29 hours rolling in 37h40 end to end. A lovely 2 hour snooze by a roadside followed by a breakfast of weetabix at 06:00 with 70km to a proper breakfast at Cootehill.

But the wind stayed at our backs for pretty much the whole spin... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I got out for an hour this evening when the rain stopped and the wind died down a bit.
    Just a quick 30 km in 1:05. Got a couple of windy PRs, no guilt; the previous PRs were done in windier conditions so I'm claiming improvement ;)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/316384530
    Hopefully! I think some of it was the fact that I didn't know how far was left, I find that hard on climbs I've never been on before.
    Went up there 2 weeks ago for the first time and had to stop at the second last house. Like you I didn't know how much was left, I was a bit disgusted when I realised I was nearly there. Did it yesterday without stopping, happy out. If you "enjoyed" Kilmashogue the segment from Cunard to the Featherbeds https://www.strava.com/segments/1329636 is almost as tough, nearly as steep and a bit longer. You should give it a go. It's stunningly beautiful up there, possibly the nicest part of Dublin.
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'd like to apologise for all that wind over the weekend but we needed it for the Eoin McLove 600 all weekend. 618km in Blazing sunshine, torrential rain and apocalyptic hailstorms completed my Paris Brest Paris qualification rides. 29 hours rolling in 37h40 end to end. A lovely 2 hour snooze by a roadside followed by a breakfast of weetabix at 06:00 with 70km to a proper breakfast at Cootehill.

:eek::eek: Chapeau sir. That's some spin

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I got out for an hour this evening when the rain stopped and the wind died down a bit.
    Just a quick 30 km in 1:05. Got a couple of windy PRs, no guilt; the previous PRs were done in windier conditions so I'm claiming improvement ;)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/316384530

Went up there 2 weeks ago for the first time and had to stop at the second last house. Like you I didn't know how much was left, I was a bit disgusted when I realised I was nearly there. Did it yesterday without stopping, happy out. If you "enjoyed" Kilmashogue the segment from Cunard to the Featherbeds https://www.strava.com/segments/1329636 is almost as tough, nearly as steep and a bit longer. You should give it a go. It's stunningly beautiful up there, possibly the nicest part of Dublin.

:eek::eek: Chapeau sir. That's some spin

I actually did the Cunard climb a couple of years ago on a mountain bike, must give it another go soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cdaly_ wrote: »

Congratulations to you and the other Boardsies (and non-Boardsies) who qualified for PBP. Inspirational stuff indeed and many of you even cycled to and from the start/finish - (the thoughts of getting back on the bike for a 30k ride home after doing a 600k :eek:).

Is it true on of the lads slept in a phone box? :D

Congratulations to you and the other Boardsies (and non-Boardsies) who qualified for PBP. Inspirational stuff indeed and many of you even cycled to and from the start/finish - (the thoughts of getting back on the bike for a 30k ride home after doing a 600k :eek:).
    Ah sure I only had 10k to spin home...
    I wouldn't be at all surprised. If it was dry and sheltered from the wind, we'd have slept anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

A true audax super hero! I have a mental image of him walking in wearing a suit, spinning around 20 times and walking out in his cycling gear with people gasping in amazement!

Mostly we just have to walk into a shop in the lycra for people to gasp in amazement...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

happyhappy wrote: »
    A true audax super hero! I have a mental image of him walking in wearing a suit, spinning around 20 times and walking out in his cycling gear with people gasping in amazement!

I don't go for that bus shelter/phone box lark. Audax is hard enough, use the sleeping control if you can, no extra points for unnecessary hardship.

Although with two long stops in hotel lounges on Fleche we might qualify for boutique audax at this stage..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement