Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

As far as I can tell Stocking Lane ends just at the left turn into the Cul De sac that is Woodtown way (Worth a spin into to see what a 3 million gaff looks like)

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/farnham-hill-stocking-lane-rathfarnham-dublin-16/3104043

It's just a bog-standard residence, according to my mate Jerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

62kms this morning. Had planned at least a hundred so headed from Greystones down towards Arklow. Started out at 6-30am and it was cold, hands numb in almost June!

Made it almost to Brittas Bay and called it a day. Felt absolutely terrible so headed home. Glad i did because I seem to have gotten ****ing food poisoning or something.

Had to go out to Dundrum Shopping Centre with my wife and daughter-it was awful. Couldn't wait to get home to bed, had no energy at all.

Really hope it's only a 24hr thing with the Wicklow 200 next week!
    some of my neices, nephews & in laws have been puking & worse over the last couple of days, it appears to be 24-36 hour thing but leaves the pukee feeling as weak as a kitten!

good luck on the WW200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Today was my fastest commute into work. 8.66km in 19:45, average speed of 26.3kmph. It's a very flat cycle though.

Plenty of lights on the way and found myself catching up to cars quite a lot. Although that might hinder the average speed, I am pretty happy to see a red light from time to time :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Managed a few hill repeats yesterday afternoon last bit of hill work before Wicklow 200 the original plan was Mt. Leinster but the weather was sitting on the fence. Glad I didn't head that way in the end.

Instead I settled for a local ridge line.

I was aiming for 1500M but the rain/cold/wind was miserable when descending and after locking up both wheels at one hair pin I decided enough was enough and pulled the plug. Rolled in the door soaked to the bone shoes are still drying out at the min.

33km/890M plenty left in the tank.

If it's the same next week I'll definitely be ducking out at Laragh. Although I hear whisper that the big hot thing in the sky might make an appearance It'll be my first sunny sportive this year if it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A PB and a PW on the same stretch this evening. 20mins from the start of the cycle path at Alfie Byrne Road to Howth Harbour and 30mins coming back. The same westerly wind caused sailing to be cancelled so the journey was in vain (except for the exercise of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

55km or so today. Utterly uneventful! Found a new climb near home when I was out on Sunday so went back to that to finish off the cycle. It's 2.5km at 4.2% average so there is a nice little kick in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Out this morning... Up Stocking Ave/Military Rd. to Descend Gunny Hill and some flat x 2 for my morning exercise before work and breakfast. It's 16km with about 250m of climbing. I usually do three reps but I was late leaving.

I faff a lot in the mornings. I should faff less.

Then out this evening after work. The hard part was just leaving the house followed by a horrendous cycle over to Saggart into a head wind. At one stage my nose was press against my Garmin I was trying to get that low.

My HR hit 168 at one stage and that was on the flat :/

My legs were killing me by the time I got to Saggart and met a cycling buddy.

Proper HTFU stuff :D

Did Slade hill to Brittas, up Ballinascorney and then taking a right on the descent to go around the reservoirs.

It a lovely route around those reservoirs. Lots of Ups and Downs! Culminating in a seriously fast descent down Bohernabreena Hill. Had to take it handy though as the roads looked quite greasy plus it's scary going over 60 KPH if you're me.

Those little speed/rumble strips would make your eyeballs pop out.

Got wet but it was a nice sort of summer rain.

Ended up with 36km with 533m climbing. 785 climbed for the day, for 52km.

I also got my cat back. She's very skinny... but back. Must have got locked in a house where the residents went on holidays.

I'm delirah :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Out this morning... Up Stocking Ave/Military Rd. to Descend Gunny Hill and some flat x 2 for my morning exercise before work and breakfast. It's 16km with about 250m of climbing. I usually do three reps but I was late leaving.

I faff a lot in the mornings. I should faff less.

Then out this evening after work. The hard part was just leaving the house followed by a horrendous cycle over to Saggart into a head wind. At one stage my nose was press against my Garmin I was trying to get that low.

My HR hit 168 at one stage and that was on the flat :/

My legs were killing me by the time I got to Saggart and met a cycling buddy.

Proper HTFU stuff :D

Did Slade hill to Brittas, up Ballinascorney and then taking a right on the descent to go around the reservoirs.

It a lovely route around those reservoirs. Lots of Ups and Downs! Culminating in a seriously fast descent down Bohernabreena Hill. Had to take it handy though as the roads looked quite greasy plus it's scary going over 60 KPH if you're me.

Those little speed/rumble strips would make your eyeballs pop out.

Got wet but it was a nice sort of summer rain.

Ended up with 36km with 533m climbing. 785 climbed for the day, for 52km.

I also got my cat back. She's very skinny... but back. Must have got locked in a house where the residents went on holidays.

I'm delirah :D

Excellent news on the cat!

Haven't checked how far, but we completed leenane to lahinch today. We were cursed a few times - one of us got a puncture, but he couldn't undo the bolt on the valve - had to knock into a nearby house to borrow some pliers, then several tubes either had holes in them or punctured. Separately, my pannier connecting pins snapped, but we made it to Galway where I borrowed tools from Kearney cycles and fixed it up. The weather was great, but a good bit of a headwind along the Clare coasts - to be expected.

Now, pints. Tomorrow - see how far into Kerry we get.

My commute this morning.

28.23kms, 1hr 11. Avg 24.2 kmph. Managed to get up the hill in the strawberry beds this morning, had to stop at the top cos i missed the lights with my just about staying upright crawl, I followed the mantra of "start the climb like an old man finish like a young man"( I probably finished like a old cripple!)

Im was a happy wee chappie as i sped along chesterfield ave this morning, with a big silly grin on my boat race!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Okay, not today, but over the weekend, and first post so go easy! I've been lurking for a while now...

Got my first bike in 20 years on the bike-to-work about 6 weeks ago. Have since done a bunch of smaller rides and did 37km this weekend up Old Military Road and around to Enniskerry via Glencree. (Time, and not enthusiasm was what stopped me heading over the Sally Gap.)

Have done Cruagh Hill climb a couple of times too, all in preparation for an 85km spin to Wexford (one way!) via Laragh with some mates this Saturday.

Like many before me, I got a Hybrid for the commute, but having been bitten somewhat by the bug, now have some small regrets about not getting a road bike. However the reality is I've 3 small kids and most of my saddle time will be on bad roads in traffic (also I do love my Fuji). My missis informed me she knows already where my next year's bonus is going. :P

Enjoying the forum and will keep an eye out for Boardies jerseys!

5U4L2Y.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Welcome to the Dark side Dades :)

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dades you'll surprise yourself how easily you are able to up the distances on a bike.

You'll arrive in Wexford on Saturday and your reaction will be "is that it?". :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

awec wrote: »
    Dades you'll surprise yourself how easily you are able to up the distances on a bike.
    Actually that was the one of the first lightbulb moments on the bike... just how far you can get in a short space of time. I've Google Maps worn out planning new places to get to.

Turns out, places I considered "the country" in my childhood are 30 mins away. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Dades wrote: »
    Actually that was the one of the first lightbulb moments on the bike... just how far you can get in a short space of time. I've Google Maps worn out planning new places to get to.

Turns out, places I considered "the country" in my childhood are 30 mins away. :P

Your second lightbulb moment might be getting your crankset down off the rock!!:pac:

Safe pedalling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Dades wrote: »
    My missis informed me she knows already where my next year's bonus is going. :P
    ^^^
    So, what bike is your missus getting?...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gofaster

My cycle today: 65km, 27kph, 1,800ft climbing

Would like to say it was easy but it was a pretty hard effort. Can't post the strava link cause I'm new!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Got out for an hour or so after getting the kids to bed.

Hilly, and not best attempted after a big feed of barbequed chicken wings and legs... I thought I was going to barf on the first hill.

https://app.strava.com/activities/317601063/segments/7500730367

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Brought the hybrid in as far as Liffey Valley today and used it for my spin to work in the GPO. I'd been meaning to do it for a while but between one thing and another I didn't get round to it.
    It was the first real spin on the hybrid since I bought the road bike a year ago. I had intended to use it as a winter bike but I just loved using the roadbike so I rode that in good weather and bad. The hybrid has been used as my Turbo bike but thats it.
    A few observations so- The Giant Roam is a heavy lump that takes ages to accelerate. Its 14kg weight also does it no favours on any kind of hills. HOWEVER, It's a great yoke for holding speed once it gets going, held 35-36 most of the way from LV to Heuston and even up to the mid 50's. It's also very comfortable despite me pumping the tyres up to max pressure. I feel like I've neglected the poor thing for the last year so when I got home I gave it a bit of a rub and lubed it up. It's the bike that made me love cycling again and today it reminded me of that.

Did the 12k from liffey valley to the GPO in 24 mins https://www.strava.com/activities/317511136

Did the return in 28 minutes
    https://www.strava.com/activities/317511174

Quicker than I've managed recently in the car both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

50km tonight, uo Ballinascorney, out onto N81 and onto the Texaco just past Blessington. Home on the N81 and turning into City West, then down past Corcaigh Park for home.
    26.2kmph.
    Swallowed a fly after about 5km and spent about 20 mins trying not to barf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

terrydel wrote: »
    50km tonight, uo Ballinascorney, out onto N81 and onto the Texaco just past Blessington. Home on the N81 and turning into City West, then down past Corcaigh Park for home.
    26.2kmph.
    Swallowed a fly after about 5km and spent about 20 mins trying not to barf!

I know an old lady who swallowed a fly........ You now have that bloody song rattling round in my head!!!

Did a 36k spin this evening when I got a free hour , 30.5 average, down the coast road and back up the n11. Flat all da way. That will be it until Sunday then!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Club race, we went out with the Rás team members, first 11km was done in 15 mins with a 42kmph average, I got dropped by the main group at 14km with my heart rate average at 95%, I worked with 2 other lads and we did well, we picked another lad up at 23km and we all worked together then. Got home in 82 minutes at an average of 36.1kmph over the 50km route. Hooped.com!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Daroxtar wrote: »
    A few observations so- The Giant Roam is a heavy lump that takes ages to accelerate. Its 14kg weight also does it no favours on any kind of hills. HOWEVER, It's a great yoke for holding speed once it gets going, held 35-36 most of the way from LV to Heuston and even up to the mid 50's. It's also very comfortable despite me pumping the tyres up to max pressure. I feel like I've neglected the poor thing for the last year so when I got home I gave it a bit of a rub and lubed it up. It's the bike that made me love cycling again and today it reminded me of that.

Treat yourself to a pair of Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres and run them at about 50psi. I'm loving them on my Thorn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

50 km with the club at 27 km Average , really struggled tonight . Legs back chest , everything hurt .

Lahinch to Killarney done - about 120 to 130km today. Thankfully no mechanical issues today as the cable ties are still holding. Great days cycling, lots of sunshine.

Decided to follow the route less travelled coming into Killarney, and boy did it hurt. Came through the hills and over this mast which felt like Kippure went on holiday! Anyone any idea what this hill climb is called?

Next stop: Bantry

7t4kN3_thumb.jpg

My commute this morning. 28.45 Kms 23.1avg, only 129 meteres elevation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Handy 76k, relatively flat. About 200 metres climbing and a pace of 29km/h

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dónal wrote: »
    Lahinch to Killarney done - about 120 to 130km today. Thankfully no mechanical issues today as the cable ties are still holding. Great days cycling, lots of sunshine.

Decided to follow the route less travelled coming into Killarney, and boy did it hurt. Came through the hills and over this mast which felt like Kippure went on holiday! Anyone any idea what this hill climb is called?

Next stop: Bantry

7t4kN3_thumb.jpg

Are you doing a touring holiday or something?

45km today with over 750m of climbing and I felt every peddle turn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Went for 50k last night. I had to stop after about 10k to play around with my right cleat as that knee has been at me on and off for the last few months and I can't seem to find a comfortable position with it. Even when I think I have it right after about 80k I'll start to feel it.

I got back on my way still not entirely happy but better then it was when I noticed after a few km I didn't seem to be clipped in on the left. I was clipped in but there was a lot of play and not the click when you lock in. Thought maybe I had damaged the cleat at the last stop but continued on as it wasn't too bad.

I stopped again after 25k to try once more to sort my right knee and look at the left cleat as well. Cleat look fine when I then noticed a little bolt was sticking out at the back of the pedal where the locking mech is. Managed to push it somewhat back in to get me home and figure it out later. Then at the last set of lights before home as I pushed off the whole back of the pedal came loose, basically only half of it was now being held onto the pedal by the bolt.

In my innocence I thought grand I'll take it off and bring it into the LBS where I bought them in the morning and they'll give me a new one, I only have them 3 months. No such luck, oh that'll be a warranty claim, grand so you'll give me a new set and I'll be on my way. Eh no, we'll send them off to Shimano for checking. Well I've a little thing called the WW200 on Sunday which I kinda need pedals for!! Their response was that there was no way they'd have the claim sorted with Shimano by then, but we can sell you a new pair!!!

I asked surely you have an old pedal in the workshop you can lend me (this is not a small one man shop). Off he goes into the workshop and comes out with 2 Look Keo pedals (I should have mentioned mine are SPD-SL) and explains that he knows they are different but we can sell you the cleats for them!! or we can sell you new pedals and credit you if Shimano allow the warranty claim. At this stage I was in a rush to get back to the office so I said grand I'll buy a new set and come back when I take off the other pedal to process the claim this evening.

To be honest I'm kinda fuming now about their attitude, so I'm going to kick up a bit of a fuss later. How their warranty claim with Shimano is my problem is beyond me. Maybe I have unreasonable expectations of customer service and this is how the industry works but I don't think if I went back to Debenhams with a broken kettle which has seen 3 months use they'd be sending me off with no kettle and a gentle, sure we'll give you a shout when we hear back from the manufacturer. It's a cheap enough part not a frame I'm asking them to replace.

I tend to buy most of my stuff in the LBS to try and keep the business local and so that if there are any issues it's easier to sort. After this I'll be taking it all online unless I need it urgently. As a comparison I bought a turbo from Amazon last year and through my own stupidity broke a part while assembling it, Amazon straight away offered me credit to buy the replacement part if I could source the part locally or swap out for a whole new turbo, no questions asked, no insinuations that I'd broken it (which in fact in that case I had) or waffle about them having to send it off to Tacx first.

Long rambling rant over. Cycle was grand all things considered, but I went way too fast for want was supposed to be a gentle leg loosener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

First real spin since February 22, being doing physio for the past three weeks to get movement and strength back into my hip. Felt grand but fitness is way down, heart rate was bouncing on the limit even on mild efforts.

A good start and kept it rubber side down !!

https://www.strava.com/activities/318086364

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement