Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Borderfox wrote: »
    First real spin since February 22, being doing physio for the past three weeks to get movement and strength back into my hip. Felt grand but fitness is way down, heart rate was bouncing on the limit even on mild efforts.

A good start and kept it rubber side down !!

https://www.strava.com/activities/318086364

Well done mr fox. Great to hear you are rolling again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Not today but last Sunday I decided to tackle Kippure. Coming from sea level at Shankill via Kilternan, Enniskerry and Glencree. 1024m of climbing and all of it into a headwind. It'll be worth it for the view I thought.

Soon as I neared the top the bloody hailstones came down like needles. Had to take a breather about 200m to go to the mast. Fingers numb from the rain and wind I didn't even stop at the top; just turned face and gingerly descended to the gate. By the time I got there the fecking sun was shining again! Could almost freewheel home.

56k, over a kilometer of climbing. 2:47. Not fast. I'll be back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Crocked wrote: »
    ......In my innocence I thought grand I'll take it off and bring it into the LBS where I bought them in the morning and they'll give me a new one, I only have them 3 months. No such luck, oh that'll be a warranty claim, grand so you'll give me a new set and I'll be on my way. Eh no, we'll send them off to Shimano for checking. Well I've a little thing called the WW200 on Sunday which I kinda need pedals for!! Their response was that there was no way they'd have the claim sorted with Shimano by then, but we can sell you a new pair!!!

Your contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer. See http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Exactly what I was thinking Blobbie, to be honest there was that much faffing about in the shop and lack of inititive by them added to my time constraint, I kinda just went with it at the time so as I'd have pedals for the weekend. I've to go back anyway now with the second pedal so I'll be arguing my point more strongly then.

I probably should have just left it till this evening in the first place when I'd have no time pressure but I genuinely thought they'd take one look, see the problem and sort out the replacement with the minimum of fuss. Wasn't expecting the hassle and having to ask them for a loan of a pedal never mind having to buy a new set. Anyway lesson learnt.

I'd actually meant to ask them over the last week to price me for upgrading the groupset on the bike rather then buy online and diy'ing it. After today I'd be reluctant to use them as any perceived benefit in service/backup has gone. Will see how this evening goes

godtabh wrote: »
    Are you doing a touring holiday or something?

45km today with over 750m of climbing and I felt every peddle turn!

Yep - doing malin to mizen, via the west coast with some mates. Did it 6 years ago so decided to go for it again this year.

A short 85km done today from Killarney to Bantry, but took in the gap of dunloe, black valley, molls gap and the caha pass. Just 45km left to mizen head now.

Legs are pretty sore at this stage but just a short trip tomorrow (head might be fuzzy though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

cjt156 wrote: »
    Not today but last Sunday I decided to tackle Kippure. Coming from sea level at Shankill via Kilternan, Enniskerry and Glencree. 1024m of climbing and all of it into a headwind. It'll be worth it for the view I thought.

Soon as I neared the top the bloody hailstones came down like needles. Had to take a breather about 200m to go to the mast. Fingers numb from the rain and wind I didn't even stop at the top; just turned face and gingerly descended to the gate. By the time I got there the fecking sun was shining again! Could almost freewheel home.

What's the surface like up to kippure after you go off road??? It's it suitable for a road bike or mtb only??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Crocked wrote: »
    I'd actually meant to ask them over the last week to price me for upgrading the groupset on the bike rather then buy online and diy'ing it. After today I'd be reluctant to use them as any perceived benefit in service/backup has gone. Will see how this evening goes
    email shimano and ask them what their policy is. name the shop in your email; shimano won't be happy that the shop is shunting customers to a different brand.

that sort of approach has worked for me a couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

cjt156 wrote: »

Did you touch the wall at the top? If you didn't it doesn't count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭devonp

happyhappy wrote: »
    What's the surface like up to kippure after you go off road??? It's it suitable for a road bike or mtb only??

+1 whats the surface of the closed road to Kippure like?

devonp wrote: »
    +1 whats the surface of the closed road to Kippure like?

Well worn tarmac with lots of small loose chippings and gravel.

Fine for going up but makes for a hairy descent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

email shimano and ask them what their policy is. name the shop in your email; shimano won't be happy that the shop is shunting customers to a different brand.

that sort of approach has worked for me a couple of times.

I'd prefer to just resolve it with the store if I can before contacting Shimano, I'm already out of pocket with them anyway.

I went back into them last night, workshop rather then the counter, and again while the lad in the workshop was clearly trying to be helpful it was just the party line of it's a Shimano warranty issue. I guessing that's just the training the staff get to refer everything as a manufacturer problem.

Anyway he got the pedal back together and was sending me on my way, obviously I wasn't too keen to be going out for a cycle with a part which had already failed after 3 months. So I told him I'd already bought a new set today and to keep them here and process the claim. They couldn't as the pedal was now back together the only way they can now make a claim is when they fall apart again!!

There was no point going any further with the lads last night as there wasn't really anything they could do. Have sent an email now so hopefully someone further up the food chain will get back to me and sort it out.

Bit of a farce all-round though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Been meaning to get out for a spin at lunchtime for a while now and finally managed it today. It was 32 degrees at that time (nearer 36 when I cycled home at 7!) and I nearly melted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Nice spin out to Howth via malahide . Some wheel sucker on a TT bike bizarrely drafted behind me to Sutton . Never went by me or said a word.
    Then when I got to the cross roads I stopped for the Red light only for him to break the light and go past .

Right that's it I thought . Caught up with him and sat behind him up to the village where I blew then out of it going up the hill. He reeked of a triathlete to be honest -)
    Not long back on a bike after ten years and different breed out there now . Not as many nods as the oul days ) and what's it with all the red light breaking . Let's not give George Hook any more ammo...

On the way home got abuse off some idiot about taking up the whole road. ???This coming from a grant Mitchell lookalike in a range rover FFs .

Averaged just over 18mph for the 30 mile spin on a steel Lemond . Old ones are the best ones ...

Great to get the leg over again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Nice spin out to Howth via malahide . Some wheel sucker on a TT bike bizarrely drafted behind me to Sutton . Never went by me or said a word.
    Then when I got to the cross roads I stopped for the Red light only for him to break the light and go past .

Right that's it I thought . Caught up with him and sat behind him up to the village where I blew then out of it going up the hill. He reeked of a triathlete to be honest -)
    Not long back on a bike after ten years and different breed out there now . Not as many nods as the oul days ) and what's it with all the red light breaking . Let's not give George Hook any more ammo...

On the way home got abuse off some idiot about taking up the whole road. ???This coming from a grant Mitchell lookalike in a range rover FFs .

Averaged just over 18mph for the 30 mile spin on a steel Lemond . Old ones are the best ones ...

Its weird having someone suck your wheel but not make any attempt to communicate or acknowledge you. Happened to me a couple of weeks back. He peeled off when I slowed down at the end of my own loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Not long back on a bike after ten years and different breed out there now . Not as many nods as the oul days ) and what's it with all the red light breaking . Let's not give George Hook any more ammo..
    Gimps on two wheels as well as four are all too common in my experience. For me it's just easier to just ride on and enjoy my ride.

Good day to out, except for the showers - feck me it was cold when I got caught in one!

Paddy

Job done, 743km done in the last seven days from Malin to Mizen through rain, hail, ridiculous wind and finally some sun. Delighted it's over but sad at the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dónal wrote: »
    Job done, 743km done in the last seven days from Malin to Mizen through rain, hail, ridiculous wind and finally some sun. Delighted it's over but sad at the same time!
    Great stuff Donal. :cool:

Wall? What wall? There's a railing around the mast and it's utility buildings. I don't even recall seeing a wall up there:confused:!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Wall? What wall? There's a railing around the mast and it's utility buildings. I don't even recall seeing a wall up there:confused:!

Only messing with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ImThatGuy

Bit delayed, went for my first long cycle on my new road bike last Sunday, only planned on going out to Bray but continued to Greystones, windy and warm! mapmyride. com/workout/1007988285

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

happyhappy wrote: »

As above it's worn tarmac with gravel coming through in spots; fine to climb but wouldn't descend at anything like full pelt.

I clung to the guard rail and cried inside for a little while - will that do?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

You have been away for a while. I haven't seen imperial stats posted before.

Switch to the metric system and watch your average speed and distances miraculously jump up!

fillup wrote: »
    ...I haven't seen imperial stats posted before..
    They appear occasionally especially from our colleagues up north.

It just seems wrong though particularly when people use both together:

"I did 80k averaging 28.5km/h and climbed 2,300 feet".

"I did 25 miles in one hour and averaged 40km/h".

WTF??

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wind is mental today in south Dublin. Out earlier and it seemed no matter what direction I turned I was cycling into the wind.

Couple of hairy moments where the wind actually moved me sideways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

179km around Wicklow. Bloody awful wind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/319641028

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

They appear occasionally especially from our colleagues up north.

It just seems wrong though particularly when people use both together:

"I did 80k averaging 28.5km/h and climbed 2,300 feet".

"I did 25 miles in one hour and averaged 40km/h".

WTF??

For years after we went metric, plywood and chipboard were sold in 2400 X 1200 X 3/8" or 1/2" sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Yes the Wind was mental today twice I got hit by a front with some very strong gusts that nearly pushed me across the road.. I only did 45km but legs feel I did twice that !..I hope it dies for those doing the Wicklow tomorrow

https://app.strava.com/activities/319473482

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

I have been off the bike for the past 10 days and yesterday decided to tune up the cassette/shifter on the new Zondas and the shifter disintegrated:mad:. So with the Olmo out of commission, in desperation I dug out the mountain bike with knobblies on.
    Went for a 30k loop just to get out and glad to be back in the saddle even in a limited capacity. Amazing what speed I could maintain on the beast. I couldn't believe how less comfortable the mountain bike was overall it made me think of how saddle design has advanced over the years.

Expected to see much more out on such a morning but only met a couple of guys out on hybrids.
    Overall delighted to be back on the road and looking forward to the miles ahead.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Wicklow 100.
    102.3km
    1333m climbing
    4 hours 3 mins
    25.2km/hr avg
    Top speed - 66km/hr

Amazing day for it.

Add that to the 50km Friday and 55km yay and that's 207km done in about 8 hours 20 mins total over 48 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Just back from two laps of the airport. About 34K in around 1 hour 5mins - can't upload to strava until I get home from work. Around 30 degrees here but theres a cooling wind. Back in the office now, and even after a shower I'm melting....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement