Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Just back from two laps of the airport. About 34K in around 1 hour 5mins - can't upload to strava until I get home from work. Around 30 degrees here but theres a cooling wind. Back in the office now, and even after a shower I'm melting....

Hi
    What are the roads like to cycle around that loop, much traffic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Expected to see much more out on such a morning but only met a couple of guys out on hybrids.

Everyone was in Wicklow today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Everyone was in Wicklow today :D

Must have been! I know people were even coming from Limerick for it.

Must have been! I know people were even coming from Limerick for it.

There must've been around 10 camper vans from the Donegal & Northern Ireland parked in the car park over night. Clubs from all four corners seemed to be well represented. Although I didn't see any Naas cycling club members surprisingly you usually can't miss there trains.

Wicklow 100 + 24
    1601m climbing
    4 hours 36 mins
    24.6km/hr avg
    Top speed - 72km/hr

A great day out and very well organised. Well done to the IVCA and all the volunteers. Whatever the price ye paid for the weather it was more than worth it.

200 or bust next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

iwillhtfu wrote: »

200 or bust next year :)

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

+2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Hi
    What are the roads like to cycle around that loop, much traffic?

If you mean Dublin Airport, the roads can be quite busy and narrow in places. Alas, I'm in Zurich and there are dedicated cycle lanes or shared cycle/pedestrian ways for most of my route. Only trouble here is in the good weather on a weekend you get lots of rollerbladers, who insist on blading (or whatever it's called) side-by-side wherever possible or listening to music and so are oblivious to anyone else.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/797090029

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Club spin today and I stayed with the fast group all the way for first time. 80km, over 27.5 avg. Flat enough route with few sneaky little hills. I usually blow up after a while and have to slink off back to the slower group. delighted with myself ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

+2

Me too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Solo spin today Swords, Rush, Balbriggan, Naul back to Swords.
    56 km avg speed 30.4
    Tempo intervals kept the speed high.

Lovely day to be out on a bike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newbiecamper

Wicklow 200. Thanks to the volunteers and marshals for getting everyone on the road and helping to keep everyone safe. In my case special thanks to the group from Swords CC for the tow for the last 15km. My legs were gone at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

1100 furlongs cycled today. Average speed 23.9km/h. 1.7 nautical miles of vertical gain.

I did the WW 120 mile sportive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I accomplished a goal today. I've been looking at Truskmore everytime I'm back in Sligo since I got back cycling. I went up there once 19 years ago and it nearly killed me. I pushed the bike up for 3/4 of it and still nearly died. 8km @7%-553m in total but the real climb from inside the gate is 4km@10%-428m. It's 2 kilmashogues on top of each other or 4 times Kippure from the stream. It's ranked 4th toughest climb in Ireland after Mt Leinster Mast, Allihes Mast and Priests Leap. In short, It's a right bitch.
    I have asthma, scrawny legs and a small Paunch. I'm really not great going uphill, although I am improving slowly.

Today I made it up. I wobbled off going over the first cattle grid but managed to get going again after about 30 seconds of struggling to clip back in. I nearly lost it a few more times due to rear wheel spin on the greasy surface. The road was slippy all over after a shower. I tried my best to keep the HR in check, I was suffering but it was bearable. There were a few times I was going so slow I thought the Auto Pause would kick in. The last couple of hundred metres were a joy though, only about 5%- It felt like a flat after the previous 3.5 km.

The descent was almost tougher than the climb, sheep everywhere and that greasy surface meant I was white knuckled all the way down.

I headed back and my garmin died a few km short of the house so I am missing them. As I pulled into the drive herself was going for a drive with the kids so she says "sure why dont you have a cuppa and go for another spin?"
    So I threw the garmin on charge and had a cuppa and headed off again and did another 30 odd km , up to the top of the Ladies Brea and home.

All in, Ballisodare-Sligo-Drumcliff-Ballintrilllick-Glenniff-Truskmore-Ballisodare-Ladies Brea
    111.8 km in a leisurely 4;51;31 with 1387m climbed. Acccording to map my ride I did 115. I was half tempted to upload the MMR GPX file to strava to get my grand fondo badge but I'll leave it; I have an excuse to do the 115 next week :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/320711676

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Out for a club spin this morning. It was such a beautiful day and kind of regret not signing up for Wicklow, hopefully next year

73.3km, 33.8km/h, 272m

https://www.strava.com/activities/320231192

About 20 mins after I was running a local 5km charity run. Twas an interesting way to cool down

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭fillup

Instead of my usual outdoor jaunt I did an hour of cycling round and round in circles inside a big shed today.

Didn't really get anywhere but it seemed to please the large crowd that had gathered to cheer me on.

Regards

Sir Bradley.

Oh and they me a funny looking helmet to match my cool shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

fillup wrote: »
    Instead of my usual outdoor jaunt I did an hour of cycling round and round in circles inside a big shed today.

Didn't really get anywhere but it seemed to please the large crowd that had gathered to cheer me on.

Regards

Sir Bradley.

Oh and they me a funny looking helmet to match my cool shoes!
    pity about the socks though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

39.5 @27.3 kmph so very happy with that. Did a bit of single leg work during the spin trying to work out all the stiffness from my left hip. Good progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sunday: 74km Newport to Belmullet @ 18.5km/h. Headwind for most of the way, but a beautiful day.

jnPLeZf.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/320947491

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Chose the wrong day to cycle 93k to Wexford over the Sally Gap... windy Saturday. Stop pedalling, and the wind would literally push you back up the hill. Only had a bike since mid-April... madness. Should be a walk in the park next time. :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/319657215

Glad the folks on the Wicklow 100/200 had it better on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Got out this morning to enjoy the sun, while we have it and was I glad I did. It's absolutely beautiful. The Boards kit order couldn't have come at a better time :cool:

52.2km, 31.5km/h, 209m

https://www.strava.com/activities/321601194

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Stop pedalling, and the wind would literally push you back up the hill.

This will teach you to pedal, damn it!

pedal-damn-it.jpg

:D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Finished the Granfondo Stelvio on sunday. 137km of climbing bliss/torture! rose from 7deg at 6am to 40deg as I started the final climb. All in about 3200m of climbing. Great fun descending though!

Just about to leave:

11391475_10155597266850468_6594587465147872010_n.jpg?oh=3f0a1447048bd90df232785c39827030&oe=55F13A67

View from the top!
    11407193_10155592509285468_1429012918838050719_n.jpg?oh=c6c7e0c6560eefc0b787a73fdabc1380&oe=55F71D6B

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Went for a nice easy jaunt on Sunday

20km on my vintage bike as part of a Triathalon Relay Team. Wsa going to take the carbon Felt but a gearlever problem put paid to that !

On to the Vitus and changed the freewheel to an 13-18T 6 speed with a 42/52 rings.

Our swimmer came out of the water 750m in 18 mins. I finished the 20km cycle in 36 mins and our runner done the 5 k in 24 mins.. We all had a blast

Trojan wrote: »
    Sunday: 74km Newport to Belmullet

You should cycle down to Black sod. The light house is uninspiring but it's a nice spin with some nice beaches to stop off at.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jober

No work today so headed out on the bike

Tallaght ,Manor Kilbride Sallysgap laragh wicklow town ,greystones bray and back to tallaght
    140km
    Tan line coming on nicely after today (more like a light pink)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

What a glorious morning for a spin. 85k at 30.5 avg. two road kill incidents around carton house. One fox and one badger. About 20 odd lads fishing along the canal on the way in to kilcock. man they have a lot of gear to lug around. Apart from traffic noise it's probably a cool way to kick back and relax.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Luxman wrote: »
    two road kill incidents around carton house. One fox and one badger.
    what do you mean by incidents? you passed them or were involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

what do you mean by incidents? you passed them or were involved?
    Just passed them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Weather is perfect, wanted to see if I could do an average 30kmph. Felt like a long interval!! Had a great massage today so there's the balance

http://app.strava.com/activities/321960760

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement